[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Tomino Interview: "I haven’t produced an outstanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 257
Thread images: 21

File: failure.jpg (46KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
failure.jpg
46KB, 800x600px
>all that Miyazaki dick sucking

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/03/13/yoshiyuki-tomino-on-gundam-newtypes-and-the-perilous-future-facing-humanity/#2f1664724b8a
>>
More like 30
>>
File: forbes.jpg (164KB, 1411x826px) Image search: [Google]
forbes.jpg
164KB, 1411x826px
not to go off topic, but
>forbes
>>
I liked this interview. It was interesting to hear that he really dislikes the idea of branching out from Earth. I was disappointed they didn't mention really anything he did other than Gundam, I was hoping to hear him talk about Zambot 3 or Xabungle
>>
>>15313672
forbes is ass but they host this guy's interviews with mecha people because... I guess there's some quota of randos that aren't political hacks they needed to fill.

Why the hell do they run his stuff, anyway?
>>
>>15313573
no shit that stupid hack could have made King Gainer much better if he didn't end up trainwrecking the end also best girl Cynthia lost
>>
>>15313693
Ollie Barder has a lot of ties to Japanese anime companies and organizations.
>>
>>15313693
The Forbes contributor program tries to cover a very wide variety of topics outside of their typical money stuff in hopes of attracting readers who usually wouldn't bother with Forbes.

Also
>That said, about 25 years ago I tried to get at the core of this Newtype idea and it resulted in a type of human that could comprehend someone else without any misunderstanding. However, I couldn't really make a compelling story out of it. In short, it didn't become a story. So I couldn't do it and I've been stagnating since and I've recently caught a cold as well (laughs).
>>
>>15313573
neat

nice cherry picking OP
>>
>>15313709
Honestly, I didn't feel like either girl won or lost. Also best girl wasn't either of Gainer's girls
>>
Personally I thought G-Reco was his best gundam show with very clear cut themes that act as a sort of spine for the entire show. And the pacing actually kept me interested in a sort of marathon, while all his longer running shows got fatiguing quickly and I really felt like I had to trudge through large parts of them.
>>
>>15313766
I would have like to have seen his planned updated content for the blu rays though
>>
For anyone that is interested in anime, you will have likely heard of Yoshiyuki Tomino. One of the main forces behind the original Mobile Suit Gundam, he has since gone on to create and work on all sorts of fascinating series and movies. I caught up with him recently at Sunrise and ended up discussing all manner of things, from his work to what he thinks will await us in the future.

Tomino is a very big figure in Japanese animation, having written and directed many very successful series and movies. While he may be more known for his mecha-related anime, what has allowed his work to resonate and endure is down to the depth of his stories and characterization.

In that sense, the mecha in a series in Mobile Suit Gundam are closer to conduits for the characters that pilot them and the narrative is far more human as a result.

However, Tomino’s approach to all this was both pragmatic and cinematic, as he explains, “I graduated from university back in 1964, which was a period when Japanese film making was having quite a tough time. Though to be honest the same went for Hollywood as far as I am aware. However, I graduated with a major in film making and that meant finding work was very difficult. Incidentally, Mushi Production was recruiting people that were graduating that spring. In addition, my university and Mushi Production were quite close, so I applied for the job, had an interview and ultimately got the position. These days, people get into the industry because they adore animation but for me that wasn’t the case.
“During my final year of university the anime for Tetsuwan Atomu (Astro Boy) series started its weekly airing. It was known then as a ‘limited anime’ but after one year into this broadcasting approach, they began to settle into their production process.
>>
>>15313672
Stop promoting your shit Lauren.
>>
“After I entered Mushi Production, about three months in I began to wonder whether I could direct or write a script. So I started to do that and six months later, my storyboard for an original story was accepted and I got to be involved in the directing side of things. However, I found this kind of work within animation to be a bit childish and I wasn’t sure it would be all that gratifying.
“I had a hard time familiarizing myself with the method of limited anime, I left Mushi Production and went into TV advertising as a freelancer but that turned out to be financially difficult. In addition, I was so accustomed to desk work at that point and my body had a hard time switching to a job that was more physical. As a result, I went back into animation. It was childish work but I could make ends meet. So as a freelancer I did subcontract work directing and storyboarding.

“In that sense, I returned to all this with a very pragmatic frame of mind. But I did things differently after getting back into animation. This time, I worked on as many genres as I could. At that time, I was making around half my income from storyboarding and I thought that as someone that is involved with making animation, I just wanted to increase my level of skill by accepting whatever work came my way. When some of my storyboards were taken up, I could then get involved in directing. Fundamentally though, I was focusing on improving my skill and to deal with all sorts of areas. In hindsight, looking back at those days I can see it was very important that I did all this. I continued on with this until 1978 when I started working on Mobile Suit Gundam.”

The Build Up To Mobile Suit Gundam

There are few anime that have had the long-term cultural impact of Mobile Suit Gundam. While I have watched and enjoyed the Gundam saga in its entirety, its origins are something I obviously wanted to know more about.
>>
“By inventing this particular setup, we were able to create something equivalent to the depiction of a cinematic (and theatrical) drama within this space war scenario. That meant within the next 30 minutes of the story, due to the Minovsky particles the forces had to fight in close proximity to one another. This wasn't done because I necessarily wanted to make a story based around a space war itself but was invented purely for cinematic purposes.

“Although this was a space war, it was possible to communicate over large distances. In terms of cinematic technique, it was possible. However, the depiction would have been too ideological or too difficult to have theatrical empathy. This meant unless the distances between the characters were closer together, it would have been difficult to express human relationships. If I hadn't been conscious of theatrical expression, then Mobile Suit Gundam would have been the same as any other type of story about war. The Minovsky particle then forced the characters to meet one another, either in joy or vengeance. It created a sense of tension, and established a dramatic atmosphere.

“Obviously, I didn't come up with the idea for the Minovsky particle all on my own. I discussed with my staff and explained my requirements and they came up with this solution. However, this was a key point in making a story set in space, which is mostly empty, have more of an impact as to its cinematic effect.
>>
>>15313742
You don't know what cherry picking means. You are an idiot.

>>15313766
I felt the opposite way. I felt G-Reco was a complete mess and despite liking the setting, animation, soundtrack, and designs, I couldn't get into it.
>>
“To go back a bit, from around 1974 I worked with Mr. Isao Takahata on the storyboards I was doing. At the time, various people were involved in the projects and they were discussing on how to dramatise them, how to do the animation. They were all debating and discussing this, almost theorising. Then I realised that I shouldn't be looking at my work in a purely practical manner and that I needed to look at this work as something creative and almost artistic. I also met Mr. Hayao Miyazaki around this time and he really loved animation and how to approach mecha type stories. Until then I had never thought about playwriting for animation. It was a really great period of study for me.

“If you’re not involved in a wide variety of work, your focus gets narrower. If you are not studying various types of works and if you don't learn different types of dramatization then you will only make limited work. What I mean by this is that I don't want to be a producer that is only capable of making something like the films made based on Marvel Comics properties, which from my point of view is very silly. Of course, I acknowledge the existence of Marvel label as a business.

“So from around 1977 onward I started to do mecha related series and from then on I was integrally involved in checking all the stories and production. I felt that because of all the studying I'd done up to that point I could do a much different job, without making it like some kind of Marvel film series.
“Within the restrictions placed upon these productions I tried to move them away from them being inherently childish and to make it closer to a film in terms of its approach and depth.
>>
>>15313573
>As I worked onGundam Reconguista in G, I started to think about the global economy as a system
Wasn't that too late?
>Max Weber
Pleb-tier.
>>
“To create cinema you have to rely on the structure of each scene. Normally within each shot you tend to need two points (allies and enemies) to focus on to make it work. Such as you and I for example. However, if you are going to make a story based around a war in space, how can you frame a scene like that? As the setting itself is so vast in terms of the distances involved.

“So you have things like radar, which can detect an enemy's position, but that means you won't be able to get these objects into the scene. This means if things don't get closer to one another, they won't be able to fit into one shot and it would be impossible to depict the drama.

“To solve this problem, my team and I came up with the idea of the Minovsky particle. When this was distributed across large areas, you couldn't rely on radar or detect where the enemy might be. This meant the forces had to come closer to one another in order to fight.

“These things as well as everything I learned from Mr. Miyazaki in terms of characterisation and how to build characters, not to mention the various other theatrical and dramatic elements that I learned from Mr. Takahata. If I hadn't met these two individuals and learned all these elements from them, then it's very likely that Mobile Suit Gundam would not have turned out in the same way. I'm admitting this for the first time but without them and me aiming to make the series more cinematic, such as thinking very keenly on how to set up each scene; it would have ended up being worse than the Marvel films.
>>
“It may sound like I am insulting the Marvel films, but I haven’t produced an outstanding work for 20 years, so I really do not have the right to say anything about them. Not to mention that as an entertainment, there are things that tend to fit their time period. So something like Marvel film series has its own place. For example in Hollywood, there were two Godzilla films made but recently we had a new Godzilla film made in Japan. As it had a different director, Hideaki Anno in this case, it had its own realism and was maybe just a different approach. So I suppose there should be places for various types of entertainment but I only think that if it is coming from somewhere like Tokyo it shouldn't be placed in somewhere like Hollywood.

“Moving back to Mobile Suit Gundam for a bit, while the Minovsky particle was meant to bring characters together in a cinematic way the idea of Newtypes was separate from this. The Newtype notion came from somewhere completely different.”

Newtypes are a very big part of the narrative for Mobile Suit Gundam. In the story, they are the product of humanity moving into space and evolving to meet that challenge. However, in the years since their portrayal has been warped somewhat. Something that Tomino went on to talk about in detail, “Around that time, there were other mecha-related science fiction works but looking at them they didn't come across as being science fiction at all. So in that sense the creation of Newtypes was a solution to that.
“Forty years ago, the use of psychic powers and telepathy in science fiction were often added as some kind of fighting ability. Whereas a Newtype is just a notion in the story, it isn't an ability.
>>
>>15313788
>I'm going to copy and paste the entire article even though a link is provided
Couldn't even be bothered to do a full page screenshot? Fuck yourself.
>>
“While I was working on Mobile Suit Gundam over the course of 10 years I began to think about how human beings might improve and evolve. Unfortunately, I was unable to properly get this idea into the original Mobile Suit Gundam. In that, I was unable to present an adequate form of a more evolved human. Speaking in modern terms, the first cognitive revolution occurred when Homo sapiens crossed the ocean, and I wanted to depict the second cognitive revolution by going into space.

“In terms of describing this idea in subsequent Gundam series, I wasn’t able to do that either. In terms of the later Gundam stories I worked on, trying to show how a human might evolve into something better, it would be usually described as something like a god but that's not something I intended. Newtypes are just evolved beings and not gods. I don't think that the later Gundam series were able to adequately show what that might be.

“That said, about 25 years ago I tried to get at the core of this Newtype idea and it resulted in a type of human that could comprehend someone else without any misunderstanding. However, I couldn't really make a compelling story out of it. In short, it didn't become a story. So I couldn't do it and I've been stagnating since and I've recently caught a cold as well (laughs).”
This premise of how Newtypes could comprehend someone else without misunderstanding is an ongoing theme in Tomino’s work and something he built on further with series like Aura Battler Dunbine.
>>
“So in Mobile Suit Gundam I sent a message to viewers, especially younger viewers, that you should try and become a Newtype. If I continued on from trying to send that message, then what else could I do? I thought that then a new story would need to be set within an imaginary world, but not exactly fantasy, as I don't think Aura Battler Dunbine is technically within the realm of fantasy. It is set within a world of imagination and one that consequently features mecha. It is not based on a world of a different dimension.

“So the setting for Aura Battler Dunbine is within the world of imagination, one of the reasons being that I think Japanese people of my generation have an interest in European folktales and mythology. Considering that animation needs to have a global appeal, I thought that setting everything in Japan would go against that. That's why I used the somewhat medieval European setting in Aura Battler Dunbine.”

What’s fascinating about Aura Battler Dunbine is that you have all these disparate people from what is known as the earthly world (our realm) transported to this imaginary world of Byston Well.

This was something that was played with in the series, as certain characters from places like China would bring their nationalistic grudges with them and bear them out on other people, such as the series’ protagonist, Sho Zama.
In one scene, a Chinese character called Fei Cheung Kwan fights Sho Zama and berates him for being Japanese, something that Sho points out to be both crazy and irrelevant as they are all caught up in the realm of Byston Well. In that, nationalism has no place in this imaginary world.
I was curious as to whether this was intentional or not and Tomino was happy to clarify, “In the scene you described, I did that intentionally because in this imaginary world it wouldn't be hate speech and it can be expressed as something more open.
>>
File: 1472690370770.jpg (12KB, 231x363px) Image search: [Google]
1472690370770.jpg
12KB, 231x363px
>>15313829
>please give me clicks, I have my wife's son to feed!
>>
>>15313788
>>15313795
>>15313804
>>15313814
>>15313821
>>15313826
>>15313834
>>15313841
What the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>15313869
Fucking Forbes apparently
>>
File: 1371617995967.jpg (260KB, 1024x524px) Image search: [Google]
1371617995967.jpg
260KB, 1024x524px
>>15313867
>Doesn't copy the text of the article into a pastebin
>Doesn't do a fullpage screenshot
>Doesn't use adblock
You deserve an award.
>>
>>15313889
That's not me posting it, I would have just used Archive
I'm just laighing at the "even though a link is provided" bit.
>>
File: OvermanKingGainer22.jpg (382KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
OvermanKingGainer22.jpg
382KB, 1280x1024px
>>15313709
>implying they didn't both win
Like, just look at this nigga. This is the face of a man with two sets of lips on each side of his cock.
>>
Man, he really hates space elevators.
>>
File: 134578.jpg (3MB, 1395x9998px) Image search: [Google]
134578.jpg
3MB, 1395x9998px
>>
File: Untitled.png (403KB, 370x541px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
403KB, 370x541px
>>15313573
>>15313672
>forbes anime articles

not even once
>>
>>15313912
Wow you sure made a big difference by making Forbes go bankrupt with that capture!
>>
>>15313956
thanks
>>
>>15313956
your tears make it worth it

I thank god every day that I will never come close to being as sad, stupid, and just fucking pathetic as you are

god bless
>>
>>15313956
Hi Ollie Barder
>>
If he had a more younger target in his mind when he conceptualized G-Reco, he truly failed. Besides the unorthodox and experimental narration, the amount of political content makes it one of most complex series in the franchise.
>>
Fuck space elevators t.omino
>>
Turn A came out 18 years ago though
King Gainer and G-Reco all had the pieces to make an "outstanding" work
but had terrible pacing
He needs to make another 50 episode anime, but he's lazy
>>
>>15314068
That's just Tomino being self-deprecating. He's incredibly critical of his own work.
Just another reason why he's the best!
>>
>>15314068
What he needs is a designated successor (mainly, somebody that isn't childish like Fukuda is). I doubt that may happen even if he does get around to doing that new fantasy anime idea of his, though.
>>
File: mistake.png (140KB, 537x416px) Image search: [Google]
mistake.png
140KB, 537x416px
>>15313814
>I also met Mr. Hayao Miyazaki around this time and he really loved animation and how to approach mecha type stories.

>Miyazaki
>how to approach mecha type stories

Is he secretly one of us?
>>
>>15314114
>successor

He's had like 50 of them and they're all doing their own thing. Why would they ever bother going back?

Fukuda is more of a Tomino fanboy than a successor. Same goes for Urobuchi.
>>
>Overpopulation is a problem
>But muh Earth
>>
File: 0203_Gaia_Gear_radio_drama_CD.jpg (295KB, 771x699px) Image search: [Google]
0203_Gaia_Gear_radio_drama_CD.jpg
295KB, 771x699px
Make a Gaia Gear anime
>>
>>15314144
Sunrise is doing a good enough blowjob on Char already with the Origin, we don't need another wank-off show for him.
>>
>>15314068
I think 50 episodes tends to drag out too much. 3 cours is all you really need for a good, well paced Gundam story
>>
Tomino really doesn't like all those generic Marvel films they're pumping out nowadays. Wonder how things would've turned out if he went into the film industry instead of anime
>>
>>15314380
>Wonder how things would've turned out if he went into the film industry instead of anime

An even shittier version of BvS. It sounds tough but I'm sure Tomino could pull it off.
>>
>>15313811
>I felt the opposite way
Well you're retarded much like the kiddies from MAL and ANN
>>
>>15314385
>>>/a/
>>
>>15314400
Exactly the sort of response I was fishing for. Thanks, anon.

>"I like thing because ______"
>"I disagree because ______"
>"You're retarded"
>>
Tomino wants to cut Earth's population in half?
That's the kinda thing those dropping colonies villans do in the cartoons.
>>
>>15314422
Space colonization would help with that, but he seems to be against that as well.
>>
>>15314423
I know, I don't understand his logic.

The only way to reduce the population on Earth, and thus the burden on the planet, is colonizing space. Whether it's space colonies, or colonizing planets like Mars.
>>
Tomino confirmed 100% weirdo

He's fit in here
>>
>>15314126
I'm still waiting for Imagawa's space opera.
>>
>>15314435
No, it's sterilization.
>>
>>15314414
>I'm too stupid to follow something so its the director's fault

Sup ANN
>>
>>15314531
I never said I couldn't follow it, I said it was a mess. God damn, you virulent G-Reco apologists are a fucking disgrace. Somebody disliking the show is not a personal attack on you.

Every show has its flaws. Liking flawed things is okay. Disliking flawed things is also okay. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>15314422
He talked about it before in the Wings of Rean interviews.
>>
>Up until now, all the various recent Gundam series somehow target an audience older than teenagers. I don't think that is how it should be. In that sense, I tried to make Gundam Reconguista in G for younger people. I also think other directors that have worked on Gundam have even noticed this situation and that it was wrong. Animation is for young people, so with that in mind I made Gundam Reconguista in G. That means even though the story is about war, it is somewhat cheerful

Greco confirmed for retards and pedos
>>
>>15314544
>That means even though the story is about war, it is somewhat cheerful

Way to shit on all the work you've done the past 40 years you goddamn hack.
>>
>>15314435
more like he's worried about current state of consumption and economics and whether we would actually have enough resources to build space colonies that would help with population control.

just think of him as an overtly resource conscious strat player
>>
>>15313683
>I was disappointed they didn't mention really anything he did other than Gundam

Did you even read the article? They talk a lot about Dunbine and a bit about Overman King Gainer.
>>
>>15314516
Nobody wants that.
>>
>For example, I often think that to reduce the needlessly increased volume of humanity, we should rid the world of a hundred million people.

Here's a quote from over a decade ago
>>
>>15313573
Has anyone ever asked him this?
>Had Sayla's VA not been out of the country for Zeta, ZZ, and CCA, how would you have written her into the plot and what role would she have played between Amuro and Char?
>>
File: notsofast.jpg (28KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
notsofast.jpg
28KB, 640x427px
>>15313975
Wait why are you getting so impassioned?

Forbes murder your family or something?
>>
>>15313766
>G-rektum
you're a moron
>>
>>15314591
Building space colonies that would help with population control would be incredibly easy with good asteroid mining, we'd just need a space elevator or something similar to ship some earth shit up to put inside the finished colonies, but according to Tomino space elevators are useless because reasons even though they're the best way to get O'niell cylinders, which are the best way to deal with population growth.

Why is Tomino so wrong?
>>
>>15314797
I don't think he understands concepts like escape velocity, fuel, or even asteroid mining in general.

Why the fuck did Side 3 have any resource issues at all when there's rocks fucking everywhere loaded with useful shit? No, let's invade the bottom of a heavy-ass gravity well for shit.

Then again these are the same people that blew all their development budget on Mobile Armors that one teenager tore to shreds, so I don't know why I expect any sort of logic out of them.
>>
>>15314673
No one wants space colonies either
>>
>>15314797
> Why is Tomino so wrong?
Could be because he's an elderly dude who made cartoons for the past 40 years and doesn't actually know the first thing about technology.
>>
>>15314626
Sorry what I should have said is, I wish they talked about non-Gundam shows I care about.
>>
>>15314550
Hes slowly lost his mind

Sad
>>
>>15314845
>Why the fuck did Side 3 have any resource issues at all when there's rocks fucking everywhere loaded with useful shit? No, let's invade the bottom of a heavy-ass gravity well for shit.

Are you seriously fucking retarded? It takes a massive operation to begin asteroid mining, and it's not economical to pick a small one, nor are all asteroids high in metal content. The entire point of invading earth was because they can take over existing operations, which is exactly what happened. Zeon's attacks are aimed at capturing feddie resources not empty land.

Zeon already got resources from Axis, which was a resource asteroid but it was between Mars and Jupiter during the OYW so unless they had a bumper to bumper stream of ships delivering resources they'd never be able to match the federation, which controlled Luna II and all of Earth.
>>
>>15314673
It's the most economical and humane option. The populations of richer nations would never approve of building space colonies for 3rd worlders, and they wouldn't accept being forcefully displaced either. Massive social unrest would be a guarantee.

Sterilizing third worlders and the poor would actually be relatively easy since they'll accept anything in exchange for aid, and despite outcry against it the 1st world bourgeois wouldn't riot over it. Well, a handful would, but it'd be negligible.

Space colonies are a really dumb idea actually. If it's for the sake of exploring space then sure, but if you want to control the population the best way would simply be to control reproduction of the lower classes. This entire idea of establishing colonies is nothing but childish fantasy because no one would actually accept it unless we live in a post-scarcity society where no one would be affected by resources wasted building colonies, even then a lot of people would oppose it simply for perceived waste, as they often do. It's a fun idea but there's no practical purpose.
>>
>>15314872
Oh, you're just talking about sterilizing third worlders and poor people

That's actually a great idea. As cruel as it might sound, they really can't control themselves.
>>
>>15314883
Yeah, because the well-to-do typically opt out on their own. It'd be almost redundant to sterilize them.
>>
>>15314535
>I'm not stupid
>I'M NOT STUPID
>>
File: Batman_v_Superman_poster[1].jpg (124KB, 257x380px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_v_Superman_poster[1].jpg
124KB, 257x380px
Ok, so Tomino really loathes formulaic Marvel trash. How does he feel about capekino like BatNolan and pic related?
>>
>>15314923
Fuck off with your memes /tv/.
>>
>>15314923
Considering Batman was suffering from Tomino-tier autism, I'm sure he would've loved it.
>>
>>15314858
>It takes a massive operation to begin asteroid mining
So all that infrastructure that brought in Luna II and Fifth Luna disappeared into the fucking ether? Like the engines that move Axis or the colonies around? Moron.

It takes far less effort to bring smaller rocks and comet cores into orbit than you think with even half decent propulsion tech, especially compared to invading an ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET. It might take a little time, but compared to the 20 years Zeon spent with its collective thumb up its ass it could have pulled in more than enough resources for decades.
>>
>>15314152
>Sunrise is doing a good enough blowjob on Char already with the Origin
If by "good enough blowjob" you mean trying to destroy whatever dignity he had left.
>>
>>15314750
He never wrote her back in the novelizations either even though he could have.
>>
>>15314889
Different anon here, but you do know shitposters like you are the main reason nobody likes G-Reco outside of maybe /m/, right?

Going "WELL YOU'RE JUST TOO DUMB TO GET IT" is an awful way to defend a show.
>>
>>15315094
>but you do know shitposters like you are the main reason nobody likes G-Reco outside of maybe /m/, right?
Nobody likes G-Reco because Tomino insulted normies favorite anime AoT so its criticism doesn't even apply to G-Reco but attacking Tomino as a person hence why they didn't even try to follow it.

>Going "WELL YOU'RE JUST TOO DUMB TO GET IT" is an awful way to defend a show.
Not really, people are just that stupid.
>>
>>15315044
>Char
>dignity

That shipped sailed 30 years ago if the pedo jokes didn't already do it ago years prior.
>>
>>15313573
>Tomino Interview: "I haven’t produced an outstanding work for 20 years"

Typical Japanese modesty. Don't take it at face value.
>>
>>15315104
Dignity is not about looking cool. It's The Origin that decided that Char has to look cool.
>>
>>15313573
I can't even read the article because I'm European.
>>
File: fed.jpg (10KB, 200x246px) Image search: [Google]
fed.jpg
10KB, 200x246px
>>15315156
That's why we have >>15313912.

Also, you should invest some time into properly setting up your browser to get around shit like that. uBlock and such are always good additions, just don't fall for AdBlock... it was the first one but it sold out and doesn't block anyone who paid them.
>>
G-RECO MOVIE CONFIRMED!!!!
And he really hates Marvel movies.
>>
>>15313924
They have some dudes that are pretty well informed, I don't read reviews so no idea but their articles are well done.

I read some stuff about Bandai the other time, interviews and they were good, learned stuff like Saint Seiya being popular in Europe, China and Latin America but not in the US so they don't bother advertising and instead choose something like Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon, Gundam is the same apparently it's core fanbase is in Asia so they don't bother that much with different markets.

Then there's other stuff but my point being, there are good articles, just don't read reviews if those bother you.
>>
>“In regards to Gundam Reconguista in G, there isn't any particular hope and yet there is a hope, in that I wished the Blu-ray release was of the complete work. To explain, we made the TV series but it wasn't perfected in terms of the content. So the fact that the production couldn't stop to include the updated content in the Blu-ray version is something I found extremely frustrating. Even in my position as the originator and producer, I didn't have the power to stop it whereas someone like Mr. Miyazaki is able to do so on his work. I found that really sad. In that sense, that's why I am now working on the movie version but I can't really talk about that yet.

Hm, I wanted to watch G Reco but I see the movies are the way to go.
>>
>>15315250

Hate is an exaggeration. He doesn't like their production methodology of always producing similar products since he feels it's a limiting point of view. That's really all he says. Dislike is about the strongest thing you could pull from that, though ambivalence seems more likely.
>>
>>15315110

It appears to be that he's hyper critical and not that he's modest. Which I wouldn't characterise as typical Japanese or advise ignoring like he's really rather happy with them despite what he says.

Not that I think it matters, but I'd say it doesn't matter because you as a viewer can and should form your own opinion of a work, not echo or even be influenced by the creator's view of it or how good/successful it as opposed to because I think he's too socially conscious to admit to hus real feelings on something.
>>
>>15315336
Yes, of course he is pretty self-critical but that doesn't exclude the level of reasoning that is like
>even though I did my best, if they didn't like it, it must be because I just wasn't good enough
Didn't he say something like that about G-Reco: "I personally like it" i.e. "this is the way I envisioned it but I guess it could have been better".
>>
>>15315363

It doesn't exclude it, but it doesn't seem to be present or necessary to explain it either. If he's expressed satisfaction with any of his works, even slight and grudging, then I've not seen it at least.
>>
>>15313989
Yeah it was a work for Tomino nostalgists but with pretentions towards warning the younger generation. It is a message worth sending all the same.
>>
>>15314115
Not so secretly. The Wind Rises was his swansong
>>
>>15314134
Not mutually exclusive. It would require a complete economic and ideological revolution to be achieved though
>>
>>15314969
>So all that infrastructure that brought in Luna II and Fifth Luna disappeared into the fucking ether? Like the engines that move Axis or the colonies around? Moron.
That infrastructure never existed you retard. Luna II and Fifth Luna are old feddie resources. The entire point you're making is that Zeon had no resources compared to the federation and did stupid things to get resources, but you think Zeon is capable of the same large scale mining operations as the federation. You're making 0 sense you mong.

Axis didn't start moving until 2 years before the events of ZZ, that infrastructure literally didn't exist until after the OYW. The only one who had the resources during the OYW is the federation.

>>15314969
>It takes far less effort to bring smaller rocks and comet cores into orbit than you think with even half decent propulsion tech, especially compared to invading an ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET.
Demonstrably wrong since Zeon took over almost all of the major bases on Earth in under a year and restarted mining operations. A oneway trip to or from the asteroid belt alone is 2 years. And don't pretend you know anything about rocket science or astrophysics you fucking fraud. I'd like to see you explain them even moving Axis to earth in 2 years.

>>15314969
>It might take a little time, but compared to the 20 years Zeon spent with its collective thumb up its ass it could have pulled in more than enough resources for decades.
Char was an adolescent when his dad died you retard. Pay attention to the fucking show. The principality is only 8-10 years old. And Axis is a principality base, they're the ones who established it. So in reality Zeon did exactly what you're suggesting and it took them until 0086 to build those fucking engines to move the rock to Earth. Idiot. At a minimum Axis was around since 0076 since they were fueling the war effort and it takes 2 years to travel back from Axis's position. It took them 10 years to build those engines AT LEAST.
>>
>>15313672
Paul Tassi is worse.
>>
>>15315401

> Char was an adolescent when his dad died

Char was 9 when Deikun died, which isn't adolescence. Char was born in U.C. 0059 and his father died in U.C. 0068, which is 9 years.
>>
>>15314100
Honestly it's far better to be too self-critical than not enough.
>>
>>15315401
>That infrastructure never existed you retard.

You're the retard, here. A Bao A Qu, Solomon and Pezun were all Zeon resource asteroids before being turned into asteroid fortresses.
>>
>>15315563
Then what the fuck are you complaining about, they did exactly what you were complaining they didn't do!
>>
>>15313573
>Tomino is still working on the G-Reco movies
I thought it was someone else, but at least they're still happening.

>>15314356
>I think 50 episodes tends to drag out too much. 3 cours is all you really need for a good, well paced Gundam story
Pretty much this. Turn A somehow found a sweet spot, but that's thanks to the filler episodes shying away from weekly toy fights and instead focusing on character shenanigans - I wish more Gundam series would get that instead of feeling a constant need to push toys.

>>15314144
Has any interviewer asked him about that recently? The only thing I can recall him saying was that Sunrise doesn't really care to acknowledge it or whatever, but that interview is from the time of Turn A.
>>
>>15316250

Tomino doesn't seem to care too much about any of his work for long past the point of completing it, so I doubt he'd feel strongly about Gaia Gear if he was asked about it. He's done novels of a few works, but only in the year or so after they were done. Even the Zeta movies were made because Sunrise asked him to make them going by interview.

Not to say that he forgets them or has no feelings, but I just doubt he's broken up about the fact one didn't get an anime or whatever. He probably views it as a positive if anything, since he probably did it as novels and a radio drama specifically because he could do things with that format that are either impossible otlr unacceptable in an animation with the higher cost of production, larger staff etc.
>>
>>15316278
Yep the man seems like a pragmatist
>>
>>15315401

Also, Zeon wants people off the earth as a matter of ideological purity. If you were to make a new island to the Palestinians in the middle of the ocean, they wouldn't give up wanting their land even if you gave them good new land, because it would be giving up.
>>
>>15313788
>>15313795
>>15313804
>>15313814
>>15313821
>>15313826
>>15313834
>>15313841
>>15313912

Uhh..

What is it people don't like about G Reco again?

I thought he was trying to bridge the gap between the end of the Universal Century and the beginning of the Correct Century with it.
>>
>>15313672
>If you do this one silly random thing you're one of them!

Why are americans so silly?
>>
>>15313814
Why does he start shitting on Marvel out of nowhere?
>>
>>15316960
You thought completely wrong. G-Reco is 500 years after Turn A according to Tomino himself. Around 2735 CC, or 12,735UC.
>>
>>15317002

Then I've been hearing wrong, as I've read that it's theorized that a space elevator's remnants found in the Correct Century's Earth is thought to be the remnants of Capitol Tower.
>>
>>15317002
Pretty sure it was suppose to be before Turn A but Tomino went senile and changed it.
>>
>>15316998
He's not, he's just saying directors shouldn't pigeonhole themselves to one genre and should try to experience lots of different things.

>>15317010
There's lots of things pointing to it being either way. Since Tomino's TV series and movies (bar ANT) follow a progressing timeline, and because G-Reco seems to feature many of the factions of Turn A along with a "recovering" world etc etc I'd say it's a fair bet that it most likely takes place after Turn A.

When Tomino said G-Reco was "the end of UC" way back you could interpret that as meaning his UC/CC timeline.

I'm disappointed no one has asked for further clarity on this, but I suspect Tomino's enjoying messing with people.
>>
>>15313573
G-reco fags BTFO
>>
>>15317010
>theorized
By people who want the timeline to be UC->RC->CC and write the non-Tomino shows out of the Black History. And you have to ignore a lot of things that Tomino himself wrote in order to make that work.
It *is* true that in G-Reco they refer to that one space colony as having a two thousand year history including the Universal Century. That doesn't add up with Turn A stating that the events of Turn A are around 10,000UC. That's one of the elements that caused people to assume that G-Reco was between UC and CC. The other is that interviewers talking to Tomino early in production asked if it would be UC like all the rest of Tomino's Gundam shows (except Turn A) and were told that G-Reco was after the end of UC. When asked what happened at the end of UC, Tomino just kind of dodged the question and said he didn't know. Some people took "after the end" to mean immediately after, and that's how the theory happened.
>>
>>15317225

Then where is this business about Tomino stating that Regild Century is 500 years after the Universal Century and that the Correct Century is 500 years after the Regild Century coming from then?
>>
>>15317238
Nowhere.
He said that G-Reco was 500 years after Turn A. And that was during an interview after the show had concluded.
Whoever is telling you that Tomino said RC is 500 years after UC and CC is 500 years after RC is either remembering the above statement incorrectly or just lying.
In the Turn A series it is plainly stated that "This 'Universal Century' began a little over 10,000 years ago" (Lily Borjarnon) and "The Black History occurred two thousand years ago" (narrator, referring to the Moonlight Butterfly) mean that any theory putting Turn A only 1000 years after UC can only come from people who didn't actually watch Turn A.

Although I'm told that the Turn A film changes this and says that the Universal Century was 5,000 years ago and not 10,000, but I haven't actually watched those films so I don't know if that's even true.
>>
>>15316250
> I wish more Gundam series would get that instead of feeling a constant need to push toys.
b-but IBO
>>
>>15317261

The films do change the time frames, for no apparent reason. Also, I'm pretty sure the "G-Reco takes place before Turn-A" sentiment came from a number of things, one of which was a preview image for G-Reco with information on the factions, setting etc released before the show aired including that it was the case. Which was put down to Sunrise presumption or staff error.

A lot of people also viewed Turn-A as "the final Gundam story", rightly or wrongly, and so presumed G-Reco took place before it. Even the host for the interview in question was surprised it was G-Reco taking place later. Tomino never discussed it with most people during production, so people formed their own opinion.

Regardless, I don't think Tomino really cares personally, since even in the same interview he invited people to make up their own mind.
>>
>>15313573
>not asking what he thinks of all the Gundam series not done by him so we can get a definitive answer if he hates them or not.
Well at least we know he doesn't like Super Robot Wars on principle of video games.
>>
>>15317261
He said RC was about 1,000 years after UC, and RC occurs about 500 years after CC.

>>15317456
Well, it's been said that G-Reco takes place in Regild Century 1014, which is 1,014 years after the Universal Century.

I don't think either the original timeline proposed (UC -> RC -> CC) or Tomino's timeline (UC -> CC -> RC) work though. The presence of the Moonlight Butterfly negates the former and the presence of UC mobile suits that haven't been turned to dust invalidates the latter. My advice? Just don't think about it.
>>
>“The idea that we need to escape the Earth due to environmental pollution is just science fiction. I suppose this might be a quite shocking remark to make but the solution should be to stop the human population from growing any further and find some way to reduce it by at least half over a period of time. We need to re-organise and plan our civilisation to use the available natural resources on the planet for the next ten thousand years or so. I'd almost say that capitalism in its current form shouldn't be really allowed. I believe the modern world is a miserable result of the entire world focusing only about the economy.”

Yep, that's Tomino all right.
>>
Ollie Barder. Yeah, his interviews are pulled out of his ass and fabricated. He doesn't have connections to get these interviews.
>>
>>15317691
>Yeah, his interviews are pulled out of his ass and fabricated.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>15313725
>I've recently caught a cold as well
NO NOT YET TOMINO PLEASE NO
>>
>>15317723
Prove otherwise.
>>
>>15313573
>I haven’t produced an outstanding work for 20 years

Turn-A confirmed shit. V Gundam confirmed masterpiece.
>>
I feel for Tomino. In all his interviews he comes off as this man who really wants to properly depict human relationship in fiction but feels he's done a poor work. I think he might have some personality dissorder that makes it hard for him to understand people, that might explain the strange ways his characters behave in and his obsession with UNDERSTANDING
>>
File: 34543.png (51KB, 1218x306px) Image search: [Google]
34543.png
51KB, 1218x306px
>>15317799
>internet message board faggot

is he some known personality, or something?
>>
>>15317810
Some shit poster that spamed /m/ with
>I'm depressed
and pushed the bearguy shitposting.
>>
>>15317758
The claim was yours, burden of proof is on you, shitposter.
>>
>>15315235
>War in the Pocket
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>15315295
Just go watch it, he's probably working on the assumption that those who'll go watch the movie are those who already watched the TV series.
>>
>>15317262
Talking head rambling about their feeling for a full 20 minutes is far away from any character shenanigans.
>>
>>15314923
>kino
WHY ISNT THIS A BANNABLE OFFENSE YET JESUS CHRIST just die already you newfaggot
Also, he specifically said he didn't hate their films. Typical shitposter can only think in B&W
>>>/tv/
And before you start pulling some /v/ tier faggotry, Dark Knight is literally the only DC film I've seen that isn't from the 80s
>>
>>15315048
>He never wrote her back in the novelizations either even though he could have.
That's really strange. Were Amuro and Sayla not as official as we were made to believe in the original? Why wouldn't he add her if he could have?
>>
>>15317552
>He said
SOURCE.
>>
>>15318151
I guess the whole "everyone is depressed and ineffectual" ties in with the whole mommy issues thing better.
>>
>>15318179
https://nekketsunikki.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/tomino-said-g-reco-takes-place-around-500-years-after-turn-a/
>>
>>15318194
That's actually pretty stupid, since Turn A takes place TWO thousand years after the Moonlight Butterfly, to say that it's ONE thousand years after UC. And since the Universal Century starts in the 21st century AD, that would mean the Moonlight Butterfly happened around 1000AD-1400AD and that's just fucktarded.
>>
>>15318211
>And since the Universal Century starts in the 21st century AD
You don't actually think this do you?
>>
>>15318216
Ricardo Marcenas, the guy who announced the beginning of the Universal Century, was born in 1983. He was 62 when he announced the start of UC.
You do the math.
>>
>>15317680
Well, it's true.
>>
>>15317792
I understand the desire to focus on the man himself, but it is both a pretty universal theme, the one he made his name with and something with countless real world examples. The need to pathologise does not really lead to greater mutual understanding
>>
>>15317792
Or maybe you are the one that has a personality disorder that makes it hard for you to understand people. Have you considered this possibility?
>>
>>15318389

It isn't really, because saying it's true implies it's a matter of fact when that solution is a matter of opinion, not fact. You can agree with it, but it's not true.
>>
>>15318739
Whether humanity should progress beyond Earth at this point is a matter of opinion and opportunity.
But saying it's OK to continue expanding at our own pace regardless of the resouces we currently have because scientist are sure to think about some sort of solution in near future, r-right? is just stupid.
When you consider the solution of a problem you should depend on the means that you currently have, not on the means you might have in the future.
>>
>>15317792
His works show pretty clear that he is dislikes humans in general.
His lack of understanding human emotions most likely comes from the lack of proper communications with actual human beings during his youth.
He's similar to many other artists in that regard.
>>
>>15318779
>His works show pretty clear that he is dislikes humans in general.
How in the world did you come to such a conclusion? Maybe you are not the exactly the right person to claim that other people don't understand human emotions.
>>
>>15317261
What I don't understand is how can G-Reco be 500 years after Turn A if G-Reco happens during year 1014 of RC? Does this mean the first 500 years of RC overlapped with the last 500 years of CC? That makes zero sense.
>>
>>15318779
>most likely comes from the lack of proper communications with actual human beings during his youth
I didn't know Tomino was raised by wolves.
>>
>>15318893
Don't be silly. He's an alien, not Romulus.
>>
>>15313573

Well, he isn't wrong...
>>
>>15318908
It was an alien conspiracy all along.
Artists were actually raised by aliens. All scholars who praise those artists for their masterful understanding of the intricacies of the human heart are alien agent provocateurs that are trying to brainwash us. People who consume their art get infected with alien brain disease that turns them into alien drones.
Anon is one of the last remnants of the pure human race and as such he has the power to scan with his space ripper stingy eyes right in to the depths of people's souls and tell apart real humans from non-human zombie aliens. Now the salvation of the pure human race rests entirely in his hands!

Anime when?
>>
>>15317552

Does Turn A or Tomino himself ever address what became of the Martian settlements or Jovian colonies?
>>
>>15319459
Fucked off into the wider galaxy, as I recall.
>>
>>15318831

I'm sure they'll rationale it somehow.
>>
File: 1448826699111.jpg (5KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1448826699111.jpg
5KB, 225x224px
>muh overpopulation
Does Tomino not know that all that "overpopulation" is happening in Africa because all those ooga booga savages keep having ten kids for every dollar civilized countries give them? Meanwhile, all the human nations are experiencing a population decline in which the old outnumber the young.
>>
>>15317552

Well, does that mean the "Ameria" seen in G-Reco is the re-unified on seen in Turn A?
>>
>>15319952
All countries have their distribution problems. And just because they're African it doesn't mean they are not important
>>
>>15320085
Oh yes, I forgot, we need them to enrich our culture with AIDS, voodoo and genital mutilation.
>>
>>15319952
>It's not a problem if it happens in Africa
I wonder if the Asians ever felt thankful about being far away from western Europe.
>>
>>15318831
What's the problem? Are you not aware that there was never any time when people called the date "500AD"? The switch from Diocletian Era to Anno Domini happened in 247DE and went straight into 532AD. The calendar used in G-Reco counts from some unspecified date in CC's 1800's, which we already know from Lily Borjarnon's dialogue in Turn A to have been an era of naval warfare, meaning it was probably expansionist imperialism that began the process of returning to globalization. There's nothing unusual about a calendar change counting from some long past event that is now considered "the beginning of _____".
>>
>>15319952
Overpopulation is observed in communities were the life standards are low. It's not a matter of nationality. As everything else its about economics.
>>
File: norman+borlaug.jpg (137KB, 953x604px) Image search: [Google]
norman+borlaug.jpg
137KB, 953x604px
>>15319952
he saved billions of lives, but here you are crying
>>
File: table1.gif (49KB, 752x366px) Image search: [Google]
table1.gif
49KB, 752x366px
>>15320085
>>15320101
And yet, whites are having less because they have the standards the 3rd worlders do not, regardless of the fact that their economic standing keeps lowering from what it once was.
>>
>>15313573
Just shows how much of a genius work G-reco is, it was made to appeal to everyone and to be thought provoking unlike the cheap, violent entertainment for edgelords that IBO is
>>
>>15320489
>entertainment
>IBO
Pick one.
>>
>>15320489
Watching IBO, it feels like the thing was made for people who enjoyed the tone and tedium of the SnK show.
>>
>>15313573
i wish he said that pedo joke with miyazaki
>>
>>15314850
i wished they talk about a lot of things
>>
>>15313907
he hates everything especially old people
>>
>>15314115
fuck that old fart
>>
>>15314422
wasn't there a other interview of him saying the same thing?
>>
>>15314544
I like how he doesn't cater to manchilds
>>
>>15315303
this tomino doesn't hate he just dislikes
>>
>>15317680
KILL EM ALL TOMINO
>>
>>15317792
really makes me think
>>
>>15317792
He understands humans perfectly well if you observe his work.

I think he's more just upset about how his Gundam stuff after Zeta went. CCA was a piss poor conclusion to the entire arc, and ZZ was just the bastard-child of CCA. He says he was trying to make the anime rendition of understanding humanity, but it was ruined by studio meddling and his own insecurities.
>>
>>15322059

They should make another sequel to Zeta. Start UC fresh from that point. Give Char a non-shitty ending.
>>
>>15322099
See
>>15314144
CCA is fine though. I don't know if it's a good conclusion or bad but I think on it's own it's one of the best things the ever wrote or directed.
>>
>>15315563
>A Bao A Qu, Solomon and Pezun
source? I thought they were all Feddie Bases that Zeon took in the opening stages of the war
>>
>>15317780
His latest work before 1997 (20 years ago) was Garzey's Wing in 1996. Garzey's WIng is obviously Tomino's last great work, Gundamfag
>>
>>15317810
>>15322280
What if DuelGundam2099 was really Tomino the whole time?
>>
File: Sayla.Mass.full.427601.jpg (251KB, 979x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Sayla.Mass.full.427601.jpg
251KB, 979x1600px
>>15313573
I want to know why this man never allowed Amuro to happy with any woman in any of his series. Every girl Amuro ever liked he either conveniently lost interest in or ended up dead. That's completely fucking unrealistic.
>>
>>15322329

The board was swamped in shitposting well before 4 years ago.

>>15322341

> never able to find happiness with any one woman and has commitment problems
> unrealistic

That's about the most real thing in Gundam. It's not a problem every one experiences, but a war vet with a history of PTSD and emotional problems having relationship issues is completely realistic.
>>
>>15322329
>This fucker legitimately scares me, he almost single handedly gave birth to a new wave of shitposting we've been seeing the past 4 fucking years. /m/ always says "just ignore him", but this is an instance where ignoring made things worse, he got busy, undermined us, and this place turned into such a shithole the mods don't even bother enforcing rules.
But I enjoy this form of /m/
>>
>>15322460
It's not like he loves a woman and you see the relationship break down over time. It either gets swept under the rug in the next series or they die.
>>
>>15322472

On the other hand he never seems particularly committed to or in love with any of them. There's scenes of him that suggest distance for all of them, like dreaming of Lalah and then leaving Chan waiting outside his room for ages because he can't let that go and needs time alone to process it.
>>
>>15322468
I do too, I just don't want to wake up in a juggalo pit.
>>
>>15322460
>That's about the most real thing in Gundam. It's not a problem every one experiences, but a war vet with a history of PTSD and emotional problems having relationship issues is completely realistic.
I like to think that if Amuro had lived he'd have gone on to become another Monsha.
>>
>>15322329
>wrote up our 1d4chan article
There shouldn't even be a 1d4chan article about /m/. 1d4chan is a /tg/ thing.
>>
>>15322504
>1d4chan is a reddit thing
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>15322341

Well, it's mentioned Tomino's original plan for Amuro was to have him marry someone and start a family.

However, it's said that Bandai didn't enjoy the idea of the protagonist being a family man so Chan Agni became his love interest and wound up getting waxed.

Quite frankly, the Gundam Tomino envisioned and the one we see today are likely drastically different due to meddling from one party or another.
>>
>>15322486
>>15322486
>he never seems particularly committed to or in love with any of them.
He seemed oddly committed to Chen. To me it looked like she won the Amurobowl despite the Lala memories. Which is a shame because she was the most inferior of all the girls to be honest.
>>
>>15322528
>Well, it's mentioned Tomino's original plan for Amuro was to have him marry someone and start a family.
When was "family man" Amuro supposed to start? The end of MSG or Zeta?
>>
>>15322528
>Well, it's mentioned Tomino's original plan for Amuro was to have him marry someone and start a family.
>marry someone
Which someone? Was it ever said?
>>
>>15322544
ur mum
>>
>>15322528
Not exactly.

Tomino was writing Hi-Streamers at the time and Sunrise approached him about adapting the books. The movie ended up being based on Hi-streamers even though Tomino wrote another story, Beltorchika's children, specifically for the film. Sunrise rejected the new story for whatever reason, probably because they were already planning out an adaptation of Hi-Streamers before they even asked him. Tomino later adapted Beltorchika's Children into the novel, from which the famous Hi-Nu was spawned.

So Tomino's original plan is basically the movie, but he wanted to change it which Sunrise didn't accept.
>>
>>15322546
That would be cool.
>>
>>15322544
If the MSG novel is anything to go by, I would like of think Sayla. Also, had her VA not been out of the country, it's very possible her character would have been in Zeta and CCA.

I wish Tomino could re-write MSG and it's sequels exactly the way he wanted them to be and then just have sunrise animate that.
>>
>>15322563
>exactly the way he wanted them to be
I wish this meme could die. It's not like he had some grand scheme that the producers kept interfering with.
Ideas are fluid. He didn't have some sort of finished masterpiece in mind that never came to be but a bunch of archetypal plots and characters that he kept evolving and playing around with in all of his works.
Whaterver spin he chose to gave to this or that story wouldn't affect its meaning in any way so why does it matter to you so much what happens?
>>
>>15322539
>>15322544
>>15322548

Supposedly:

> Tomino's original plan involved protagonist Amuro Ray being married to Beltorchika Irma (his Love Interest in Zeta Gundam) and expecting their first child. Bandai reportedly didn't like the idea of the franchise's main hero being married or a father, which resulted in Beltorchika being replaced by Chein Agi, a Girl of the Week character who ends up getting
killed late in the film.

Or that's what I read somewhere.

Not sure how true it is though.
>>
>even tomino thinks newtypes were a mistake
kek

>>15321917
Truly, he has become what he hated.
>>
>>15322528
>>15322548

To elaborate, in the original Hi-Streamer novel, Amuro broke up with Beltorchika, hence Chan. When Tomino got to adapting Hi-Streamer into Char's Counterattack, he wanted Amuro married to Beltorchika, but Sunrise opposed it.

Source:

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16150&start=20#p362922

>>There's not really any more news out of Char for the next bit - it's all concerned with the Londo Bell getting its act together. Amuro is reunited with his old friend Bright, who's been transferred from his previous post as a Garuda captain, and they catch up on each other's relationship news (Mirai and the kids are still on Earth, Amuro and Beltorchika split up, etc). Bright explains that they have a patron in the high ranks of the Federation - the aforementioned John Bauer, who pushed through the mass production of the Jegan.
>>
All this talk about Amuro's love interests is confusing as fuck.

We all know the original writer's vision almost never gets fully realized in any entertainment production. It's pretty much a rare occurrence when it does and we know that - in the case of MSG - it's at least partially true, based on the information about the MSG compilation movies where Tomino "Took out many of the 'super robot' aspects" from the TV show.

So, knowing this, you would think it's safe to assume that the MGS novel - which he had more control over - would have been truer to his vision of what MSG should have been (Where Amuro and Sayla are canon and he tragically dies).

Now I'm not overly familiar on the background history of this franchise but that would heavily indicate he intended for MGS to be stand alone and wasn't prepared for Zeta. And that every other woman who came after was mostly a stand in because her VA was gone and therefore couldn't write Sayla into the storyline.

However, I heard that the manga - which I haven't gotten to read yet - heavily contradicts this idea since they don't get together in that either.

And on a similar topic, why would Tomino create a completely new love interest for Amuro anyway when he could have just as easily had him end up with Fra Bow; A character who all the fans knew about already, was with Amuro through all his trials and struggles, and who Amuro himself was 'heavily' flirting with in anyway? Why not go all the way with her instead of some new woman?

And if this >>15313725 has any truth to it, it seems like the company basically didn't want Amuro (or Char for that matter) to ever settle down because that wouldn't leave them free to be plucked out of a peaceful existence to clash dicks with eachother. Although, this also makes me wonder why Chen was created at all. I mean, CCA could have gone on just fine without Amuro having to be in love with her.
>>
I feel like everytime Amuro fell for a girl, they were completely inferior to the last chick he fell for.
>>
>>15324868
>people who don't even vaguely grasp Tomino's thematic core complain about thematic consistency
>>
G-Recucks BTFO
>>
>>15313573
>unicorn

WTF TOMINO?
>>
>>15324895
>Mistakes confusion for complaining
You can't even comprehend simple context and tone in a sentence and you're bitching at others about "thematic core?" Kindly fuck off.
>>
>>15324924
Your post makes me comprehend that you think you know better how the story should have gone and that if it didn't go that way it must be surely because of the big bad producers.
>>
>>15324937
Do you just go around inferring the worst in everyone's posts? Is that fun for you or something?
>>
>>15324222
>in the original Hi-Streamer novel, Amuro broke up with Beltorchika, hence Chan.
Why have Chen at all though? Amuro not allowed to be single or something?
>>
>>15324948
I am not inferring the worst. If there is any epithet that bothers you just ignore it. I am free to have my own feelings but they are not the subject of our discussion. I could have tried to phrase my post in a way that does not offend your sensibilities but that is the gist of what you said even if you are not aware of it and there is nothing wrong with that. Essentially I am simply pointing that you (and the rest of the people in this thread that were discussing this topic) your failure to comprehend why the story is the way it is is probably the result of failing to understand its significance, which seems to be an intuitive enough of a deduction.
I believe I have a good reason to disagree with your (and other people's) tentative conjecture that your failure to comprehend the story might be owing to factors that are outside of yourself, like for example incompetent writing (you did not say it but some would) or production imperatives that went against the authorial intent, from which the hints of annoyance in my posts might stem. For the latter I beg to be excused.
>>
>>15325034
There are many themes in MSG but the romantic aspects of the stories mostly supports the idea that, between what Tomino may have wanted and what the studio decided to go with, was born an incredibly amount of inconsistency and confusion.

This >>15324222 basically proves some of my point already. Tomino wanted to make things closer to reality and have him settle down after all this shit but Sunrise said no.

Having five different women fall in love with your MC over the course of his lifetime, only to have them arbitrarily leave center stage or end up dead because reasons, heavily brakes suspension of disbelief. And to quote you, I don't think the "thematic core" of a show should trump the "thematic consistency," and shouldn't be used to justify breaking suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>15325078
>"thematic core" of a show should trump the "thematic consistency,"
How could sticking to the thematic core of the show possibly break the thematic consistency. Do you mean "narrative consistency"?
Still I don't see how any of what you mentioned breaks suspension of disbelief and how the post you quoted proves it.
>>
>>15324868
So basically, you want to know which girl Tomino wanted for Amuro's one true love? I don't think any of us will ever really know anon.
>>
>>15325135
In the first place the concept of "one true love" is so misguided and juvenile.
>>
>>15325150
Wow, you're really a pretentious patronising self-important cunt aren't you. "One true love" just means the girl Tomino would have wanted Amuro to settle down with the most. But you know that already and just want to play the semantics game.

Please fuck off and try not to trip on your own ego as you leave.
>>
>>15325193
What semantics game?
Why would Tomino give a damn about who Amuro settles down with? Why would Tomino "want" Amuro to settle down with one girl more than with any other? Why should it mean anything to him? Why should it mean anything to you?
>>
>>15325150
Pretty much this.
>>
>>15325247
>Why would Tomino give a damn about who Amuro settles down with? Why would Tomino "want" Amuro to settle down with one girl more than with any other? Why should it mean anything to him?

>>15324222
Because Tomino was obviously going to do it and Sunrise said no. But we don't know if Tomino chose Beltorchika because that's what he really wanted or because because Sayla's voice actor wasn't available.

>Why should it mean anything to you?
Why does it bother you that someone is asking these questions? Why do you go out of your way to answer like a cunt? Why do you pretend to be better than everyone else in this thread?
>>
Haven't anyone here read the japanese side-material? It's actually stated that the Space Colony program wasn't started as gentrification - in fact, the brightest minds of Earth volunteered to build the first colonies (long before Laplace Incident.)

And about Amuro's love interest... Still butthurt about him not getting Sayla.
>>
>>15313573
but G-Reco and King Gainer and Turn A Gundam are better than his early works. Tomino actually understands how to make a fun entertainment as he gets older
>>
>>15325317
He's just using flowery language to be a baiting shitlord at this point.
>>
>>15325317
He chose Beltorchika because she was Amuro's girlfriend form Zeta and CCA is set after Zeta.

Your deduction that he was going to include her in the novel because he wanted Amuro to be settled down is wrong and in truth Amuro is not settled down in any of the iterations of the story, that particular novel included, to say nothing of the fact being settled down would go against the central conflict of the story which would make the telling of such a story completely meaningless in the first place.
In fact he included her because he wanted a character to be pregnant because magical fetuses are awesome.
But even if we guess he included her because he wanted Amuro to be settled down this would be necessary to serve the ends of whatever story he was trying to tell at the time and not for any self- or audience-indulgent wish-fulfilling purposes.

It bothers me when people are asking such questions because it exposes a complacent consumerism. I go out of my way to answer like a cunt because I don't want you to be a complacent consumerist because I don't want to live in a world of complacent consumerists. You feel that I am a cunt that pretends to be better than other people because I react with moral outrage to what you consider to be just innocent fun and you feel morally outraged that I could consider anything a jolly fellow like you says or does anything but completely and perfectly worthy of approval.
>>
>>15325434
>He chose Beltorchika because she was Amuro's girlfriend form Zeta and CCA is set after Zeta.
This answer obviously means you didn't even understand any of anon's question. The idea he's trying to present is that Sayla's VA was gone during the events of Zeta, therefore Tomino made Beltorchika as a standin love interest for Amuro. That's one of the things he asking about. I don't know why this is so hard for you.

>Your deduction
It wasn't a deduction. It was going off another post.

>But even if we guess he included her because he wanted Amuro to be settled down this would be necessary to serve the ends of whatever story he was trying to tell at the time and not for any self- or audience-indulgent wish-fulfilling purposes.
How is any of this relevant. Some people are just cureous on who Tomino would pick as a life partner for someone like Amuro. His character has been through a lifetime of war and strife and I'm certainly interested to know who he would pick and why. Or if he would pick any of them for that matter. That would be just as interesting to me. I don't even know why this bothers you so fucking much.

>I go out of my way to answer like a cunt because I don't want you to be a complacent consumerist because I don't want to live in a world of complacent consumerists.
Wait what? How the fuck does consumerism relevant to this conversation?
>>
>>15326005
>>15326005
>This answer obviously means you didn't even understand any of anon's question.
Quoted text was:
>When Tomino got to adapting Hi-Streamer into Char's Counterattack, he wanted Amuro married to Beltorchika, but Sunrise opposed it.
Obviously referencing CCA.
Then the post went:
>Because Tomino was obviously going to do it and Sunrise said no.
Obviously referencing CCA.
And then:
>But we don't know if Tomino chose Beltorchika because that's what he really wanted or because because Sayla's voice actor wasn't available.
Referencing what?
I am sorry for taking the pains to answer a non sequitur. That most certainly invalidates all of my opinions.

Considering that Sayla was one of the main characters in MSG it's very likely that she would have been written back into the sequel. What would have happened with the story then is a matter of speculation. One thing you can be sure of is that her role wouldn't be to make the audience rest assured that Amuro can now live happily ever after.
Who he would "pick"? Are you fucking kidding me? How exactly do you think this works? Please don't make me resort to the underage virgin argument. And on top of it you ask me what consumerism has to do with it? Consumerism is believing that the story should vindicate the character you like and that romance is written in the story to be a reward for the character you like for their efforts. You don't pick, you dummy. You make do with whatever you have.
>>
The Reconguista movies are going to be the good Gundam movies
>>
>>15326654

What are they going to involve exactly?
>>
>>15326680
the absence of newtypes and dumb characters
>>
>>15326691

>dumb characters

You say that as if stupidity isn't abundant in Reco.
>>
>>15326715
Not much compared to Zeta and CCA
>>
>>15326721

One might argue that's likely due to G Reco lacking as much substance as Zeta and CCA.
>>
>>15326691
>dumb characters

It's a Reconguista compilation movie.
>>
>>15326691

Didn't Bellri develop low level newtype powers? There were a few other newtypes in G-Reco too. Them being newtypes didn't really matter, but they still were. And there's likely to be some newtype stuff in the movies given it was in the show.
>>
File: wCYJKHe.png (476KB, 633x620px) Image search: [Google]
wCYJKHe.png
476KB, 633x620px
>>15326358
>Consumerism is believing that the story should vindicate the character you like and that romance is written in the story to be a reward for the character you like for their efforts.
I like watching characters who struggle side by side and bring out the best in one another end up together like two parts of an amazing puzzle. It has nothing to do with "reward", It's a musical baled involving two people that eventually works itself up to a perfect crescendo: that's how I see it.

All I wanted to know was which of Amuro's love interest Tomino thinks did that the best and why. And quite frankly, it would interest me just as much if he thought none of his love interests did that for him. Either way I would learn a lot of background information about what Tomino thinks of certain characters and their internal thoughts about one another, or at least what he thinks they are/should have been. That is fascinating to me.

Also, I've already mentioned how Amuro's love interests being written off or dying brakes suspension of disbelief and doesn't make sense narratively. Whether you agree with me or not is irrelevant..The point is that I'm cureous to know the story behind it all. I think it's obvious that things happened and decisions were made beyond Tomino control and what we have today is the result. The entertainment industry does it all the time. And no, I'm not inferring that somehow makes Sunrise an"evil" company. Decisions are made for many reasons. I'm just interested to know what they were and why.

Finally, your incessant and overly dramatic anger and revolution about this topic is so extreme and absurd that's it's fucking laughable and rather pathetic at this point. I hope you take your holier-than-thou cunt rantings about "consumerism" to some OTP thread in /a/. I'm sure they'll just love it when you start patronising them about every little thing they have to say.
>>
>>15326730
Just like modern sabre rattling...
>>
>>15326755
Status: nothing learned. Not that I expected better but it is actually getting worse and worse.
I'll try to be as clear as I can but if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask:
There are no parts of an amazing puzzle, there is no amazing puzzle, there is no musical ballet(?), there is no perfect crescendo, there is no perfect. The purpose of fiction is not to indulge your overly-simplistic self-absorbed ideas about romance.
There is no love interest that Tomino thought was the best, there is no love interest that Amuro though was the best, there is no love interest that was the best, there are no love interests that are the best.
If you wait all of your life for someone to "do it" for you you are going to die alone.
Amuro's internal thoughts are that he would go for anyone with boobs that is willing to have him. There is no girl that is inherently better for him.
The mindset that there must be someone out there that is just for you is an unconscious expression of your inner insecurities. The purpose of fiction is not to cater to your insecurities.
I don't see how any of Amuro's love interests breaks suspension of disbelief from a narrative perspective nor have you given any evidence for that. If you feel that your suspension of disbelief was broken it's because you had unrealistic beliefs in the first place.
No decisions that were made by Sunrise changed in any way the characterization or the intent of the story.
>>
>>15328252
>Status: nothing learned.
Obviously because your head is shoved too far up your own ass
>Not that I expected better but it is actually getting worse and worse.
You certainly are.
>There is no love interest that Tomino thought was the best, there is no love interest that Amuro though was the best, there is no love interest that was the best, there are no love interests that are the best.
I'm glad you know Tomuno so personally. Are you two best friends? Oh wait, it's because you know everything about Gundam better than everyone else. I forgot.
>Amuro's internal thoughts are that he would go for anyone with boobs that is willing to have him. There is no girl that is inherently better for him.
So not only is Tomino a personal friend of yours but you know the mindset of his characters too.
>The mindset that there must be someone out there that is just for you
Not "just for you", just the "best" with you. The person that helps you be the best version of yourself. But you wouldn't know anything about that.
>is an unconscious expression of your inner insecurities. The purpose of fiction is not to cater to your insecurities.
I finally understand why this topic makes you so insufferably asspained. You're hard core projecting. I'm sorry you're so dead inside to think that love/romance is "juvenile and misguided," But kindly refrain from extending 'your' inner insecurities onto others. No one cares what you're pseudo intellectualism or how 'you' feel about romance in Gundam.
>If you feel that your suspension of disbelief was broken it's because you had unrealistic beliefs.
A woman will be in his life in one series and gone the next, sometimes without explanation, or they just wind up dead. That isn't realistic.
>If you believe A it's wrong because you're wrong and I say so.
Its funny how you put yourself on a pedestal when you're arguments are the same as every other faggots.
>>
>>15328338
>love/romance is "juvenile and misguided,"
Romance is not juvenile and misguided. The concept that there is a person that is just the "best" with you is.
>>
>>15313672
>le hitler ate sugar fallacy
>>
>>15328401
disagree, there will always be someone who brings out the best in you more than others. That person would obviously be the best for you. And this doesn't just apply to romance either. This can apply to teachers, friends, and whoever else crosses your life path.

Quite frankly (if you're even that anon) neither of us are going to change our viewpoints so there's really no point in going on with this debate.

Pic unrelated
>>
File: 41837.jpg (27KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
41837.jpg
27KB, 225x350px
New Ishikawa Interview: "I haven’t been alive for 10 years"
>>
>>15328338
>It's because you know everything about Gundam better than everyone else and you know the mindset of his characters too.
I've watched the show. It helps. I told you to ask if you have questions.
>You're hard core projecting
Of course. Just like you. Why else would we be arguing?
Don't get offended about this inner insecurities thing. Everyone has them. That is just normal and if you want to grow into a well adjusted adult you have to learn to accept them as something normal. Having unrealistic expectations is bad for everyone.
Let's give an example from the show:
Fraw liked Amuro and he liked her but he was too busy struggling with his feelings of inferiority because of his neglected childhood and felt misunderstood which made Fraw believe that Amuro has moved way past her and is completely out of her league in terms of emotional development and that she was just dead weight to him. She always felt unsatisfied with her life because she could never get rid of the feeling that she was second best and only deserved second best. When Amuro grew out of his emo phase he realized that he could have been happy with Fraw but that it was already too late. It's not that Amuro was the only man for Fraw or that Fraw was the right girl for him. If at the time they felt that way it's just because for both of them this feeling represented the consciousness that they were failures at life. What is unrealistic about that?
If Amuro liked Sayla but never had the courage to approach her is that inconsistent with his characterization? Is it unrealistic?
If his relationship with Beltorchika didn't pan out is this inconsistent with the pattern of ineffectual relationships that form the thematic core of the show.
If his relationship with Sayla or Beltorchika didn't work out because of his insecurities does this make any of them the wrong girl for him? If it worked out despite of his insecurities does this now make any of them the right girl for him?
>>
>>15328459
>whoever else crosses your life path
Exactly. There is such a thing as compatible personalities and interests and it matters at least to some extent but considering that you meet thousands of people in the course of your life you are going to meet a lot of people that pass such preliminaries. How close you'll get to any of them is mostly a matter of chance and whether the relationship will work out or not depend on thousand factors that have absolutely nothing to do with how compatible you are.
Actually when I think about it the concept that the intensity of the feelings you have for someone is based on some sort of predetermined compatibility is plain offensive. So, it's like, you meet someone and they are good for you and you're like "That must be the one" but then you kind of meet someone that's somewhat better and now you just are just like "Wow, I have to be with them at all costs because we're meant to be". Sounds more like a misguided teenage drama sort of thing.
>>
I wonder which Century Tomino likes the best.
Thread posts: 257
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.