[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did mecha never take off in the west?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 28

File: quality mongolian robot show.gif (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
quality mongolian robot show.gif
1MB, 960x720px
Why did mecha never take off in the west?
>>
>>15439345
Too used to slaves.
>>
>>15439345
Because we have some semblance of taste.

>>15439353
That has nothing to do with anything.
>>
File: titanfail.jpg (314KB, 985x963px) Image search: [Google]
titanfail.jpg
314KB, 985x963px
>>15439345
Because "mecha" is a dirty word.
>>
>>15439392
Okay but why?
>>
>>15439345
As retarded as it sounds it is because it isn't "realistic."
>>
>>15439360
You aren't in the right board nor site.
>>
>>15439392
are you saying that it sounds too close to something else? something that might be associated with something the west isn't a fan of?
>>
>>15439345
West has excessive "Realism Autism". Not enough suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>15439392
This artist dude got fired and Titanfall 2 when full /m/. that and Brigador makes me hopeful for more /m/ west things.
>>
File: 1386756364855.gif (888KB, 260x173px) Image search: [Google]
1386756364855.gif
888KB, 260x173px
Giant robots are innately silly if you go all /k/ sperglord

Japs are confident stretching suspension of disbelief a lot further, that's why you have animes where kids and teens battling with cards or spinning tops hold the fate of mankind at stake.

The west struggles to make future space war scifi where the primary weapons are gigantic piloted battle robots completely unironically.

There were a lot of 80s /m/ cartoons but they all died out.
>>
>>15439630
Is the Battletech cartoon even any good?
>>
File: 2619952.jpg (17KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
2619952.jpg
17KB, 400x298px
>>15439636
no
>>
>>15439592
>Brigador makes me hopeful for more /m/ west things.
Brigador didn't do to well, at least that's what I thought. So they didn't have a plan to continue making games.
But it seem they are planning to do "rerelease" of sort with a lot of new content.
so dunno
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-15-23-51-00.png (555KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-15-23-51-00.png
555KB, 1280x720px
Best mech
>>
Because the west has no imagination and needs everything to be realistic without ever realizing that realism is the cancer that causes stagnation in culture and science.

If everyone operated like western writers we would have never got the F14. Think about that for a second.

Stranger than fiction only applies because fiction writers in the west are obsessed with MUH REALISM.
>>
>>15439675
>ever got the F14
Despite being cool as fuck in hindsight variable geometry wings and Phoenix missile weren't worth the trouble
>>
>>15439584
>>15439675
I'll second these guys.

There's clearly some feel for metal in the form of stuff like SRMTHFG, SCUD, MEGAS, The Big Guy and Rusty, etc. but it seems that these things simply don't have the power of preestablished franchises nor have more mecha series followed.
>>
>>15439717
A lot of this stuff tends to just be parodies or knock-offs of nip stuff too.
>>
>>15439707
The fact is those crazy lunatics did it and they constantly do shit that science fiction writers in the west would laugh off as impossible.

USAF space program has been testing magnetic solar wave gravity engines that essentially surf sunlight and will be launching their fancy ass space plane pretty soon using the system in order to validate the idea of moving away from liquid fuel all together for fighter jets and space equipment.

According to one of the designers it'll essentially look like planes surfing waves in the ocean made of refracted sunshine.

and then Eureka Seven is canon to reality.
>>
>>15439345
Because if you aren't a "beautiful" missile or other military handware, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>15439584
>>15439675
Have you somehow managed to never watch any film or tv show with firearms or cars in it? Fuck it, any tv show about anything other than cooking? That's the only way you can say the west is autistically into realism without lying.
>>
>>15439734
*any western film or tv show
>>
>>15439734
>watching anything without giant robots in it
>>
>>15439719
You know, I actually have started to feel down on Big Guy and Rusty because of this. I've been reading a bit of Astro Boy, and knowing Rusty is a sort of knockoff of him, I kinda like B&R less because Rusty, in the comic at least, really doesn't seem a lot like Astro Boy at all. The same spirit and story just isn't there.

In Astro Boy, stories revolve around men and machines and their relations, as well as the consequences of greed, discrimination, etc. or just zany antics and crazy stuff with robots often suffering for it all. Astro Boy's origin in and of itself sort of reflects this; he was made in the first place to replace Prof. Tenma's dead son. After being abandoned by Tenma for his very nature, his sense of justice, others' kindness, and the fact that he's a robot let him deal with a medley of events of all sorts and come out on top, building experience as well.

In the Big Guy and Rusty comic, Rusty's just a superpowered robot in a kid's shape with none of the experience of Astro, nor charm. He's there to job in the face of a near-invincible monster and (eventually) be Big Guy's sidekick, which is lame in a sense but kinda the point. What's actually lame is how that IMO doesn't reflect a lot of the spirit of Astro Boy itself. It's a comic with a not-Astro Boy in it, but he's just there. That's it.

>>15439734
That's another thing, actually; here in the States people will gobble up any absurd shit with superheroes, magic, action as you mention it, drama, etc. but the minute giant robots step into the scene all suspension of disbelief is thrown out the window in exchange for chants of "square cube law" or "shoot them while they combine" or what have you.
>>
>>15439630
But thats bullshit.. Otherwise, Power Rangers wouldn't be as popular and long lived as it is.
>>
>>15439760
I'm not sure it's relevant, but I think that it may be important to note that Power Rangers is localized Sentai, and the fact that it's long-running in and of itself may be a part of why it survives at all.

You know how people often think of Transformers, Power Rangers, Voltron, etc. when they see robots here in the US? I think that may be important. People in the US fucking love franchises; brand recognition is a big thing in business. People will recognize franchises and appreciate them, but new things don't seem to catch on nearly as easily, with giant robots seeming to suffer in particular because of this. The same thing can be said to apply to Japan or anywhere else, really, in the form of Gundam, Macross etc. but at the same time there seems to be a lot of variety elsewhere that the US does not get in giant robot terms.
>>
>>15439758
>in exchange for chants of "square cube law" or "shoot them while they combine"
This is the worst. We're so fucking hypocritical we always talk up those utterly moronic scenes in action films where two characters will just fucking stare at each other with guns and shit talk at a climactic moment, and then complain whenever someone isn't shooting at something. These fuckers talk about "b-but that's not possible!" while knowing absolutely nothing about physics right after praising a movie that somehow has magical bullets that go exactly where your reticle/iron sight is no matter what the situation.

The west's interpretation of fiction makes no sense.
>>
>>15439772
I mean yeah, the fact that it's localized Sentai is why I used it as an example. But I love stuff like Gundam, Battletech, etc. Basically, I love mecha. I love games where I can customize my own like Armored Core and ones where I can go around and have the same amount of firepower as moderate army divisions. I just dont see why others in this country don't. I mean, I don't even think the argument of it being "Too Japanese" applies when you consider all of the other particularly "Japanese" Things this countries swallows.
>>
>>15439584

Millions of superhero movies would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>15439345

Couple of reasons, the West treats weapons like tools, unlike Japanese tradition with the katana etc. of treating a weapon like an extension of the person. Less of an attachment to a robot as a 'character' in the west.

Secondly, Japan is a lot more technophilic. Whenever robots show up in western movies, they're usually the bad guys, and lots of our greatest sci-fi movies are all cautionary tales about the dangers of AI, robotics, etc.

Even in kids cartoons, the heroes are usually super-powered, and one of the most common cliches of a super villain is that they use robots.
>>
>>15439345
>Why did mecha never take off in the west?

You're talking shit man. Just one word : Transformers.

As for the whole taking off in the west as opposed to the east, look again dipshit. Today mecha is comatose in the east, land of the rising sun. What few and far between mecha shows are done are either : gundam or some 13 or some show with school girls no one gives a shit about. The days of the 70s and 80s when science fiction anime ruled the roost is gone. Gone with the wind man. Never to come back.

Those SRW videogames everybody is ga-ga over ? Guess what, most iconic robots are those that have 30 and 40 years on their shoulders. If that ain't the proof of a dying genre I don't know what is.
>>
>>15439592
Yeah Titanfall 2 even openly references Mazinger Z by name. There's a call sign thingy called Titanfall Z with a black Ion showing off its Breasto Fiyah in the classic pose
Been trying to unlock it but I suck at FPS especially on a console
>>
>>15439630
>why you have animes where kids and teens battling with cards or spinning tops hold the fate of mankind at stake.
Yeah but they never crossed that threshold until Jojo popularized "Battles via Proxy". Everything from Pokemon to Build Fighters owes it's existence to SDC being ridiculously popular
>>
>>15439879
>and one of the most common cliches of a super villain is that they use robots.
That's more because the censors are a-okay with tearing up robots, so they're good cannon fodder when you want the heroes to not have to hold back or start breaking something.
>>
>>15439925

>mecha is comatose in the East

And what the fuck do we have to show for vitality? Voltron, Power Rangers and dead shows made by Tartakovsky?
>>
>>15439675
>Because the west has no imagination
Maybe not when it comes to fantastical robots and shit, but when it comes to writing a plot they're MILES ahead of the Japanese and their mountains of clichés and tropes that have to be used otherwise the autistic Otaku REEE that's there's no kidnapped girl or a tsundere or a guy who pushing someone out if the way of a speeding truck in midair
Gintama would be improved by about 1000% if Glasses kid would stop screaming like an idiot but apparently that's what a "Straight man" is in comedy to the Nips and their cliches
>>
>>15439925
>You're talking shit man. Just one word : Transformers.
Transformers is indeed complete pile of shit since Bayformers creation.
>Guess what, most iconic robots are those that have 30 and 40 years on their shoulders. If that ain't the proof of a dying genre I don't know what is.
How robots can be iconic WITHOUT 30-40 years on their shoulders?
>>
Why is /m/ so culture-mixing?

Why not just the east has mecha, and the west has its own thing like tolkien fantasy/capeshit and stuff like that?

Why keep mixing it?

Pacific Rim was shit too.
>>
>>15439956
>using shitty mainstream anime as example
I can do that too
or maybe we should start with last power rangers movie?
>>
>>15439972
But that's a cape kino.
>>
>being a Western person but having a hateboner against Western forms of entertainment
I always felt like /m/ should symbolically stand against this shit. I know /a/utist and /jp/ crossboarders have always been around but /m/ combines both East & West in our subject matter and I thought it was nice that many of us could restrain from acting like Wapanese fags while still being far more knowledgeable and less pleb about Eastern stuff than most blatant Weebs. And appreciate Western Sci-Fi especially the classic stuff (which Need I Remind You was FILLED WITH ROBOTS) that inspired niggas like Tomino.
But times are changing, sadly.
>>
>>15439972
But Gintama IS good I just hate the Glasses kid. It's just an example don't get autism about it
>>
>>15439979
I'm in between of both, so sue me.
Newer western media just sucks balls in most cases, it was better decade or so ago.
>>
>>15439982
>I'm in between of both,
But that's what I'm saying, that's How /m/ should be. We should appreciate the good aspects of both while rightfully shitting on the bad aspects of both.
This war between the Weebs and the Westaboos where you have to pick a side like its /co/ or /v/ or something doesn't belong on /m/
>>
>>15439974
Piss off /tv/
>>
>>15439967
>>15439991
Two ideological sworn enemies right here
Gladiator matches when??
>>
>>15439991
I dunno, west had plenty of possibilities to capitalize on giant robots. But in the end either it never happened or they managed to kill everything good about franchise in the first place.
Take Bionicles for example. Great series aaaand it's dead thanks to bad decisions later on from what I gather. When Battletech was big in west, you had books, games, even cartoon. Aaand some of it was poorly executed and never was bothered again.
Franchises are in general milk cows, but difference is that west hardly can capitalize on niche milking cow more than once or twice, while japan seems to be able milking same cow for decades.
>>
>>15439967
I remember when it came out and praise here was unanimous and the hype was through the roof
Aside from the Chinese and Russians dying so fast, that's literally the only Criticism I remember seeing here out of dozens of constant threads back then. We appreciated greatly that something like Pacific Rim could even exist.
>>
>>15440002
Well it's those Scandi' snowniggers in charge of LEGO and they literally phased out Bionicle for Ninjago which was arguably more Weeb. If you consider Ninja Turtles weeb inspired anyway which I'm pretty sure it was especially with the similarities to Sentai.
>>
>>15439867
That's the thing my anon.
Capeshit is cool to normas but cartoon robutts are considered "unrealistic" and "childish".
>>
I honestly believe /m/ greatly exaggerates Western negative reaction to mecha. Considering whenever anything humorous in the west talks about hypothetical SUPERCOOL scenarios a mech is usually involved alongside your typical Dinosaurs and lasers and shit Mechs are everywhere in western games.
I think it's just Hollywood and /k/fags distorting /m/s perception. Even Marvel got the rights to some Nip robots like Reideen at one point because they knew it was hot shit, in exchange for allowing Japanese to make that Spiderman Toku.
>>
>>15440034
Likewise, /m/ exaggerates the nips love for mecha.
Japanese kids these day don't give a fuck about robots and think they are old people stuff.
>>
Because Western companies weren't the ones making and selling toys. When they did (Hasbro with Transformers), you saw success due to marketing and promotion. Add in the child safety scare where you couldn't show people getting killed, etc, in children's media and that put the brakes on a lot of stuff on top of that.
>>
We just don't like the pilot aspect as much, unless it's a non-humanoid vehicle like Mechwarrior.

When we think of a robotic person (giant or otherwise) it's either a friend that has its own personality and free will or a movie monster and when it is about robots serving humans(the animatrix, bsg 2004 etc) it's always about politics
>>
>>15439345
because you don't ride robots in the west they ride you instead
>>
>>15439675
>Because the west has no imagination and needs everything to be realistic without ever realizing that realism is the cancer that causes stagnation in culture and science.
hard cold truth
>>
>>15439661
that fight scene was awesome
>>
>>15439661
Yeah I just watched it last night. Hadn't watched it in over 10 years

The nostalgia
>>
>>15439345
Japan's super heroes all have powers that come from something greater than a human; their mythology being about non-human ethereal and their cultural ideals revolving around higher causes.
See: Stands, Personas, Demon-magic, and, in this case, Giant Robots. The human inside doesn't shoot lasers, or fly, or anything like that; only through the giant robot are their full powers utilizable. Giant-robo is almost a nice middle ground that doesn't necessarily require too much magic or religion; just a little super-science.

Conversely western culture; specifically North-American/USA culture, which is what anime fans mean 1/2 the time they say "The West," like "The West" isn't every thing on the left-side of India, but I digress. Western ideals are about the individual, a god who made men "in his image," and self-actualization; hence most of our heroes with super powers are the source of their own powers, they're either rich, or half-alien, or trained their bodies to be near super-human like 70% of the time. Giant-robo means the person in the cockpit isn't special, or, at the very least, that they're not the source of their own power; whoever gave theme the robot is.

There are exceptions of course; there are exceptions to everything, but,
> TL;DR
Different ideals of power.
>>
File: fighter.jpg (107KB, 1347x941px) Image search: [Google]
fighter.jpg
107KB, 1347x941px
>>15439345

/m/echa get in the way of these guys screen time. The west are planewankers.
>>
>>15440777
why the fuck F-22 always got fucked by kaijus in movies
>>
>>15440786
>That is not a F-22
>>
>>15440775
Which means shit all to children.

We're proof that it's not impossible for people in the West to like robots. It's simply a matter of marketing and exposure.
>>
>>15440788
all planes looks the same to me

a glass canopy with wings. tool of transportation of air with weapons attached on them.
>>
>>15440789
> which means shit to children
Introduction to cultural norms begins before you can speak. Children observe the behaviors of your parents/guardians, and the sorts of stories they and the media tell them, and even if they don't know the whys or hows or whens, but they can pick up on their reactions to things. They come to assume what peoplelike, don't like, find abhorrent, find refreshing, think is confusing, etc, form their body language and facial expressions.
When kids hit the "why" phase, which is usually about age 3~6 btw; well before the target demographic of half these shows, they've already got preconceptions about how people are excepted to behave; those are the things they ask questions about, "why is that man crying," "why is that lady laughing," etc, along with your usual "why is the sky blue," type of stuff.
>>
>>15440811
I think you're completely over-exaggerating both the impact of cultural norms in this context and over-reaching with the importance of varied cultures, implying that each society is driven solely by grand narratives, leading you to reject less high-minded, but more practical explanations. If there had been Western companies making the toys, and if we had retained an acceptance of violence within children's media of the early 20th century meaning that as non-human entities, robots could beat the shit out of each other without moral guardians getting upset, we'd have seen much greater pushing of pilotable robots. The idea that there's some grand ineffable cultural shift really doesn't make sense, especially as culture is in such flux and has been shifting radically this way and that over the entire.

In addition, it puts everything in the West in the American/Anglo perspective, and ignores not only the popularity of robot shows in other countries WHILE THEY WERE BEING AIRED AND ACTIVELY MARKETED, but also how these socieites have changed.

It's up there with THE WEST ALWAYS DISTRUSTS MACHINERY when it's been the driving force behind technological innovation and the main proponent of better living through technology since the 1750s.
>>
File: 8a1455e1b21f257caf91d5a861bd55e0.jpg (494KB, 1168x1810px) Image search: [Google]
8a1455e1b21f257caf91d5a861bd55e0.jpg
494KB, 1168x1810px
>>15439584
>Realism Autism
Well excessive unrealism autism didn't stop Star Wars becoming a pop culture icon.
>>
>>15440841
I meant that without having to have robots punch each other rather than have humans punch each other with robots.
>>
>>15440853
because starwars doesn't have humanoid mechs
>>
>>15440801
>all planes looks the same to me

Say that to Kawamori's face you fucktard.
>>
>>15440873
> humanoid mechs
There's Transformers for that.
>>
>>15440894
modern are shit
old are dead
comics still surviving tho
two good games were an exception
>>
File: 1352680702244.gif (3MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1352680702244.gif
3MB, 384x288px
>>15440786
>Clearly thousand pound bombs and anti tank missiles do nothing
>Maybe if you engage the kaiju at super close range with your gun it might work?
>>
>>15439925
>If that ain't the proof of a dying genre I don't know what is.
I'd say instead that's proof of enduring appeal. Decades later and people still love them.
>>
>>15439584
>Realism Autism
I find it incredulous that the west can take all the capeshit nonsense, or the high end scifi like Dr. Who or Star Trek with a straight face, but somehow giant robots are out of the question.
YOU! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
I! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
WE! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
CHICKS! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
NICE
>>
>>15439879
>Secondly, Japan is a lot more technophilic. Whenever robots show up in western movies, they're usually the bad guys, and lots of our greatest sci-fi movies are all cautionary tales about the dangers of AI, robotics, etc.

This. Just look at American media with robots compared to Japanese media with robots. In America, robots bring the destruction of the planet. In Japan, robots help humanity. There are exceptions, but this is what's common. Most popular "good guy robot" franchises in America are from Japan. Voltron is Golion. Power Rangers is Super Sentai. Even Transformers originated from Japanese toys, and are still co-developed between Hasbro and Takara Tomy. Plus Transformers has both "good guy robots" and "kill you robots." Americans just have this fantasy where robots destroy the world for some reason.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-15-23-46-38.png (623KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-15-23-46-38.png
623KB, 1280x720px
P2
>>
>>15439345
Cause it's fucking gay impractical shit. Like really nerd? Giant robots? Christ get it together loser.
>>
>>15439592
>and Brigador makes me hopeful for more /m/ west things.

I love Brigador but so few people bought it they're giving it a new title and relaunching it in hopes of finally getting noticed by more than ten people.
>>
>>15439734
>>15439867
>>15440853
>>15441053
For whatever reason a lot of people here just draw the line at giant humanoid robots. Fuck I was talking about mecha shows with a guy at work once who liked Gundam Wing and Robotech and was looking for some more shows to watch and this one guy in our group started questioning why I like mecha shows and went on about muh practicality. I don't know why it's mechs that are when people in the west or at least in America finally start questioning the plausibility of it but it's an unfortunate reality we live in.
>>
>>15439760
Power Rangers took off because it adapted Zyuranger right at the height of dinomania in the early 90s. Ever since then it's mainly just been little kids and people who were nostalgic over the original series that's kept it alive.
>>
>>15441333
Well in shows like 0079 there's a good reason for why they use mobile suits
>>
>>15440775
>Western ideals are about the individual, a god who made men "in his image," and self-actualization; hence most of our heroes with super powers are the source of their own powers, they're either rich, or half-alien, or trained their bodies to be near super-human like 70% of the time. Giant-robo means the person in the cockpit isn't special, or, at the very least, that they're not the source of their own power; whoever gave theme the robot is.

I see where you're coming from, but it doesn't necessarily rule out mecha stories. It's perfectly possible for Americans make mecha stories that fit the western idea of the eternal individual.
The Transformers were themselves the individuals, so why aren't there any other popular american franchises that have big robots as characters?
Even more broadly the only change you'd need to make to mecha in general is to replace the "boy's father gives him a robot that he built " cliche to "boy builds a robot".
>>
>>15439974
Oblige a gopnik here. is /tv/'s "kino" meme just literally saying something is "cinema" in Russian?
>>
File: Kino.no.Tabi.full.146982[1].jpg (2MB, 4237x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Kino.no.Tabi.full.146982[1].jpg
2MB, 4237x3000px
>>15443348
Kino?
>>
>>15442861
>boy builds a robot
Which has happened before, to be fair

>>15443348
Is supposed to be the old greek word for it because memes and you have to jerk off the greeks
>>
>>15441182
Tobor the Great being the exception. Heck, even Rocky's robot was helpful.
>>
>>15442861
Don't the Westworld series counts as mecha? Even Black Mirror has mecha episodes.
>>
If it was because of lack of realism then explain why there was no interest in real robo
>>
>>15439345

This thread reminds me of this question: How to establish a trend for mecha in the image of man as a war machine for the West?
>>
>>15441312
Go back to plying rugby, Tyson
>>
>>15441182
Yeah but all of Asimovs work was designed to break that "robots are always bad" stereotype. But Hollywood is retarded. Look outside Hollywood and you see heroic robots in western Vidya all the time
>>
>>15440187
Ah yes here's another reason why Robots are often villains in the West. Censorship. It's easier to show the slaughter of robotic villains than humans ones.
>>
>>15441333
This post is basically unintentional bait as I've said all thread long, /m/ completely makes up this bullshit about Westerners thinking mechs are unrealistic or something. I never that shit until I came to /m/
This is because you fucktards can't detect bait and take everything autists from /k/ say at face value
>>
>>15439353
got that reference
>>
>>15439345
But it did.
>>
File: Wholesome Christian Mechs.jpg (201KB, 495x640px) Image search: [Google]
Wholesome Christian Mechs.jpg
201KB, 495x640px
>>15443852
>>
File: Goldrake.jpg (67KB, 819x570px) Image search: [Google]
Goldrake.jpg
67KB, 819x570px
>>15443852
>>15443856
Jokes aside, a big chunk of Italian programming back in the day was dedicated to old anime series. The most popular genres were historical slice of life, like Heidi, Sanpei or Anne of Green Gables, and Giant Robo. However, stuff like Goldrake/Grendizer, Jeeg, Harlock, Tetsujin-28, Daitarn and the like were HUGE over here for a couple of decades. Knock-off toys used to sell like hotcakes.
>>
>>15443883
Precisely. And when the supply of cheap toys and easily, cheaply licensed content began to dry up, companies stopped promoting it.
>>
>>15443561
Because they aren't realistic at all.

>>15443621
It is very true, whether your autism wants to admit it or not.
>>
>>15444113
It's not though. Kids love robots and merchandise of friendly robots sells tons. Look how popular the likes of K9, or robots in British comics were. Massive, long lasting comic strips and pulp novels, etc.
>>
File: 1244733108261.jpg (49KB, 360x362px) Image search: [Google]
1244733108261.jpg
49KB, 360x362px
>>15439758
That's a big part of the disconnect between the comic and the cartoon. Frank Miller's writing is full of cynicism. Geoff Darrow's artwork is gory and quite detailed. The cartoon based off of it has a far more positive outlook on life. It's amazing that we got the cartoon at all, given the comic.
>>
only shitty mecha didnt desu
>>
>>15440775
In real robot series, at least, being an ace pilot is an accomplishment, not something given to you. Even if they have a super prototype it comes down to the pilot.
How is a mecha any different to a tank, or a fighter jet?
>>
>>15439345
Cause westerners are boring as fuck. They don't have a sense of aesthetics or adventure anymore. I blame postmodernism desu.
>>
>>15443621
Yeah the guy I worked with and have gotten into multiple conversations about the same subject with never existed it was all just made up to get (You)s.
>>
The issue isnt realism so much as it is grit. If you make something dark and gritty it doesnt matter how goofy the concept is, Americans will eat it up.

A big part of this is also looking really complicated. Thats why only big budget stuff can pull off mecha here, it has to look really complicated and detailed because that makes it feel more adult to shallow idiots.

Simple looking or colorful robots dont work here. Just look at the transformers movies, every transformer except bumblebee is basically just shades of gray.

People might talk about it being unrealistic, but grit it up enough and make it appear 'adult' and people stop using that complaint.
>>
>>15439967
>Pacific Rim
>shit
Get out normie REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>15443364
>boy builds a robot
Yeah, there's Big Hero 6 for example and also Real Steel kind of counts since the kid basically uses his own custom software to breathe new life into a trainer robot that by pure specifications is inferior to every robot he fights, yet he manages to win
>>
>>15440187
>Because Western companies weren't the ones making and selling toys
As always, the answers are in the business/economic side of things.
>>
>>15442861
> "There are exceptions of course; there are exceptions to everything,"
reading comp/10
>>
>>15439345
It did, in the 80s. Transformers, Gobots, Robotech, Voltron, Mighty Orbots. The list goes on.

This is now a Mighty Orbots thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRk_j0eFJGo&list=PLvjZ9vWNn5j93_fLMlKSy4zfr2vZYAsPl
>>
>>15440841
> posts an entire paragraph to put words in my mouth
well done

There's literally a dozen terms for these 'ineffable,' influences, and your hypothetical show that could be sucessful is basically Transformers; sans pilots obviously. Additionally, the first half of my my original post is spent explaining japan's stance on the genre, so no, I'm not putting everything an occidental perspective here.
You can literally program a human if you want to. We're built to adapt, and we're built to learn. We make assumptions about everything, all the time; usually without realizing it. It's how racism works, it's how religions survive, and it's how most kids in american grade school know what the circle game is, and how to play it.
>>
>>15451179
The only reason they're exceptions is because mecha stories never caught on in the west as much as in japan.
In the alternative universe were that's reversed then there'd be a post in this thread about how mecha exemplify individualism and power through the self too much for japanese story telling, with a few exceptions.
>>
>>15439345
>Why did mecha never take off in the west?

What is the Transformers live action cinematic universe franchise?
>>
>>15451356
One minor example that didn't even do that great
>>
>>15439979
>Hey guise Tomino got inspired by that robot from Fantastic Planet a few decades back so respect r-right?
Fuck off. You want to talk about western mecha than piss off to Fasa's zombie forums. They could use the traffic.
>>
>>15439661
That movie was kino
>>
>>15452674
It was a meme, yes
>>
Because cartoons are for children and robots are silly shit.

The vast majority of normalfags I've spoken to on the matter have an ingrained 'mature things for mature people such as myself' attitude. The only cartoons for adults are comedy where its okay to be silly but even then it seems to stretch the patience of these people.
>>
>>15454746
>cartoons are for children and robots are silly shit
But normalfags watch capeshit cartoons all the time
>>
>>15454796
Capeshit has been entrenched for decades and even then anecdotally I know plenty of people who give zero fucks about it beyond 'muh 8 year old wants to see green man, hulk right?'. Keep in mind this observation is based purely on anecdotal experience.

Also look at some of the western movies that actually focus on robots like wall-E or Irobot, it never exalts in being a robot. It is treated like a handicap to be overcome and focuses on the personality behind it.
>>
File: trek.jpg (346KB, 600x2181px) Image search: [Google]
trek.jpg
346KB, 600x2181px
>>15439575
And super heroes and gay space wizards are?
>>
>>15440951

This always jostles my johnnies. like, bruh, if the big boy stuff didn't git'r dun, what makes you think a couple hundred dinky little rounds of 20mm is going to help? And if you're just that much of a cowboy, why not do it from like two miles out like a sane person?

nooo, gotta go circle king kong at arms reach like a little biplane.
>>
File: Timo Vuruensola's Iron Sky.jpg (148KB, 529x755px) Image search: [Google]
Timo Vuruensola's Iron Sky.jpg
148KB, 529x755px
Still technically an /m/ cult classic.
>>
File: Fritz Lang's Metropolis.jpg (68KB, 580x856px) Image search: [Google]
Fritz Lang's Metropolis.jpg
68KB, 580x856px
>>15452628
Call it friendo. A silent film about the class struggle between the rich and the poor, the role of the media, the seven deadly sins, and the whore of Babylon.
>>
>>15455123
You don't count nazi spaceships battling SJW spaceships /m/?. It even has a steampunk look at the nazi moonbase.
>>
>>15439707
Variable geometry wings were absolutely necessary for the time due to the weak engines of the time period. As for the phoenix missiles, we will never know how well they worked. Hell, most missiles are untested especially against competent peer foes. The concept is definitely viable though as several countries like Russia and China operate missiles with a similar role and capability.
>>
>>15439345
You can't really have a vibrant and healthy mecha scene without mecha anime/cartoons. Cartoons are aimed at a younger audience than mecha anime in Japan is. Therefore, mecha can never really take off in the US/west.
>>
>>15441182
Nope. Wall-E serves humans. Tobor literally kill bad guys. The Iron Giant wants friendship.
>>
>>15455166
Tobor was a Bob Kinoshita design. Same guy who made Robbie and B9 Blinky from Lost in Space
>>
>>15439760
one of the things that helped Power Ranger in my opinion was that they established from the beginning that most of the stuff on both Rita and Zordon's sides are at least semi-magical in nature, and Magic is an easy way to get people to suspend their disbelief
>>
>>15439934
You can also totally Shining Finger dudes with Scorch and one of the titans has a fucking electrified sword that's one step away from a heat saber.
>>
>>15455237
What about that Robot from Short Circuit? Wall-E was based from him. Bubo from Clash of the Titans definitely inspired the Blade Runner Owl scene.
>>
I think we're vastly overestimating the importance of cultural influence in this, at least, when it comes to how Japan or the US views giant robots.
The main problem I think is one of practicality. For the US and much of "the West", cinema is the main propogator of pop culture influence since, like, the 1950s or earlier.
Giant robots just aren't easy to film without CG, so the robots would either be too expensive to make or simply unconvincing beyond toku stuff without CG. Hell, even with CG it's not cheap or convinving to animate giant robots. As a result, no big Western filmmaker decided to make giant robot stuff.
The most effective medium would be animation. Much cheaper and easier to animate robots than build one for a film pre-CG, and Mecha is, at its core, about watching big robots beat the crap out of each other. Non-visual media ain't gonna cut it. Hence, in Japan in the 80s when mecha got big, where anime was more varied than in the West, there was an opening for Super Robot and Real Robot alike, hence the explosion there.
In the West, when animated Mecha was trying to get going in the '80s only kids watched it, as animated works have been predomianntly seen as children's stuff due to the success and proliferation of kids cartoons due to Disney. This, added with difficulty of making Mecha films as said before, leads to No well-known mecha stuff=No big cultural influence or momentum to "catch on".
Tl;Dr, In the West, film is best way for pop culture to catch on, but mecha ain't easy to film. Animation much better idea. In Japan, anime pop culture is its own thing, so Mecha in anime allows Mecha to gain momentum and catch on.

(Note: The example of Pacific Rim didn't allow Mecha to catch on in the West as by that time, cinema isn't the dominant cultural influencer, outstripping all the other mediums combined, just one of the bigger ones, bigger than other media individually (maybe?) but not bigger than all the others)
>>
>>15455568
Why are you posting actual, rational information on a shitposting board?
>>
>>15455570
Well, OP's question has been on my mind for a while, so I decided to articulate what I could piece together.

And also because I can't abide by faulty conclusions based on faulty assumptions.(yeah I don't know why I'm still on /m/)
>>
>>15455579
>yeah I don't know why I'm still on /m/

Why indeed. You'd be better off in a blog or something
>>
>>15439345
They tried, but americanized mecha were far too boring to catch anyone's attention.
>>
Whats up with this meme that westerners are to unimaginative and obsessed with realism. Have you ever read western sci-fi you meme loving fucks, plenty of classics in the genre are more fantastical then mecha anime.
>>
>>15455618
/m/orons can't into looking beyond their fat, unimaginative selves after all
>>
>>15455618
Also, I think >>15439979 hit the nail on the head. It's too easy to just sit and believe "muh creative anime, all amerifat is dumb" than to go and gather evidence and think critically about this kind of shit

>>15455590
Blogs aren't necessarily better for proper discourse, but it'll probably be healthier for my blood pressure for sure
>>
>>15455618
>westerners are to unimaginative and obsessed with realism
But that's not totally wrong.
There's a fucking reason why moviemakers love to put a dark/sand colored filter over every fucking movies they shit out. Because being colorful is an obvious sign of childishness.
>>
>>15455649
There's always letterboxd, MUBI, BFI, Criterion, Kino International, and whatever Japanese distributor that distributes quality /m/ stuff
>>
>>15440005
Neo-/m/ purely exist to be contrarian, anon
>>
>>15455669
>new gundam series announced
>"it sucks"
>another new gundam series is announced
>old one was better
>>
File: Paul Verhoeven's Robocop.jpg (246KB, 945x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Paul Verhoeven's Robocop.jpg
246KB, 945x1500px
>>15455657
Robocop has a Silver and Blue aesthetic.
The Terminator has Black and Red with Shades of Blue.
Blade Runner heavily relies on its neonlit noir aesthetic.
Predator relies on Black and Green alot.
Alien absolutely relies on Black and White lighting despite being a color film.
>>
>>15455657
Let us all wait for a Wes Anderson Mecha spectacular. Featuring the colors yellow, orange, another shade of yellow, avant green and pastel orange.
>>
>>15439394
>>15439583
The short answer, Mechwarrior. The word "mech" is under copyright as I understand it and everybody thinks of those gigantic lumbering things when they think giant robots for the west.
>>
>>15439675
I'm going to assume your F14 comment is based off some random anecdote you've heard and as such I'm going to ask for a source, because what really kicked off the F14 was the cancelled F111B.

The F111 Ardvark predates the Tomcat as a swing wing warbird, and the B model was the original deployment platform for the AIM-54 Phoenix and related AWG9 radar technologies. Those two, the plane and armaments, were kinda tied together to the hip, the 'vark was at the time the only bird big and strong enough to haul ordinance that huge (or more accurately, the 54 was designed specifically to be launched from the 111, which itself was a big-ass interceptor and not some rinkydink air superiority dogfighter; remember that the 54 is FUCKING MASSIVE and not just any plane could carry it as such), and the Tomcat essentially derived itself from design patterns utilized by the 'vark so that it too could serve the mission of "carry Phoenix missiles and point them at far off Soviet bombers intent on harassing the carrier group via antiship missile spam."
>>
It never did but when they do it right, they reach new heights.
>>
>>15451197
This.

As for Gundam, UC died in its infancy because 9/11 got 0079 pulled off the air and Zeta/ZZ were in localization hell for ages.
>>
>>15439640
You meant to say yes, correct?
>>
>>15443360
Good taste.
>>
>>15443360
>>15458099
Whatever happened to that new anime they announced anyway?
>>
>>15440801
same with human, a head and a body, fuck to make babies.
>>
>>15439345
They don't use capes.
>>
File: TOY-RBT-0967.jpg (47KB, 485x600px) Image search: [Google]
TOY-RBT-0967.jpg
47KB, 485x600px
>>15458769
They can though
>>
>>15439345
Japanese Companies didn't know how to market their product in the West despite sci-fi being heavy in mecha. They focus too much on the giant robot to advertise kits and little on the person who pilot and made all those kills happen. I'm sure that if Gundam was marketed more as a simple war story set in space and promoted the human cast then it would've gotten attention.

The West does love mecha and giant robots, but it's just that the west treat the mech more like an individual and not a tool of war. The Iron Giant is a perfect example of this with the robot treated more like a misunderstood human being that doesn't know it's own strength.
>>
File: fallout.gif (180KB, 640x489px) Image search: [Google]
fallout.gif
180KB, 640x489px
>>15439345
The West went for the smaller end of the scale, and likes power armor. I don't think it's necessarily a question of realism; the most popular modern example I can think of is Iron Man, and that's just space magic too.
>>
File: ME3_Geth_Prime.png (636KB, 479x1045px) Image search: [Google]
ME3_Geth_Prime.png
636KB, 479x1045px
Hey thread, what are some of your favorite western roberts? I like the geth prime.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.