[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Docking Cocking Pits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: bHZfI90.jpg (631KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bHZfI90.jpg
631KB, 1920x1080px
So if we did make proper mechs in the future what's stopping us from using precise mouse aiming and keyboard controls in the cockpit instead of shitty joystick with buttons and throttle jet controls?
>>
>>15400460
Doesn't look cool
>>
>>15400460
How will you keep the mouse from shifting around due to inertia?
>>
>>15400477

some form of magnetism? or gyros to keep the cockpit ride smooth
>>
File: tumblr_o3rjc06NWZ1vnyjnio1_500.gif (703KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3rjc06NWZ1vnyjnio1_500.gif
703KB, 500x375px
>>15400477
Various system consoles on modern ships still use trackballs. Doesn't fly around even when your ship's 30 degrees inclined and saves a lot of space.

I don't think they'll use mouse controls in a cockpit setup though. At most it'll be touchscreens like modern commercial passenger jet cockpits.
>>
>>15400490

Touchscreen in a mech?...would that be wise...
>>
>>15400460
I'm going to blow your mind, anon, but real fighter jets don't actually use control sticks anymore. At least, not the sort you're thinking of. They don't move around, they just measure pressure on the stick, means you don't have to move the stick back to center before you can change the direction of your flight, gives a slight boost in reaction times.
>>
head and eye tracking technology combined with >>15400506

already in modern fighter jets
>>
File: fighter cockpits.png (3MB, 1990x629px) Image search: [Google]
fighter cockpits.png
3MB, 1990x629px
>>15400502
>Buttons, knobs and gauges are dead
>MFD CRTs are dead
>Touchscreens are the future
Feels bad
>>
>>15400511

As long as touch screen controls stay away from controlling the aiming and movement it be fine..
>>
>>15400502
Worked for Unicorn and Banshee.
>>
>>15400460
>precise mouse aiming
I would also like to add that no one actually does manual aiming that much outside of using small arms.

What happens is that the pilot or gunner is merely telling the computer which target to track. When the system is able to track the target (i.e. "lock on") and is instructed to fire, it will generate a series of instructions to the firing system such that the shots or missile connects to the target. It's how anti-air guns have any chance of shooting down fighter jets.

It'll probably be the same for mechs, even in the case of melee stuff like punches and beam saber slashes. The only instance you'll use manual aiming is for anti-personnel fire since they would be hard to track like rodents scurrying about.
>>
>>15400542

What about sniping?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>15400546
Sure, if you want a mech specialized to do visual sniping you can have that whole Gundam Dynames Super Scope setup. I'm sure it has its uses on the field.

For modern artillery and warships though, they can snipe far beyond visual range using radar, satellite, beacon signals, etc. and this is something you definitely can't manually target
>>
>>15400542
What about manipulating things in the environment like lifting, opening containers without damaging them, using those little cable cameras to look inside holes or around the corners? Any other high precision manipulator movements?

>melee stuff like punches and beam saber slashes
Didn't MuvLuv had those things being programmed movements executed via videogamey button mashing?
>>
File: t3_2ocnlo.jpg (1MB, 2816x1880px)
t3_2ocnlo.jpg
1MB, 2816x1880px
>>15400608
Those are unlike firing where you need to hit fast and hit hard. You can definitely use manual controls for more precision at the expense for speed.

Wasn't there something about US using Xbox controllers to control their EOD Robots?
>>
>>15400506
which plane does this IRL?
cause the only reference i have is yukikaze , and thats a frikking book, or a joystick from a dead company
>>
>>15400460
Targeting will be done by computer.s
>>
File: 1490203989843.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1490203989843.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>15400506
That's actually cool as fuck.
Why is life so /m?
>>
>>15400542
In gundam shows I always assume there's massively complex algorithms and techniques designed to connect shots to targets and this makes AI and humans working together.
It explain why people like innovators in 00 are able to hit targets so much better than normal people.
>>
File: Old guard.jpg (86KB, 600x397px)
Old guard.jpg
86KB, 600x397px
>>15400520
You aim by looking at your targets and computer doing all the maths for you.
That's how it works in reality, that's how it works in mecha vidya, it's most likeley how a mech would work if made right now.

See >>15400542

Control gauges are there just for "realism" as defined by retards who've never seen anything resembling a cockpit and think a billion useless notches you can impale yourself on are somehow the pinnacle of 2017's engineering.
>>
>>15400460
>using a mouse in a wildly moving vehicle

sorry anon, but you're not Last Starfightering yourself when you play 10000 hours of MWO
>>
File: gosh.gif (858KB, 240x228px)
gosh.gif
858KB, 240x228px
>>15400502
>>15400511
>>15400520
I never get people's thought nowadays.
just because smart phone & stuffs in touch screen function, they just prone to make things more touch-y than ever.

don't all those normies know gauges, knobs & buttons are still reliable & relevant all the time?
>>
>>15400661
The F-16, for one. The original side stick was totally immobile (had to give it a little give once they found out pilots kept commanding too much force)
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.