[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rank the reboot designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 16

File: reboot.png (2MB, 1222x1132px) Image search: [Google]
reboot.png
2MB, 1222x1132px
Rank the reboot designs
>>
>>15379560
Japan's pretty good at reboot redesigns. The Next riders are among my favorite Rider designs period and I was hoping to see more Showa riders get redesigns but too bad the movies were garbage.
>>
>>15379560
I really like the redesigned Kyodains, specially the female one.
A shame those reimagined non-KR Ishinomori suits were just for the Fourze movies and we'll never see them again.
>>
>>15379594
I do wonder had Toei thought it would of drummed up some interest or anything. especially with what happened in Super hero taisen Z
>>
>>15379586
There is literally nothing wrong with those movies. They are far better than the source material and The First actually sticks close to the manga.
>>
>>15379560
The Akumaizer suits look great, but it's too bad they reimagined them as villains.
>>
You forgot a certain somebody.
>>
>>15379630
That's a redesign of something?
>>
>>15379560
Amazons are fucking tenoutaten, and I'll probably get some shit for it but I fucking love Kikaider Reboot in general, and the Kamen Rider The First/The Next suits(not so much the movies).
>>
File: daitetsujin 17.jpg (49KB, 500x635px) Image search: [Google]
daitetsujin 17.jpg
49KB, 500x635px
>>15379637
Daitetsujin 17. Although, honestly, it's such an obtuse homage that it barely counts.
>>
The First/The Next - Movies sucked, but costumes were ok. They obviously took inspiration from the manga since costumes need to be put on to hide their altered bodies instead of transforming into their skin or whatever happens in the show.

Inazuman - Costume is definitely a lot closer to the original design than the old TV version. But I just can't get into this version of Inazuman. Sakamoto likes to take Ishinomori's great ideas and characters from his manga and turn them into something generic and bland as hell. For example, he takes two really cool characters like Sabu and Miyoppe and decides to turn everything into some stereotypical teenage Beauty and the Beast bullshit. I hate what that movie did to these characters. If this design used for anything else, I would have liked it better.

Akumaizer 3 - Honestly, this is one of the worst. I really like the original Akumaizer, they were just so unique. They were supposed to be humans who went to live underground and had their body changed over millions of years, both physically and with advanced technology, since they needed to have their bodies altered in order to survive. The demons in the show are called as such because demons from legends were inspired by them. That said, the characters were very sympathetic, and probably some of the few tokusatsu heroes to be really close to Ishinomori's general ideas, including the bittersweet undertones. They were even voiced by real anime voice actors, which gave them lots of personality. It's impossible to feel empathy from these designs, they're generic organic monster versions of the originals. They look "badass" in a lame and forced way like they were made to appeal to teens, even if they had been used as heroes instead of villains like the SIC versions.
>>
>>15379620
I found them pretty boring and couldn't get into it.
>>
>>15379560
Japanese reboots and jewboots shouldn't be in the same image
>>
>>15379809
Well I'm sorry to hear it.
>>
File: XVII_One_Seven_Formation.jpg (25KB, 372x535px) Image search: [Google]
XVII_One_Seven_Formation.jpg
25KB, 372x535px
>>15379660
>>
>>15379772
Poitrine - Design-wise, she didn't change much. But what the hell was this character? She's Poitrine in name and design only. Other than that, this has nothing to do with the Poitrine of the old show, nothing at all. TV Poitrine didn't even fight monsters, but just everyday wackos. And at the end, this movie version was used just as the punchline for some retarded joke, so what was the point? At least Akumaizer and Inazuman made some references to their source material.

Kyodain - I hate these guys. Fourze was a better revamped Skyzel than this shit. That said, the originals were not all that great either. Designs were fine and show was ok. Manga was mediocre at best. I just don't have that much interest in Kyodain as whole.

Daitetsujin 17 - Barely remember this guy in the movie. But why they had to make him all gray? Looks boring. 18 from the show was gray too, but was a much more iconic design than this. 18 was actually Ishinomori's original design for 17, but got rejected for not being toyetic enough. Daitetsujin was a great show, though, at least up to the halfway point.

Kikaider - This is my favorite reboot. The movie is definitely the best attempt at revamping any Ishinomori hero so far. The design was fine, only flaw was the unnecessary claws. He's not supposed to be half-demon or something, just a incomplete robot. It misses the point that way.

Amazons - Looks ok, I guess. The red one (forgot the name) is a like The First/Next version of the original Amazon costume. I have no opinion on the green one, not the worst, not the best, just don't do anything for me.

Power Rangers - Pretty much what I would expect from this sort of movie. I don't hate it, I don't like it. It's just more of the same. Nothing special. Nothing really terrible. Still need to go see the movie.
>>
>>15379560
The blue ranger looks like a fucking ayy lmao. All these visors are so shit
>>
File: daitetsujinproto.jpg (105KB, 553x790px) Image search: [Google]
daitetsujinproto.jpg
105KB, 553x790px
>>15379816
Looks like a Transformers bootleg with some Daitetsujin parts made into it. I can barely recognize him. The proto design for the toy even looks kinda Transformers-ish.
>>
>>15379832
Looks more like an early Sentai mech to me.
>>
Amazon Omega and Alpha are god tier

Also you forget Rider 1 from that Ghost Movie
>>
>>15379845
that isn't a reboot though, that's the original character...with some kind of power up that was never explained.
>>
File: kyodain.jpg (25KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
kyodain.jpg
25KB, 480x640px
>>15379819
>That said, the originals were not all that great either.

If you say so. I think they're two of the best looking 70s suits, personally.
>>
>>15379842
Well, both Sentai and Transformers were toy lines made of transformable bricks, so I can understand that.
>>
File: C7NIyJNUwAEIWYy.jpg (298KB, 1073x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C7NIyJNUwAEIWYy.jpg
298KB, 1073x1200px
>>15379832
Original design can't even transform.
>>
File: hibikiarashi.jpg (53KB, 484x330px) Image search: [Google]
hibikiarashi.jpg
53KB, 484x330px
>>15379850
The designs themselves are ok. But the show is kinda boring, so that also affects my opinion. It's different from Arashi, which I like a lot, but mostly because of the manga since the show is pretty average as well. And thinking back, OP forgot to mention the revamped Arashi costume from Hibiki.
>>
File: worl_daitetsujin_14.jpg (71KB, 599x593px) Image search: [Google]
worl_daitetsujin_14.jpg
71KB, 599x593px
>>15379863
That was I meant by saying it was not "toyetic" enough. Also, Ishinomori's original plan was for an anime series, but Hirayama convinced him to do live action because TV was over-saturated with robot anime at the time. The original design was recycled into 18 instead.
>>
>>15379882
>But the show is kinda boring

I also disagree with that, at least not the fights in the show considering how deliberately jarring the editing in the show is. It's like being on a fucking tilt-a-whirl.
>>
File: C7IWQD_VwAEBzPz.jpg (265KB, 803x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C7IWQD_VwAEBzPz.jpg
265KB, 803x1200px
>>15379897
And there is Megaro 17, the original title for the show
>>
>>15379903
If you mean the puppet stuff and the crazy editing, they drop all that pretty quickly. Like before the first 10 episodes or so. They even give them the real actors bodies back after a while, which makes it all a lot more generic.
>>
File: C1UxSUYVQAQ-54B.jpg (163KB, 1200x1009px) Image search: [Google]
C1UxSUYVQAQ-54B.jpg
163KB, 1200x1009px
>>15379930
>>
File: tumblr_o47vt6NuXQ1utj85ho1_500.jpg (184KB, 500x712px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o47vt6NuXQ1utj85ho1_500.jpg
184KB, 500x712px
>>15379560
The First Riders
Inazuman
Kikaider
Amazons

PR'17. Also it loses points for being fully suited for roughly about a minute.
>>
>>15379863
Where did you get that picture from? I have a book with Daitetsujin concept art, but it looks different from this.
>>
>>15379594
They showed up again in Super Hero Taisen Z where they got an honor boner in battle with Gavan.
>>
>>15379655
I used to love watching the old Kikaider anime on [Adult Swim] back in the day. How is the reboot movie? Amazon was recommending it to me when I bought Ultraman: The Complete Series earlier this month.
>>
>>15380035
Have you read the manga yet? It's a bit rough in places (mostly from assistant doing a rush job in a few chapters), but almost everything from the anime was taken from there.

Anyway, I talked about it here:
>>15379819

You should check it out.
>>
>>15379938
Oh. Well, fuck that then.
>>
>>15379620
You are literally retarded and have never read the manga
>>
>>15379945
>fully suited for about a minute
>fightscene
>immediately opens up the visor

goddamnit
>>
>>15380306
Yeah, how to do everything wrong.
>>
>>15380314
Also the power rangers theme plays for like less than a minute then to be replaced by Kanye West so they could make "power" puns
>>
am I the only one that feels that 3 (and ultimately 4) would fit better in with The first/Next than the original?
>>
>>15381569
No, they really scream THE rather than original Rider designs to me too.
>>
>>15381569
>>15381579
pretty much the same
>>
>>15381569
They have the benefit of modern design but they don't have the small details like panel lines, studded armor plates in the jackets, and the eyes and chest plates are on the bigger side. But the reboot suits have tighter facial features, smaller eyes, and smaller armor, kinda like what happened to redesigned Gundams to make them look more aggressive, or "handsome", and detailed. I think 3 and 4 are actually closer to Black or early Heisei like Kuuga.

Honestly I think it's a good middle ground and I kinda wish they'd update the Showa riders just a little if they're going to have them show up in every movie. I know it's the classic look for the most part but when they stand next to the new suits it's like night and day and it's just a little silly.
>>
>>15384079
Yeah, it's silly how the newer Riders look like oversized toys compared to the old ones.
>>
>>15379655
Don't worry, you're not the only one. I think that Kikaider REBOOT in general is a great movie. I know it'll never happen but I really want a sequel because I love the movie that much. Although that miiiiight be because of the fact that, well, I'm a Toku nerd in Hawaii.

As for rankings, from best to worst....

-The First/The Next
-Kikaider REBOOT
-Inazuman Ultimatum
-Amazons
-PR 2017
-Akumazier Ultimatum
-Fourze Kyodain
-Poitrine
>>
>>15384083
I personally really liked Drive's base design. But in general I agree. They have too much "style". Like random patterns and little details that break up the design when it's totally not necessary and just makes it harder to remember exactly.

Like even Gaim had a bunch of patterns on his arm pads and thighs and had little point bits on his shoulder below the shoulde rarmor. And the chest plate had a (simple but unnecessary) pattern, and those little dots, and so forth. Ghost has random lines and streaks all over his body and a jacket with a bunch of random color stripes and shit. The jacket is kinda cool but it's more of a fashion piece than a hero one. Even Fourze suffered a bit from it but is good otherwise.

Rider 3 doesn't have too much "style". He has like two lines on his shoulders and helmet but he's basically a generic rider who has shackles on him. You get the motif right away, he's a chained rider who has kinda evil colors.

Even 4 who is a little worse is an oldschool aviator with body armor. He's a military guy, you get it right away. Maybe he's russian but you it's a clear motif and there's no need for more.
>>
>>15379945
Are you forgetting that Red also gets out of his Zord to save his dad and beats up some Putties along the way? So like, three minutes.
>>
>>15384141
I actually took a pirated Russian copy of the movie and compiled literally every moment of full helmeted suit screentime. It totals up to about four and a half minutes.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
139KB, 1920x1080px
>>15379560
why couldnt just use the Ivan Ooze movie suits? they are way better than that and more detailed than the tv suits

Maybe Saban is trying to get away from Toei and produce their own without relying on Toei?
>>
>>15385607
Well, the series has always existed just to sell toys, and Saban is just another Disney division like Marvel Comics, so...
>>
>>15385607
Dated plus Fox has the rights to the MMPR movie. They had to pay Fox for the moie version of the PR theme during the Zord sequence.
>>
>>15384098
>Ghost has random lines and streaks all over his body
Skeleton lines. Because he's dead.
>>
>KR First/Next

Still one of the better reimaginings. The exposed necks are a little strange, but the suits are just armored biker leathers after all.

>Inazuman

Considering it's supposed to be a biological transformation and the original Inazuman suit aged terribly, it's actually pretty good. Sanagiman still looks like ass, though I don't know what you could do with that design. A shame it didn't lead into a solo movie.

>Kikaider

The "evil" claw on the red side is dumb as hell. Otherwise it's passable.

>Kyodain
>Akumaizer

Both pretty good. The original suits, like Inazuman, didn't age very well and even though they were revived as villains, the suits are great modernizations.

>the one in the white/green

I don't know what that's supposed to be, so I have no opinion.

>Amazons

I like them, though I prefer Alpha. I'm still on the fence about Neo.

>Power Rangers

Overdesigned nonsense.
>>
File: tumblr_mtbrucWlVF1r3qv9to1_1280.jpg (656KB, 1221x1733px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtbrucWlVF1r3qv9to1_1280.jpg
656KB, 1221x1733px
>>15386976
the one in white and green is Poitrine
>>
>>15381569
If by "the original" you mean the suits they actually used in first and next then I dont see why.

If you mean the actual originals its a retarded statement.
>>
>>15386976
>aged well
Stop
>>
>>15380320
that was so fucking gay and i'm glad that I pirated it instead
>>
>>15385607
>and Saban is just another Disney division
What?
>>
>>15385607
I don't like those. Especially the white ranger, looks lke he's wearing diapers. And they even removed the dinosaur fangs for some reason.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.