[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright Hollywood. Now what did we learn from this experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 1

File: FIVE SEQUELS.jpg (238KB, 882x1124px) Image search: [Google]
FIVE SEQUELS.jpg
238KB, 882x1124px
Alright Hollywood. Now what did we learn from this experience (trainwreck)
>>
>>15458872

Nothing, see you next week.
>>
>>15458872
Holywood learned to make a good remake and a decent anime adaptation. Cry more pops
>>
>>15458872
Power Rangers still hasn't opened in Japan or China. $80 million domestic is way better than any reasonable person would have given that movie, especially with the movies it was up against. It could still make its money back and get (probably lower budget) sequels greenlit. Granted, it's not likely, but it's within the realm of possibility and people gloating over its failure are doing so prematurely.
>>
>Hollywood
>Learning
>>
>>15458872
>Alright Hollywood. Now what did we learn from this experience (trainwreck)
That a movie can bomb in the US and still make a profit internationally, and vice versa.

I'm sorry, Hollywood already knew that. This is what *you* are learning .
>>
>>15458929
>It could still make its money back
Key word being could

>>15458949
Have you even heard of at least three big budget movie that wasn't Transformers that made it's money purely internationally and got a sequel
>>
>>15458872
That even crappy movies will make back their budgets and so they should keep making them?
>>
>>15458872
Be honest here, OP: have you even seen the Power Rangers movie?

>>15458991
Power Rangers wasn't a crappy movie. It wasn't great. They spent so much time on character development and team-building that there wasn't actually that much of them of actually being Power Rangers and doing Power Rangers stuff. Brian Tyler's score was also a bit generic and I felt that it needed to pack more punch at times. But still it was a pretty good movie.
>>
>>15458991
Neither of these movies have made back their budgets yet

Remember, double the listed budget is considered a profit
>>
They didn't learn from Evolution.
>>
>>15458962
Not him, but at least Pacific Rim (for as long as it's taking for the sequel to be made, anyways).
>>
>>15459024
Remember, the budget listed is the production budget; marketing not included, so it's even worse.
>>
>>15459064
That's what I was trying to say yes

>>15459062
Okay I will give you that one.
>>
>>15459024
>Neither of these movies have made back their budgets yet
Do you not see the part where it includes the foreign markets? They make that money too.
>Remember, double the listed budget is considered a profit
No, even a single cent over the budget is a profit. Double the listed budget may be what the studio considers a success.
>>
>>15459071
>No, even a single cent over the budget is a profit.
Ah yes, that must be why Ghostbusters is considered a profitable movie and not a flop
>>
>>15459075
Like I said, there is a difference between profitable and successful.
>>
>>15459081
Yes there is. Profitable is scrimping past that double the listed budget I mentioned. Successful is shooting way past that.

That Fantastic Four remake from a couple of years back made over it's listed budget and it was reported that it's failure ended up costing Fox the money they had earned from the actually profitable Days of Future Past. You can say the new movies are "profitable" all you want but that's not how they are going to be remembered or seen.
>>
>>15459094
You buy two 24 packs of water for $10 each, you budgeted $20 to allow you to start this endeavor.
You sell the bottles of water for $1 each, your goal is to sell all 48 bottles of water.
Instead you only sell 26, you profited $6 but you were not successful in reaching your predicted/desired level of profit.
>>
>>15459071
the listed production budget does not include the marketing budget
>>
>>15459121
You buy two 24 packs of water for $10 each, you budgeted $20 to allow you to start this endeavor.
You sell the bottles of water for $1 each, your goal is to sell all 48 bottles of water.
Instead you only sell 26, you profited $6 but you also had your brother spend 10 dollars to make a sign advertising your water so people would know about it, therefore you still lost $4.
>>
>>15459121
Now how do you factor the marketing costs and paying back the production company that let you make the profit for that water in the first place that you have to pay back which is not publicly listed.

It's almost like that's not even an accurate analogy or something
>>
That you can't make a female robocop movie with wooden jew and expect success?
>>
>>15458949
>That a movie can be absolutely worthless

Foreign money that isn't Chinese or free basically doesn't matter to Hollywoodd
>>
>>15458962
>Have you even heard of at least three big budget movie that wasn't Transformers that made it's money purely internationally and got a sequel
-Pacific Rim
-Warcraft
>>
>>15459310
I admitted Pacific Rim already as one

Warcraft doesn't have a confirmed sequel at all. They said they were going to do a Warcraft cinematic universe before it came out. You heard anything about that movie at all since?
>>
>>15459327
RIP Starcraft movie.
>>
GITS only failed because turboautismo weaboos and Asian SJWs shitted it before its release.

As for the 2017 PR movie, they're going to release a sequel featuring Tommy no matter what.
>>
>>15459071
>>No, even a single cent over the budget is a profit.
That logic only works if the money went directly to the production team, completely cut out the advertisement dept, and if the studio wasn't the only entity in the equation who could make a "profit".
>>
>>15459347
GITS failed for being a shitty Robocop fanfic with Ghost in the Shell slapped on the front.
>>
>>15459327
I remember hearing awhile ago that it was still in the pipes because the Chinks ate it up.

I could be wrong though but it did do well over there, not saying it will get a sequel or not, but it's possible desu.
>>
>>15458929
After the cut for theaters and partners they'd need like 200 million to break even.
>>
>>15458872
>Alright Hollywood. Now what did we learn from this experience (trainwreck)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

No, 1000 times, 1000000 times no.

Where there is money to be made, nothing will stand in the way. I mean even the fucking Japanese make live action adapations of their animes, and most of it is SHIT (that's why nobody buys it to show it outside Japan. For pete's sake, Korean dramas are more successful than Japanese live action anime adaptations. That should tell you something). Much much shittier than whatever shit Hollywood manages to do.

In any case, between shit Japanese live action adaptation, and shit Hollywood live action adaptation of anime works the choice is automatic. Hollywood because for all their errors they have a shitload of money to blow on a film. Japanese don't. And you want mucho dinero for CG effects and the like.
>>
>>15459347
>GITS only failed because turboautismo weaboos and Asian SJWs shitted it before its release.

I won't count that out as a contributing factor, but there is still the case where Hollywood missed the mark completely when it came to GitS.

GitS is a combination of both stunning visuals and a complex plot with a thoughtful message. The live action movie had the visuals down solid, but the plot isn't there and the message is weak. Hollywood saw it as an action movie and gave it an action movie plot, with assorted scenes ripped from the anime to catch people's attention.

Word of mouth is a thing. When people who watched the movie saw the glaring problems, they passed it on to others so that they wouldn't go watch.
>>
Power Rangers didn't need to have a 100 mil budget, it should've been half of that and gotten someone like Koichi Sakamoto who's use to directing Power Rangers/Sentai. The movie would've perform the same in the box office anyways but actually made a profit back. Instead they tried to pull a Transformers and failed to gain that audience to theaters. Only people who went to the theater were people who grew up watching Power Rangers.
>>
>>15459478
>failed to gain that audience to theaters.
But it didn't
>>
>>15459478
It's because Saban and Lionsgate are greedy short-sighted fucks who desperately want to emulate the Marvel Cinematicverse. Every studio now wants to create a franchise so that they can get sustained hundreds of millions in each installment.
>>
>>15459478
It's because Saban and Lionsgate are greedy short-sighted fucks who desperately want to emulate the Marvel Cinematicverse. Every studio now wants to create a franchise so that they can get sustained hundreds of millions in each installment
>>
>>15459478
It's because Saban and Lionsgate are greedy short-sighted fucks who desperately want to emulate the Marvel Cinematicverse. Every studio now wants to create a franchise so that they can get sustained hundreds of millions in each installment
>>
>>15459478
>>
>>15459418
I could be wrong, but I heard it didn't do as well in China due to nationalism. I guess if you want to sell a movie to the Chinese you don't have the Chinese mech job to the first monster it fights while the American mech with Japanese copilot saves the day.
>>
>>15459485
>>15459487
>>15459494
>>15459498
Quad-damage!
>>
>>15459347
The marketing also sucked though
>>
>>15459071
>No, even a single cent over the budget is a profit

And how do you believe that movie theaters make money?
>>
>>15459483
They failed to get the kind of audience that would justify those 5 sequels they want.

I mean, maybe one sequel, and even that I strongly doubt. It'll probably perform like BayTurtles' sequel in that case
>>
>>15459071
>No, even a single cent over the budget is a profit
I wonder if you truly understand how movies are made and who all the money needs to go to when one comes out.

I'll give you a hint, the studio is the last one of them
>>
>>15459478
What I really don't get is what they even spent $100 million on. Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Banks can't command THAT much money, and the isn't a lot of action or CG in the movie. Most of it takes place in normal, real-world locations that could easily be real buildings or existing sets. Unknown actors talking in real locations is like the cheapest thing that you can possibly film, and that's what most of the screen time in Power Rangers actually is.

Compare it to Riddick. For $40 million they got bigger names than Power Rangers had in it, and every shot of the movie has sets, CG, and props that had to be fabricated for it. The dog-creature was an entirely CG character with a significant amount of screentime, and there's tons of CG monsters on screen for a large chunk of the movie. I'm pretty sure it has more speaking roles than Power Rangers does, too, so it's not like quantity of actors was the difference. How the fuck did Power Rangers cost more than twice as much as that movie did? I don't get what they spent it all on.
>>
>>15458872
>completely ignore the international sales

it means the domestic market doesn't matter for shit, that's what hollywood's learning
>>
>>15460625
And that the Chinks don't have taste.
>>
>>15459441
Right. That's why I say they could break even with China and Japan (and South Korea, now that I look at it), even if it's unlikely. $70 million in Asia is not undoable. It's hard, but it's possible.

To do some napkin math: right now Power Rangers in the US is it about 80% of what Pacific Rim made here. If it does 80% as well in China, Japan, and South Korea as Pacific Rim did then it'll add $89 million in China, $11 million in Japan, and $14 million in South Korea. That more than covers the $70 million deficit to profitability. It's extremely optimistic to expect Power Rangers to make that much in China--especially since it would require it to outdo is US box office like Pacific Rim did--but it wouldn't be too far outside of probability to expect it to make around $15-20 million in Japan/South Korea combined. That only leaves $50-60 million to make in China, which is doable. It's certainly not a sure thing, and it's certainly not a great success if it hits that number, but it's not unreasonable to expect Power Rangers to limp to $200 million worldwide and get a sequel greenlit on toy sales like Pacific Rim did.

That said, sometimes China surprises. Terminator Genisys made $113 million there. Sometimes all it takes in China is having a robot in the movie. It could fail horribly in any of those three territories, but it could also do unexpectedly well. It beat most peoples' expectations in the US, even if it fell short of what the studio probably wanted, so I'm not willing to count it out just yet. I'm not willing to count on "China will save us!" either, mind you. I'm just not willing to bet one way or the other at this juncture.
>>
>>15460625
>completely ignore the international sales
But I didn't?
>>15458962

Also what >>15459153 said
>>
>>15458991
>>15459071
Do you not understand theater and international distributor profits? You know, the places where you see movies and the people that bring them abroad? In China alone it's said that the gangsters controlling the theaters take upwards of 40%+ of box office. And in the US, the theaters keep anywhere from 20-25% of each ticket, and a higher percentage after the a few weeks of release.

But of course you won't reply to this, because it would force you to admit how dumb you are.
>>
>>15460864
I'm sure they also don't understand the difference between 'gross' and 'net'.
>>
>>15459347
That's the studio's fault. For years with anime adaptations, they've had this obnoxious attitude of
>this movie's not for the fans, stop being entitled

Then it comes out and they wonder why the people who would have seen it almost guaranteed if they did a fucking proper adaptation didn't come. Dumb fucking Hollywood jews deserve every failure they get.
>>
That Hollywood should keep their hands off foreign properties they have no fucking clue what to do with.

I'm not one of those my precious Nipponic purity autists, but let's face it, Hollywood has ZERO comprehension of Japanese properties. Say what you want about the Japs but at least those stories are shaped by their tastes and perspectives. Hollywood can't even get their shit together with DC comic movies so what makes anyone here think they can do another country's comics?
>>
>>15459347
>As for the 2017 PR movie, they're going to release a sequel featuring Tommy no matter what.
LOL, I doubt that very much. Saban loves money, but he barely made a profit from this.

>inb4 BUT CHINA AND JAPAN!!!
Yeah, it's possible they might get another 50 mill. Maybe 100 if they're REALLY lucky, but I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Lionsgate and Haim wanted the kind of box office cash that the Avengers brought. Keep fucking dreaming.
>>
>>15460643
>And that the Chinks don't have taste.

They don't have taste but the have the $$$$$
Guess what's more important ?
>>
>>15462860
It's funny as fuck that Hollywood is caught between a rock and a hard place now. They LOVE to play up the diversity card to earn cred amongst SJWs, but they also know that chinks don't like blacks and other non-whites. So they try to hedge both sides, but this can only go on for so long.
>>
>>15460611
Krispy Kreme
>>
>>15462822
Gimme a break. The Japs themselves can't do live-action theater release for shit.

>>15462868
It's the elephant in the room that nobody in the film industry wants to talk about. It's why Hollywood is bending over backwards so much to appease the ChiComs with tokenisms and avoiding any negative reference to the PRC.
>>
Well, it's official now for at least one of them

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/
>>
>>15463249
Whitewash or not that movie was going to bomb either way. Even more so with some no name Japanese woman for the role. lol at the Rinko suggestions. Her english is terrible and she's hated in Japan, so she has no draw there too.
>>
>>15463065
>Gimme a break. The Japs themselves can't do live-action theater release for shit.
That's because they do their movies like they do stage shows
>>
I just wish Hollywood would stop being so calculating with their market impact data. I've seen so many "Evil megacorps are evil, right guys?" films that I just don't give a shit anymore. I've seen so many films that climax with a cathartic self-reliance, or perhaps with family bonding or trust of your close friends, that it's boring. Every film ends with a preachy justification of what the producers think my personal morals are, and even if they're often right I'm sick of it. It's obvious what I'm supposed to be feeling at each moment of the film, and it breaks all immersion.

I want to see something interesting and have some fun, not be patted on the head and told not to worry, that it's all okay, and that even in the far recesses of the future the good guys will share my irritation with Bank of America and Walmart.
>>
>>15459347
>GITS only failed because turboautismo weaboos and Asian SJWs
I bet you think /pol/ and reddit are the reason why Trump got elected, too.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.