[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

File: 1469292964422.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469292964422.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
How does the Federation pay for and supply all the mobile suits it builds? I understand that they outsource a lot of their manufacturing to Anaheim, but how does it manage to pay for all of it?
>An average M1 Abrams costs 8.58 million dollars to make
>GMs probably cost more, and add on to that maintenance which is probably a hell of a lot worse because there are joints to be oiled, wiring and machinery to be continually fixed and replaced, and beam rifle ammo packs to be constantly made to resupply beam weapons
>GMs and Jegans are shown to be mass produced at a scale that far surpasses tanks, with A Baou Qu having a shitton of GMs
Does the Federation simply heavily tax or subsidize the MS industry? Who does it tax? The spacenoids are already poor for paying for the goods they need to survive in space, and the people on earth can't bear that burden on their own can they?
>>
I think Anaheim only does R&D, they do not mass-produce the MS they make. About how the Federation pays for them, I think either 80 or 90% of all its income comes from the colonies - that's why they grip them so tightly.
>>
>>15457292
They mine asteroids. They have more than enough resources
>>
>>15457292
My personal headcanon is that automation and space mining have lowered production costs a shitton in UC which is also why Neo-Neo-Neo-Zeon can pop up whenever they want with new variants all the time, other than the obvious explanation of "a writer did it", and also how Zeon can amass an armada while their citizens starve.

For example the joining of the main body and the turrent for the M1 Abrams it's still a really delicate part that takes an entire crew and time to get right, I guess technology is so advanced by UC that it's a non-issue.
>>
>>15457292
A LOGOS like organization, perhaps
>>
>>15457292
Both Feeds and Zeeks have several asteroids that they got from somewhere, Saturn maybe? I dunno and they mine them for resources
>>
>>15457292
The US churns out so many Abrams tanks it literally has nothing to do with them, and that's just one country. The Federation is working off of the industrial base of the entire planet.
>>
>>15457388
The asteroid belt is located between Mars and Jupiter.
>>
File: 1491800349053.jpg (332KB, 3108x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1491800349053.jpg
332KB, 3108x2200px
>>15457392
How'd they get the facilities to poop GMs out so fast though? The US has had years to establish a military industrial complex that supports the production of tanks, the Federation only had a year, less than that really, before it seems like they had every fleet in space and every unit on earth had access to GMs and MS
>>
>>15457396
Man, that must be a big ass asteroid filed, since thats where they probably got Axis, A Baoa Qu, Solomon and the Lunas
>>
>>15457405
The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter contains ~1.9 million asteroids with a diameter greater than 1 km as of the current count, with many in excess of 100 km. This belt also contains the dwarf planet Ceres, with a diameter of 945 km. There are also large asteroids locked into "Trojan" points around Earth, Mars, Neptune, and Jupiter.
Seems likely that Zeon could pull a few rocks from it.

>>15457400
The UC timeline has industrial capacity that eclipses anything the modern world could ever produce. Humanity in the UC timeline managed to throw a bunch of giant habitable tubes together in space, and can launch full-fledged space battleships into orbit without even using Minovsky particle magic. I feel like mass-producing some big metal guys is within their grasp.
>>
>>15457292

>Production of a single country vs that of a combined global organization that has the means and actively can mine in space
>>
>>15457405

The asteroid belt has asteroids all the way up to the size of Ceres, which is 1000km across, with 3% earth's gravity.

There are at least 140 main belt asteroids out there with a diameter of more than 120km. At least one of them has it's own little asteroid as a moon.
>>
>>15457479
This.
>>
File: Asteroid belt.png (346KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Asteroid belt.png
346KB, 600x600px
>>15457405
This image of asteroids in the inner solar system was taken from Wikipedia.
>>
File: gm arm frames.jpg (2MB, 4656x1970px) Image search: [Google]
gm arm frames.jpg
2MB, 4656x1970px
>>15457292
You do realize they are a government spanning the world and colonies. You ever get a peek into the US defense budget? Multiply that by a couple hundred and you have maybe a fraction of what the Federation has to spend on GMs.

Their defense budget is literally

As for materials, Mining asteroids actually supply a vast amount of ore, and both sides they have just barely delved into said supply.

They've got materials in spades.

>>15457400
That's the beauty of the Federation's mobile suit frame; it's exceedingly simple to mass produce parts for. Each part of a GM (torso, arm, forearm, thigh, calves, foot, etc.) is essentially a system of interconnected load-bearing "blocks" that houses the moving parts and internal systems necessary to run that part and the interconnected limbs, meaning the Federation isn't building the whole mobile suit as one, but merely building each block separately and connecting them after the fact, which also explains how they made so many variants so quickly easily; instead of having to modify a whole frame, they just changed up the individual "blocks" on each variant that were necessary to achieve said variant's intended performance and role. The facilites needed to achieve this method of construction are far less complex in nature compared to Zeon's assembly lines.

Later in the Timeline, when they get their military industrial complex geared towards mobile suit development and production, they adopt a system far closer to Zeon's construction method; full internal frame with the armor built around it, only focusing more on movement and mobility than armor and protection, resulting in some segmented armor (seen on GM Quel's arm built on the movable frame arm on the right compared to GM Custom's arm built using the old Federation method on the left.)

This is also why you see far fewer variants after the Mark-II sealed the deal on the movable frame being the new go-to mobile suit construction method.
>>
>>15457400
becuese in Wartime you tend to take something that would normally take 10 year's to go from Prototype stage, to full on mass production and you make that go faster, much faster.

Look at tanks the IS tank was initially designed in 1943, it was being mass produced in 1943, where as look at say the M4 sherman. it was designed in 1940(when the US wasn't in the war, officially). and was later put into production in Feburary 1942... and what happened at the end of 1941? oh yeah the US entered the War.

the M1 Abrams is the complete opposite, it took 10 years to design, a lot of that had to do with new Tech. but it's the best way of showing how not being hurried by a current major conflict, kinda let's things develop much slower.

GM's, mobile suits were put into mass production so quickly because of this necessity. but that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's downsides mind you. a lot of times developing shit in a short time frame means you have to solve the issues that will come up during operational use. for instance the first Sherman had a very underwhelming gun. it was later given a new turret, and a 76MM gun. testing it, and doing more Development might have made it so that it had it's new turret, and 76MM gun from the start, but it was rushed, like most new Technology to the front as soon as it was operationally sound to use. things like the first jet's also meet this idea.
>>
File: GM Sniper II.jpg (776KB, 1901x1672px) Image search: [Google]
GM Sniper II.jpg
776KB, 1901x1672px
>>15457556
>their defense budget is literally almost limitless.
>>
>>15457537
Jeez, that's a lot of asteroids. I kinda wonder how we manage to get any satellites out past Mars when there's so much stuff for them to crash into.
>>
>>15457569
Were you not taught about the asteroid belt in school?

Also, space is really big and those asteroids are really small in comparison to the chart. Also, correct me if I'm wrong anyone from /sci/, but the asteroids tend to orbit in a similar fashion like the planets and it doesn't create a 360 degree sphere of rock that separates the inner and outer solar system.
>>
>>15457569
the average space between each object in the belt is ~3 million kilometers. You'd have to aim specifically for them.

>>15457557
>10 years to design
Not counting the MBT-70 and the string of failed/non-starter heavy tank/MBT concepts the Army milled through to reach the start of that project in the first place. Peacetime weapons development is slow as shit; that's probably why the federation was still using Jegan variants in F91.
>>
>>15457602
exactly. how long was the F22 in Development? peace time weapon design is always slow as shit, and not the most profitable, why do you think the term military industrial complex exists?

because War's are profitable. extreamly. peace is not.
>>
>>15457607
>Peace is not
Not is you're the US of A, baby. All you need to do is convince everyone that they're in mortal danger from outside influences all the time, and then you can get gravy R&D contracts for frivolous bullshit. Best part is that they don't even have to reach an end product in any kind of timely fashion; just load your original concept up with unrealistic gimmicks and then over time whittle things down to mediocre levels while the Military throws more cash into an overbudget time sink.
>>
>>15457621
yeah well we the US of fucking A, are pretty retarded when you think about it.

or ingenious if you make a living making useless hit, looking at you F35 lightning...
>>
Mining asteroids, sufficient amounts of automation, also the frequency of any new conflict which requires them to able to shit out MS quick.

Having a versatile frame to put shit on is also a pretty good reason, you just swap out the armor and weapons and bam, new variant.

If UC's manufacturing amazes you, you'll be shocked by Macross' manufacturing capabilities.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (30KB, 330x446px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
30KB, 330x446px
>>15457292
>inb4 no one posting stupid questions ITT

I have some related to Yukikaze.

1. What are the differences between the original edition and the revised edition of the first novel?

2. Do we even have any summary of what happens in Unbroken Arrow? Does it concludes the story?

3. Why almost everyone in the OVA has a " sad resting face", barring General Cooly who has no eyebrows at all?
>>
>>15457676
Sentou Yousei Yukikaze was rewritten (rereleased as Sentou Yousei Yukikaze <KAI>) to smooth things out between SYY and Good Luck Yukikaze, which makes sense when you realize GLY rolled out in like a decade's time span after SYY, and by Chohei Kambayashi's own admission the things he was interested in writing about evolved over time. Ultimately it's a nonissue for us English speakers since our version of Yukikaze is derived from the revision.

No idea, sorry but UA has been in the dark over on this side of the world since forever.

Yumi Tada. That is all.

Sorry, I don't think I gave you the answers you were looking for. Other than Yumi Tada. You learn to warm up to Tadaface with the OVA.
>>
File: 1490763380184.png (87KB, 266x281px) Image search: [Google]
1490763380184.png
87KB, 266x281px
>>15457630
>F-35
>useless shit
don't make me rehash the planefag thread again
>>
>>15457676
>yukikaze

space battleship yamato reference?
>>
>>15457714
He's right though.
>>
>>15457707
I think you have cleared my doubts to a lot extent. Thanks for replying.
>>
>>15457714
I mean as long as it maintains lift and can drop a bomb it's not useless.
It's not like the USAF fights anyone who can fire back, anyway.

>>15457676
Because it's SAD
>>
File: 1455045159184.png (571KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
1455045159184.png
571KB, 800x640px
>>15457714
We've gone over this a thousand times; It's not that it's useless, it's that the US never fights anyone that it'd ever be necessary for. It's the same situation as the F-22; an obnoxious, trouble-prone moneypit that will likely see sorties in the single digits.

The money spent on the F-35 could have gone to a million better, more practical things
>>
>>15457594
Yes, most asteroids sit in the ecliptic and orbit the same way planets do. There's some retrograde ones, but that's literally in the tens at most.
>>
>>15457676
Other anon here.

Is it true that it had influence on NGE? If yes, how?
>>
>>15457292
They're the government of nearly the entire planet. I'm pretty sure they can have fairly low taxes and still bring in enough money to raise an army.
>>
File: m118_01.jpg (96KB, 622x650px) Image search: [Google]
m118_01.jpg
96KB, 622x650px
Another stupid quesion, is the GM supposed to be white or light blue? The kit's make it so that it's supposed to be light blue, but the media shows it as either white or sort of light blue.
>>
File: ArUOpH8.jpg (260KB, 850x1076px) Image search: [Google]
ArUOpH8.jpg
260KB, 850x1076px
>>15457400
Recapturing California Base was the biggest help to their production. IIRC it's really 20 or so individual installations used to produce various pieces of tech.

If that's the case then each one going into full production mode more than certainly helped build a fighting force strong enough to launch their space offensive.
>>
>>15459333
The portrayal is all over the place, but it's supposed to be a more subtle bluish-white.
>>
How the fuck did Big Boss possibly convince Zero that coming back home to lead Foxhound was legit after all the shit that happened?
>>
>>15457292
>>An average M1 Abrams costs 8.58 million dollars to make
>>GMs probably cost more

You're just making stuff up from the start so I dunno just make up an explanation that makes you happy. This civilization also made an assload of space colonies.
>>
>>15457292
Since its stupid questions thread and /m/ is based I want to ask what are some good mecha shows with actual character develpment?
>>
>>15459499
The epilogue part of SDF Macross.
>>
>>15459499

Well, define character development. If the character start like a blank slate with only a bit of personality and ends up learning things you learn at the age of 10...well, that's more lego blocks than character development. A good example of character development is Fafner. Everyone has a personality and in time they blend with each other like human beings...provided they survive long enough.
>>
File: f0128873_12575833.jpg (101KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
f0128873_12575833.jpg
101KB, 800x531px
Can anyone knowledgeable in moon please track down a proper scan of the right page for me? The one particular grunt mecha featured on it is nowhere to be seen on the Gear's Online web page and it would be really nice to see it in better detail.
>>
>>15457556
Huh...you know, I had no idea how the movable frame actually worked or why it was such a big deal but that pic illustrates it pretty well...
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.