[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Infinite Warfare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

Probably late on this one but I got Infinite Warfare on the steam sale last weekend and I'm interested to know what /m/ thinks of it.

It stuck me as quite Gundamish (Earth vs Colonies, Capital Spaceship fights, Zero-G boarding actions, etc)

The Mech designs were alright if uninspired.

And Ethan the Bot was much more endearing than I'd expect from a call of duty game.
>>
I am yet to get around to playing this one.
Also it looks like we won't get another sci-fi CoD, so this is as /m/ as it gets.
>>
>>15325547
On the /m/ scale I'd say it's pretty high up there, below Titanfall because of the lack of pilotable mechs.

All the mechs in game are either drones or AI controlled and it really begs the question why they didn't have at least one mission with some kind of prototype mech to crash around in. Multiplayer has a C12 kill streak, but that's multiplayer so meh

That said getting to watch the C12 wreck shop on Venus was pretty cool.
>>
>>15325588
JOBBER
O
B
B
E
R
>>
>>15325536
Campaign was actually pretty cool, and seemed to have more budget put into it than usual. Shame that it bombed because the kiddies only play it for the shitty multiplayer.

>tfw it even has a fucking Tomino ending
>>
>>15325536

The story was tainted for me because the SDF are so fucking "EVIIIIIIL"

They actually say shit like "Freedom is a Earthen Flaw", like, how the fuck do you a run a society when you're actively telling the people they have no freedom? Even the North Koreans at least pretend that their people are super free.
>>
>>15325536
Ethan was a nice accompaniment. Omar a moderate second. Ferran knows that rules can be bent sometimes. Salt's okay, I guess. Gator, though, the poor father, he died for Nick.

Designs were expected. Decent enough, nothing standout but nothing too overdone either. I guess it's safe with regards to being one possibility of what the typical player might expect to see in today's "5-minutes-into-the-future" scenario. I have trouble telling the ship types apart unless I look for a while, though.

Honestly, SATO deserved the bollocking they got by holding Fleet Week to all ships, in a day and age where instant jumps were common technology, down to the fucking cutters. At least in 0083, the Zeon remnants didn't flash in to L5 from where they hid.

Riah, well, what can I say? It's well within settings expectations if you put that one up on UNSA's incompetency tab. Out of it, though, it's kinda stupid. I never understood why him suiciding outside of the HQ made such a difference. Are the AATIS' range that short? Not like they could have destroyed the Mons anyways.

"What, there's only one carrier? So much for a global alliance!" - After I realized the Tigris was a destroyer.

Kotch shooting one of his subordinates pushed me into seeing from him from believably evil to a parody. Never expected much from him afterwards, though I did continue to hold out for any elaboration on how SetDef came to be apart from "insurgency that was allowed to forge their own legitimacy due to a complacent government".

I liked the "perks", though, some of them were fun in their own ways. Shield carried the shit out of me. So were the support weapon alternatives; I almost never touched frags. A bit too much gravitation to energy rifles, though, since human AI took cover but bots didn't, meaning they were the more dangerous targets. Especially the EBR-800; with ammo regen on, the game is one-gun-clear.

Overall, average, but dips low in the story department.
>>
Forgot to mention my biggest complaint

>Fighting in a vacuum
>Can still hear explosions and bullets whizzing by

REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: handler-robot-boston-dynamics.jpg (670KB, 1439x780px) Image search: [Google]
handler-robot-boston-dynamics.jpg
670KB, 1439x780px
>>15325588
Kinda sad that they don't rig all those mechs with wheels for tactical WHIRRRRRing action.
>>
>>15325860
They're going by Hollywood space rules.
I think Dead Space had an actual vacuum combat sequence where all you heard was your own suit.
>>
>>15325860
Setting aside the fact that people want to hear laser sounds and explosions during their action sequences:

The human brain recognizes audio cues faster than visual ones. If you were building a giant death robot or space jet and for some retarded reason had a human pilot inside instead of an infallible AI and needed to inform said meatbag of a missile coming up his tailpipe, a BEEP BEEP BEEP they know is "the missile sound" right behind them is more easily reacted to than another flashing indicator on their HUD that just points to the bottom of the screen because you can't display "behind your dumb ass" on a forward view.

Gundams have a computer that takes all the optical and other sensory data the suit receives and builds flight models of the enemies you're fighting, because they're actually too far away and hidden in a Minovsky cloud to be easily seen even with super-zoom. The computer says, "Okay, going by this color scheme, the shape of this blob, how fast it's going, its apparent weight, its maneuvering capabilities, the weapons it's deployed so far, and everything I know about Zeon suits.. this is probably a Zaku II."
This same computer is making gunshot noises all the time in the appropriate direction of a firing enemy suit to warn the pilot that, "Hey, this jackass at your 7 o'clock and 32 degrees above you just shot a beam at you and it'll get here in 1.2 seconds, take some evasive action."

So there's nothing wrong with cockpits having surround sound space fights when you realize they're emulated and for the pilot (and audience's) benefit rather than people forgetting hurrr no sound in space.
>>
>>15326773

>Bombarding the pilot with even more stimuli than is naturally present in a combat situation is a great idea

What the fuck?

Do you think fighter jets make a fucking WOOSH noise in the pilots helmet when they detect an enemy on radar?
>>
my biggest complaint is that the game is set in the distant feature and the antagonists are still generic soviet bad guys with bad character motivations
>>
File: 1489540455230.jpg (46KB, 670x501px) Image search: [Google]
1489540455230.jpg
46KB, 670x501px
I liker it enough that I am unironically considering writing fanfiction which takes place after the end of the campaign.

It kinda ends in a stalemate between the UNSA and SDF. Seems like there's a lot of room for more stories to happen.
>>
>>15326773
>The human brain recognizes audio cues faster than visual ones.
I believe this may be situational. For example, http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/an-alarm-designer-on-how-to-annoy-people-in-the-most-effective-ways . I find it very difficult to believe that the best way to alert a pilot to danger would be to recreate the exact sounds that would be present if an atmosphere were available. I would expect more "designed" sounds.

For example (and I'm making this up) perhaps it turns out that the hiss/hum that we've associated with lasers is too soft, so it would be more effective for the computer to use a different sound. Or maybe the whizz of bullets doesn't accurately convey direction, so something more easily dopplered is used instead. I don't know what the exact problems are, but I have zero doubt that the "natural" sounds are not the most optimal for a computer to reproduce.
>>
>>15326838
they kind of have to since there's a lack of audio and visual cues in space

a pilot who has to handle movement and gunnery isn't going to be very effective at scanning a 360 degree sphere with his eyes alone, and god forbid how many weapons there are that can fuck up the person in a split second and be so far away as to only appear as a vague line or spot of light (railgun, energy beam, etc)
>>
>>15326852
Soviet psychopathy is eternalI mean, its not like Russia has ever stopped wanting to rule the world with its retarded communist bullshitin real life anyway
>>
>>15327351
Also, the Zombies and Multiplayer are better than expected.
>>
>>15326852

>General Soviets

I understood them as "Zeon but even less sympathetic"
>>
It's a shame we saw about two ship classes in the campaign though (Well, three if you count the Mons and the one from the parade that shares the hull of the retribution but with more guns) A Carrier and Destroyer for both sides doesn't quite cut it

I get what they were trying to do but it also seems strange every time they call them airships or talk about their 'drop drives'
>>
>>15327392

Well, Russian culture mixes the worst aspects of the Western culture with the even worst aspects of Asian cultures, you know...
>>
I liked the Earth space fighter.
>>
>>15328102
I preferred the SDF fighter, at least it was somewhat original.

The Earth fighter is just an F-35 with its wing cut short
>>
>cowadoods is /m/ now
you know I can safely say I didn't see this coming
>>
>>15329159
Oh, don't worry. IW did not do as good as expected, so the next one will be back in some backwater desert town.
>>
>>15329191

No the big thing now is to make games about wars that haven't been shown in games before

So look forward to 2019's "Call of Duty: Franco-Prussian Warfare"
>>
>>15329235
>tfw no games about sino-japanese wars
>>
File: Reaper_menu_icon_BO3.png (816KB, 856x691px) Image search: [Google]
Reaper_menu_icon_BO3.png
816KB, 856x691px
IMO I think Black ops 3 did a better job with robot soldiers than Infinite Warfare did, granted I like the ones in that one too, but fuck theres just so much about the ones like this in Black ops that I like.
>>
>>15328096
Здopoвeньки бyлы, Tapac.
>>
File: Tsushima.jpg (213KB, 718x460px) Image search: [Google]
Tsushima.jpg
213KB, 718x460px
>>15329235
>>15329246
>no Sino-Japanese war
>no Austro-Prussian War either
B-but I-i j-just want some pre-dreadnoughts...
>>
>>15327392
>He doesn't knows about the great game
>He doesn't knows how far it goes back.
>>
>>15330542
he got a lot of talkie talkies
>>
>>15329128
No, its more like a chubby YF-23
>>
>>15333463
each one for his friends :)
>>
File: 54654.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
54654.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>15325536

>Room Pressurization used as an indicator of if the the "Artifical Gravity" is turned on

This really grinds my gears
>>
>>15325860
I remember a developer saying that the explosions aren't actually there, but are filled in by your helmet instead.

There isn't actually any sound in space, they're just simulating it.

I don't know what they'd do that either.
>>
>>15327351
I thought the idea of the ending was the SDF lost most of their fleet and their ship yards in the final mission while the UN still has the Moon shipyards and freightyards so it can at the very least push to end the war.
>>
>>15342575

A CoD game ending without a definitive "Bad Guys Lose, Good Guys Win" is out of place
>>
>>15342809
Did the last 2 not have them too? AW had a "baddies dead but the war isn't over" and blops 3 had it as a dying hallucination.
>>
>>15345313
BO3's story was so fucking weird.
>>
>>15345318
It didn't help no-one expects a CoD to have a story where you play an AI replaying someone elses memories as a dying guy especially when thats only explained in the lightning fast loading screens.

It was pretty fucking weird even without that too.
>>
>>15325536
I wanted to like this game, I really did.

Then I got Titanfall 2, and never looked back.
>>
>>15349395

The movement is definitely upgraded in Titanfall comapred to CoD

Though both have wallrunning and double-jumping, I hardly remember that in CoD, but do it all the time in TF
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.