[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

People seem to be terribly unhappy with the current level of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: Para.jpg (88KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Para.jpg
88KB, 736x1040px
People seem to be terribly unhappy with the current level of mecha anime. But what would you like to find in a mecha show that instead, and for the most, there is not? Yeah, good story is an easy win.

Something more specific?

I wish they were more imaginative with the technology for logistics and warfare. I always feel that a lot of mecha shows are frozen with a concept of tech from the 90s.

Expelled from Paradise had some good ideas. For me, especially the mecha ball.
>>
File: atomic robo 3.jpg (76KB, 400x607px) Image search: [Google]
atomic robo 3.jpg
76KB, 400x607px
>>15319969

Less MECHA more robots.

Atomic Robo TAS when
>>
>>15319969
I wouldn't mind a new mecha show that doesn't involve any combat. A show about Racing Mecha or a SoL about a group of workers who build/salvage/load/unload shit all day would be nice.
>>
File: MMMM REAL ROBOTS.webm (2MB, 720x360px) Image search: [Google]
MMMM REAL ROBOTS.webm
2MB, 720x360px
More real robits. In IBO you always have those h-hayaii moments where the Gundam moves fast as fuck but they don't show the actual movement and the mobile suits have this sort of too human or fantasy look to them. It's why I really liked the introduction of Thunderbolt where you saw the Mobile Suits taking off and the aftermath of a battle with salvaging and stuff like that.
>>
>>15320070
Unfortunately, Thunderbolt has the same h-hayai moments making the combat dull. Seems to come naturally with new animation, just look at the Origin with the CGI.
>>
>>15319969
I don't think the problem is so much individual elements, but a general lack of vision, sense of direction and ability to execute. Maybe I might be biased since the latest recent mecha I've been watching has been IBO, but I'm getting the feeling that mecha directors don't know what they trying to achieve with a show, or even if they do know, they don't know how to actually properly execute it in a compelling story telling format.
>>
>>15319969
People seem to forget that every decade of /m/ anime only has about 2-5 works that are actually good. Current /m/ anime isn't any worse than any previous decades, there have just been few to no good shows when the decade isn't even over yet.
>>
>>15319969
For me it's a matter of were a series falls on the Super to Real Robot spectrum. A lot of modern anime that I've seen tries to be serious and political like a real robot show, but they have these janky, flowy Super robot-ish designs that don't fit. Gundam 00 and Code Geass where big offenders of this. It's also why UC Gundam will always hold a place in my heart, because it's Real Robot enough to be gritty, but just Super Robot enough to where they can pull some fun far out shit. Mind you they don't do it perfectly, but it's the best example I can think of.
>>
>>15320737
We're seven years in. Is this where its gonna start getting good?
>>
More mecha that isn't so focused on drama or asspulls about motivations.

More sci-fi, less pseudo-magic.

Christmas Cake heroines.
>>
What mecha really needs is a way to make money on the scale that the toy adverts of the 70s and 80s did. Then we'd go from 4 or 5 shows a year and one of them is ok, to a few dozen plus a year and several of them are great, plus a few that are so shit that we can laugh at them.

In the actual shows - I'd like to see some kind of show that takes maintenance seriously. I can barely think of a show where a mecha took damage that didn't magically get fixed offscreen between eps, regardless of how desperate and poorly equipped the protagonists were. Its like they're afraid it'll break the power fantasy.
>>
>>15320737
That really spells out the same issues I've had. I would put IBO under that as well, since the MS designs are all over the place and have really ridiculous and impractical leg/feet designs (if it's not high heels for military robots, it's tiny feet, if there's even proper feet to stand on at all) for an ostensibly post-calamity tech level.
>>
>>15319979
>less mecha more mecha

Ok
>>
How about mecha in decently written shows. Is that too hard to ask?
>>
>>15320850
>Christmas Cake Heroines.
I agree, the curvier the better.
>>
>>15320966
Yes.
>>
More beams
Less jazz
>>
I want clunky robots with goofy weapons, great music, a sense of adventure in a geopolitical backdrop.
>>
>>15320912
>a few dozen plus a year and several of them are great
>several of them are great
This has been true for maybe a couple of years, and not usually in the same decade.
>>
File: Metropolisposter.jpg (31KB, 220x486px) Image search: [Google]
Metropolisposter.jpg
31KB, 220x486px
>>15320945
>All mecha are giant robots

myopic pleb
>>
File: 18d72bc2f472f1ef8eb7bb8b7a5da4c2.jpg (414KB, 1197x2300px) Image search: [Google]
18d72bc2f472f1ef8eb7bb8b7a5da4c2.jpg
414KB, 1197x2300px
>>15320986
>>15320850
>Christmas Cake heroines.

In a just world Shizuru would have been the main heroine of Godannar

Kouji could tag along too I suppose to bring out the playful minx older women charm
>>
Multi-pilot super robots that aren't all zippy and shit, and it has to be hand-drawn.
>>
>>15321353
>and it has to be hand-drawn.

I feel like people who make this complaint are the same people who are never happy ever.

I know there's a lot of bad CG out there but it's just a tool like anything else and for every bad CG show out there there's 10 bad hand drawn ones.
>>
Maybe the new annual Star Wars films might inspire some interest in (non-Gundam or remake) space opera shit?
>>
>>15321359

well there's GoTG2
>>
Not really Super robot related, but 90s, was not so bad for an edgy faggot like me. I want back so much a bit of these Grimdark Cyberpunk settings. The worst possible setting, dirty, bad and creepy, because the real task of good sci-fi is to warn us about the future. I would really like a mecha show in that kind of setting.
>>
The main character shouldn't have some super duper unique magic power, especially if it's in any way related to his eyes. That's always a clear sign of a trainwreck anime.
>>
File: 1478886600387.jpg (215KB, 641x704px) Image search: [Google]
1478886600387.jpg
215KB, 641x704px
>>
More robots less pilot drama. No cheesecake T&A. No romance or love interests.

No highschoolers.

I won't even mind if you never see any humans, with the main characters being AIs or hidden from view like in Armored Core where you only hear them via radio.
Mostly urban settings and smaller robots. Maybe a police force.

After that I don't care if it's robots fighting robots or robots fighting demons or robots fighting cyborgs from another dimension or if it's supers or reals or anything. I'm tired of drama shows with robots, I want a show with robots on the forefront.

Alternately a lighthearted comedy about prospectors or industry workers using robots/power armors could be nice as well.
>>
>>15321353
>all zippy and shit
You knockin' on Getter, faggot?
>>
File: 1429494169960.jpg (128KB, 1252x1252px)
1429494169960.jpg
128KB, 1252x1252px
>>15327776
>No Cheesecake T&A
>>
>>15319969
Honestly, can I just have a simple giant robot show with some big giant robots fighting some big giant adversaries that doesn't go off the rails or whatever?

I have no trouble with shows like that, but apparently other people do.

>>15320737
>A lot of modern anime that I've seen tries to be serious and political like a real robot show, but they have these janky, flowy Super robot-ish designs that don't fit.

I don't follow. What about "politics and seriousness" doesn't work with "flashy robots"?

Because if the explanation is they're not serious, well, any giant robots at all are inherently not serious.
>>
Either make it believable or make it totally fucking insane. I can't really suspend my disbelief for a few seasons in order to process the idea that some bratty, disobedient kid is trusted with the most advanced piece of technology ever developed and then uses it to singlehandledly save everyone forever. It doesn't have to be serious, I can enjoy TTGL or G Gundam and the like but don't give me that shit and then try to tell me it's a serious story and a deep insight on politics and war.

Also either 3D the fucking robot or don't. I don't mind full CGI and I enjoy traditional animation but don't switch it back and forth.
>>
>>15327776
>No cheesecake T&A. No romance or love interests.

What a drab boring little man you are.
>>
>>15328161
> Honestly, can I just have a simple giant robot show with some big giant robots fighting some big giant adversaries that doesn't go off the rails or whatever?

This, please.
>>
>>15327776
>hidden from view like in Armored Core where you only hear them via radio
I'd kill for a show like this, that's one of the things I always loved about Armored Core. It makes it feel like the mechs themselves are the characters.
>>
>>15328443
>>15327776

It can work in a videogame , but will never work in a show.
>>
>>15320021
Rideback had so much potential and it turned into generic garbage by the second half of the show.
>>
>>15328559

Really?

I'm honestly questioning how you can make something like serious racing remotely enjoyable in a fictional setting, and I watched stuff like Wacky Races religiously in my childhood.
>>
>>15328443

it might also work well for some kind of DECONSTRUCTION, like they're all souls lost in afterlife or whatever.
>>
>>15328559
>>15328612
I suspect that it's a botched adaptation, didn't it start out as a manga?
>>
>>15328612
Same way they managed it for shows about racing cars, I'd imagine.
>>
>>15328144
Nigga there's a shortage of robots and there's definitely NOT a shortage of cheesecake, the fuck is your complaint?
>>
>>15319969
>People seem to be terribly unhappy with the current level of mecha anime.

A lot of it just seems to be shitposting for the sake of shitposting.
>>
More Boss borot mechs made of garbage.
>>
>>15327776
I would not even mind some high schoolers
long running wars would need to enlist younger and younger people.
Some would not be bad. but when the entire show is about kids.
fucking GAAAAAAAY
>>
>>15327776
>>15331069
High schoolers are fine if they're rambunctious punks and not cardboard dweebs who exist solely to be the axis of a shitty color by numbers harem.
>>
>>15330342
But what about Robots and cheesecake, or robot cheesecake, robotits, robobutts.
>>
>>15328612
Let me enlighten you:
Initial D: First Stage (SUB): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2971DA4C3BF1B07
>>
>>15333698
I suppose a playlist wouldn't embed, now would it.
https://youtu.be/SVG7zusJ1t8
>>
A mecha show ala Cloverfield.

Most of it is about people dealing with the impact of giant robot battles, building savaging, the senseless deaths etc etc.
Rag tag group of armor wearers having to take on mecha's.

I'll also make being a "pilot' some major as fuck thing that not everyone can actually physically do. Not something as simple as 100gs will crush them or something, more like the tech to make it actually work is filthy wetware and they're using fairly esoteric and only vaguely understood psionic tech from the cold war and multiple ancient texts to get the fucking things to function.
How inhuman the pilots become and they are forced to become to fight the way they do.

Ditch the MECHA IS JUST PEOPLE IN ARMOR shit and just fully explore how fucking horrifying and overtop the entire concept will have to necessarily be to even work and a realistic approach.

Would also like something like mecha are not seen as tools of war. They're used for sports and entertainment.
Ala IGPX from toonami, Basquash, the second seaon of Age etc.

I wanted something akin to igpx meets redline meets tailenders meets zoids new century meets the first season of G:BF. Bunch of people who're competing in races/contests using unique and highly specialized mecha.
Also want something about a lost space ''''civilization with cool tech and locations and worlds the like.
It's like this.
The race isn't really just a race, it's a ship race to find and navigate to new worlds, negotiate with natives, etc.
The meat and potatoes of the thing is when they find a new uninhabited yet living or terraformable world. They and others have to race across the planet along a pre-planned course created by a satellite/ai to fully expand upon the map and help the terraforming tech and any other companies looking for things. The MCs group are a bunch of low level racers/adventurers who dumbfuck upon a really good frame and they decide to earn money so that the resident ace can run it in a big race
>>
>>15334006
Please consider killing yourself for your shit taste and autism.
>>
File: 1478959506559.jpg (619KB, 750x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1478959506559.jpg
619KB, 750x1024px
>>
>>15319969
BURN GARN MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>15319969
More chest beams and giant swords
And more skin tight pikot suits
>>
More combined arms with mechs destroying vehicles and squishing soldiers
>>
>>15319969
>Yeah, good story is an easy win.
But that is the point. Execution > Concept

Just throwing in an element won't improve a shows, you can have the best most unique ideas ever but if you shit the bed then it doesn't matter.

But writing good stories is hard, so it is much easier to have a cool idea to hook people in at the start of a season to then have them complain while watching it all and buying a figure.
>>
>>15319969
Another show like Dougram'd be nice.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.