[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any recommendations on mecha anime from somewhat recent time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14

File: you get to burning.jpg (51KB, 351x238px) Image search: [Google]
you get to burning.jpg
51KB, 351x238px
Any recommendations on mecha anime from somewhat recent time period, that is NOT Gundam, Macross, Evangelion or any other long running, well known franchises?

Reqs:
>mechs are neither boring looking, nor messy assfuck of colors and neon lightning
>fights deliver
>characters are bearable
>writing isn't obfuscately stupid

Bonus points for mechs to actually be drawn, not CGed to hell.
>>
>>15378543
There's this magical website called google you go there and type in mecha anime then you get a wonderful list of shows to choose from
>>
>>15378543
Valvrave ;^)
>>
> from somewhat recent time period

Why? Especially when you have CG animation as a complaint.
>>
>>15378543
>mechs are neither boring looking, nor messy assfuck of colors and neon lightning
>fights deliver
>characters are bearable
Yeah, this isn't going to happen. And use Google like >>15378556 said, you dense fuck.
>>
>>15378543
Cross Ange
>>
Patlabor is excellent, both movies, TV, and OVAs.
>>
>>15378543

Majestic Prince is the best thing to come out in a long time. the movie finally got subbed even
>>
Can you define "recent" in your own terms? Like on the last decade?
>>
File: 1478746674081.png (179KB, 680x543px)
1478746674081.png
179KB, 680x543px
>>15378543
>Actually good recent /m/ shows
Fafner
Break Blade
Majestic Prince
>not absolutely terrible /m/ shows
M3 Sono Kuroki Hagane
Muv-Luv Schwarzesmarken
Aquarion Logos
Buddy Complex
Cross Ange
Heavy Object
Kuromukuro
>>
>>15378543
Aldnoah Zero
>>
>>15378866
You're kidding right? MP manages to have even worse plot and characters than Macross and equally ugly CGI. It's trash.
>>
>>15378918
It doesn't and it's not.
>>
File: rabbits not want.jpg (127KB, 1280x720px)
rabbits not want.jpg
127KB, 1280x720px
>>15378918

I am and you're wrong. The rabbits are wonderful.
>>
>>15378556
>>15378649
The thing with recommendations is (as I, sweet summer child, innocently believe) that they most probably come from people that have actually seen the material and may have some semblance of a sound judgement regarding both it's elements and work as a whole. Yeah, I can google-fu bunch of stuff that'll lead me to a bunch of more stuff, but I'm seriously curious as to what people here might come up with. Also my leasure time is rapidly shrinking lately, I've always been picky as to what I've watched, but now I actually can't afford not to be.

>>15378873
Yeah, that's about right. 2000+ is fine, but 2010+ more recent.

>>15378886
From listed I've only seen Break Blade, and oh boy, was that show beautiful, in more ways than one.

What does the pic refer to?
>>
>>15378855
>both movies
What about the third one?
>>
>>15378543
>fights deliver

Aldnoah Zero
Sidonia no Kishi
Muv Luv

>no CG

Oh
>>
>>15379033
Pic is Fafner.
>>
>>15378543
Don't watch mecha anime if you don't want to watch old stuff.
>>
>>15378886
>Cross Ange
>Kuromukuro

Mixing troll answers in with real answers is kind of a dick movie. OP is going to start believing in you, and then you're going to betray him like this?

>>15379301
>Not even mentioning "characters are bearable."
>>
>>15379033
Honestly, the only show I can think of that's newer than 2000 that hits all of these marks is Godannar, and even that might fall down on "writing isn't obfuscately stupid" if you're the kind of person who can't just accept that the show never explains where the monsters are from or what they want because it isn't important to the plot.

This guy pretty much has it right. >>15379331 Most of the really great /m/ shows are from the 70's and 80's, continuations of franchises from the 70's and 80's, or throwbacks to the 70's and 80's. That's just the heyday of the genre.
>>
>>15378543
Gundam, Macross, and Eva. suck my dick and look for anime on your own like everyone else.
>>
File: opinions.jpg (184KB, 700x463px)
opinions.jpg
184KB, 700x463px
>>15378886
>>15379334
I forgot Knights of Sidonia. Pretty decent for Attack on Titan with spess robots, penis monsters and trannies.

Add Suisei no Gargantia to the not absolutely terrible list too.

Captain Earth was a bit too meh to recommend. Kuromukuro was a stretch. Cross Ange was a better wild ride anime then Valvrave or Aldnoah Zero. Nobunaga the Fool was Kawamori at maximum crackpipe again.
>>
Argevollen has acceptable CG.
>>
>>15378543
Gargantia
people give it too much hate cause Urobuchi but the narrative isn't really that far off from old exploratory sci-fi short stories. can't help but think of clarke's songs of distant earth while watching it.
>>
File: Stick to AZ.jpg (18KB, 854x480px)
Stick to AZ.jpg
18KB, 854x480px
>>15378543
Aldonah Zero sounds right up your alley.
>>
>>15378543
Fafner and Majestic Prince are both excellent
>>
File: CGI chow fun.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
CGI chow fun.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>15378855
Patlabor is shit. I can stand CGI mechs to some extent but they fucking CGI'ed the Chow Fun. THAT IS A CRIME TOWARDS HUMANITY!
>>
>>15378543
Aldnoah Zero is not as bad as they will tell you it can be a bit unbearable at times but its a fun short ride

Sidonia no Kishi is great but the animation can be a bit jarring at times the manga is a lot better than the anime
>>
>>15380838
Meanwhile the show has barely any subs since only Skaro cares about attempting it.
>>
>>15379334
>Kuromukuro
>troll answer
Oh, it's you again. I thought you finally died or fucked back off to /a/.
>>
>>15378543
Code Geass, Full Metal Panic
>>
>>15380888
kuromukuro wasn't bad, but it's CGI heavy. Some people hate that for some reason.
>>
Heybot
>>
>>15380486
>Captain Earth was a bit too meh to recommend
But it had Pitz!
>>
Kuromukuro is basically Full Metal Panic done better and with Tobikage elements.
>>
>>15381115
The CGI was pretty good tho. I just wish it had kits of the two grunts units
>>
>>15381109
Code Geass is one of those larger-than-life shows with all the characters are way overdramatized. Fun even if the second season has pacing issues.

FMP sways between highschool drama and military sci-fi action. kinda jarring if you don't like one or the other.
>>
>>15378543
Pic related, Samurai Flamenco, Nobunaga The Fool Aldnoah Zero, Fafner Exodus, and Macross Delta are all 10/10 worthy. Gargantia and Comet Lucifer were just minor flaws away from achieving the same status.
>>
>>15381125
Oh yes, I don't mind CGI at all but some people hate it irrationally.

Still, models for the grunts? I can understand the raptors but the giant just looks derpy.
>>
File: 413809134.png (551KB, 1022x1094px)
413809134.png
551KB, 1022x1094px
>>15381136
Whoops, forgot the pic
>>
File: GAUS.jpg (64KB, 355x400px)
GAUS.jpg
64KB, 355x400px
>>15381138
You take that back you piece of shit
>>
>>15380815
A lot of the hate comes from how deceptive the first episode is. It starts off looking like a very different series than what it ends up being, and that's bound to put off people who wanted a whole series in the style of the first episode.

>>15380888
The thing is that in order to really, passionately hate a show you have to have some kind of investment in it. If you get hyped about it and then it lets you down, if you paid for it and it wasn't worth it, if it takes your favorite franchise in a direction that you despise, then you can really hate something.

I can't really go out of my way to hate Kuromukuro, because my entire experience with it is, "Sure, this thing's on Netflix so I'll check it out. Oh, it's boring." I just can't muster up the will to go out of my way to shit on it, because I barely remember it existing except when people talk about it, which is basically never unless they're trolling people into watching bad shows.
>>
File: C1vmqnC.jpg (38KB, 600x338px)
C1vmqnC.jpg
38KB, 600x338px
>>15381145
Oh, you mean THOSE grunt suits

I thought you meant pic related
>>
>>15381166
Those are alright but that's all. The bad guys' main mecha did look pretty bad but I enjoyed their gimmicks.
>>
>>15381122
>Kuromukuro is basically Full Metal Panic done better

Stop spreading fucking lies
>>
>>15381771
You mean truth
>>
>>15381942

I mean 20 something episodes wasted on retarded highschoolers completely ignoring the alien war plot.
>>
>>15381957
Sounds familiar

>>15380815
Even with that in mind it was still pretty bad
>>
>>15378543
Argevollen
>>
Jesus fucking christ, /m/ tastes are fucking awful and i know most you arent even shitposting

Cross Ange IS garbage, it's not a good show. Might be watchable if you make fun of it.
Majestic Prince is unwatchable, unless you are 15. Its not an insult its just that the show is really aimed at kids. It has good fights, sometimes.
M3 is the edgy/gritty mecha show but it's meh at best.
Heavy object is barely mecha, i dont understand why people keep mentioning this show here, also shounen tropes.
Kuromukuro, would watch for the slice of life part but the whole mecha part is bland as fuck. The mecha design is uninteresting, the CGI is meh, and the choreography is boring.
Sidonia, just read the manga
Argevollen is meh with meh cgi and meh mechas and Bland MC

For the good ones
Schwarzesmarken is fine if you like setting (cold war+ayy lmao apocalypse)
Break Blade is good (and not CGI !)
Farfen seems nice, just started but it's also depression the show.
People sptitting on Gargantia are really retarded because its a very good show, with refreshing art and setting, it just feel a bit unfinished because of the few ova that were supposed to link S1 and S2 (that wont happen)
Nobunaga the fool is OKAY. Since the show is very consistent, just watch the first eps and see if you like the setting and the characters
>>
>>15382599

>unless you are 15

Mecha's not really a genre made for oldsters.
>>
>>15382616
Really ? EVA, Votoms, Lot of UC Gundam, Macross Zero, Muv Luv, even build fighters had a lot of references to the old series that youngers wont understand.
>>
>>15382629
>EVA, Votoms, Lot of UC Gundam, Macross Zero, Muv Luv
Yes, those are all made for teenagers.
>>
>>15382629

They're really not made for adults or the intelligentsia, as weird as it is to use that word.

Do you not recall that Anno inserted all those meaningless references to Christianity and Judaism because he thought they sounded cool, for instance?
>>
>>15382634
Actually they were made for younger kids.
>>
>>15382634
>>15382640
>>15382643
For young adults (17-25)
>>
Mazinger Z
>>
>>15382599
>/m/ tastes are fucking awful
Including yours. Stones and glass houses, faggot.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.