[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does anime look like shit now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (189KB, 1872x1090px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189KB, 1872x1090px
What went wrong?
>>
>>15419457
America became a prominent Anime market and design was tailored for american tastes
>>
>>15419457
Detail is expensive.
>>
>>15419457
Otaking stop i gave you your 15 dollars for the month
>>
your definitions of "good" and "shit" are based on what suits genres you like. sf anime always prioritized stylized realism because the drive to make it was based on animation being cheaper than rubber suits and elaborate sets, but now 3dcg is even cheaper than that.
meanwhile cgdct spends the same amount of money and effort airbrushing OFF details and painstakingly recreating the illusion of inexact sketches across dozens of artists just to evoke the vagueness of idealized schoolday memories.

also, every time you compare dyrl or cca or bgc to a late-night tv series, it's like comparing kara no kyokai or redline to episode #387 of ranma
>>
>>15419478
This is the worst possible answer.
>>15419457
Most of the best-animated 80s anime isn't even the stuff with a lot of layers of shading. Akira wasn't that shaded and it had great motion.
>>
>>15419531
>animation
Only autistics care. Akira looks like shit
>>
>>15419536
>implying otaking shading shit isn't the highest form of autism
>>
Art is ever changing, suiting to the era it is in.

Also, probably because of digital animation.
>>
Everything from now on will look like Kemono Friends
>>
>>15419457
you are being too jaded

the most successful show last season was MMD CGI
>>
>>15419546
digital just makes shading-gasms easier. they were phased out to begin with because of paint expenses more than anything, and digital "paint" is free and perfectly replicable.
>>
>>15419457
otaking go
>>
It is'nt that simple, I prefer the hyper detailed 80s style as well. But there is still really good looking anime in other styles, and Ideon tv is'nt exactly pretty to look at. What has really happened was that none of the talent is going to sci fi and mecha anime anymore for what ever reason.Also, the current business model in Japan makes it hard to pour decent coin in into a show, so only a few can be high quality. During the economic boom in the 80s you had more money that people could risk without loosing their business due to one flop. Now the goal has to be produce cheap pandering stuff for otaku and hope to make a small profit, and lolis are cheaper and easier to draw then hyper shaded mecha, and have an obsessive fan awe who will buy it up despite the quality.
>>
>>15419457
Are you retarded? Anime looks better than ever now. How can you seriously look at some outdated cartoon for old men and think it looks anywhere near as good as a modern production? Are your rose tinted glasses just that thick?
>>
File: IMG_0335.png (438KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0335.png
438KB, 1280x720px
>>15420558
For example: compare this>>15420558
Standard mecha anime tv series with decent budget>>15420558
>>
File: IMG_0334.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0334.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>15420590
Don't be a moron and watch some 80s anime first https://youtu.be/d1MlXmNSL7s

>>15420594
To this, essentially a high budget modern ova. It does'nt have what made 80s anime great, but it is really impressive.
>>
>>15420622
https://youtu.be/udDIkl6z8X0

Modern anime can look nice, really nice. But mecha does'nt get treated well.>>15420622
>>
>>15419457
Partially delusion on your part, but more because they don't have all the money in the world to waste on making cartoons look good anymore, especially since that is no guarantee of extra sales.
>>
>>15419558
I don't watch current anime anymore.

Do you have any idea how many anime shows were made in the last 40 years? Some of them are even GOOD! No need to visit /a/ ever again.
>>
>>15420558
Yeah as a plotfag the anime of today is frankly insulting to my intelligence.

I don't mind pandering but mix it in with a good story and interesting characters!
>>
>>15419457
That image looks like shit.
>LOOK AT MY OBLONG HEAD
>AND GREEN SHADOWS
>SHAAAAAAAAAADING
>>
>>15420727
The only real solution is the international market finding a way to make the sales of the few high quality shows left outdo the sales of otaku pandering shows to a point where making high quality shows is more financially viable than making cheap pandering shows. Is this possible ? Doubtful.
>>
>>15420727
Anime has always had shit story and characters m8, don't know what you're on.

>>15420850
>high quality shows left
You mean none of them? Nice delusion there, thinking that an international market would have any better taste than the nips, by the way.
>>
>>15420712
THIS

I've been watching 70's, 80's, and 90's series the last 3 years. I only occasionally watch post-2000's stuff if I think they're worth the watch. I finished Gigantic Formula back in February.
>>
>>15419457
Just saw this. I wish they adapted more of it. That gold mech design was god tier.
>>
There's trash in every decade and gems to be found. Stop compressing 40 years of anime history into only what you like and then judging the last 17 years by that fictional standard.
>>
>>15419531
I'll take motion over shading as well (see Ghibli).
>>
>>15419457
>What went wrong?

Did anything really go wrong ?
>>
File: 1488406823146.jpg (41KB, 409x351px) Image search: [Google]
1488406823146.jpg
41KB, 409x351px
Digital processing and coloring set shit back a long way because nearly every anime studio had no idea what they were doing with it when they first got their hands on it in the late 90s/early 2000s.
>>
>>15425109
>Digital processing and coloring set shit back a long way because nearly every anime studio had no idea what they were doing with it when they first got their hands on it in the late 90s/early 2000s.

We're almost 2 decades into the XXI st century, I'd say the anime studios had plenty of time to adapt to the new tools of the trade don't you think ? In my view it's stupid to blame the tools, when anime that is grogeous looking is still being made. Few and far between but it's still there. It might be better to criticise the animators or the been counters that look at technology as a way to reduce the expenses so much that you end up with animation that looks like crap. And don't tell me that the old days were better because for every once in a lifetime Macross DYRL, Akira or Wings of Honneamise we had tens of shitty drawed animes that infested the airwaves.
>>
>>15419457
>MUH SHADING
>>
>>15419558
>cheap bullshit sold well last season
>nobody should bother striving to do better ever again
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.