[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is a Newtype?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 16

File: sakiyomi2.jpg (31KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
sakiyomi2.jpg
31KB, 350x263px
What exactly is a Newtype?
>>
A person with neurological traits that allow them to function better in space.

Those traits being empathy and violent psychosis.
>>
Go watch Gundam X
>>
File: 1440530068745.jpg (39KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1440530068745.jpg
39KB, 510x346px
>>15420267
It's like a newhalf but a newtype
>>
File: Gigantis.jpg (805KB, 1446x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Gigantis.jpg
805KB, 1446x1050px
People subjected to Ide's psychic warnings, in turn developing psychic abilities themselves.
>>
>>15420286
what about the using ghosts as energy and seeing beyond time thing though
>>
>>15420267
It's when you're so autistic that it gives you psychic powers
>>
>>15420267
>What exactly is a Newtype?

The bane of the Gundam franchise.

Seriously speaking, a Newtype is just a human being that has an innate understading of other human beings. And that innate understanding can overcome the intrinsic distrust that humans have of one another. And by overcoming that distrust which is the basis of conflict you can achieve a harmonious and war free society.

You find this concept in one form or another in most of Tomino's shows from the eighties. Gundam and not Gundam shows.
>>
>>15420267
Space Psychics with heightened relfexes or other similar traits. Newer ones seem to be Space Magicians though.
>>
>>15420378
>Yet Newtypes caused every single conflict since the OYW
Really makes you think
>>
>>15420378
>>15420385
Understanding someone doesn't mean you agree with what they are doing, nor to you agree with their way of thought. Newtypes should be more willing to kill since they can sense if someone is bad or not far easier, and thus have no need for "regretting" to accidentally kill a good person on the other side.
>>
A fancy word for telepath.
>>
>>15420267
No way you actually watched the show and didn't get it, so I must ask, why do you care if you don't watch gundam
>>
>>15420267

A jedi, basically.
>>
>>15420396

Why is it the only show that seems to understand that is M fucking 3
>>
space wizard
>>
>>15420396

That would actually be a great gimmick for a show. The MC is a psychic, and while a lot of the screentime follows him the gimmick is that every episode is ax character study of an enemy soldier or ace he will face, knowing in advance that he will end up being judged on the battlefield. If he is a good enough person the MC will spare him. If not, he dies. And the question is which side of the line the fall on.

The obvious diversions from the formula, of course, are the good man he is forced to kill anyway, and the true villian that he cant manage to take down.
>>
>>15420688
I'll never understand how this managed to have decent characterization without bullshit while being writen by Okadaperhaps she isn't the one who ends up fucking whatever she works?
>>
>>15420267
Souls no longer bound by gravity.
>>
my REEEEE comment got deleted

interesting
>>
>>15421045
Yet it was newtypes that were always concerned with the fate of the Earth, despite a lot of them being born in space and having never lived there themselves. Newtypes are souls who are ESPECIALLY bound by gravity.
>>
>>15420267
Weaponized autism
>>
>>15421184
They care for the fate of Earth because they can see our little blue speck as what it is, instead of concerning themselves with conflicts and politics. By the end of CCA, it wasn't about the Federation or Zeon, it was about two Newtypes arguing different solutions for the exact same problem.
It's this detachment that prompts this debate, two individuals with clashing philosophies (Humans can be better vs Humans are shit)
>>
>>15420267
kono pressure...
>>
>>15420267
An ESPer specializing in precognition and empathic communication.
>>
>>15420286
The psychosis is mainly in cyber-newtypes though
>>
>>15421322
>kono pressure...
you might say, it's the terror of knowing what the world is about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I
>>
File: Freddie2.jpg (25KB, 479x359px) Image search: [Google]
Freddie2.jpg
25KB, 479x359px
>>15421466
Mai nigga.
>>
>>15420267
A jedi ripoff.
>>
A human evolutionary development that grants enhanced spatial awareness and mental processing capability for life in space, generally signified by a sense almost like precognition and an innate ability to "understand" others.

Unfortunately, it also makes the person develop behavioral symptoms similar to autism since their thought processes are so different from those of Oldtypes.
>>
>>15420267
Baby, don't hurt me
>>
File: char - manly tears.png (269KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
char - manly tears.png
269KB, 640x481px
>>15421466
>>
>>15420733
Deathnote M edition
>>
>>15420267
Autistictype.
>>
>>15420378
Bane?!
>>
>>15421039

I understand a lot of Evol was Kawamori too. A lot of the time part of the problems, especially in dealing with franchises is lack of freedom to do things.
>>
>>15420308
None of that is real, it's part of a newtype's psychological coping mechanism for living in the environment of outer-space. A mental disorder with a side-effect that had a positive influence on humans living in outer-space, thus selected for. Sort of how like african's adapted for sickle cell blood to combat malaria.
>>
Newtypes are psychics, not in the quack way but in the fantasy way.

Some are strong and can make projections or out right mentally attack you. most are weak having only slightly enhanced senses and spacial awareness. Most if not all can identify one another through a 6th sense, stronger newtypes have a stronger presence and can influence the emotional state of weaker ones. Most have a tendency to gleam a persons emotional state or intentions through their own 6th sense with varying degrees of accuracy. A newtypes presences may persist after death, this is generally seen in only notably strong newtypes. You can bind a newtypes soul to a machine, however this has only happened once to my knowledge

Newtypes can be born any where and can be artificially created, however artificial new types tend to have mental stability issues and rapidly fluctuating mental states, along side their own newtype ability's. Some humans are able to give off a projection or alert new types of their presence, this has been so far only seen through exceptionally skilled or dedicated solders being Yazan and Dozl. Normal humans can also be perceptive to newtypes and even mentally communicate with them under specific situations, generally through continued contact and strong emotions

Newtypes can control and manipulate technology specifically created for them with varying degrees of success and skill.

Not all newtypes are made equally
>>
A jedi without telekinesis.
>>
space autism
>>
File: newtype.png (307KB, 448x609px) Image search: [Google]
newtype.png
307KB, 448x609px
>>
>>15422618
>can be artificially created,
the translation being fucking retarded with cybershit doesn't make Enhanced Humans newtypes
>>
>>15422618
I've always interpreted Newtype ghosts as the thoughts of a dying Newtype being imprinted on the other Newtypes around them. Like a Newtype that never met Lalah would just be like "oh hey there's the soul of a dead girl here", but Amuro and Char have Lalahs mind physically imprinted on them as they were Newtyping with her when she died, so they keep experiencing her.

It's all interpretation but I've never seen the Newtype "ghosts" as entities themselves that exist independently.
>>
>>15420267

They are empaths who can sense the desires and intentions of others. This was originally lauded as the future of humanity, as it meant that human beings might not be able to truly trust and understand each other on a more intimate level by being able to directly connect mind to mind.

However, humanity perverted this newfound ability, and abused the Newtype's capacity to percieve desire and intent as a means of being able to have a sort of precognition in battle. However, this left Newtypes who fought as completely destroyed wrecks of people, as they were forced to use this power, which gave them intimate empathic connection to people, as a means to destroy same-said people.

Gundam is a show about how war corrupts and perverts everything towards the purpose of destruction. Even wonderous things which would normally be harbingers of prosperity and harmony become perverse tools of mass genocide.

Colonies, a technological marvel which frees humans to explore space, and live and reproduce freely having broken free of the limitations of earth's surface, are corrupted and re purposed into one of the most devastating weapons ever constructed with the colony drops.

Mobile suits, originally a tool used for the exploration of space, and space-side industry, was re purposed into ever more terrifying murder machines.
>>
>>15423602

*might now
>>
>>15423602
Quality post.
>>
>>15423602
Are you the logical savior of /m/ ?
>>
>>15420308
That's the reason why zeta ruined new types which were perfect in 0079
>>
>>15424445
>implying
So you're ignoring all the long psychedelic dimension scenes beyond time and space that happen between Amuro and Lalah?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>15423575
so much this
I think I've heard more recent newtype ghosts specifically go "boooo I'm a dead person's spirit" but it really seemed that the idea was like burn-in on a monitor (or retinas).

Like how Char "not feeling Lalah's ghost" as he left the Earth sphere seemed to coincide with him literally moving beyond his old life in the older stuff.

Also if you want to get what seems to be a better idea of what newtyping is (via Tomino circa the 80s) check out the novels. They're like how Dune is a lot easier to grok prescience if you read the book instead of checking out the visual media versions.
>>
>>15423575
>>15424720
How did F.F experienced Amuro's, Char's and Lalah's ghosts?
>>
>>15424779
Unicorn is bullshit fanfiction. Doesn't fit into the 0079>Zeta>CCA arc.
>>
File: zeta-gundam.jpg (23KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
zeta-gundam.jpg
23KB, 500x375px
>>15421466
Watching some good friends scream let me out
>>
>>15424445
I liked what Zeta did with newtypes
It put them into a negative light and showed that it was not just happy understanding connections
>>
>>15420733
>MC reads enemy's mind
>sees that they've killed a ton of people and thus kills them
>later learns the person they killed only killed murderers, child abusers, human traffickers, etc and saved countless lives by killing those fuckers
>>
>>15424897
But it also happened in ZZ, Haman felt the presence of many people she and Judau hadn't meet, like Four and Lalah.
>>
File: 1479633805419.jpg (51KB, 564x685px) Image search: [Google]
1479633805419.jpg
51KB, 564x685px
>>15425166
It's like an infection, they spread around from one person to another. Also can be looked at like haveing multiple personalities, or more than one soul in a body that transfer from one to another.
>>
>>15425225
like the Ring virus
>>
>>15420267
a derogatory slang term for someone who is a slight cut above a high functioning autist.
>>
>>15422332
Don't hurt me.
>>
>>15420267
general new age awakening seen through a japanese idea of psychic powers as "esp", hence "espers"
>>
I think Gundam X still has my favorite interpretation of the 'newtype' idea that builds on the classic understanding of the term as seen in UC. I also really like how it reminds the audience that the belief in Newtypes originaly started as an ideological belief system rather than a tangible magical jedi power source, and the rise of espers in combat caused the term to be co-opted into what it's commonly understood as now. I think it dovetails neatly into how in Gundam ideals and morals can easily be distorted and misunderstood in human society especially in times of war
>>
File: 8976.png (288KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
8976.png
288KB, 640x480px
I always assumed it was a half understood neurological thing. Like some people have it in their DNA, others don't. Whenever they make cyber-newtypes and try to synthesize the result it seems to have mixed to bad results.

It's like an extra sense some people are awakened to when they go to space. It lets them have quicker reaction times, sense other people who are newtypes, and generally allows them to have a heightened sense of multitasking and being able to handle lots of micro-management type of shit most people can't or have to struggle hard to obtain the same results.

I personally don't like it at all. I'm still mad that Charr originally wasn't a newtype and later was made to be one. I thought he was pretty badass being a normal guy wow as just naturally good. It reminds me of Star Wars when anyone exceptional isn't just good, they are "force sensitive" or some bullshit.
>>
>>15425166
>But it also happened in ZZ, Haman felt the presence of many people she and Judau hadn't meet, like Four and Lalah.

ZZ goes way beyond that. I mean there is one specific scene where Judau basically sees Haman's dark soul personified as a monster.
It goes way beyond mind reading or mind sensing.
>>
>>15427438
Char is an incredibly weak newtype, in fact one of the weakest in Universal Century.

The reason he was so adept at fighting and strategizing was because he got gud through his own will and intelligence. His newtype abilities had little to do with it; I think his newtype connection was more of a thematic thing highlighting his familial past and
his motivations.
>>
>>15427636

That's cool then. I'm happy Ramba Ral never had that newtype crap thrown at him.
>>
>been having constant headaches for the past three month

Oh shit, it's finally happening, /m/.

I'll see you oldtype faggots later.
>>
>>15427686
It's just a brain tumor.
>>
>>15427678
>THIS IS NO NEWTYPE BOY, NO NEWTYPE
>>
A Char
>>
>>15420267
Mutants. They literally weren't anything special, but the desire of man to feel speacil caused them to look at Newtypes as the future. They began to idolize Newtypes, actively modifying people to be more like these beings. When mutants were born with similar, but different powers, they were branded as weaklings and failures.
Newtypes are just mutants. Nothing more and nothing less. They will constantly appear, but they will never replace humanity.
>>
File: latest.jpg (333KB, 575x1135px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
333KB, 575x1135px
>>15420308
See >>15420297
Explains everything from Camille's Ideon Sword to Judau's Ideon Cannon to all the time-bending, ghost flinging stuff in Unicorn.

Neo Zeong is also a miniature replica of Ideon.
>>
>>15429131
>Neo Zeong is also a miniature replica of Ideon.
That's because Fukui believes psycoframe is ideonite and invokes the ide or something
>>
>>15420267
A miserable pile of space autism
>>
>>15427686
Save the world, friend. The fate of the war is in your hands.
>>
>>15420267

Force wielders without lightsabers and telekinesus and Force shit

>til Quatre almost ended as Anakin Skywalker, and Char became REVAN
>>
>>15420267
Pre-
Traumatic
Stress
Disorder
>>
>>15430060
Yeah, whenever I try and describe newtypes to someone, I resort to "think of Jedi, now take away the lightsaber and the force powers that influence the physical world." Newtypes have got the precognition, the light mind reading, can cause existential terror in their opponents (particularly other newtypes), Judau fucking astralprojects his form be, and I'm pretty sure they've got a passive force meditation type buff for everyone on their team. Newtypes just seem to help their side fight and coordinate better.
>>
File: 1460344954025.gif (2MB, 596x540px) Image search: [Google]
1460344954025.gif
2MB, 596x540px
>>15430132

>Judau

I can't take anything in ZZ seriously. Like is blows my mind the show is still considered canon. I don't dislike it but so much zanyness is going on I just assumed Tomino made ZZ as like a big "fuck you" because he didn't want to do a sequel to Zeta and tried to make everything as awful as he could without going too far.

Like I don't hate the show I think ZZ is hilarious to laugh at and it's a lot of fun. However, to be considered a canonical build on Zeta and the U.C. timeline I personally feel the very idea is a joke.

I'm not saying your wrong or anything but Judau doing a thing as a newtype that I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) any other newtype has really done, makes me wonder if it's worth including in their powers.
>>
>>15430060
>>15430625

Anon you forgot

>Older Judau and Duo ended up as Obi-Wan expy in their own Light novels as Crossbone and Frozen Teardrop, both still powerful than the main cast
>>
>>15427364
No more
>>
File: d.png (80KB, 460x289px) Image search: [Google]
d.png
80KB, 460x289px
>>15429131
>miniature
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.