[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power Rangers Lost Galaxy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: prlg.jpg (180KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
prlg.jpg
180KB, 1920x1080px
I just finished watching Power Rangers Lost Galaxy. Here's my thoughts on it: (Warning: I've never seen Gingaman.)
(1) It was good!... as long as they bothered to write a coherent plot and use mostly American footage.
(2) Why is the series named after "the lost galaxy"? When they finally get to the lost galaxy, in the last arc before the end of the series, it's strange; Trakeena disappears, a new villain, Captain Mutiny, is suddenly introduced, and the episodes seem to be trying to jam in as much Japanese footage as possible. And when they leave the lost galaxy 8 episodes later, Trakeena immediately kills Mutiny, and the plot returns to exactly where it was before they entered the lost galaxy. ... I know that the Kendrix's actress had to be replaced because she got sick irl, and Kendrix was supposed to know a lot about the book, which opened/closed the portal to the lost galaxy, so I wonder what they had planned to happen if they didn't have to replace her. Does anybody know? It must've been something big if they were willing to name the whole series after it!, right?
(3) How did the Magna Defender escape Mironoi? After Mike fell into the crevice on Mironoi, he took Mike's body, and then what? He stowed away on the Megaship to get off the planet? He went through another portal?
(4) Has any other PR series tried having a different theme from its respective sentai, like how PRLG was space-themed despite how Gingaman was nature-themed? (Btw, insisting setting PRLG in space makes some things seem strange, like how the galactabeasts live on the Terra Venture without anyone noticing or caring, or how the villains so easily get inside it, or how convenient it is that the Lights of Orion are in some cave there, which, again, nobody seems to notice or care about. How big is this colony!?)

So, what does /m/ think about it? How is the original Gingaman?
>>
>>15406574
Been on my to-watch list for a while! Looks like one of the more interesting stand alone-ish seasons.
>>
>>15406574
The sentai that In Space is based on was video game themed, I know that much. Can't remember the name of the sentai though because I'm tired as fuck and too lazy to google.
>>
>>15406574
I think the "Lost Galaxy" was originally meant to be the one with the Quasar Sabers, but they eventually came up with the Lost Galaxy plot and used the name for that.

I actually really liked the mutiny episodes. They were bizarre, but it felt like there was a strong sense of threat. The weakest part of the show to me was the Lights of Orion Quest.

Although Mutiny used Sentai footage more obviously due to the villain hq, those episodes were straight up Sentai translations that often made very little sense in LG's context (like the Lights just happening to be on the colony for no reason) and the actual episodic situations just seemed weak and disconnected from both the setting and the characters.
>>
>>15407859
Megaranger, and it was more Electronics-themed than anything
>>
>>15407873
That's the name. Also you're right, it is more electronics themed, though if I'm remembering right they scouted the rangers in that show via video games or something. I've only ever read a brief summary of what Megaranger was a whiles back, so please don't hurt me too bad if I'm disgustingly wrong.
>>
Was one of the best PR shows: good sentai rip-off, nice team, badass sixth member, nice mechs, hot female villain, good american fights and some original elements+plot twists created by the american writers.

Also, best pink actress of the franchise and the most intense catfight of all time (super model x super lewd evil).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7kFetuJcoo

>>15406574
>So, what does /m/ think about it? How is the original Gingaman?
Overall is good, but less techie and more magic related. Their mentor and mascot are dumb.
>>
>>15407883
Yup, they got recruited through an Arcade game
>>
>>15406574
Lost Galaxy is definitely one of my favorite PR seasons (along with Space and RPM), I also remember it as that one season that was very popular with the girls for whatever reasons. I admit that the actual lost galaxy was kinda disappointing, but back in the day I didn't know Gingaman's plot as I barely just learned about sentai when Space was airing here (US already had Dino Thunder at the time, which I was watching online, thank god for those 40 Mb Real Media rips) so that didn't bother me much.

I haven't seen Gingaman besides an odd episode or two, but I think it's considered to be a fairly ordinary sentai series, neither bad nor exceptional. Lost Galaxy itself was actually quite popular in Japan, there are many claims that it was more popular than Gingaman, but I haven't seen any numbers so no idea whether it's true and how does it stack with other sentai/ranger pairings in that respect.

Quite a few early Power Rangers seasons diverged from the theme of the original sentai, although usually not so drastic; to list a few:

Arguably, MMPR S1 - yeah, dinos, wizards 'n shit, but it didn't really have a theme and threw away most of Zyu's mythology, which was reasonable for a first season of a show without a history.
MMPR S2 had nothing to do with Chinese martial arts as far as I remember, didn't even use the suits.
>Alien Rangers
Zeo had nothing to do with ancient civilizations
In Space has been mentioned, the original was not about space at all even though they had a spaceship. Funny enough, after seeing the designs PR staff thought it would be set in space which is how In Space was born, there's actually quite a long and entertaining read about this on some former PR writer blog if you're interested.
Lost Galaxy, indeed, the most radical departure so far, and basically the last season when PR tried to be consistently original (more or less) every year.
>>
Lightspeed Rescue up to Jungle Fury straightforwardly followed the themes of the originals, although some used slightly different settings

RPM was about as radical as Lost Galaxy, turning a comedic sentai about talking cars from another world and enviromental pollution into a post-apocalyptic Mad Max-style series. Ironically, the setting was somewhat similar to Lost Galaxy with a dome city.
Megafarce had nothing to do with either angels or space pirates, like MMPR S1/S2 it had no real theme besides being somewhat anniversary, a trait it did share with Gokaiger.

The rest so far follows the themes of the respective sentai seasons.
>>
Gingaman is great, cast is solid(mainly red, green and blue;yellow and pink are good too but there's no subplot or recurring themes with them), villains are good and has good balance between plot and episodic stories. Toy handling is some of the best on these shows(its a kobayashi season after all and she's good at this). Itsn a great season that makes you happy after watching it.

Not sure how much lg copied from it as I only watched that when it aired so you might wanna wait a bit before getting into gingaman so it doesnt feel like watching lg again.

>>15407887
>muh serious shows for serious people!
>>
This is that article about In Space and actually other Lynn seasons too
http://deriksmith.livejournal.com/4099.html
>>
>>15406574
This article >>15408242 (which should be a fun read for you) mentions that they had some plot about "Ancient Rangers" involving Kendrix that they even started shooting but had to scrap due to the illness, supposedly that would have tied in to the initial plans about the "lost galaxy". But alas.
>>
>>15407873
>>15407883
>>15407996
>even though they had a spaceship
Interesting! I never would've guessed that the Sentai that PRiS was based on wasn't about space! Why else would you have space-ship zords!?

>>15407996
>popular with the girls
Was it? PRiS was the last PR that I watched all the way through as a kid. I watched the first couple episodes of PRLG as a kid, but then I stopped, because I think I just grew out of it. (I got my mecha fix through Gundam Wing when that began airing a few years later.)

>>15408242
>>15408277
Thanks, I'll read it soon.

>>15407998
>RPM is different too
I'm actually gonna watch RPM next, because "top-10 PR seasons" lists all rate near the top. Interesting that the Sentai season it took footage from is comedic.
>>
>>15408277
Btw, I also remember Kendrix's actress say in an interview/panel at a convention that there was gonna be an episode where Kendrix and Leo sorta fall in love (or something like that), but after the writers killed off Kendrix, they obviously couldn't use that story anymore.

Also, I find out through watching interviews that the actor that played the green ranger and the actress that played Trakeena got married in real life after meeting on the set of PRLG! They're still married now and have 3 kids.
>>
>>15409502
>Why else would you have space-ship zords!?
Well, technically they had a moon base research center that developed and stored some of those, although I haven't actually watched Megaranger past episode 1 or 2 so don't know the details. Still, I think it was more of "spess is cool" than anything else, all of the space technology was limited to the moon and the orbit and you could kinda see it in the designs inspired by shuttles, rockets and moon rovers. All of the PRiS space travel was actually american-made by green-screening the ship model.

This is a recurring thing in Sentai though. Unlike Power Rangers, Super Sentai was always exclusively a force that protected more or less present day or near future Earth, and it produced a few oddities.

Flashman was understandable as the rangers were technically born on Earth (and had reasons to stick around besides driving off enemies), but still there was a space war between good aliens and bad aliens and the rangers just happened to protect Earth during the course of the season because that's where the bad guys were attacking. They left the planet after that.
Timerangers had a timeship and... never actually travelled in time besides being from the future and having the mechs sent from year 3000 to fight in the present.
Gokaiger were space pirates who just happened to protect Earth because the Greatest Treasure was there (and because of scheming AkaRed) and had no special feelings towards the planet whatsoever.
Kyuranger, the current season, is basically Guardians of the Galaxy: the sentai, except after three episodes they get stuck liberating Earth because it has strategic value for the villains.

Not that PR had many exceptions to the rule, but there was at least In Space, Lost Galaxy and arguably RPM (it was technically Earth, but as PR is more continuity-heavy than sentai it was probably the only season outside the common PRverse for setting, production and real world reasons).
>>
>>15406574
I have a question. What was Magna Defender? Was he an alien or a native inhabitant of Mirinoi? Why did he look/dress like a Power Ranger? He had a zord.
>>
>>15411240
I don't think it was actually explained well. What we know is that he was some kind of alien not from Mirinoi who had his homeworld destroyed 3k years ago, losing his son in the process. That's it, and it was basically the same for Gingaman's BullBlack.

An argument could be made that he's some kind of a magical and/or incorporeal being, given the fact that he never de-transformed and could possess people, and the armor was kind of his "body", Alphonse Elric style. But that's just random guessing and I think it's one of those things that were hand-waved away, same as owning a Zord, he was just a cool famous warrior of ye olde millenia who could grow huge and had a giant bull thing.
>>
Probably my personal favorite season. God tier action, villains, budget, sets, and a very solid cast.

>Why is the series named after "the lost galaxy"?

I just figured it was because that was basically the endgame. Their goal terrain was basically in uncharted territory.

>How did the Magna Defender escape Mironoi?

It's been a while, but didn't they show that Magna/Mike became a beam of light and teleported off the planet?

>Has any other PR series tried having a different theme from its respective sentai, like how PRLG was space-themed despite how Gingaman was nature-themed?

Well, MMPR S2 took a Chinese martial arts theme and kept it dinosaur-ish, then only dabbled a little in ninja stuff in S3 for Kakuranger. Zeo was about crystal energies more than technology and pyramids. Super Mega Force was about... I really don't know, but it sure as hell wasn't pirates.
>>
was it one of the better power ranger series in terms of the original footage?
>>
>>15408000
aint nobody want to see the chink version lmao
>>
File: tumblr_mipb3iRASm1s1popdo1_500.gif (677KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mipb3iRASm1s1popdo1_500.gif
677KB, 500x375px
>>15407996
>>15409502
>popular with the girls

Yeah I wonder why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKDxHRC4Onw
>>
>>15406574
>Has any other PR series tried having a different theme from its respective sentai
Haven't seen Ninninger yet, but I'm pretty sure it's not about a gameshow where monsters who are totally not from Japanese lore drop down to Earth to fight humans for a gameshow. They stole Zyuohger's plot, and mistook what that show meant by "game"
>>
>>15409502
>Interesting that the Sentai season it took footage from is comedic.
No, it's a fucking miracle that it worked at all. Though it does kind of suffer from the double-edged sword that is the mad max setting, on the one hand, it's serious tone makes it barely like power rangers, yet later on, when the writers changed and made it more power rangers-like it kinda lost some of its original appeal. RPM is a weird mix bag for me in that regard.
>>
>>15406574
>I've never seen Gingaman
fix that
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.