[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what if...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: LalahAmuro.jpg (74KB, 892x670px) Image search: [Google]
LalahAmuro.jpg
74KB, 892x670px
Let me preface this by saying, I'm surprised how different an impact the MSG Trilogies have on me, when watching them stoned. It's really quite amazing.

I never really considered the character impact that Lalah and Amuro's encounter in space had for the entirety of the series (beyond the obvious Char/Amuro rivalry being rooted in the death of a mutually loved one).

What struck me the most was how absolutely distraught Lalah seemed to be, that she "met Amuro" too late and that she had already decided that her reason to fight was to protect Char, the one person who found her, gave her purpose, and perhaps truly loved her.

I've never done LSD or DMT, but I like to think the experience of being connected, feeling truly connected and understanding a person, things, feelings, the universe, existence itself, etc... truly becoming "one" in a metaphysical sense, is similar to the experience Lalah and Amuro had.

With that said, shouldn't such a profound experience of being the first 2 humans to fully, 100% understand one another in an instant, be more than enough for someone to rethink his or her intentions/reasons for fighting/reasons for existing? I am surprised that Lalah chose not to reconcile, rather to recoil in disappointment.

It's worth noting that in the MSG novels, i think it was Chalia Bull who made a similar mistake-- he tried to "push" too hard to become one with someone (was it Kusko Al? I can't remember!) but the person reacted in a similar way-- it was far too much to understand and take in, and so the advance was met with rejection.

So:

1. What if Lalah reconciled, fully took in the Newtype encounter, and joined Amuro? Would she or he even still wish to fight in a war?

2. One step further, how "connected" could 2 newtypes truly become? Is there a limit? If Amuro and Lalah had kept the encounter going, would there be something catastrophic like a Second Impact or similar? What are the physical consequences of a pure Newtype resonance?
>>
>>15465939
>shouldn't such a profound experience be more than enough for someone to rethink his or her intentions/reasons for existing
This would work under the assumption that those intentions/reasons were rational.
Tomino constantly tries to make the point that people are not rational. This particular example is meant to demonstrate this point, I think.
>>
>stoned

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>15465939
>What are the physical consequences of a pure Newtype resonance?
I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't had two pilots literally fuse along with their Gundams yet. Maybe when they finally get around to a Unicorn sequel.
>>
Same here OP
I take massive bong rips and rewatch old stuff that i watched before
Ex. I rewatched Unicorn and the fight scenes were extra dazzling but everything else was still bad.
>>
>>15465988
It's 2017, you fucking troglodyte. I bet you're one of those retards that pretends that they're 'drunk' when someone points out an error in your posts.
>>
>>15466000
>It's 2017
Yeah, I know, it's [CURRENT YEAR], now fuck off back to r/
>>
>>15466040
Youre not one of those straight edge wierdos that jacks off to anime, are you anon?
>>
File: DoublesZeta.jpg (181KB, 499x498px) Image search: [Google]
DoublesZeta.jpg
181KB, 499x498px
>>15465992
OP here-- I was thinking something along those lines actually-- an irreversible change.

>>15465988
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

>>15465975
I can see that, yes. Tomino to show this incredibly deep/spiritual/etheral enlightenment between humans... only for it to fail because humanity just isn't ready. Pity as I'd like to see a Gundam show that's not afraid to really explore the philospophical and metaphysical consequences of truly understanding the essence of a person, people, place or thing.

>>15465996
Thunderbolt is next on the list for me. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to go down and see 0080 again in an altered state. I'm actually nervous as the first time I saw 0080, I was stone cold sober and the movie hit me like a ton of bricks. I can only assume...

>>15466000
>>15466040
Chill friends-- enjoy and contribute to the discussion.
>>
>>15466066
Watched the Thubderbolt episodes dabbed out.
Can feel Io's smuggness a mile away.
Darryl became my fav in the series as well.
Real shit, gundam is great while high.
>>
>>15465996
How was the finale while being high?
>>
>>15466066
>to show this spiritual enlightenment only for it to fail because humanity just isn't ready
The dichotomy between body and spirit is a false one. Rational reasoning can only function on top of inborn or practically acquired knowledge that is by default irrational.
Thus you can see how idea that humans can gain complete conscious understanding of themselves i.e. "spiritual enlightenment" through bypassing their irrational animalistic nature by the virtue some sort of transhuman effort is rendered infeasible.
A sort of understanding can only be gained through constantly expanding the base of our empirical knowledge. That is why in writing his characters Tomino focuses on individual development and how each individual is shaped by their environment and personal experience.
>>
>>15466084
>battle with Neo Zeong
Lit af
>time travel
Kinda over the top but cool
>that end of time thing and speech
Arguably bad. Easily couldve been the begining of time had FF not been jaded to see more
>final parts
Easy to get through and banana was extra annoying along with roddy banshee boy getting cucked
>StarRingChild.mp4
Holy moley that was an amazing animation and song.
>>
>>15465939
>I've never done LSD or DMT, but I like to think the experience of being connected, feeling truly connected and understanding a person, things, feelings, the universe, existence itself, etc... truly becoming "one" in a metaphysical sense, is similar to the experience Lalah and Amuro had.
Have you watched Space Runaway Ideon? I don't want to spoil it if you haven't watched it, but if you want to go down the rabbit hole of Tomino-mysticism, Ideon has exactly what you're looking for
>>
>>15466167
>Thus you can see how idea that humans can gain complete conscious understanding of themselves i.e. "spiritual enlightenment" through bypassing their irrational animalistic nature by the virtue some sort of transhuman effort is rendered infeasible.
That is where I find the disconnect is basically "because writing the plot demands it."

WHat I'd like to see is a story where the plot demands the exact opposite. That is to say, I also disagree with you. Because our bodies are simply shells, it is only through transhuman effort that we can begin to grow, evolve-- adapt.

If anything, Gundam has shown the finite limits of the human body-- it is precisely due to lack of transhuman effort, acceptance and mastery that all the issues come forth. Characters try to couch their Newtype abilities in terms they can understand. War, peace, revolution, life and death.

>>15466296
No, but I'd like to. I know enough about Ideon to perhaps BS someone into thinking I've seen it, but I've yet to. Could themes from Ideon work in a Gundam series? If anything, I'd say UC Gundam has earned this sort of "holistic ending," as it were.
>>
>>15466342
>Could themes from Ideon work in a Gundam series?
Yes, that's exactly what I want to suggest. I don't want to get too deep into spoiler territory, but the idea of that sort of annihilation of selfhood into a universal "oneness" (a oneness that is outside of the boundaries of war, nationhood, erc.) is a big part of Ideon. The scene where Lalah dies and "sees time" suggests the sort of ego death and absorption into a universal spirit that is central to Tomino's work.
Based on the question "how connected could 2 newtypes become", a total connection in the living world really isn't possible, since total unity is predicated on total self-destruction. If you connect with the dead-posthuman-newtype world in life, then you end up totally mindfucked like Kamille.
>>
>>15466342
>Because our bodies are simply shells
As I said this is factually not true and transhuman effort can't change it. It's just simple biology.
>because the plot demands it
It seems to me the other way round. Tomino genuinely tried to write a story of superior being that can get along without effort but his intuitive understanding of psychology wouldn't let him rob the free will and destroy the integrity of his characters like that.
If such a thing as Happy Tomino exists it is because he finally realized that if he wants his characters to be happy he should just stop trying to force them to get along.
As >>15466391 pointed out all examples of complete understanding involve people that are dead because that is the only way to achieve "ego death". You wouldn't want to be dead now, would you?
>>
>>15466066
>doubles zeta scores doubles
HONTOU NO KOTO SAAA
>>
>>15467796
OP again-- I'd argue that "ego death" via "death" is only one way to achieve this. If we look to NGE, the systematic destruction of the AT Field results in ego death-- but is this a "death" in the way we understand it? Death is just a transition state to enlightenment/unity/oneness. Our attachment to this world clouds the true nature of death.

To say:
>You wouldn't want to be dead now, would you?
I think is oversimplification. If anything, all we can get from Zeta is that someone who is Dead (in the traditional sense) and someone who is Alive cannot properly assimilate and reconcile as one.

Zeta and Unicorn show the dead can assimilate as one. It seems like MSG was on the cusp of showing two alive persons could become one as well-- until Lalah pulled away.

>>15467800
I was surprised myself. Also checked.
>>
>>15468441
>If we look to NGE
Exactly. Shinji rejects the idea of Instrumentality because it is ego death. We equate existing with the consciousness of ourselves i.e.that we have free will. Our concept of free will is at the basis of spirituality - the ideas of morality, religion etc. can only exist because of our intuitive perception that we have free will and this perception can only exist because we are subjectively conscious of ourselves as separate entities.
From a moral perspective without individual agency the concept of unity is also meaningless.
In effect the rejection of individual agency is also a rejection of the moral principles that motivate us to seek spiritual enlightenment.
>>
>>15465939
Way too long.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.