[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taking out the "Politic" sub-plot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (19KB, 300x180px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
19KB, 300x180px
Ever since Gundam, the "Politic" sub-plot has been a feature in many mecha series, especially real-robot shows. But then we've many, many examples of it going wrong, for two reasons:

- Politic is godammned complicated. People spend years of their life just to learn its basic. Writerboards don't

- Politic is also godammned boring, unless you go into the really, really mundane things.

So, should authors considering not to include any political elements in their future work, if they think they can not handle it? Just focusing on the fighting, the romance, etc

Of course, this approach is not a guarantee way for your typical real-robot show become less of a mess. And, to added to the salt, if you think about it politic is almost inevitable if your characters' goal is basically "change the world" or the likes - A.K.A the politic sub-plot provides a "believeable" platform which the characters can realize their goals.
>>
>>15404262
It's a tricky question because we're talking about a broad genre, and genre ramifications, where the series and their purpose (aside from selling toys) differ greatly between them. Politics will play varying degrees of importance depending of the series story and its aim. You cannot simply get rid of it.

I think you are viewing the whole matter in the wrong perspective; instead of blaming the subject that is being done poorly, we need to point the finger to the writers themselves, who executed the subject poorly. If they want to write a story which features political sub plot and said sub plot take considerable part of the story, and the author acknowledge that he have limited knowledge of political matters, he should look to try to educate himself about it before working on it. A decent author can make a story with good fighting,romance, characters development and relationships, and still add a coherent and well done political plot.
>>
>>15404479
Yeah, this. I think people unfairly blame plot elements for "ruining" a story, when the problem really lies with the staff for not executing it properly within the show. You could have the most nonsensical plot and people would still like it if it was executed well.
>>
>>15404262
What the fuck?
Piss off, ESL shitter.
>>
>>15404830
Not like your grammar is any better, pleb.
>>
Tomino stuff isn't very political. They usually boil down to the simple message of
>GROWN UPS ARE BAAAAAD
>KILL ALL ADULTS
>>
>>15405800
It's entirely accurate, ESL-kun.
>>
>>15404262
Political drama is just as valid as romantic drama. It's the conflict that keeps the show from being a shitty slice-of-life.
>>
>>15404262
>Politic is godammned complicated
Not as complicated as it seems.
>Politic is also godammned boring
No. It depends on how you give it to your viewer. House of Cards is pretty popular, for example.
> should authors considering not to include any political elements in their future work, if they think they can not handle it
If they can't handle it, hire a consultant.
>>
>>15404262
If you remove political bs, you lose out on the manchild audience, which is one of the main things keeping /m/ series afloat these days
>>
>>15405835
>isn't very political
Yes.
>simple message
Kinda. It's simple, but you're oversimplifying.
>>
>>15404262
I don't expect entertainment medium to actually dive into any subject in such depth it starts feeling reading news dispatch. However, we can still expect it to be competent enough so it dosen't feel too silly for one's liking. For example, Dougram spends a good time showing political nuances of a colonial backdrop despite being a commercial for bulky plastic robot toys (iirc it dosen't had the gunpla-esque toys at that time)
Funny thing is your argument could be easily applied to the sci-fi genre.
>>
>>15406190
I don't think that Dougram toys, even as assembly kits, ever got that Gunpla following.

Dougram has one of the greatest (if not the greatest) amount of economic and political details among the 80s shows. And it's still unsurpassed
>>
File: 1392425088611.jpg (317KB, 800x929px) Image search: [Google]
1392425088611.jpg
317KB, 800x929px
>>15404262
>order up one series all mecha no politics ding ding
>>
>>15404262
You're thinking about the more bureaucratic and mundane aspects of politics like congressional meetings, law technicalities, foreign relations, etc.

Anime and pretty much all entertainment usually covers the flashier sociopolitical issues within their political settings to avoid boring the audience with this stuff.

One of the things few innovative things IBO tries to do is actually expand on the politics of its world, but this is done in such a hamfisted way because it only give us that info through exposition blocks.
And while this is how such info is delivered in real life, in a story (much less a mecha anime) this just fucks up the pacing and immersion for loss of a better word.
>>
>>15407001

You haven't seen the Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVAs did you?
>>
>>15407482
no
>>
>>15405835

It's too bad he doesn't go to the logical extrapolation:

> Kids grow up into adults, who are just as bad.
> No-one gets to stay a kid forever.
>>
>>15404830
>politic
>is not a guarantee way
>to added to the salt
Yep, English as a Second Language. Fuck off and die, OP.

>>15408429
If you read his most recent interviews, it seems that Tomino has finally reached that conclusion by himself.
>>
>>15404262
To my knowledge there is very little political establishment or what not in the Gundam franchise. Closest series that pulls it off is 00 in its first season that does a decent job of it, in fact at times I do think it was comparable to how power plays and authorities manage their countries and their economic and military direction behind the scenes like we saw with the Empire and FPA in LotGH.

Outside of that, Gundam fails at it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.