[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comparing 0083 with 08th MS Team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: sm 08.png (936KB, 723x500px) Image search: [Google]
sm 08.png
936KB, 723x500px
People seem to be under the idea that Nina somehow ruined Stardust Memory. That's not true. Her erratic characterization certainly stems from bad writing, but it's only a measle problem compared to the amount of qualities the show has. For example, the rest of the cast is good. Kou actually evolves a lot over the course of the story, and has some amazing scenes that display his growth(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3TX47VK3k). Anavel Gato is an amazing, hot-blooded antagonist, and there are other characters, such as Cima, Kelly, South Burning, and even the inoffensive Keith that can be considered decently written and enjoyable. The same cannot be said about 08th MS Team.
Shirou Amada is really underwhelming as a MC. His character is too mild, the emotions he conveys don't feel believable unlike Kou's, and his forced romance with Aina, another boring, underwhelming character, actually hurts his show more than Nina does Stardust Memory. The main antagonist, Aina's brother, is absolute shit, and his sudden descent to madness wasn't credible at all. The other members of the 08th squad are decent, but they don't have anything on the cast of 0083.

Now, the fights. If we simply compared SM's fights with those in 08MST, the former would win easily because of its superior animation and fight choregraphy. So, let's talk about 08MST's base idea. "Tactical warfare on Earth" is a great idea, but even that is overshadowed by the fact that the fights end up not being about tactics, and the protagonists end up being saved by their plot armor. Meanwhile, 0083 executes its base idea brilliantly, with not a single boring episode, and its fight scenes are still some of the most impressive in all of Gundam.

So, how can anyone think that 08th MS Team is the superior show?
>>
This is completely unrelated to the argument presented by OP, but you can insert Top Gun soundtracks at key moments in SM and the tone of the show would remain unchanged.
>>
>>15383071
You want me to ask the English voice actress her thoughts on it? She's coming to a local anime con in October.
>>
File: 1433098404918.gif (956KB, 245x191px) Image search: [Google]
1433098404918.gif
956KB, 245x191px
08th ms team is stupid, and so is the premise of gundams on land.

Gundam only works in space.
>>
>>15383071
I think people are just more vocal about disliking 0083 because they hate Nina that much
>>
>>15383169
>This is completely unrelated to the argument presented by OP, but you can insert Kou or Uraki's wang into key orfices in Nina's body and her personality would remain unchanged
>>
>>15383315
Sure, that sounds actually fun.
>>
>>15383071
People only like 08 because it strays from the Gundam formula, but as you pointed out, it does so very badly. So yes, 0083 is the better show.
>>
>>15383071
08th MS is watchable, it has that much going for it. The art and mechanical designs are nice to look at, the fights are entertaining, and the story's coherent.

0083 is honestly my favorite UC series. God-tier art, really good fight choreography, some of my favorite mecha designs ever, and to top it off the characters aren't even *that* bad. Kou's a pud, but he never reaches Amuro or Kamille levels of annoying. It was pretty obviously made by people who were passionate about what they do, and had the resources to do the best work they could.

>>15383378
That would be difficult, seeing as Gato's already wedged in there pretty tight.
>>
>>15383640
It's watchable. Actually, it's not even bad.
I'm just tired of seeing people hailing it as the best Gundam OVA when that title clearly goes to 0083 and it has that many more flaws.
>>
>>15383614
>it strays from the Gundam formula
Uhh no it doesn't? Earthnoids VS Spacenoids in mobile suits. The good guys have a few called Gundams. That's the formula. That's always BEEN the formula. 08th MS Team did literally nothing different from any of the other shows.

>>15383648
I have never before seen anyone hail 08th MS team as the best Gundam OVA except for casuals. If anything, 0080 gets the title, hence why the contrarian shitposters have been raging about it for a while now.
>>
>>15383071
>Kou
>evolving
He just got a superior mobile suit.
But yes, 0083 is better than 08th MS
>>
Hot take: 08th MS Team would have been a much better show if they had skipped the Apsalus and just fought Zeon ground forces until Zeon's retreat.
>>
>>15383071
Two of my favorite Gundam shows.

Absolutely love the 80's aesthetic of 0083. The whole style of the show is just so "my favorite era of anime" that its hard not for me to put it in my top 3. Writing problems? Probably. I mean, its a Gundam show. Every single Gundam show has things you can hate it for. As much as it has things you can love it for. I dunno if its just me, but "writing problems" and other nonsensical stuff are really things I'm blending out at this point. Its Gundam; its not like its gonna go away.
Personally I think Nina would've worked better as a straight up defector of Zeon though.

08 I love so much because of the tone of the narrative. Focusing on the little man in franchises like this is a favorite of mine. And I it works amazingly well in this regard. I wish we'd get another "grunt" show.

>>15383169
>but you can insert Top Gun soundtracks at key moments in SM and the tone of the show would remain unchanged.
Ye it had a pretty powerful 80's soundtrack. You could insert a lot of songs. Billy Idol's "eyes without a face" instead of Evergreen for example. Also, Men of Destiny is still the best Gundam OP.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>15383071
08th MS Team has a very powerful advantage: airtime on the old Toonami.
>>
>>15385059
Stardust Memory was also on the old Toonami.
It just wasn't remembered anywhere near as much at 08th, I think because they only aired it once.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.