[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Devs say Gargantia was a huge influence on Titanfall 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

File: 1490656967412.png (142KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1490656967412.png
142KB, 800x800px
>Steve, Manny, and the rest of the SP designers worked on ways to adjust BT's tone, and while we were doing this, Steve recommended the team check out Gargantia, a fish-out-of-water story about a sci-fi space robot and its pilot who get stuck on a new planet together. While the world of Gargantia is very different from the world of Titanfall, the way that Chamber (the big robot) and Ledo (the pilot) interact, learn from one another, and depend on one another resonated with us. The symbiotic nature of their relationship - they both need the other, inextricably - was very similar in spirit to the relationship we wanted to develop between BT and Jack during the course of Titanfall 2.

>One of my favorite episodes is #6- "Festival"- where the locals leverage their new space robot friend to help with a little fishing.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/04/19/respawn-finally-talks-about-the-obvious-mecha-anime-influences-in-titanfall-2/#39850a252596
So the stupid meme is finally dead
>>
That makes me want to buy a copy
>>
But I thought there are no mechs in Titanfall? Did someone on the team forced them to watch mecha anime to better understand the genre?
>>
>>15452876

I heard TF2 is actually pretty good
>>
File: Titanfail.jpg (335KB, 985x963px) Image search: [Google]
Titanfail.jpg
335KB, 985x963px
>implying implications

>>15452898
This is the correct response.
>>
>>15452876
>Director: Steve Fukuda
Hmmm...
>>
>>15452898
Well if you actually read the OP post.... Fag
>>
>>15452898
Yah, there aren't, as >>15452924 proved.

But something obviously happened in the years between games, because Titanfall 2 has mecha.
>>
File: BTThumbsUp[1].gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
BTThumbsUp[1].gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>15452890
>>15452913
You should buy it, the gameplay is excellent and BT is your brobot.
>>
>>15452890
Definitely worth its current price. A very fun and charming story.
>>
>>15452926
>Fukuda
His grandparents' house and business was probably WASPified when they were interned during WW2.
>>
>>15452876
Bought tf2s' deluxe edition for 40$ worth every penny
>>
>>15452924
I still don't understand what kind of logic is used to decide that tiny men running along at tiny man speed are fast while giant robots running at 100+ kph are slow.
>>
>>15453062
It's based on the 'way' they move. It doesn't matter if the speedometer says they are moving at 1000 miles per second if the mech itself looks like it is power walking, you know?
>>
>>15452924
That interview boils down to

>Hey guys I'm a pretentious cocksucking wanker hipster faggot and mechs are for fat neckbeard virgin nerd losers. Also I don't actually know what a mech is.
>>
>>15453119
Kind of makes me think of the galaxy-sized battle in TTGL. TTGL could have generations upon generations of people living in it before a punch thrown would even get close to its opponent had time moved a bit more realistically. Kind of fun idea.
>>
>>15453129
Well it was probably a guy assigned to Respawn by EA, after all, Game magazines are just advertising especially that one. OPs link is a frank discussion with a dev during a part of the cycle where the games made most of its money. Blame EA for thinking Weeb = Bad for business. That's why they're Microsoft aligned
>>
>>15452876
So how is TF2 on pc anyway? I keep thinking of buying it and I wanted to know how alive the multiplayer aspect of it is on the pc
>>
>>15454952

there's less action than PS4, still alive though. and PC is where the real goesfast happens.

My only real gripe with TF2 is that the skill ceiling is so high that its not unheard of for a single ace to be ale to handle an entire team.
>>
>>15453129
>>15453062
>>15452930
>>15452924
I heard that the guy in that interview thought the term mech was trademarked, like transformers.
He was apparently making reference to mechwarrior and battletech.
This is why he refers to "slow granddaddy mechs".
>>
Sadly, BT isn't as good as Chamber.
>>
File: 124.jpg (42KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
124.jpg
42KB, 720x480px
>It's another Western pig only watches Mecha that have MEME names attached to them
>>
>>15455234
who worked on gargantia?
>>
>>15454968
Skill floor is also so high that new players will get absolutely destroyed playing against players who played at least 15 hours. The match making system does not take skills into account so you can get matched with literally anyone on the server.
>>
It's quite rare to see a western mech where the AI progressively breaking their programmed protocols for the sake of the pilot. Love the part where BT horribly tried to crack a joke.
So yeah BT reminded me of Chamber way before that article.
>>
>>15455219
So

>>15453129
>>Hey guys I'm a pretentious cocksucking wanker hipster faggot and mechs are for fat neckbeard virgin nerd losers.

>>Also I don't actually know what a mech is.
>>
>>15455459
I don't really think either BT or Chamber broke their protocols at all. In fact, their characters were defined by their striving to fulfil them: Chamber to provide support to his pilot, and BT to complete the mission and protect his pilot. I do think Chamber went off the reservation a bit, since he was obviously never intended to be able to prod his pilot into declaring himself unfit for duty as a roundabout way of ejecting him and saving his life, but he ultimately went around the limits of his programming rather than breaking it and only did so to accomplish the purpose he was intended for (compare to Stryker, who went much further astray).
>>
>>15455434
Nigger I have played 3 FPS in my entire life
Doom back in the 90s
BioShock 1
And Titanfall 2. In other words, I suck dick at FPS, can't aim for shit. HOWEVER I never get my ass handed to me like that. Just don't play it like it's CoD or battlefield like a retard. Stay off the ground as much as possible, do the slide hop, use your grappling hook or phase ability. It's not rocket science, it's just not normal FPS play. Git gud at aiming from the hip while wall running.
>>
>>15455472
There's something odd about an AI that is robotic enough to be unable to break programming but sentient enough to loophole the shit out of it
If that can happen there isn't much point in giving it limitations to begin with, unless they want to turn their robots into lawyers or something
>>
>>15455488
Oh and GO FAST. Never stand still for any reason, sniper rifles are a noob trap. If youre in a mech, then you use cover and shit like that.
>>
>>15455489
I think BT is an experimental prototype. Can't recall, but he seems unique among Titans
>>
>>15455489
Not really, it's effectively the more beneficent opposite of the zeroeth law rebellion.

Chamber is fascinating to me as a fully realised AI character because he really comes across as a computer program rather than a person with a voice filter. His conclusions are sympathetic, yet they are always reached using pure logic.
>>
>>15455469
Pretty much yeah

Though that page comes from the first game's art director, not the second game, which is way more /m/
>>
>>15455500
The Vanguard-type Titans are a new model actually designed and constructed by the Militia instead of being jury-rigged from whatever they had around. They're basically Victory Gundams.
>>
>>15455571
That a fucker as cancerously ignorant as that worked on the series at all is enough to put me off it entirely.
>>
>>15455488
>doom
well that probably helps. Did you play during the free weekend couple of weeks ago? If you do then you probably know what I mean when I said new people get their ass handed to them.

I bought the game after that free weekend. I have like 20 hours in multiplayer and I can get top 3 pretty consistently now, but the first few hours was absolutely horrid, I went in without playing the singleplayer campaign so maybe there's that.
>>
>>15455489

Chamber never seeks to break his programming, only fulfill it.

Chamber does one thing: help Ledo acheive his stated goals.

Chamber asks Ledo what he wants. Ledo replies, emotionally, that Striker needs to be destroyed but he wishes he could go back to Gargantia.

Chamber crunches some numbers and formulates a plan that acheives both of those as efficiently as possible.

What makes Chamber a bro isnt that he sacrificed himself for Ledo. The moment Ledo said what he did, the outcome was inevitable.

What mades Chamber a bro was that his last communication to Ledo was one of hope and encouragement.

"I expect great things from you."
>>
>>15455691
wait fuck ignore the part about doom, I was thinking about quake. oopsies.
>>
>>15455234
>MEME names attached to them
I'm sorry, what?
>>
>>15455472
>Stryker, who went much further astray
Wasn't Stryker just following a predetermined plan created by her pilot?
>>
Seeing people still being assblasted at the interview even though it's a tired old meme always gives me a good chuckle.
>>
>>15455795
Striker's logic was informed by her pilot (though in a bit of a circular thought her pilot was informed by her input), but it was her logic.

The fascinating thing about them is that both are working under the same parameters, but percieving them differently due to the influence of their operators, and each decides that the other has gone rogue.

My own interpratation is that they both have. The argument for Striker is made by Chamber, and while she does make the point that a support unit should lack the authority to do what he did, that plus his final words make me think he was as rampant as Strider in his own subtle way. Why else deliver a pithy one-liner for the apparent benefit of no-one but himself?
>>
>>15452876
Well, you know, Cable was the best thing about Gargantia
>>
>>15455709
no what made chamber a bro was the "go fuck yourself tincan" part
>>
>>15455309

Urobutcher.

Which is the only reason it got any attention in the first place.
>>
>>15455800
Titanfall 1 is not /m/.
Titanfall 2 is /m/.
Get out.
>>
>>15455936
No really, it's about as funny as seeing someone still being unironically seething over that one Getter-2 Lucky Star picture.
>>
File: 1466623382877.jpg (79KB, 474x471px) Image search: [Google]
1466623382877.jpg
79KB, 474x471px
>>15455879

Chamber likely said the "go to hell, tin can" line because he concluded, based on his data about how his current faction (Gargantia) interacts, that one should reject a disagreeable order with such a phrase, using one he knows from experience.

It's like, a logical conclusion based on established data, while also applying his parameters to his pilot's current allegiance, that of Gargantia. Chamber shifts his "personality" to one closer to that of Ledo's/the Gargantia crew's to better interact with and support Ledo as per his primary directive, and the one-liner was a result of that. It's acting within his programming, it just feels like rampancy because Gargantia's behavior is, according to Alliance standards, rampant itself.

I hope that makes sense. I had the thought, but I'm having a hard time putting it into words.
>>
>>15452876

>episode six
>the one with the blatant fanservice belly dancing segment that took up a good chunk of the show's budget and episode's runtime

Of course that would be their favorite episode.
>>
>>15455974

I get you, anon.
>>
File: 1482343910129.jpg (362KB, 821x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482343910129.jpg
362KB, 821x1200px
Just played through the campaign and man, what a ride. Seemed like a constant string of great moments.

>assembly line of parkour/death
>press F to time travel
>SPEED IS LIFE
>protect the pilot
>>
>>15456453
>Survive. Evade. Resist. Escape.
>>
File: Girls_dancers.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Girls_dancers.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>15452876
>One of my favorite episodes is #6- "Festival"- where the locals leverage their new space robot friend to help with a little fishing.
That guy is a /m/an, fucker probably watched with us in the threads
>>
>>15455219
Doesn't change the fact that he knows jack all about mecha. Clearly never played BT himself, or else he'd know that BT mechs run, jump, wield swords and have had "lightning gun" PPCs long before Titanfall ever thought up the Arc Cannon.

Not to mention that the majority of mechs are Japanese fiction and make the Titans themselves look like wadddling trash cans in conparison.

In all honestly he's just a blowhard hipster whose entire experience with this thing is MechWarrior and Power Rangers. And like a typical hipster, he thought he could 'improve' something without even knowing what it was he was improving.
>>
>>15456647
Couldn't have said it better myself. Their shitty pandering in OP's interview is too little too late and very obviously catered to the response to that dumbfucks "hurrr mechs are shit for losers". Fuck this shit franchise, I hope the cunts die of cancer.
>>
>>15456755
Please stop shitposting. TF2 is a fun /m/ game and I'm sorry that you're too autistic/stubborn to see.
>>
>>15454968
Different anon but does TF2 allow for coop or is it just multiplayer? I'm looking for a /m/ game that allows for coop to play it with my brother
>>
>>15456768
>TF2 is a fun /m/ game
No.
>>
>>15456787
Refute my statement, faggot. Otherwise piss off back to /v/ where you can post memes all you like.
>>
>>15456755
>>15456787
>mistake of one retard from years ago
>it's 2015+2 and a whole new game is already out with /m/ elements out of the ass
>FUCK THIS WHOLE FRANCHISE FUCKING HIPSTER CUNT FAGGOT GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY /M/ REEEE
You could have easily expressed your otherwise justified disgust without being a loud faggot but here we are
>>15456775
At the moment the multiplayer is PVP only. A coop mode is supposed to come out in a future update with a coop only titan frame.
>>
>>15455229
only cause the campaign isn't as long and the guy you play as (forgettable as fuck cause I don't remember his name) is pretty boring so BT doesn't have much to work with
>>
@15452924
So everytime there's a slightest mention of Titanfall on /m/, these people would show up with the "le epic screenshot proofs with clever filename" and be like "excuse me good sir the subject you are trying to discuss appears to be not /m/ have a good day my friend *tips fedora*" like pretentious redditors, trying to act all civil and objective. They don't talk about the game, they don't talk about the settings, they don't even talk about the robots, they don't seem to know anything about the title other than that one stale meme picture yet they are the loudest among all, derailing threads all the time on their high horse. They can't be shills because if I were hiring people to make Titanfall look bad on a mongolian crispy chicken sandwich image board, I woudln't pay these fucks a cent for such low effort and unconvincing shitposting. What even causes such behavior? Nothing comes to mind besides being an underage twat or mental illness.
>>
>>15456944
Yeah, It's become fuckign infuriating how it drowns out any actual TF2 discussion here. I'm all for calling TF not /m/, but it's been fucking years, and TF2 has goddamn /m/ references out the ass.

The story even plays out like a VOTOMs side story.
>>
>>15456821
>it is current year meme

Upvote for you my epic tumblreddit friend
>>
>>15457416
VOTOMS is a bit too loner for the buddy romp nature of Tit2.
>>
>>15455489
Read Isaac Asimov. Specifically the three collections of Robot short stories & The Caves of Steel. There's the 3 Laws of Robotics but also a stealth "0th" law and a hidden 4th Law.
>>
>>15455691
Well I get my ass kicked when I try to play CoD with my little brother all the time so I didn't really notice the difference I guess. It's a real problem tho, so many people are used to all FPS playing the same now that Titanfall turns them off or they legitimately don't think to change up what they're doing in a match. It's a shame too because the higher skill ceiling gives the game so much more depth.
>>
>>15456755
>>15456647
I remember being this young, angry, and tryhard. I really wish I didn't though. Y'all need to go back to the board you came from
>>
File: 1492686847988.jpg (98KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492686847988.jpg
98KB, 640x480px
>>15457819
>>
File: 1492603590985.jpg (43KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1492603590985.jpg
43KB, 680x510px
>>15456821
Agreed. Fuck these annoying little /v/shitters. They only watch games on twitch anyway they don't play shit
>>
>>15457580
That's not the current year meme. Saying
>2011(+6)
>still paying for dlc
Has been a 4chan things for years, newshit newfag. Now YOU go back to Ribbit
>>
>>15457601
>implying this isn't Mellowlink: the game
You're reaching hard buddy. Chirico was in a Unit once you know, it's not like he'd just leave his comrades for dead constantly
>>
File: chamber.jpg (60KB, 331x532px) Image search: [Google]
chamber.jpg
60KB, 331x532px
>>15452876
That's odd.
>>
>>15457416
>TF2 has goddamn /m/ references out the ass.
Like what?
>>
File: zhvi1.jpg (371KB, 888x1080px) Image search: [Google]
zhvi1.jpg
371KB, 888x1080px
>>15462262
>>
>>15462262
Scorch's melee skill is Shining Finger

Ion's finisher is Breast Fire

There's a Mazinger-themed unlockable call card "Titanfall Z"

BT is heavily inspired by Chamber

Viper pilots a custom Northstar frame that flies around outmaneuvering the player side's fleet, annihilating all the friendlies as they yell "h-he's too fast!"

Probably a few more I missed too.
>>
>>15462275
Different TF2
>>
>>15452876
>So the stupid meme is finally dead
No, anon. They are just telling you what you want to hear, because they realized that pissing off people who like mecha is not a wise move when you are trying to peddle a mecha game.
>>
>>15462324
I know, but I coudn't help myself.
>>
>>15462325
The question that is begged is, how do people who hate mecha wind up making a mecha game?
>>
>>15452898
There were no mechs in Titanfall, but they developed mechs in the backstory between Titanfall and Titanfall 2.
>>
>>15462421
Because the PR retards didn't make the game.
Nice game, both of them, but they should really fire some morons if they haven't already. First game we get the "Mecha is bad word" shitshow, then for the second game they released it right next to cod and battlefield, neither fuck ups were about the game itself, just fuck my game up.
>>
>>15462295
You forgot that the "Mid-season upgrade" trope is present. BT gets a new body during the story
>>
>>15462295
>>15464846
Oh and Ronin uses Boson Jumps
Legion looks very much like a Battle tech/Mechwarrior
>>
>>15464846
>"Mid-season upgrade" trope
Neck.
>>
>>15462295
>Scorch's melee skill is Shining Finger
Now that's a stretch.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.