[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I get into getter robo? I am aware they exist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: Shin_Getter_1_Profile_shot.jpg (96KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Getter_1_Profile_shot.jpg
96KB, 1440x1080px
How the fuck do I get into getter robo? I am aware they exist in their own universe but I wanna watch Armageddon and i was looking for some context and to learn more about the characters
>>
Read the manga
http://getterrobo.blogspot.ca/

Or watch New Getter Robo first

Or just say fuck it and watch Armageddon because it does its own thing anyways.

But read the manga at some point, it's pretty swell.
>>
File: 1382364311774.jpg (2MB, 1521x1512px) Image search: [Google]
1382364311774.jpg
2MB, 1521x1512px
>>15449764
Ken Ishikawa's manga are in the same continuity.

Each ova (there's three of them) are in their own universe.
>>
File: 1432919906187.png (93KB, 1225x1558px) Image search: [Google]
1432919906187.png
93KB, 1225x1558px
The spinoffs like Devolution, Dino Getter, Devilman vs Getter Robo, Darkness etc all do their own things.
>>
>>15449764
It's not that difficult. Either start with the manga or Armageddon. You do not need to know the franchise in order to enjoy Armageddon, everything gets explained it just starts in media res. After you finish just go production order so if you started manga go Armageddon > SvN > New or if you started with Armageddon go manga > SvN > New. After that you can branch out into ToeiGetter or the various manga like Hien or Devolution in any order you want.

Only start with New if you just want to watch one series of Getter and leave it at that. I am of the opinion that to fully appreciate New Getter you need to be acquainted with the series.
>>
>>15449764
Read
the
manga
>>
>>15449764
I'm going to go against the crowd and recommend starting with the Getter Robo Go manga, and not the original.

Getter Robo Go is frankly a better manga than the original. It's better paced, the artwork is more detailed, and it has a more cohesive story.

Not that the original is bad by any means, but Go is basically the better version of the same story.
>>
>>15450900
>I'm going to go against the crowd and be retarded by suggesting you start in the middle of the story
>>
>>15450900
This guy is a retard and should not be listened to. Recommending someone start in the middle of a series is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard and is actually dumber than that one anon who about a week ago was trying to say that you should read/view everything in chronological order.

They don't even tell the same story so I don't know what in the fuck he's talking about unless he considers "Getter team fights enemy" to be the same plot.
>>
>>15449764
Just be a mexican, you'll get into it in no time
>>
>>15450912
>Recommending someone start in the middle of a series is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard

>They don't even tell the same story

Well, is it in the middle of the story or is entirely seperate?
>>
>>15451326
>Well, is it in the middle of the story or is entirely seperate?

The fact if the matter is that Getter Robo Go is almost entirely divorced from the original story. The biggest unifying thread is an antagonist force that is introduced in the final two volumes, and even then everything you need to know about them is self-contained in Getter Robo Go. Nothing from the previous manga is required (or informative).
>>
>>15451351
>The fact if the matter is that Getter Robo Go is almost entirely divorced from the original story
Wrong. Also, fuck off.
>>
>>15451326
If you wanted to be technical about it, you could read any entry in the series by itself save maybe G. It would be stupid to do so, but you could.

>>15451351
>Nothing from the previous manga is required (or informative)
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>15451386
Don't reply to yourself as bait.
>>
>>
>>15451426
I'm sorry that I'm legitimately curious about another anons opinion
>>
>>15451534
Notoriously unfunny. The real joke is that you spent time making this.
>>
>>15451326
Go tells a new installment of the same story, not an entirely unrelated story and not just telling the same story again.
>>
File: GR Go Vol 7 pg 025.png (259KB, 818x1300px) Image search: [Google]
GR Go Vol 7 pg 025.png
259KB, 818x1300px
>>15451386
>Care to elaborate?
The long and short of it is that Go is entirely self contained. The details from the previous manga that carry over are that:

1) The Getter Robo Go is a transformer/combiner made from three fighter planes.
2) Getter Robo Go is notoriously difficult to pilot, to the point where pilots essentially need to be super human.
3) Hayato Jin was a pilot of a previous model, in addition he is a ruthless motherfucker and a scientist of some repute.

That's basically all that carries over from the original manga for the first five volumes, and all of that is quite clearly communicated in the manga itself.

Now, from volume 6 onward the story (re)introduces the Dinosaur Empire as new antagonist, but even then there isn't anything too important that Go doesn't tell you. The relevant points are that:

1) The Dinosaur Empire is a society of reptile people that fled beneath the Earth when the changing climate made the surface uninhabitable, and now they want to reclaim the planet.
2) The original Getter Robos fought against them previously and triumphed.
3) The earlier Getter Robos where powered by a form of energy called Getter Energy, and that research into this energy was halted after a terrible and mysterious accident at the Saotome Research Institute.

Of those, points 1 and 2 are quite adequately explained in Go, and there really isn't anything more to learn about them by reading the original manga. The last point, and the one that's actually salient to the story, /isn't even in the original manga./

The key parts of Getter Robo Go, such as the international war, Dr. Rando's biomechanical horror, and the terrifying, incomprehensible power of Shin Getter Robo, require no outside knowledge to appreciate.

Moreover, damn near everything that's enjoyable in the original mangas is present and improved upon in Go. Ken Ishikawa had 16 years worth of experience between the two, and it shows.

All this makes Getter Robo Go the superior starting point.
>>
>>15452246
I'm certain someone will be willing to deliberate the finer points of this with you, but I'll just say that
>/isn't even in the original manga./
looks nasty. Don't do that again.
>>
File: 1338435890761.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1338435890761.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>15452246
Literally everything from Ryoma onwards requires a knowledge of the original Getter series to fully comprehend things. Unless you just want zero comprehension on character motivations like why Ryoma finds a true Getter machine frightening or that he never wanted to touch the machine or who the fuck he even was, you need to read Getter and G.

The details that carry over are characterizations, the difference between Go Getter and previous Getter machines because Go isn't powered by Getter rays, foreshadowing because Hayato openly states that he wants to avoid using Getter rays at all costs, context that the event that destroyed Saotome labs was catastrophic because you wouldn't know any characters that died and thus care less, or the revered status the original Getter teams have. There is a big mystery angle about what happened during the 18 year gap you lose without reading properly.

The dinosaur empire refer to their previous struggle with and expound on the fact that they have just as much claim for the earth as humanity. This would come off as half baked if you don't read the prior entries and see context from the two previous civilizations that occupied earth that Getter brutally destroyed to protect humanity.

To understand the legacy of Getter, something brought up a lot in Go, you need to read the original two series. If you don't know the original two you don't even fucking know why it's called Getter or what makes it a big deal since EVERY country has regular mecha.

Unless you want to read Go JUST because you like big robot punch other big robot and don't care about story context/full narratives, then you need to read the original two. Your argument is fucking stupid, I can probably piece together any book if I start at a middle chapter but that is not optimal nor will I truly understand the series especially by the author's original intention.
>>
>>15452246
>The long and short of it is that Go is entirely self contained.
That's factually false. Stop trying to force your bad meme. Starting in the literal middle of a series is fucking stupid and recommending that is just plain trolling.
>>
>>15452246
>>15452312
To follow up my post I will say you must certainly can read Go first, hell you can read any of them as a starting point and you can get by because they properly devote themselves to their story. And just like startng with Go it's not optimal to start with Arc or G or Shin. It's best you start with the fucking beginning of the story because it's the fucking beginning. Every subsequent entry was made with the predecessor in mind and that the audience will have read what came before or have some knowledge of it.

You may as well tell someone to eat the manga and have their stomach absorb the story since that's just as optimal as your fucking retarded idea. There is literally no good reason to start with Go, especially because "I can't deal with the older art" and other similar complaints aren't good reasons.
>>
>>15452312
>Literally everything from Ryoma onwards requires a knowledge of the original Getter series to fully comprehend things. Unless you just want zero comprehension on character motivations like why Ryoma finds a true Getter machine frightening
Because of the catastrophe in Saotome Research Institute. It's perfectly explained in Go and the earlier manga doesn't touch upon it.
>or that he never wanted to touch the machine
Same.
>or who the fuck he even was,
He was a previous pilot and he can karate dinosaurs. That's all you need to know, and Go tell you that pretty clearly.
>you need to read Getter and G.
Reading the previous manga would tell you that he was a previous pilot and can karate dinosaurs. Same as Go, but you get to see it happen over more panels.

>The details that carry over are characterizations, the difference between Go Getter and previous Getter machines because Go isn't powered by Getter rays, foreshadowing because Hayato openly states that he wants to avoid using Getter rays at all costs, context that the event that destroyed Saotome labs was catastrophic because you wouldn't know any characters that died and thus care less, or the revered status the original Getter teams have. There is a big mystery angle about what happened during the 18 year gap you lose without reading properly.
And all of that is covered in Shin Getter--which is not the original manga, and was actually written after Go.

>The dinosaur empire refer to their previous struggle with and expound on the fact that they have just as much claim for the earth as humanity. This would come off as half baked if you don't read the prior entries and see context from the two previous civilizations that occupied earth that Getter brutally destroyed to protect humanity.
The fact that they have just as much claim for the Earth as humanity is actually expounded upon more in Go than it is in the original manga.
>>
Is there any particular reason to read the manga instead of watching the anime?
>>
>>15452363
Why read Go when you can read Arc? It covers similar themes and plot ideas and you don't need any context since they go over the basics from previous entries.

This is how absolutely retarded you sound.
>>
>>15452310
I'm referring to the forward slashes, by the way. I know it's supposed to be in place of italics, but it still looks weird and nasty. Of course, this is just me being autistic, so it's probably better to ignore me.

>>15452370
It's better and more enjoyable. Also much shorter, if you're specifically asking about Toei vs. OG manga.
>>
>>15452370
Completely different stories. Manga is the original story and what all OVA/anime use as a foundation in telling their own story. There has been no direct 1:1 adaptation of the manga.

There's also the fact that the manga is the best written of the franchise.
>>
>>15452312
>To understand the legacy of Getter, something brought up a lot in Go, you need to read the original two series. If you don't know the original two you don't even fucking know why it's called Getter or what makes it a big deal since EVERY country has regular mecha.
In the original manga it's a big deal because it's the robot the heroes pilot to save the day. The cool stuff about the will of Getter Energy and such is first established in Go.

>Unless you want to read Go JUST because you like big robot punch other big robot and don't care about story context/full narratives, then you need to read the original two.
Go, while continuing from the original manga, is entirely a self contained narrative. Full context is given in the manga on everything you'd need to know from the originals, and it's not much.

I think the narrative in Go is absolutely phenomenal. The original mangas, by contrast, pretty much are the typical big robot punch other big robot stereotype. Granted, it's a pretty damn fine example of that.
>Your argument is fucking stupid, I can probably piece together any book if I start at a middle chapter but that is not optimal nor will I truly understand the series especially by the author's original intention.
If you read Getter Robo Go, and only Getter Robo Go, you would fully understand it's story.
>>
>>15452383
So the original anime featured in things like SRG is not related to the manga?
>>
>>15452386
I meant SRW - Super Robot Wars.
>>
>>15452342
>Every subsequent entry was made with the predecessor in mind and that the audience will have read what came before or have some knowledge of it.
Getter Robo Go was written 16 years after the original manga in Monthly Shonen Captain.

It was absolutely not expected that it's young teenager audience would have read the original manga.
>>
>>15452386
>>15452390
Aside from the obvious things they share, like characters and such, not really, though the SRW people do usually like to throw in some of the themes and other things that are more typically associated with the manga and the OVAs based off it. Also, the manga and anime were pretty much produced right alongside each other, so they're kind of bases for each other.
>>
>>15452375
>Why read Go when you can read Arc? It covers similar themes and plot ideas and you don't need any context since they go over the basics from previous entries.
Arc absolutely does require context from Go, considerable more than Go does from the original.
>>
>>15452386
The anime is similar but very different at the same time. Same basic premise, characters, story but everything is different. Ryoma rather than being a karate master with no place in the world is now a soccer captain, Saotome is a kind leader rather than the crazy old asshole of the manga, gore and brutality is way higher in the manga, any various other differences. That's the Toei series at least, I don't know what's in the games because I've never played them.

I think SRW uses the OVA series like Armageddon and New but they are vastly different stories. Armageddon is set in an alternate future and is extremely different, New starts very similar then goes off the rails.

>>15452386
Arc was made 9 years after Shin. What's your point? Have you considered Ishikawa made all his manga so it could be appreciated on their own in case you hadn't read previous entries because he was a good writer who cared about people enjoying his written work? Just because you CAN start with Go doesn't mean that's fucking optimal, you dullard.
>>
>>15452405
What do you need to know I'm Arc that you can't hand wave away like this retard is saying Go doesn't need context for?
>>
>>15452415
>What do you need to know I'm Arc that you can't hand wave away like this retard is saying Go doesn't need context for?
Largely:
1) The true nature Getter Energy existance as a sentient force guiding life and evolution, as established in the latter volumes of Go and throughout Shin.
2) How the Hyaku Empire come from technology created in the distant future as established in Shin (and notably not mentioned in the original manga, except in a footnote in a chapter written decades after its original printing)

But it's less that Arc needs the previous manga for context so much that Arc builds upon the previous manga so much that as a reader you lose a lot from not having read Go and Shin before hand.
>>
>>15452405
>Arc absolutely does require context from Go, considerable more than Go does from the original.
Wrong. By your logic, you should start from Arc because all you need to know is
1) The Getter Robo Go is a transformer/combiner made from three fighter planes.
2) Getter Robo Go is notoriously difficult to pilot, to the point where pilots essentially need to be super human.
3) Hayato Jin was a pilot of a previous model, in addition he is a ruthless motherfucker and a scientist of some repute.
>>
>>15452484
What do you need to know from the original manga (and G) that is not better explained in Go.
>>
Why would there be any need to skip any of the manga, in the first place? Each Getter installment is relatively short, a given series shouldn't take more than a few hours to read.
>>
Is it okay if I read all the manga then watch the anime / movies for Mazinger / Getter Robo? Will I get it?
>>
>>15454838
The anime and OVAs for Getter Robo are almost entirely separate from the mangas.

That's mostly goes for Mazinger, too, although there it's less that the stories are separate so much that they tell the same story.
>>
>>15449764
Watch New Getter Robo
>>
How's the Devloution manga?

Also since Shin Mazinger Zero appeared in SRW V, could it be considered a worthy rival for the Emperor?
>>
>>15449764
Watch Getter Go anime.
>>
>>15451534
how many levels of irony is this picture on
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.