[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/m/ game thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 18

File: US_boxcover.jpg (100KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
US_boxcover.jpg
100KB, 640x908px
a thread to talk about /m/ related games
>>
why doesn't fmp have it's own game?
>>
>>15359907
money
>>
>>15357986
>Ring of Яed
Never heard of it. Is it good?
>>
>>15361501
it's great but hard has balls
>>
>>15361501
You're basically guiding IFV-robots that are based on WW2 tanks and self-propelled gun through a DMZ/no man's land between Russian- and US-occupied Japan. Game apparently gets a lot easier once you got access to the not-worthless infantry support options as your mechs derive most of their special ability from that additional crew.
>>
>>15361501
only if you yell HASHA every time you fire, and have a loaded nanbu on your lap for historical accuracy
>>
>>15361501
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQP07zE0zqA

The only bad things are the little animations everytime infantry attacks (so a single battle takes 3 minutes), and you can't save during stages (the game deletes your mid-battle save when you load it once).
>>
>>15361963
that's what you get for save scumming
>>
>>15361501
It's awesome, but it takes forever to play and it's a real pain in the balls to learn if you don't have the instructions and don't realize that the Record Room gives you a lot of pertinent information.
Also, there are only, like, twelve people in all of 4chan who have played it, so you get to be in the secretest of secret clubs.
Don't play the English version if you're a super grammar nazi. There's a handful of typos and terrible grammar.
>>
>>15362043
This was actually a trend from early PS2 games. I don't know why they started it, but I'm glad they didn't go through with it. Resident Evil Outbreak also used this.

The thing is that Ring of Red's stages take between 15 minutes to 3 hours, and you can die with a single mistake.
>>
>>15362060
I know, but that what made the game fun for me

infantry spreadsheets and strategery
>>
>>15362060
>3 hours
I remember getting to the final mission and being so hyped by the buildup that instead of going to bed like I should have, considering it was one in the morning, I pushed forward to finish it.
I finished some time after seven.
>>
File: header.jpg?t=1477973183.jpg (291KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1477973183.jpg
291KB, 460x215px
Brigador is pretty dang fun.
>>
>>15362060
> you can die with a single mistake.
I wouldn't say it's that hard. You might lose a unit if things are really going badly, but as long as you keep Wiezegger out of the worst of it then you can take that loss (provided you're not too OCD to accept lost XP).

Really, the biggest annoyance about that game for me is that the enemy mooks know damn well how disposable they are, and will endeavour to spam all their special shells (and max attacks, if they have them) and use them up before they die as priority one, and given that special shells are all at least as powerful as regular shots and never miss this is a real bastard.

>>15362101
I played Ring of Red piecemeal over the course of about a decade while growing up (my father actually got up and shook my hand when he'd heard I'd finally finished it). I should really go back one of these days and replay it, I might actually be able to follow the political thriller plot. I dug he conspiratorial nature of it, there was stuff going on behind the curtain pretty much all the time and your squad was kind of a flock of wolves because I seem to recall almost every one of them having some kind of secret motive or other.

>>15362058
Don't play the English version if you're a super grammar nazi. There's a handful of typos and terrible grammar.
Eh, it's fine. Some of the dialogue is great, actually.

>"I've done some awful things. There'll be a barbecue in hell for me when this is through."
>"Barbecue in hell? No one would invite *you* anywhere, period."

Soundtrack was fantastic too. The chapter interlude music is stuck in my brain to this day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9JRLiSi2Ic
>>
>>15361501
Take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fLQySm91rY

(Fuck that opening is the best).
>>
>>15362481
>I might actually be able to follow the political thriller plot.

I remember the plot being pretty terrible and the German half MC accepting his NIPPON BANZAI heritage taking up most of it.
>>
There was something hypnotic about battles in Ring of Red, while the mechanism wasn't really that complicated, it was truly unique for TRPG and I feel like more TRPGs could use player involvement in stuff like this.
>>
>>15362481
The thing is that Wei is really good, so you'll want him to fight battles. But at the same time, if he dies in any stage it's game over. I said about mistakes because those later stages have infantry that fires tons of mines, wires and mines, and you can get pounded pretty mercilessly if you advance carelessly. I was so wiped to finished the final boss fight with Ryoko that I almost died - she stepped on two mines, and I finished it with a 49% shot.

>>15362530
Most of this is told in the final stages, but in a nutshell:
- the guy with the glasses was keeping an eye on Ryoko, to see if she was going to contact her father. If she did, he would kill her. He didn't account for the fact that she really hated Minakawa's guts.
- the american guy was after the Dora Gustav the whole time. His mission was to destroy or recover it, and right before the Dora Gustav fires the nuke, he realized that's what his superiors wanted to do (recover the nuclear weapon).
- Wei was after pride and all that jazz. I think it's pretty awesome when he finally destroys the Type 3. It's one of the few games I can think of where you complete your mission way before the final stage.
- Ryoko wanted to tell Minakawa how much she hated him, and took a while to consider killing him. She's also very prideful.

The other 4 people are you run-of-the-mill squad mates who are with you for some personal reason or the other, but the main thriller plot comes from the rest of your squad. Your commander also ends up betraying you near the end.
>>
>>15362530
Most of it is revealed in the last 5 stages. The leader wanted to defect to the Russians, the Russians wanted an excuse to intervene in Japan (this is a reference to Russia's intervention in Afghanistan), Ryoko wanted to kill Minakawa, the JLF wanted to broadcast that message to the world, the Americans wanted to recover the stolen nuke, and so on.
I mean, you know there's something fish when they give Emilio a completely new Anti-AFW for no reason.
>>
>>15362601
I think the whole thing with the Anti-AFW and the Type 3 was related to some german arms dealer, wasn't it? I remember they never even considered recovering it (so Wei's mission was a sham. They just "gave" it to Minakawa's minions because they wanted to showcase their tech to potential buyers.
>>
>>15362579
> those later stages have infantry that fires tons of mines, wires and mines, and you can get pounded pretty mercilessly if you advance carelessly
That's kind of it though, you shouldn't advance carelessly, you always have to pay attention to what abilities enemy squads have and account for them. Maybe it's just because I played it super cautiously I didn't really have much trouble with this.

>>15362530
I don't remember this at all. The actual plot is nominally about the main characters being formed into an ad-hoc deniable ops 'mercenary' group to go chasing into enemy territory after a hijacked super prototype...only the prototype isn't really all that super and there are other, more important things going on behind the scenes, this all being just a pretence for the interests of several scheming parties to pursue their objectives. Most of which goes completely over Wei's head for the bulk of the game as he obliviously smashes his way through other people's plans in pursuit of payback for when his pride got wounded back when Kaiho punched his face in. If anything his part in the story was going from a loner jackass fighting for pride to a competent leader fighting for his comrades, and his part of the story ends with him and Ryoko staying behind in Honshu to face the red army to buy time for the rest of the squad to make their escape boat (and somehow get away and end up raiding Siberian gulags).
>>
>>15362616
Kinasa's diaries mention that the Type 3 hijacking was also a distraction/smokescreen for the much more important hijacking of the Dora, though we don't discover this until the party stumbles across it in transit.
>>
File: Infinite_Space_Cover.jpg (32KB, 256x230px) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_Space_Cover.jpg
32KB, 256x230px
I bought this when it came out and never played it. So this year I finally decided to tackle it.

I'm not going to lie. It's a bit of a slog and I'm not sure I can see it through to the end.
>>
>>15362909
I can kind of understand that. I thought it was cool, but it has some issues. What point are you at?
>>
>>15363203
Chapter 5. I wish random battles weren't so slow, though that's probably in large part to how over-cautious I am with them.

I'm interested in the world/lore, and I enjoy the ship customization and picking out people for different roles on the ship, but the gameplay itself is just clunky.
>>
File: infinitespace_ships.jpg (137KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
infinitespace_ships.jpg
137KB, 800x480px
>>15363213
Being cautious probably isn't necessary, it's pretty easy to exploit the AI. You just leave dodge on at all times, save up for a barrage and then fire it immediately after the enemy attacks in the grace period where they're not dodging. Being in the dodge state means you'll take more crits from normal attacks, but that's never not preferable to taking three full sets of hits. Either that or just spam normal attacks (if it's weaker foes).

Until you get to the LMC anyway. Then you stock up on fighters, sit back, point your finger and laugh derisively as everything dies. (SMC fighters are a joke though, and their carriers are even worse. Don't fall into that trap.)

I played the game basically with a spoiler free walkthrough on hand at all times because otherwise there's just so much running around trying to trip the right flags to progress the story, so I had less issues with the tedium of that.

You're also at the point in the story where the cast has mostly been just sort of wandering around aimlessly getting caught up in whatever they happen across, with the vague goal of obtaining the macguffin at some point. The plot starts getting going properly once Lugovalos is introduced (Lugovalos is the best, incidentally).
>>
>>15363316
Good to know, thanks for the advice. I'll stick with it. Glad to hear the plot will start ramping up too.
>>
File: Borodino.png (194KB, 1142x162px) Image search: [Google]
Borodino.png
194KB, 1142x162px
>>15363340
Splendid. Let's see, some other advice:

Destroyers are garbage, their mobility in no way makes up for their fragility and lack of armament. They're damn good at bullying underequipped pirates, but once you start fighting actual militaries their use diminishes. Use the couple you probably have from early on until you can reasonably afford a replacement.

Cruisers aren't great. Mostly you'll want one early on with a catapult for fighters (because as mentioned SMC carriers suck), ideally a Eudora.

Battleships are the shit and you should gradually stack your fleet with them later on when you can afford it. Enemy fleets never have more than one too, so it should afford a nice firepower advantage.

Carriers are...it depends. SMC carriers have crap capacity, crap weapons, crap defence and high cost, and SMC fighters do piss all. They're good for intercepting enemy fighters, but nothing else. LMC carriers are actually worth having, and the fighters for them can inflict significant damage to ships in large numbers (your fleet is capped at deploying around 120 fighters at once though, so much more capacity than that is just spare.

Special weapons (like the long range cannon and high stream blaster) are a trap, a barrage invariably does more damage without crippling your meter. Don't use them.

AA guns are also a trap. They take up valuable weapon space but are criminally inefficient at shooting down fighters and put you on the defensive. Just get your own fighters instead.

One of the annoying things about the game is that it hides a lot of ship stats from you. There's a PDF of those plus ship module layouts floating about somewhere that might be of use.

If you ever feel the need to grind out money or rank, fill a Junkyard class cruiser or four with cargo bays and fly around in circles between empty locations until your bar runs low, you get more money the longer you go without stopping off at a planet, and Junkyards have insane module space.
>>
Look, I don't give a shit what /v/ says; this game looked gorgeous.
>>
File: Phantom_Crash.jpg (36KB, 250x353px) Image search: [Google]
Phantom_Crash.jpg
36KB, 250x353px
Has anyone played Phantom Crash? It's one of my favorite games of all time but I hardly ever hear about other people playing it.
>>
>>15363517
I've been rolling with three Borodinos for a little while now. Probably part of the reason battles are so slow for me, but they're so goddamn good.

At what point do I get the good fighters?

I am having trouble figuring out what crew to assign to what slots. Rather, I go to the help and look at the info, but I tend to forget by next time I get a crew member and go through that whole ordeal again. Are there any must-know things, or people that are REALLY good for a particular slot?
>>
i really wish there was a good mech strategy game for the pc
>>
File: 1462917355692.jpg (80KB, 587x442px) Image search: [Google]
1462917355692.jpg
80KB, 587x442px
>>15363557
Borodinos are fantastic. Lowest base stats of any battleship, but dirt cheap and so much module space you can keep them up to date with modules easily. Even in the LMC where they just can't take hits you can still make use of them as passable gunboats of you keep them behind the frontline.

>At what point do I get the good fighters?
Once you're in the LMC. All their stuff has much higher stats, and their fighters become good enough to use for anti-ship duties. Once you see the Eberlin class carrier available you know where you're at, it's got the max 60 fighter capacity and is passable in other areas.

Until then you'll need *something* to carry fighters, even if only to intercept enemy fighters to stop them from locking you in place. I recommend the Eudora class cruiser, it's got as much fighter capacity as the biggest SMC carrier, only its guns and armour are actually GOOD.

Any LMC fighters are fine, though the ones you really want are these babies. Multirole, but better at both than almost everything. They can shred a cloud of enemy fighters like a bag of shrews in a blender then go right on to do the same to the hull of the ship behind them. Not even Lugovalian fighters can match them.

>I am having trouble figuring out what crew to assign to what slots
You can sort crew by stat, just do so for the relevant stat for each position (displayed next to it) and use someone from the upper levels of the list, you shouldn't go wrong.

>Are there any must-know things, or people that are REALLY good for a particular slot?
Your first mate determines what your other special move is in combat, so they're most important if you want to use that (and you will with some, Formation Foe is pretty handy). Apart from that, people with high skill generally have passives that make them even better at it. You don't have to minmax too much, it's a pretty forgiving game.
>>
File: KarbBBp.jpg (34KB, 447x269px) Image search: [Google]
KarbBBp.jpg
34KB, 447x269px
>>15363557
As an aside, if you want to snap the game balance clean in half, choose the option to go to Zenito when it comes up and jump through the relevant hoops to obtain one of these babies. Its a pretty mediocre battleship with decent fighter capacity, underwhelming firepower, slightly low durability and abysmal module layout, but when set as flagship its special ability boosts the hit and dodge rates of your entire fleet by an insane amount, enough that you'll almost never miss or get hit. The game isn't all that hard, but this thing turns even the strongest opponents into a complete joke.
>>
>>15363527
that's not the bad part about it
>>
>>15363792
>>15363816
Thanks for all the tips! Feeling more optimistic about the game now. I've been a little worried that I've been floundering around, but it seems like I'm on the right track.
>>
>>15362601
Between Beck in Front Mission 4 and Emilio in Ring of Red, I wonder if pizza-chef type Italians are just a good fit for mecha strategy games.
>>
is metal saga any good?
>>
Bumping the thread for Bumpy Trot (or Steambot Chronicles).
Never even heard about it until a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it, it's a real shame it isn't more remembered.
>>
File: dg_ss207.png (656KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dg_ss207.png
656KB, 1920x1080px
>>15357986
Dual Gear will be cool.
If it ever comes out.
>>
File: metal arms box.jpg (27KB, 256x331px) Image search: [Google]
metal arms box.jpg
27KB, 256x331px
bump
>>
I am participating.
>>
>>15363918
That's because there's not a bad part about it.
>>
>>15364910
Man, I tried with this game. I really did. It just feels like Loading Screen: The Game. Even some parts of it that aren't actually loading screens feel like loading screens, like driving your Trotmobile through town. I get what they're trying to go for, it's a "relaxing adventure" and all of that, but good god it really shows you why so few games automate travel. The fact that you sit through actual loading screens before watching your Trotmobile slowly walk though town (while obeying the stop lights, which actually stop you every fucking time) and then another loading screen before you can actually do anything. The areas are really small and sparse, too, and all of them have loading screens between them.
>>
What are some /m/ games I can get for PS4? Already have MGSV, EDF, Rogue Galaxy, Fallout 4, and Toobie's game.
>>
File: tech romancer.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
tech romancer.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGRR6MkVmE
>>
>>15363543
fuck mocrosoft
I WANTED to play this on xbox live and the second game came out for ps2 with online play
wtf right
>>
>>15357986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3EIPyYmf8

love zero divide
>>
>>15367366
Last Legion UX on n64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj6pR6lP1zY
>>
Do any of you guys know any game like the Gundam EXVS series ?

What I mean, is a mecha fighting game with great mobility but which is not lacking in close quarter combat. I like how in EXVS you can easily fly around and how the mechs are so mobile, even though it lacks a space fighting part. It seems in most mecha games the hand-to-hand-to-beam-saber-to-boxing-glove is mostly inexistant.
>>
>>15367402
>a mecha fighting game with great mobility but which is not lacking in close quarter combat.

See: >>15367262
>>
>>15367444
It does seem fun, but when it comes to mechs, I'm way much more looking for 3D fighting game.

To be a bit more clear... Let's say, the mobility of Strike Suit Zero (flying in space in a third person view) but with more to the combat than just shooting spaceship, like in EXVS where you can shoot or fight in close quarter. And where you fight other mechs instead of spaceships that doesn't move much.
>>
>>15367480
Also EXVS has many different mechas and thefore weapons.

inb4 "just keep playing EXVS then". Well I would if they would put the games on the consoles or pc but they stick to the arcade. Also, it's nice to have some variety.
>>
File: C2jnapvVQAEj9-p.jpg (183KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
C2jnapvVQAEj9-p.jpg
183KB, 1024x1024px
>pick up Armored Core 2
>takes forever to learn the control scheme
>can't build an aesthetic robot because of weight/power limitations
>every boss fight becomes The Dance of the Tickledick Fairies until they die from stray shots
>melee seems useless
>drop it on VIP Escort because neither my light mobile robot nor my fat fuckbot have enough ammo to get through the mission
>didn't want to scrap either one to afford something capable of actually winning
>pick up Armored Core 4
>controls are much better
>melee still useless
>stop when I realize I'm having the same problems as before
If I'd just git gud, I could have so much fun with this damn game series
>>
>>15367402
Blade/pilebunker builds in Armored Core.

I guess there's boost drive in V and VD but it doesn't seem great against other players. Maybe heavy quads aren't the best way to sneak up and boost drive although the damage it can do is hilarious.
>>
>>15367484
it IS on consoles, hell newest one, just called GUNDAM VERSUS, is new from the ground up and not a port, coming out iirc sometime this year, on ps4.
>>
>>15367553
Well, the last one on console is full boost. But the two that followed, Maxi Boost and Maxi Boost ON aren't on consoles. You may say, "what about Force ?" to which I'd reply that I don't own a vita.
>>
>>15367553
My bad, I just checked, I didn't know about VERSUS.
>>
>>15367480
You've played Virtual On right?
>>
>>15367576
Heard about it quite a few times, but never actually played it though.
>>
File: IMG_9930.jpg (270KB, 1600x904px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9930.jpg
270KB, 1600x904px
I love this game and want to make a ground based clone but I'm too lazy to learn/do gamedev
>>
>>15367585
You should definitely try it, it basically laid the groundwork for games like EXVS. The various console ports are okay, but if you can you should try to find an arcade cabinet because the unique control scheme is half the fun.
>>
>>15367587
wish the devs would finish the story
>>
>>15366755
The writing for that game was top notch funny stuff. Kunk was the best.
>>
>>15367518
Well, you could pick up 4A, where melee is extremely good. Either that or just take a laser rifle. I hate them and they're boring, but their usefulness is undeniable. Or keep failing until you get human plus and can use backweapons (and thus grenade launchers).
>>
>>15367262
>That camera angle hiding the head and left arm for the super to pay homage to "Final Shout"
Forgot how GOAT this game was
>>
>>15367592
It's pretty clear they ran out of money so the Endless Mode is literally the canon ending. Shame, but it's not like the story was anything original to be honest with you my family
>>
>>15366755
one of those games that really needs an HD Remaster
>>
File: Kai, upon reading that.gif (1MB, 300x172px) Image search: [Google]
Kai, upon reading that.gif
1MB, 300x172px
>>15367781
It will never happen, and neither will a sequel.

Blizzard bought Swinging Ape Studios and decided to axe those things, and instead make the people work on Starcraft Ghost.

I'm still mad.
>>
>>15367781
Too bad Blizzard bought out Swing Apes Studios. Then dissolved the whole group. They were suppose to take over development on Star Craft Ghost

Just hopes and dreams now:
http://metalarms.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Arms_2
>>
>>15367781
Wouldn't even need a proper remaster, they could just throw it up on PSN through that PS2 to PS4 emulator to gauge interest in a sequel.
>>
>>15362504
>Not the one with Hitler and Stalin
>>
>>15362530
U wot m8?
>>
>>15368172
I prefer this version. Maybe it was just growing up with it, but for some reason I just find the loud jarring voice clips detract from it. It's also a bit too on the nose, compared to the more understated nature of more vague war footage.
>>
>>15367402
Check out Cyber Troopers Virtual-On, its Gundam VS's predecessor. You can easily emulate its 1st few entries on Dreamcast and PS2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCzZfuUH6g
>>
File: buddy04.jpg (1MB, 1200x935px) Image search: [Google]
buddy04.jpg
1MB, 1200x935px
>>15357986
i swear to god if you're not on titanfall 2's dick by now you're no /m/an of mine
>>
File: Jester.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jester.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>15369146
such a fantastic campaign. Absolutely vicious as hell that EA put it out on the same day as BF1. Unforgivable.
>>
>>15367532
>but it doesn't seem great against other players
Kicking can actually deal insane damage and top notch players regularly use heavy bipeds and one-shot people left and right with kicks.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.