[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mekton Zeta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4

File: mekton_zeta.jpg (230KB, 600x775px) Image search: [Google]
mekton_zeta.jpg
230KB, 600x775px
Anybody on /m/ still play Mekton?
This is still probably the best mecha tabletop game.
>>
>>15441162
I would like to know more about this game and whether or not /tg/ will let me pirate it.
>>
>>15441162
>This is still probably the best mecha tabletop game.
Not much competition.
>>
>>15441162
I want to play Mekton but I've never been able to do so.
>>
>>15441162
mechtronbotech-x? NO
>>
>>15441162
It's a bit of a mess. I like how extensive the customisation is, it's flexible enough to build or stat just about anything, but it leaves an awful lot of its mechanics up to the GM to decide how they work.
>>
It's pretty bad by tabletop standards. People talk about how much customization it has, but honestly I think even that is badly done and could have been much more simplified to reach the same results.
>>
>>15441237
80s RPGs were a bit different, it was expected that gamebooks were more just guidelines and the gm would be altering the system in some way anyway to fit the group's preferences.>>15441237

Personally I love MZ, I may have sold my irl game group on a Dunbine/Escaflowne styled game with it, though I would love to do a more traditional 80s space war type game as well. The system makes for some really dynamic battles and is conducive to role playing to a high degree, you don't need much else
>>
I've been playing it a bit with some friends recently and it's a lot of fun. I'm aware it's a clusterfuck, but as long as the GM knows what he's doing and has a lot of /m/ under his belt you'll be fine.
>>
>>15441162
It's the most medium crunch mecha ttrpg, so I guess it hit that "pop" middle ground.
>>
Anyone want to play a game of this? I really want to play or run Mekton Zeta. Also BGC the RPG but that's another story.
>>
>>15444607
I'm interested and have some experience with the system already.
>>
>>15444920
Anyone else up for a game?
>>
>>15444607
I want desperately to play a robot RPG but none of my friends share the same enthusiasm and I'm also bad at playing RPGs
>>
>>15444927
Two players? Fuck it, I can run a game for two people.

You have Roll20?
>>
>>15444928
Make that three.
>>
Alright. Anyone who wants to play, send me a message here.

https://app.roll20.net/users/548650/outsider

I'm GM'd before but I'm not experienced with the system beyond just reading it for ages, so if anyone else is burning to GM, then let me know. Otherwise I'm fine with running a game as long as people can deal with a little bit of a learning curve.
>>
For those who don't know. >>>/qst/1361135 has been using the Mekton Zeta rules.
>>
I've sent out invites to the game. Feel free to join so we've got a nice place to get everyone together and talk about what we want from the game, etc.
>>
>>15444942
What time fram were you thinking of running it?
>>
>>15444968
Such a great quest, a real send up to the genre.
>>
>>15445024
Once a week, depending on which day people can make it on, time zones, etc.
>>
>>15445029
I won't get my hopes up until it's figured out. I have a feeling I'm going to be the farthest removed from the average timezone.
Be about half a day before I'll get a chance to sign up for roll20. For the record, my "what time zone" post was my first in the thread, in case you weren't sure if I was one of the anons from earlier.
>>
>>15445115
Gotcha. We should be able to manage.
>>
Hey, so, since we're kind of talking about it anyway: What the fuck happened to Mekton Zero? The original delivery date on the kickstarter was fucking December 2013. Has there been any news that indicates that it's ever actually coming out, or is it safe to assume that Zero is dead at this point?
>>
Remember when they were going to make an official Gundam RPG with this?
>>
>>15445386
He's been making updates as of late. Same old stuff. Editing, page layout and models.
>>
Not the GM, anyone already come up with their build yet?
>>
>>15445714
You've got all week to do it in and we're finalizing it on Saturday.
>>
>>15441174
Unfortunately. And there are a few reasons for that, namely that the mecha genre is rather obscure and has a very niche appeal in what was...hell, still IS a very niche industry.

One problem with mecha RPG is that the mecha genre is fairly large with it's own subgenre. A system designed for something like, saw, Mechwarrior or VOTOMS will not be designed nor play like something designed to run a '70-style combining super robot show. Combine this with most, if not all mecha systems being more inclined toward granular, gritty engineering of mechs rather than cheesy rocket-punching monsters mean there is absolutely no system out there to make a mecha game which is more 'super robot'.
>>
>This is still probably the best mecha tabletop game.

Chris Perrin's Mecha RPG.
Mutants and Masterminds is good too, though it's a bit character build heavy.
>>
File: FaceApp_1492141027441.jpg (398KB, 939x939px) Image search: [Google]
FaceApp_1492141027441.jpg
398KB, 939x939px
>>15441172
>he doesn't knows about daily PDF thread.
>>
>>15441162

To autistic for my taste when it comes to the crunch of the game, I personally perfer when the battles are abstracted out like in FATE
>>
>>15445786
I like MECHA but it's too simplistic for most people. As for M&M, I can see it working but you'd need some serious tweaking not to mention it's size chart is pretty damn small and generally terrible. It's a system which really poorly handle anything beyond large or huge size.
>>
>>15445802
>like in FATE
Found the cuck.
>>
>>15444968
>> Mecha space pirate quest
>> Uses a fucking Gyan for the cover

WTF are they doing.
>>
>>15445816
Time to roll for anal circumference

...wait, that's FATAL.
>>
>>15445808
If you like simpler, more abstract systems, go with MECHA. If you like something with more crunch to it, go with M&M.

I didn't really have issues with M&M's size chart. All changing size does is give you a few extra points in strength, penalties in defense or whatever, easy enough to simulate (or get around) with normal PP expenditure.

I've run or participated in many Mutants and Masterminds mecha games and it always worked great.
>>
>>15445861
Meh okay, I take it back: I'd still rather play FATE than FATAL.

>>15445869
>I've run or participated in many Mutants and Masterminds mecha games and it always worked great.
Well, now I'm curious: any houserules, tweaks, anything? I know the mecha rules from Mecha & Manga are considered clumsy or poorly done but then again few people really like the book, finding it cringeworthy.
>>
...damn. we made it so long before anyone came in trying to convert us to gurps... guess i knew it couldn't last.
>>
>>15445879
No one is talking about GURPS except you, buddy.
>>
File: backtopol.png (322KB, 546x700px) Image search: [Google]
backtopol.png
322KB, 546x700px
>>15445855

>> KEK

You know what that means right?
>>
>>15446015
>he doesn't even say kek in his post
>also thinking 'kek' is purely the language of /pol/ when it originally come from WoW
>being this scared of like ten dudes circlejerking to frog memes and being edgy
Whew lads
>>
>>15445855
If I remember right the Gyan is being used to represent the Rival/deuteragonist Amos' custom mecha.
>>
>>15446015
means you're easily triggered by World of Warcraft noises
you must be an allyfag
>>
File: 1491614667469.png (172KB, 400x590px) Image search: [Google]
1491614667469.png
172KB, 400x590px
>>15445855
Were playing a side character right now whose was from the faction that uses Gyans as there base mech. Currently what we pilot looks like pic related.

>>15446080
Amos's arc finished a couple months ago, we just finished playing Caesar.
>>
>>15446314
>Amos's arc finished a couple months ago, we just finished playing Caesar.
I know that. I have the quest open in another window. I was answering why a Gyan was being used for the cover even if it isn't really the right cover to use.
>>
>>15446015
kys newfag
>>
>>15446424
I thought you meant he was using it because we were playing Amos. Simple misunderstanding that stinger at the end of the last thread was pretty great.
>>
>>15445876
>Well, now I'm curious: any houserules, tweaks, anything?

Mecha and Manga's rules for mecha creation and use are too clunky, except outmaneuvering (good representation of ace pilot tricks) and some weapon extras.

What I usually did is treat the mecha as a device with a different PL than the pilot. For example the pilots are PL 6 with +6 attack/damage/defense/toughness, the mecha are PL 8 with +6 attack/defense and +10 damage/toughness. Or some other number depending on what tradeoffs the players want - that was just an example.

Regarding cost, the drop between devices and equipment is too sharp so I usually houseruled it as 4 PP/rank for special snowflake unique mecha and 3 PP/rank for mass produced units that players pick from a list approved by the GM. Depends on the game, obviously.

Mecha and Manga feats are pretty broken but then M&M is easy to break if you're trying to do it anyway. The biggest cheese here isn't combat actually, but going full Lacus peace princess build with as many diplomancer/"Everyone stop fighting!" feats as possible.
>>
Hey, GM. Should we disregard the fluff in the corebook, or are we going to start out with the pre-set setting?
>>
>>15446702
Not GM, but a player.

The GM has a setting we are going to use, but the players are going to help flesh it out a bit in session zero.
>>
>>15446702
We're basically going with a setting that I made that's basically a gestalt of different stuff to allow different sorts of campaigns. The plan is over the next week or so to flesh out the area you're in and get a better sense of what people are after.
>>
>>15441162
How is it compared to Battle Century G?
>>
>>15445624
They did, it only came out in Japan, look up Gundam Senki RPG. I own a copy of it, it's not that hard to find but unless you can read moonrunes it's not going to do you much good as anything but a nice collectors piece.

R. Tal was going to release it stateside during the Gundam boom but it fell through at the last minute. Supposedly a fully translated version exists that the public will never see.
>>
The last time there was a Tabletop thread on /m/ I started toying with the idea of doing mecha with FFG's Star Wars RPG rules.

I refined the idea a liiiiiiiiittle bit since then, and I still think it's easily doable.
>>
>>15449093
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HJZLW49aUkVeWpurcoC1Pk5MWSPoG65OzaNeGUEQxpM

Here's a link to my notes, by the way.
>>
>>15447237
BCG is a much faster, looser game, focused more on the cinematic feel and fast action of a mecha anime.

MZ is crunchier and "techy-er," it plays a bit slower and puts more emphasis on the capabilities of a mecha as portrayed by its tech specs.

I won't say either is better or worse than the other, they have wholly different styles and methods in mind so it's kind of not fair to compare them. It comes down more to what gets YOUR rocks off rather than what each game brings to the table.
>>
Just finished a 13 session Iron-Blooded Orphans game running parallel to the series.

Mekton Z is a fine system for gundam, so long as you aren't too picky about the details, and don't mind leaving your fate up to the D10, the most fickle of dice.

But if there's one thing I can say for the system, exploding crits AND botches make for some unbelievable boss fights.
>>
>>15444942
just messaged you,

cant wait to play
>>
>>15449128
That's fair. Thanks for the feedback. I have been enjoying reading through the reference doc for BCG but haven't tried Mekton.
>>
>>15441162

Man, that is by far the best looking Hi-Zack that I've seen. I mean, it even has the proper Feddie visor face going for it!
>>
>>15445786
>Chris Perrin's Mecha RPG.
I heavily disagree, it's so rules light it's barely even a proper RPG

>>15445802
>I personally perfer when the battles are abstracted out like in FATE
man what terrible taste
>>
>>15441162
anon you have brought Joy to my life with this nostalgia!
>>
CRITICAL BUMP!
>>
>>15441162
I played this as a kid and understood nothing.
>>
>>15457732
That's all on you.
>>
>>15457732
How?
>>
>>15458734
Because it's not a complicated system. It just has a lot of stuff around it.
>>
>>15457959
To be fair, my friends and I played a lot of AD&D and other RPGs as kids only to find out as we got older and actually had the patience to sit down and read the books and figure them out that we were doing almost everything wrong.

Kids don't care as much about the rules of a game, just that they're rolling dice and having fun.
>>
If my friends and I were gonna try doing something crazy, like, say, Gundam Build Fighters, should we like, literally shove off everything but piloting skills and all that?
>>
>>15460362
For that, I'd mirror an Armored Core system and rate parts based on predetermined values
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.