[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that of aqua/air/land /m/echs, the sea lovers always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: centurions.jpg (72KB, 300x413px) Image search: [Google]
centurions.jpg
72KB, 300x413px
Why is it that of aqua/air/land /m/echs, the sea lovers always gets the shitty end of the stick?
>>
File: cover-harborbranch.jpg (241KB, 1000x704px) Image search: [Google]
cover-harborbranch.jpg
241KB, 1000x704px
>>15325608
the sea gets the cool irl stuff
>>
>>15325611
That's just a floating bubble. Now if it was a flying bubble, that would be a different story.
>>
>>15325616
>floating bubble
I believe that is actually a sinking bubble thank you very much.
>>
File: cyclops-submarine.jpg (53KB, 1060x706px)
cyclops-submarine.jpg
53KB, 1060x706px
>>15325616
if it was flying than it would be air and not aqua
also
>floating bubble
clearly that's the verKa redesign of the Prototype Ball Hi-Visibility type
>>
>>15325608
I don't know. Human imagination sudden takes hard left turn into full retard whenever the ocean comes up. Especially annoying since people paradoxically think outer space is more interesting despite space by definition being fucking empty, while the ocean actually has stuff in it.

We need a really good aquatic based mecha series with lots of cool aquatic mechs.
>>
File: 5d218a6f-s.jpg (128KB, 500x669px)
5d218a6f-s.jpg
128KB, 500x669px
>>15325797

Kenran Butousai The Mars Daybreak
>>
>>15325876
Blue Submarine no.6 is also a thing if you count, well submarines
>>
>>15325876
Was going to post this.

Motherfucking Poipoider was the best
>>
File: gargantia fixed.jpg (1MB, 1600x1142px)
gargantia fixed.jpg
1MB, 1600x1142px
Gargantia.

I also remember that one show with a blonde kid and his brown waifu that had a baby, that had a twin brother that was an asshole, "Tide-Line Blue" I think.

And future boy conan also had lot of /m/ and sea mecha going on
>>
>>15325797
I know right? It's like... Aquaman syndrome. They turned the Flash into 'goes so fast he can go back in time' and even had Vixen and Animal Man tap into some globe spanning life force behind their animal powers, but Aquaman? He's either 'that guy that talks to fish' or a discount Thor.

Or that time recently he fought Hi-Mocks and beat them with UNDERSTANDING.
>>
>>15325948
>"Tide-Line Blue" I think.
You got that right.
>Umanosuke Iida
However, I can't trust that director.
>>
>>15326090
>I can't trust that director.
Why would anyone trust any mecha shows director at all?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the shows but I also know I'm gonna get triggered at some point.
>>
>>15326185
I meant that he doesn't really do a stellar job overall (not helped with him adapting the Devilman novels rather than the manga).
>>
>>15325608
>the sea lovers always gets the shitty end of the stick
poor thunderbird 4
>>
>>15325608
So why post Centurions as an example?
If you've ever actually watched the cartoon of this, you'd see that Max Ray was just as competent out of the water as he is in it.
1. He helped develop the exo-frame suits in the first place.
2. The first time he fought in it, he didn't even have weapons, just a power pack to enhance his strength. And he still won.
3. He's the team leader.
4. He's not helpless out of the water. His weapon systems can still fire lasers and missiles even if he's not in water. Also, if his usual aquatic exo-frames just won't cut it, he simply borrows one of the other Centurion's exo-frames, the ones suited for combat outside of water.
>>
I think people just don't like underwater adventures too much. Visibility and movement are limited, characters have to swim slowly rather than run and jump quickly, and you can't have fiery explosions, so it doesn't seem as exciting as fighting on land or air. It's nice for exploration, but people want action.
>>
>>15326237
They made Stingray
>>
>>15325797

It's just a function of utility. Most stuff there is to fight about and most human infrastructure is on land, and can be accessed by air while still offering a different plane of combat. Any unit that has a water speciality has a much smaller number of accessible places it can come in to play simply because people don't build as much stuff on the ocean as they do on the land.

>>15326052

Aquaman should just be reimaginged as a water elemental to make him a less "Superman but water" character, in that he's mostly just kind of generically strong but with fish powers a lot of the time. At least an elemental can shift and change in a more dynamic manner visually, and you can bullshit up something about him being able to generate water so as to make him more distinct in utility and function during fights.
>>
>>15325797
>>15326329
This is basically it. You'd think, given the similarities between space and the ocean, it'd be easy to come up with cool designs and choreograph fights. But no. I'm almost positive there's some evil conglomerate of executives blocking oceanic-themed series because they think mecha squids slinging mines at mecha sea slugs would be too boring.
>>
File: SG13_18.jpg (40KB, 500x281px)
SG13_18.jpg
40KB, 500x281px
>space
>literally nothing but empty space for lightyears, with a backdrop of unimaginably distant white dots
>no way to portrait combat in a a realistic yet engaging manner, unless you think it's interesting to look at ships firing computer controlled lasers at each other at astronomical distances in complete silence, with their crews pretending they're navy officers in space

>ocean
>coral reefs
>uncharted trenches and underwater mountains
>undiscovered alien looking animals
>limited visibility letting you set up amazing scenes with search lights piercing through the darkness, illuminating shipwrecks slowly being reclaimed by nature
>the opportunity to explore fascinating prospective technologies like agile subs with ai controlled tentacles mimicking squids, coated with biomimetic reactive armor emitting light patterns to scare off giant predators or underwater fighters utilizing supercavitation to practically fly through the water encased in a sheath of air eliminating friction, their turbines piercing the depths with a faint sonoluminescent glimmer.

It's absolutely maddening how underutilized underwater settings are in sci-fi and fiction in general.
>>
>>15325608
i'm glad hasbro hasn't purchase this right if they did they're going put it together with their own cinematic universe
>>
Childhood is idolizing Ace McCloud. Adulthood is realizing Max Ray was always the one keeping it all together.
>>
>>15328677
But Centurions was by Kenner, which Hasbro bought long ago.
>>
>>15328772
Fuck.........
>>
>>15328683
I always hated ace he seems too much a mary sue to me
>>
>it's a underwater contrarian
>>
>>15328628
because half of what you just listed about water, is just Aerial combat but __________
>>
>>15328795
>half
Exactly though. The sky is also effectively empty. Again, the ocean actually has interesting things in it.
>>
>>15329689

Space does too. It's extremely spread out, but space has lots of interesting stuff in it and unlike the ocean can actually lead to new places.
>>
>>15327296
Also weird stuff going on with pressure and flow, that puts demands on mecha design and choreography.
>>
>>15327291
>Aquaman should just be reimaginged as a water elemental
they actually had aspects of that going for him for a while in the pre-Flashpoint continuity, as they played up his King Arthur connections by having him obtain a magical hand made of water from the Lady of The Lake

also it's been Aqualad/Tempest's gimmick for decades by this point
>>
>>15325611
I fucking love Capsela!
>>
Because the other faction doesn't make water mooks.
>>
>>15325608
Honest answer is water is hard to draw, and animate.
>>
>>15328628
allow me the oportunity to recommend everyone to read Leviathan, from the event group saga.
There was briefly in the 90s DSV Sea Quest , and arthur C clarke ´s Deep Range
those 3 things gave me the hard on for aquatic stuff
>>
File: MSM-10_Zock.jpg (177KB, 436x372px)
MSM-10_Zock.jpg
177KB, 436x372px
>>15325608

No one tries becuase they know they will never surpass the Zock
>>
cyborg 008 is a cool dude atleast
>>
>>15331261
The first season of Sea Quest was pretty alright, but it jumped the shark fast. Thanks for the other recommendations. I'll throw in X-Com: Terror from the Deep,Sub Culture, Subnautica and Archimedean Dynasty as far as video games go.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.