[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I finally got around to watch Gunbuster and holy shit was it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: gunbuster-episode-six49.jpg (229KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gunbuster-episode-six49.jpg
229KB, 640x480px
I finally got around to watch Gunbuster and holy shit was it good. That space battle in episode 4, that fucking finale, all the science. It's been a while since I watched anything mecha related, but this reminded me why I loved it. Now I want to get back into it. What are some shows that stack up to Gunbuster?
>>
>>15363569
giant robo ova
>>
>>15363569
>What are some shows that stack up to Gunbuster?
There's a fair few considering Gunbuster has some very awkward execution. What type of mecha show are you looking for?
>>
>>15363569

> all the science

That makes it sound like there's a lot. It's really just relativity that I recall though, so "all" oversells it a bit.
>>
>>15363627
>Gunbuster has some very awkward execution.
What.
>>
>>15363641
Did you forget the black hole? The evolving space kaiju biology? The psychic dolphins and whales piloting ships?
>>
>>15363627
Something more than just robots fighting. Something that deals with politics or science or psychological stuff.
>>
>>15363653

> Having evolution in your media at all is now science

How are psychic dolphins or whale pilots science for that matter? And I don't recall how a black hole is an example of including science no, only that one existed. And including one is no more an example of science than including a car is. Cars exist and are possible because of science, that doesn't make Initial D an anime that is scientifically notable though.
>>
File: 1480535615288.gif (974KB, 500x500px)
1480535615288.gif
974KB, 500x500px
>>15363679
If Initial D was about dolphins psychically piloting experimental flying cars that exploded into black holes I'd say it was pretty scientific.
>>
>>15363697

I have some phlogiston I wish to sell you.
>>
>>15363711
I only have Monopoly money.
>>
>>15363713

How many times did the bank laugh at you before you realized?
>>
>>15363730
I don't even have a car; what do I look like, a psychic dolphin?

But seriously, when a show goes into world building details pertaining to things like technology or alien biology (ie science stuff), like Gunbuster does, it can be nonsense, it can be fluff, but it's "scientific" fiction.
>>
File: alien01.gif (167KB, 600x441px)
alien01.gif
167KB, 600x441px
Forgot the picture.
>>
File: 1365097951861.jpg (37KB, 640x480px)
1365097951861.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>15363569

>That shot of Noriko crying out to Kimiko
>Due to relativity shenanigans, she's already in her middle ages with a teenage kid
>Her voice still managed to reach, even lightyears away

Episode 6 is a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>15363650
It's a very goofy show with some awful pacing and character interactions. Stuff like Noriko repeatedly learning the same lesson or how character motivations change at the drop of a hat or how the fucking coach romance plot comes out of nowhere are all examples of how the show has really weird execution. It comes from it parodying a tennis manga.

>>15363676
I mean a lot of series do that, especially if you are using Gunbuster as any kind of benchmark. Mind narrowing it down some more?
>>
>>15363781
I found episode 6 really fucking goofy and kind of stupid. But to be fair that's kinda how I viewed the whole OVA.
>>
>>15363762

Sure, it's science fiction. But science fiction, especially science fantasy, space opera or whatever you want to call it is separate from actual science for a reason. Gunbuster included some nice bits of relativity, which is both something people may not know about (especially in the 80s) and given relative accuracy. Nothing else is that scientific. It's cool, but it's not notably scientific.
>>
>>15363798
>awful pacing
Not this shit again.
>>
>>15363808
The relativity stuff alone is enough to warrant that label, and then it varies it up with things like finding her dad's ship.

Overall (not in regards to the relativity but the other stuff) it has less to do with "real" science versus how much of it, real or not, is at the forefront of the narrative. At least, IMO.
>>
File: QGQoCKv.png (73KB, 550x279px) Image search: [Google]
QGQoCKv.png
73KB, 550x279px
>>15363781
>Entire episode black and white
>That secluded feeling as Noriko and Amano go to set off the black hole
>Them seeing that 12,000 years have passed on Earth
>They return to a dark planet not knowing if humanity has survived
>"Welcome Back" appears in lights with one of the letters backwards
>Color returns as they make it back to Earth
>>
I cried at the end of Gunbuster. Shit is really sad I guess.
>>
>>15363814
I mean maybe awful is a bit harsh, just some sloppy pacing would be more accurate. An issue I had is that honestly the first 3 episodes aren't very good, and really I just found the characters really flat outside of coach. This was a series that if not for how great the mecha segments were, I don't think it would have it's fame and reputation.
>>
>>15363869

I think it's really strong finale made it stick in a lot people's minds, but I don't think any of the other episode's live up to episode 6 personally. I'd agree the first three are especially boring, though to be fair they're also doing the majority of the show's setup.
>>
Gunbuster is courageous. I mean, no one today would dare make episode 6 like it was done.
>>
>>15363899
Yeah I understand what the first 3 episodes are doing, and she they need to be there. My personal gripe is that that's half the shows running time and it doesn't even establish what it needs to like the sudden romance plot line.

I personally liked the Gunbuster parts the most and found the ending trying a bit too hard to make it an emotional ending, but that's just my take and can understand that being someone's favorite parts. I don't usually say the mecha is my favorite part in a series but for Gunbuster it definitely was.
>>
>>15363930
The first three episodes contain the majority of the parody elements, which is forgivable if not enjoyable in light of that.
>>
>>15363676
it's really obvious but eva and FLCL. for better or worse gainax had a "feel." the subtextual stuff, the layers and layers of bullshit they didn't need to throw in but did anyway, the cuteness, the off-the-rails endings, etc
>>
>>15363805
it's totally stupid. that's what I like about it though
>>
>>15363569
Watch Aim for the Ace so you can see what it was ripping off
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.