[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

File: gundam-build-fighters-5681-1.jpg (80KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gundam-build-fighters-5681-1.jpg
80KB, 800x450px
What went so right?
>>
It was fun, didn't take itself too seriously and pandered to every demographic.
>>
It was a cute show that did fanservice right and didn't overstay its welcome.
>>
>>15427610
bois
>>
>>15427610
It was tournament shounen with really well-animated fights and a good sense of positivity running through it.
>>
>>15427610
Sunrise took it seriously. They did a good job of balancing the product advertisement with lighthearted fun. They knew people would have hated it with a passion if it didn't deliver on the entertainment value, regardless if they liked the models or not. Just look at Tri. It's a pretty mediocre anime all around. GBF could have easily just been that if Sunrise hadn't put in the effort.
>>
File: 1384777462317.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1384777462317.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>15427610

Aside from what most people said it managed to not anger /m/ if the show wasn't handled competently it could've offended /m/ just as bad as Try
>>
File: 1472103433066.jpg (93KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
1472103433066.jpg
93KB, 500x308px
>>15427610
The characters feel like they legitimately love Gundam, not just sloppy references. Being Gundam fans is part (or notable not) of who they are, it makes them endearing and makes the whole show pretty natural. They also bond over it which takes time which we see happen, not just we fought once now we are friends.

Fights never take precedent over story or characters. Many times early on the fight is barely half the second half. Sometimes the opponent doesn't get any focus cause that isn't important, sometimes they aren't even antagonistic cause wasting time on that stuff and not characters that matter is just that a waste. They also varied up the fights, not just in event but in ways to serve the narrative. Every fight felt like it was fitting what they were attempting to show in the moment, not just well you have to fight now so here is gundam reference location 4.

It managed to be a show that could appeal to a young audience with minimal gundam knowledge to long time fans. It is something that is rarely if ever is accomplished.
>>
File: 1491522157785[1].jpg (559KB, 684x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1491522157785[1].jpg
559KB, 684x5000px
>>15427610
This thread really sums it up >>15399441 (an anon watching it for the first time, and their reaction to it)

There's also the fact that the staff loved the show and it really shows.
>>
>>15427610
Literally nothing.
>>
File: Aila.Jyrkiäinen.full.1642109.jpg (1MB, 1447x2047px) Image search: [Google]
Aila.Jyrkiäinen.full.1642109.jpg
1MB, 1447x2047px
Aila
>>
>>15427739
You missed something. There were parts that referenced how fun the hobby is... something crucial that was almost completely cut out in Try.
>>
>>15427798
pic related is how I feel when Legion becomes doomed in Titanfall 2

>Just hang in a little longer
>Okay, partner?
>SMART CORE ACTIVATED
>BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPP
>>
>>15427610
Fucking everything excpt the G Knuckle
>>
File: 1420580633061.jpg (359KB, 991x595px) Image search: [Google]
1420580633061.jpg
359KB, 991x595px
>>15429387
Purest love
>>
>>15427610
It avoided traps that this kind of show can easily fall into (and Try did).

>good use of side characters
>show gunpla battle as a sport/hobby and not serious business that everything in the world has to revolve around
>opponents also have reasons to win and aren't treated as bad guys just because they're facing off against the heroes (except Renatos but they took the hobby way too seriously so it was their own fault)
>a few unfortunate knuckles aside, mostly avoids one sided curbstomp fights
>fun, lighthearted, but understands just because you're a show for kids doesn't mean you can afford sloppy writing because "kids are dumb so they'll eat any shit"

Add in a lot of Gundam injokes and references, some great fights and top tier waifus, and there you have it.
>>
>>15427798
>When you're such a humongous nerd you bring a hunk of plastic to life and give it a fighting spirit.
>>
>>15430251
>except Renatos but they took the hobby way too seriously so it was their own fault
No it wasn't, fuck off Meijin.
>>
>gunpla carnival showing characters from various shows living happy lives.
>no haremshit.
>hot blooded action in the right places.
>good fights.
>good cast.
>>
>>15430405
>implying they wouldn't be all over the particle-whore hax shit in Try if they'd been in that one instead
you only like them because you're a tacticool gruntfag anon, admit it
>>
File: Tatsuyayukitry.png (1MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Tatsuyayukitry.png
1MB, 1360x768px
I think Yuuki is the best example of why BF worked and Try didn't.

In BF he was a nice pretty normal guy who put on an act to inspire people. He was always a rival but that doesn't mean he was a bad person, he acts like a human only being Meijin when he needs to be and just wanted people to love gunpla.

In Try he is no longer Yuuki, that character is dead and only Meijin remains. He is only a bombastic joke even when only Lady is around. It is like they didn't even understand the character.

In BF he was a character, in Try he was a cardboard cutout that went YAY GUNPLA, PLAY GUNPLA
>>
>>15430436

During Tryon 3 combination, I had expected Yuuki to be pleasantly surprised, or even just plain surprised, but his restrained, lukewarm response was beyond disappointing, as though he was a hair's breath away from blurting "not muh gunpla", the exact opposite of his dialogue.

I thought the Meijin was supposed to enjoy the building as well as the battling? Surely a massively modified combiner would be something worth that, at least?
>>
the god tier openings desu, though try had good openings too
>>
>>15430567
This. It doesn't make sense for him to be so meh about it when he loves gunpla so much and must've seen tons of weird customs along the years.

But it makes sense. He was an "old guy", and Try was very much against any character older than 18.
>>
>>15430633
Meijin just wasn't the same for me when he went full gundam with her kits despite being a char. What a cop out.
>>
>>15429424
>You missed something. There were parts that referenced how fun the hobby is... something crucial that was almost completely cut out in Try.
It's almost like the Try anime is reflecting how the production team considers the series as just a chore. The team making try didn't love what they do, so neither does the characters. An anime called "Try", ended up not trying.
>>
>>15430633
Please, Felini's not a shota either, and he's down with the wacky stuff. Yuuki has no excuse, in universe or meta.
>>
Try was superior.
>>
>>15427610
Mao.
>>
You know it really feels weird to say BF was the one that didn't take itself too seriously when it had shit like mind control helmets and mafias and shit but here we ware. I don't know how they managed to pull it off and then fuck up so hard in try but here we are
>>
>>15430694

Felleni made a Wing Zero that turned into a motorcycle

I don't even know where he got the parts to do it
>>
File: shin_bk.jpg (48KB, 600x343px) Image search: [Google]
shin_bk.jpg
48KB, 600x343px
>>15431087
It doesn't help that they gutted out the sense of absurdity that's been present from Plamo Kyoshiro to BF.
>>
>>15430436
>It is like they didn't even understand the character.

both gbf and try were by yousuke kuroda, and according to wikipedia he actually wrote all episodes, so I think this might not be a case of not understanding the character, but executive meddling, kinda like between 00 seasons, which were also by him.
>>
>>15427610
So wait, this show is actually good? I just dismissed it at the time as Angelic Layer w/ Gundams.

Which, now thinking about it, would make sense if it's good because Angelic Layer was awesome as I recall.
>>
>>15431095

The Meteor Hopper is actually a full fledge motorcycle for Fenice to ride on, Fenice can't transform anymore due to well ... reasons

>>15431146

Either that, or someone argued that the director for Try is too green (first TV series director role) to rein in Kuroda and the problems "associated with Kuroda" became more obvious
>>
>>15427610
To be the one billionth responder, It didn't take itself too seriously, it didn't get dragged down by the meta plot with Reiji and allowed itself to have fun, the characters were great and endearing, even the villains, and it never gets bogged down, and, probably most impressively, apart from that one Gunpla Mafia guy (Hey, why haven't we expanded that idea yet?), everyone gets a happy ending, even the guys you're supposed to root against for the entire story. And it's cute. It finds a single narrative focus, shows different perspectives of said narrative, and shows how each character lives and grows into the narrative. Said narrative of course being Gunpla. And when it absolutely needed to, it had great action scenes. Honestly, there weren't really any real mistakes made with this show.
>>
>>15431167

Semantics. Point is GUNPLA MOTORCYCLE! He wanted his WZ to have a boss ride and he made one for no other reason than that. It was almost disappointing to see it come back as just a jet
>>
>>15431167
Fenice is asymmetrical. Also it'll probably be hard to have three forms.
>>
>>15431178
Fenice is a Wing Gundam 01, not a Wing Zero.
>>
>>15431167
writers don't make those fight scenes expressing the joy of robot fights
>>
>>15431146
He got Flanderized
>>
>>15431095

Given the wheel, and it being Gundam Vahalla, clearly, the GBF universe has at some point or another sold model kits of the Adrastea motorcycle battleship, maybe in the 1/1700 line.

Another point in favor of GBF.
>>
File: 1483482891980.jpg (77KB, 631x405px) Image search: [Google]
1483482891980.jpg
77KB, 631x405px
>>15429617
Is that you Azidd?
tfw dumbcore activates
>>
>>15431146
>executive meddling
Probably. We already know he was against the 3v3 idea, claiming that he felt he wouldn't be able to develop so many characters in a satisfying way with what little time the show had. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the problems with the show were due to execs forcing him to do shit he wasn't comfortable with.
>>
I'm rewatching it right now and damn it always gets me back to building gunpla. Why the fuck did TRY have to be so shit. It just didn't have the same spirit.
>>
>>15427610
I like how it subverts toy anime cliche
>Edgy character who is forced to get into the tournament or else she/someone will die/pay some huge consequences
>Instead of getting all tragic and dramatic, the mc just told her to fucking quit
>It works
>>
>>15432854
Here's another one:
>Someone who plays the toy only to gain fame and fortune
>MC spout some bullshit like "but you got here because of your love of [insert toy's name here]!"
>Instead of getting teared up and finally playing for real, she revealed she was cheating all along and had no intention of playing fair even until the end and she lost shamelessly
>>
>>15427610
>RG fist spam
>MUH QUALITY PARTS
>dumb unnaturally stupid brainwashing with Aila and Meijin plot TWIST
>way too much literally "forced" drama for Beyblades: Gundam in its final arc
>nowhere near enough OCs (Try at least gets this right)
Fun show, but definitely flawed though.
>>
>>15432899

>nowhere near enough OCs

What?

The members of the cast who were walking, talking references to previous Gundam characters were basically limited to Ral and a handful of cameos.
>>
>>15432908
Maybe he meant the Gundams.
It was an anniversary show, there's no point if you're using OC robots.
>>
>>15427798
I like how Fenice starts off as literally just a repainted Wing Gundam but as Fellini grows older and battles more he actually makes it into a real custom with it's own unique weapons. At least that's what seems to be implied, to me.
>>
>>15432915

I mean, it's not like the vast majority of models on offer weren't differentiated from their basis in one way or another.

Just about the only exception to that rule that I can recall, outside of maybe Kirara's Gerbera Tetra, is the Qubeley Papillon.
>>
>>15427610
GBF didn't have the pussy-ass Damage Levels that Try did. They weren't afraid of trashing the merchandise as long as it went out like a fuckin' champ. Fuck, Abigorbine fucking when Bandai?
>>
>>15432247
kuroda loves gundam, and imo he has good ideas and writing, but executive meddling always end up screwing what he has going on (00s2 and try). I'd love to see what he'd come up with with complete creative freedom.
>>
File: 89647536.png (439KB, 588x526px) Image search: [Google]
89647536.png
439KB, 588x526px
It gave rise to Beargguy-san macros
>>
>>15432978
Bandai said never because they wouldn't be able to sell enough regular hg abigors to make a new mold worth it.
>>
>>15433486
To be fair GBF conception is the result of executive meddling and market research its not exactly a auteur work but a shameless toy commercial it just so happens to have talent behind it and wasn't lazily done. 00's plot and characters were all stupid and all S2 did was revel in its stupidity and dropped the pretense of a "serious" story in the first season, really the only thing to get from it as a whole is the Kuroda is a big fan of Asimov.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.