[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: kouji_nagare.png (272KB, 842x438px) Image search: [Google]
kouji_nagare.png
272KB, 842x438px
Really liked Imagawa's other works such as the Giant Robo OVAs and G Gundam so I was wondering if I should give this series a shot as well
>>
It's ok, watch tetsujin 28-gou first though, it's a hundred times better..
>>
>>15452837
Just got done watching it and I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth a watch if you love super robo stuff.
>>
>>15452837
Yup.
>>
It's very Imagawa. I'd say that's a good thing, and since you liked those you'll probably enjoy it.
>>
>>15452841
I find shin better
>>
Starts slow but gets really good
>>
>>15452837
It's really shitty because the characters and the plot try desperately to be more complicated than they have any right to be.
>>
>>15452987
>he thinks shin mazinger has a complicated plot
esl
>>
>>15452988
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>15452987
>Dr. Hell starts a war
>Baron Ashura wins it

That's basically it.
>>
>>15452996
>constantly changing background stories like Kouji's mom
>Kouji's mom
Also it really seemed to drag on.
>>
>>15452837
It's a lot of fun, I enjoyed the ride quite a bit even though I would argue the writing and pacing is a little sloppy. It's very Imagawa, and my biggest gripe with the show is the first episode shows WAY too much from each ending. The first episode is pretty much a clip show of all the best moments which is a really stupid decision. Imagawa likes in media res but he kinda went too far here, he weakened the impact of a lot of cool shit that happens later by showing it off immediately.

>>15452988
Not him but Shin Mazinger does overcomplicate it's plot. Not to say it is complicated because it's pretty straight forward but Imagawa has a tendency to be a very sloppy story teller and often tries to have too much going on at once, which Shin is probably the most guilty example of it. The show can also be a strange experience for Mazinger fans because all the original characters get an extreme amount of spotlight, like Tsubasa has almost as much screen presence and story significance as Kabuto Kouji while the Kurogane 5 are more relevant than Boss or Sayaka. This is why some detractors of the show call it a fanfiction because in this regard it genuinely can feel like a Mazinger fanfiction.

The plot is pretty straight froward it's just not told in a particularly perfect way. Still if OP loves Imagawa he will love this show. My personal recommendation would be to skip episode 1 though, will make the experience better in my opinion.
>>
>>15453096
I don't know, it's a little ridiculous but I feel like episode 1 is part of the experience. Wasn't it literally made as just a bunch of cool random shit, and then the show was written around it?

It's almost worth it just to say you've seen a show that begins with a clipshow too.
>>
>>15452837
I don't think I'd call it Imagawa's "best" work, but it's certainly the most fun to watch. Highly recommended.
>>
>>15453107
I would say if you want that watch the episode last. For actual show purposes it hampers the cool reveals that happen later on since they weren't even teasers but in fact all the scenes wholesale. You shouldn't see the god power up immediately when starting the show, that should be something that comes late and shocks you. It's one of the only times u recommend skipping an episode but there's seriously no benefit to starting off by watching that episode.
>>
Say whatever you want, the music was godlike
Literally made me cum buckets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grK1I_6k_b8
>>
>>15453096
>Not to say it is complicated because it's pretty straight forward but Imagawa has a tendency to be a very sloppy story teller and often tries to have too much going on at once, which Shin is probably the most guilty example of it.
Examples? I had no issue with Imagawa's storytelling. If anything, his storytelling was a plus.

>My personal recommendation would be to skip episode 1
>>15453127
>For actual show purposes it hampers the cool reveals that happen later on since they weren't even teasers but in fact all the scenes wholesale. You shouldn't see the god power up immediately when starting the show, that should be something that comes late and shocks you. It's one of the only times u recommend skipping an episode but there's seriously no benefit to starting off by watching that episode.

I had no issue with the first episode. You got to understand that all the scenes you see in episode 1 was done even before Imagawa had a concrete plot.

The reason episode 1 worked for many during its airing, is that it showed that this Mazinger show was going to be more than just a simple MOTW like the original. The 1st episode didn't really spoil anything important to the plot. it only spoiled the gimmicks and the potential plot points (Because not every plot point was even used in the rest of the episodes, like the scene involving a temple, zeus, gorgon and a kedora)

If not for the first episode, I probably wouldn't have been hyped to watch the rest. It convinced me that the scale of the conflict was going to be much larger than the original, with many more parties playing a role, and not simply the photon institute and hell's army.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to watch it if you're already sold on the concept, and plan to blaze through regardless, but for many viewers of 2009, the first episode had to go all out and show the extent of the show's writing, and it worked, at least from the 2009 airing.
>>
>>15452837
No. It's awful. Unbelievably so. Do not listen to any of these people saying otherwise, they are trolling you.

Shin Mazinger is basically a six-episode OVA padded out to a 26 episode series. I am not exaggerating when I say that most of the footage in every single episode is recycled footage. They go over the same scenes over and over and over and over and over and over, with only a few minutes or even seconds of new footage in each episode, and that footage will be repeated in full many times in the following episodes. And what do you get for all of this repetition? A show where most of the things that "happened" didn't happen. Seriously. They'll repeat the same footage ten times of the villain revealing his evil plan and the hero gasping in horror, and then five episodes later they reveal that the hero was only pretending to be shocked because she really knew the evil plan the whole time. Then five episodes after that we find out that he knew that she knew and that was all part of the REAL evil plan and this goes on until it becomes clear that none of this actually matters because the whole show is literally jusrt characters pretending that things happen.

Also there's not very much mecha action and the characters you actually care about are side characters. It's terrible.
>>
>>15453327
>Examples? I had no issue with Imagawa's storytelling. If anything, his storytelling was a plus.
The fact that the entire story was built around the first episode which was a mishmash of random scenes that Imagawa strung together and attempted to make a story out of is the ultimate example. I think it ended up a good product but strange amounts of time are devoted to certain aspects, the dream kedora world just kinda happens and several big revelations apparently happen but they don't tell you then for several episodes which to me indicates Imagawa may not have had anything in mind yet, Kurogane 5 all fucking die at points but then come back because "lol expert biologist", things like Mazinger army are shoehorned in, Ankokuji is given some strange pseudo main role, it gets very messy with how much happens all at once. I applaud Imagawa for making it all as cohesive as he did in the end, but you can see that the story is rough around the edges with him forcing certain pieces to fit together.

I think you and I argued back and forth about the first episode in a recent thread when I had finished shin myself. While it may have worked for you and at the time when you saw some of the scenes almost a year later it works but to someone like me who watched it in a week the issue is very glaring. So many scenes could have been so strong and left bigger impacts but they lost some of that because every huge twist or hype moment from the end of the show got spoiled in the first episode. It doesn't ruin the moments but it lessens the impact severely. Also OP clearly loves Imagawa and is pretty set on watching it, similar to how I was set on watching it because I really like Mazinger, so he doesn't need to be sold on the show like you needed to. Also the 2nd episode and following first battle sell the show very well on its own so it's not like Shin is dependent on that first episode to pull someone in.
>>
>>15453348
Is this a copy pasta? I enjoy you couldn't be assed to even read an article and bullshit you knowing these plot to make this convincing, you just talked out of your ass for a paragraph. Quickly say other vague statements that no one who has any knowledge of the show will believe to cover up the fact this post is all nondescript bullshit.

You honestly would be better off saying "it's bad because I said so".
>>
>>15453348
>>15453356
It's a pasta. I've seen it before.
>>
>>15453351
>to someone like me who watched it in a week the issue is very glaring
I watched the show over the course of two days, and I thought the first episode was fucking brilliant. You say it spoiled the twists and tense/hype moments, but I have to strongly disagree. It showed that such moments would happen, sure, but getting a glimpse of the middle of a tense moment doesn't really tell us anything. The real "spoilers" would be knowing what happened to bring about the "spoiled" situation, or knowing how it would be resolved. The first episode showed neither, and as such I felt that it actually heightened the impact when we got to properly see the scenes in question, rather than spoiling them.

>it gets very messy with how much happens all at once
I consider that a point in the show's favor, really. I liked that it wasn't broken down into discrete blocks of "one thing happens at a time, and nothing else goes on until the current topic is resolved." The intermingling of plot elements made it feel more organic.
>>
>>15453356
>I enjoy you couldn't be assed to even read an article and bullshit you knowing these plot to make this convincing

Have you ever even heard English before?
>>
File: 1469648206041.png (247KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
1469648206041.png
247KB, 500x411px
>>15452841
>tetsujin 28
>>
>>15452837
It's mediocre at best.
>>
>>15452837
Very much so. Go read it now.
>>
Not OP but im watching it right now and i made it to episode 6 and i don't know if i should bother finishing it because the animation is so bad.Does it get better ?
>>
>>15459019
What's wrong with the animation?
>>
>>15459019
How do you feel about the story and characters and everything though? You know the stuff that actually matters.
>>
>>15459107
Its a slideshow
>>15459119
I liked the Mazinger and Shin Mazinger manga, but this anime didnt really grab me as much
>>
>>15459119
>You know the stuff that actually matters.
If an anime not even going to bother using animation why even bother with that medium?
>>
>>15459450
>Its a slideshow
I think I see the problem, you should try not being a compulsive liar.
>>
>watch the first episode last!
Fucking neck yourself. You watch the episodes in order. That's how it works. That's why they're numbered and aired in that order. Goddamn, you retards.
>>
>>15452841
It's better, but it's nowhere near as fun
>>
>>15459603
My argument was to skip that first episode altogether because all it does is show EVERY twist in the series and adds nothing overall while just robbing those scenes of impact.
>>
>>15459614
No. Go away.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.