[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Super Robot Wars V is strategy gaming at its most basic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 6

File: SRV-Ann-PS4-PSV.jpg (49KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
SRV-Ann-PS4-PSV.jpg
49KB, 600x338px
>Sadly, “Super Robot Wars V,” with its units, abilities, and maps that provide a uniformly bland experience across the board, fails to do justice to the eclectic genre. A crossover involving so many iconic brands is always an excellent idea, but once the initial thrill of having your favorite robots fighting alongside each other wears off, you’ll realize “Super Robot Wars V” is as basic as strategy gaming gets

6/10

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/602238/scitech/technology/super-robot-wars-v-is-strategy-gaming-at-its-most-basic#sthash.pQE7ZyBK.dpuf

Do you agree?
>>
I believe it. Z3 was fucking horrendous.
>>
it's already obvious to everyone that SRW abandoned strategy a long time ago
>>
>>15302727

Harsh but not without validity. We as fans get a lot out of the crossover aspect becuase we are fans but to a nonfan or casual fan it is a bit much for not as much payoff
>>
File: IT'S POOP.gif (985KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IT'S POOP.gif
985KB, 500x281px
>>15302727
>game reviews
>>
I really have to question why a non-fan would play these games at all. It's like asking someone to play a Digimon game, the appeal simply isn't there if you aren't into Digimon.
>>
>>15302727
He's right about the game being too easy, but no one buys a SRW game expecting ridiculous difficulty, they just want to have fun with their favorite robots and pilots. If the game's too hard, you won't be able to use most of the cast since you'll just favor the very best of your team, making the game super boring on replays.
>>
Did Moon Dwellers have any good amount of strategy?
>>
>>15302821
>upgrade Granteed
>win game
>>
>>15302822
it wasn't that easy, with Granteed constantly being removed due to events
now, upgrade Bellzelute and yes, win the game
>>
>>15302821
Upgrade Bellzelute to max
Level Calvina to 99

See utter devastation left behind by Revenger
>>
>>15302830
>>15302829
Are there any good fucking mech strategy games on the ps4?
>>
>>15302727
I have not yet played V but nobody will deny that this is applicable to SRW in general. Nobody ever claims they were great games mechanically.
>>
>>15302842
for actual strategy lol no.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (101KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
>>15302842
Nope.
The older Front Missions are good but that is as far back as PS1.
Your hopes are probably resting on the Thai and their fancy little game.
>>
>>15302860
WAT IS THIS?
>>
>>15302842
V is actually really good though. The way the content crosses over is probably the best they've ever done.
>>
>>15302727

How do we fix SRW?
>>
>>15302869
Seemingly unfundable (they're still making it) indie turn based mecha game.
>>
>>15302880
you don't
>>
>>15302873
>The way the content crosses over is probably the best they've ever done.
Said no one ever.
>>
>>15302873
Sup CAfag
>>
>>15302880
Toggle the difficulty to 'Alpha Gaiden'.
>>
>>15302923
Alpha Gaiden is not hard. Getting the G-bits is hard.

Even facing the Bergemills is not tough if you know your placement and supports.

Arguebly facing the Aurgemill on the moon is slightly hard if you fail to surround it in time.
>>
>>15302926
The goal isn't making it hard, it's making it not downright braindead.
With that said, fixing SRW is probably impossible. Too many external factors. Most games design their characters in function of their role in gameplay, SRW is handed out characters from shows. We get entire rosters of main character jack-of-all-trade units.
>>
Every time they make SRW legit hard the fanbase hates it, and worse, accuses them of ripping them off because it seems like it was like that to encourage buying of DLC.

But on the other hand, they can be legitimately challenging if you make it, by playing on hard and not fully upgrading everything straight off the bat.
>>
>>15302938
>and worse, accuses them of ripping them off because it seems like it was like that to encourage buying of DLC.
What are the games that introduced "make your game easier" DLC? OE and Pride of Justice. The former in particular is pretty much unplayable without XP boosters because you have to keep a gigantic roster equally leveled up due to a weird system meaning that an enemy maybe five levels above you has like ten times your stats in practice.
They were really clearly doing something fishy there.
>>
>>15302903
I hate Cross Ange, but I did think it was funny that Gundam SEED was basically a subplot of it. I was talking about little things like Hokushin being a Mechanoid.
>>
>>15302926
Are you retarded, the moon cradle stage is like 10 times easier than the earth cradle stage. Way less enemies and you get tons of hp regen/en regen from the base. You have no right to talk about placement if you managed to let the aurgelmir reach the moon cradle.
>>
>>15302727
Yeah but the thrill of Daitarn fighting never wears out so it's not a problem.
>>
>>15302727
Why is a Philippine general news station reviewing games in the first place?
>>
>>15303224
does this one have RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD or STEEEEEEEEEVE?
>>
>>15303229
if it did it wouldnt get a 6/10
>>
>>15302880
Well there shouldn't be a black fucking void around the stage for one thing. Like come the fuck on its not the 90s anymore
Also replace VN shit with actually walking around the capital ship and talking to people to get the most mileage out of the crossover aspects
>>
>>15302829

The bigger problem is the stage would end before Granteed got to the enemies.
>>
>>15302901
>>15302903
sup valvrager
>>
>>15302821
The Rubble Pile guy was the toughest it ever got for me, destroyed about 12 of my units because undodgeable AOE sure is fucking fair and balanced.

I only won because of Bellzelute and Tenia giving me a backup Valor.
>>
>>15302880
Raise the development span to 1 game per year or maybe even 2 years a game
Reorganize the animation team's member for more consistent animation
Bringing back the old way of choosing the roster, which is: plot relevance first, series later
Revamp the whole gameplay, bring in some kind of class system to further diversify the robots, remake the squad mechanic (just fucking start with the TRI system), shitload of secrets all over the game again with complex requirement, new units/attacks per 1-2 stage to keep the game interesting, lots of cross series combination attacks (they did that in A.C.E.) implement some kind of terrain/height mechanic again.
Make both a beginner mode for pussies and a Extreme Mode which must be real hard, but not the artifical kind of hard where enemies have 10 bars of upgrades and you got nothing. Make the enemies actually at the same level at you by let them use seishins normally like we do.
That's all the things I can think of for starters

>>15303594
>a black fucking void around the stage
What? You mean the space? Literally most of robot fights happen in space.
>>
>>15303656
>What? You mean the space? Literally most of robot fights happen in space.
He means the edges of the maps are surrounded by black emptiness instead of continuing to show the rest of the environment.
>>
>>15302794
But it should be.

I played SRW 3 back then and I had no idea that they were even based on licensed anime series. I remember having fun probably because it's one of the first kind of games I played other than the Shining Force series. It's 2017, and SRW should be way better than what it currently is. Reused assets, reused music, poor presentation. Sales are on decline every year and you understand why, with so much squandered potential.

It's the same thing with the Dynasty Warriors series. You don't have to be a Three Kingdoms fan to enjoy it but the latest games now are way too easy compared to the earlier entries. The older games weren't exactly hard, but they were nowhere as braindead as the newer ones.
>>
honestly I'm fine with SRW being easy by Strategy RPG standards(discounting the Winkysoft era games), otherwise I'd probably lose interest after a couple stages like almost every other Strategy videogame I've played in the last ten years or so(with RTS's it's mostly cause I just don't have the ability to multi-task at the pace those games demand, while with most Turn Based games difficulty mostly comes by either making the computer a cheating asshole, or by stacking the math against you to an extent that I just find tedious more than anything)
>>
File: x1-Boxart.jpg (109KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
x1-Boxart.jpg
109KB, 600x592px
>>15302880
Actually give a shit about stage/boss design.

SRW has all the mechanics for a perfectly acceptable strategy game, it just doesn't do anything with them because it wants you to be able to win with any team you desire. Sometimes this is fine (people enjoyed W), but sometimes it leads to real dire shit (oh god Z3.2).
>>
>>15303899
what's wrong with being able to beat the game with Shinka Katz?
>>
>>15302880
Just a small list:
>A cohesive storyline
>Not too many OP units
>An actually engaging difficulty curve
>A cast range between 15-30
>Budget actually spent well in the animation department.
That's it really.
>>
>>15303656
Another Z, then. That's cool
>>
>>15303915

The fact that beating the game meant fighting wave after wave of completely boring OG fuckers and their stupid BEYOND HUMAN UNDERSTANDING bullshit plot bollocks
>>
>>15303995
I meant the whole "beating the game with nothing but support/shit characters",is nice and all.
It wasn't practical back then when alpha 1 was around.
>>
>>15302880
Put more budget into Nu Gundam animations
>>
Yeah, sounds fair. These are all legitimate issues with Super Robot Wars. If you don't like Robot shows, you're not going to find much to enjoy once the shine wears off.
>>
>>15304130
>If you don't like Robot shows
The problems go deeper than simply not liking robot shows.

SRW does nothing interesting with the properties it's been handled with.

Even the crossover aspects feel tacked on instead of feeling like they belong to the game.
>>
>>15304199
It's got characters from different series bouncing off each other, I don't know what more a crossover is supposed to do.
>>
>>15304199
Lots of series do get their robots' unique mechanics represented in SRW. Sometimes they get it wrong, sometimes the cut corners to cut costs and a lot of the time playable characters can feel homogeneous, but there are a lot of generic robots out there.

SRW could do with slightly better difficulty tuning and having a hard mode out of the gate but a lot of the appeal us the customisability and the ability to play with the toys you want to play with.

Series like Evangelion, Aquarion and Nadesico all have their gimmicks represented in a reasonable way
>>
I don't like the the stage-progression setup of SRW.

Would be more interesting if it was more sandboxy strategy, sure you'd have important story missions but there would be more variety and choice in how to proceed.

I really liked the story mode inthe old G-Gen games, which had alot more allied-controllable grunts and unusual supporting machines appearing than the modern ones.
Its just more fun and fanservicey than the way SRW does it.
>>
>>15304281
agreed, PS1 G Gen were the best of mech strategy back then.
>>
>>15304281
>t. grunt fag
Don't have anything on you but a lot of normies playing this shit will say otherwise
>>
>>15303656
>Bringing back the old way of choosing the roster, which is: plot relevance first, series later

When the fuck was this ever applicable outside of maybe Z1?
>>
>>15304199
>Even the crossover aspects feel tacked on instead of feeling like they belong to the game.
Now that's a lie. The only flaw in that regard is not enough crossover combo attacks.
>>
>>15303899
Personally, i don't mind the bullshit difficulty of Touhou SRW. Some people may brush it off as artificial difficulty, though. Like 8 movement per turn for Yukari or accuracy beyond 100% for Yorihime.
>>
>>15302797
You hit the nail on the head srw is literally fanservice the game and people would be unhappy if their favorites were unusable statwise
>>
>>15302873

Was V your first and only game?
>>
>>15304550
Honestly the idea that people even consider FMW to be bullshit difficulty is kinda depressing.

It's a game that wants you to actually read up the boss' status screen before you do anything. That really shouldn't be something beyond the average player.
>>
I think it's time for another Scramble Commander game
>>
It's like you guys have never played a SRW before.

They've always been incredibly basic and easy games, their main appeals is just moving your favorite shows and seeing good sprite animation and that's it.
Bamco "strategy" games are always really lacking as "games".
>>
>>15304714
I'd be up for another SC.
>>
>>15303899
This.

SRW always has these HUGE maps but you barely move through 5% of it.
>>
>>15304736
They've always been pretty easy, but some games just make it impossible to use anyone other than the MC of a show.

V's the best one in that regard, the new system allows you to use any character effectively since the point system can be used for any character, no matter who got the points in the first place.
>>
>>15303899
Tengoku's one of the least guilty offenders for the more recent games. It's just entirely borked when it comes to the enemy selection, but the SR points make it a point to use something other than "Defeat X unit(s) in Y amount of turns"

It's not like, say, BX in which every stage is the same trash combined with the shitty enemy selection
>>
>>15304736
Sounds like you haven't played Pride of Jus...
...oh wait that's Winkysoft
nevermind
>>
>>15304764
>V's the best one in that regard, the new system allows you to use any character effectively since the point system can be used for any character, no matter who got the points in the first place.

People will just pump kills and money for five bars of EN, Weapons, and Armor/Mobility into their favored secondary character in the first place. They were never at risk.
The characters who are lagging behind in the skills department will still stay on the bench in most people's playthroughs regardless of this system. That's just the nature of the beast

The dynamic hasn't been changed. It's just easier to make various characters overpowered now.
>>
>>15304199
>Even the crossover aspects feel tacked on instead of feeling like they belong to the game.

Nigga what?
>>
>>15304822
Probably referring to how most things are just post-plot and connected via various dimension shenanigans.
>>
>>15304778

Not him but I beat it, and really there's only 2 stages in PoJ that are actually hard and require multiple retries. You should beat every stage first try, you'll just take losses in the process.
>>
Much like Z series this game has a high chance of getting a sequel

On the other hand what series would be added in the Next sequel if it were to happen
>>
>>15305073
Look, it's the guy who doesn't use full stops and randomly capitalizes words.
>>
>>15302794
>the appeal simply isn't there if you aren't into Digimon.
That's not true. I played 50 hours of CS and I hadn't watched Digimon since 2003
>>
So is Moon Dwellers or V the one to get?
>>
>>15306345
V
>>
>>15306345
Depends on the one you want senpai.
>>
>>15302880
I'm fairly sure a lot of older srw games actually stand up well even today
Og/2 are still fun other than some cases of "meatwall"
Like even battle moon wars managed to be entertaining, I'm fairly sure complex systems and 3+ unit combination attack isn't it. So just y'know, work on the plot and make it more engaging. That seems to be the common denominator for all the good srws, og was just easier to write for because no mashing of 30 series into it. W also had the fortune of a plot mainly focused on the protagonist's hilariously dysfunctional family.
>>
>>15306386
Well that's not the case if Moon Dwellers has some issues and or shit gameplay
>>
>>15306397
oh hey so spoilers, they don't. It all depends on if you want OG or you want some crossover stuff.
>>
>>15306417
Sounds good, thanks anon
>>
>>15304670
Fangames are free to do whatever they want with their difficulty because they're catering to a smaller fanbase. People hated PoJ when it had some sort of difficulty so putting FMW tier difficulty into an actual SRW game would just lead to a bunch of returns.
>>
File: nozomi question.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
nozomi question.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
>>15306435
>PoJ
>>
>>15306435
Can they just give some choices?
Nier Automata has both that auto combo mode for casuals and the tryhard mode where you can die in one hit (the evade mechanics is broken so artifical difficulty means jackshit here)
So why can't SRW do that?
>>
>>15306832
They do its just that even with easy mode its too hard for casuals
>>
>>15306518
Masoukishins, son.
>>
>>15306832

They do. There's modes which prevent upgrades and increase enemy stats, and getting SR points increases the difficulty even more.

People just play through the bare minimum and complain it's too easy.
>>
>>15306330
>I hadn't watched Digimon since 2003
THEN YOURE STILL TECHNICALLY INTO DIGIMON
Fucking retard. We're talking about people who have zero experience with any of the anime included.
>>
>>15304550
It just requires players to stop with the braindead approach of dps brute forcing every boss and to play round them using the tools at your disposal and making exchanges favourable which isn't really artificial difficulty so much as just basic gameplay.
>>
>>15306435
>PoJ
Shit's not hard, son. Learn to play.
>>
>>15306397
moon dwellers has a worse English translation. like it's embarrassingly bad
>>
>>15306832
there are modes that don't allow upgrades while making enemies stronger. plus the more sr points you get the higher the difficulty jumps.

most people don't do more than one playthrough or go after the sr points.
>>
>>15302727
It's correct, these games are fun for people that have seen every series they feature, otherwise you'd just be lost and bored.

They're fanservice games with SRPG mechanics and that's fine for fans.
>>
>>15306518

Pride of Justice, the 3rd Masoukishin game and the first one released on PS3. It's notorious for being difficult in a way that doesn't feel fair.
>>
>>15307881

Not him, and I didn't think it was THAT frustrating as I said >>15304942, but that game got so many returns in Japan that Bamco never tried that shit again.
>>
>>15302727
Since when do video game reviewers care about gameplay?
>>
>>15309047
>They're fanservice games with SRPG mechanics and that's fine for fans.
This. SRW stopped trying to innovate a long time ago. The series is about putting together all these different franchises and having them interact. Someone outside the fanbase who doesn't have a passion for mecha anime couldn't possibly understand.
>>
>>15309047
Is it really that common for people to be knowledgeable about every series before they play a srw?
>>
>>15309569
You should know at least half of it or the ones you do know are the main characters that will carry you through the game. I know about 80% of SRWV's cast and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're like "I watched gundam wing on toonami" then of course you're not gonna give a damn about this game.
>>
>>15309363
Wow you sure told him!
>>
>durk hurk it's a crossover of course you won't like it
Funny how people who have never read a comic can enjoy the gameplay of Marvel vs Crapcom.

>inb4 but muh story
Funny how people can enjoy Fire Emblem solely for it's gameplay despite the entire franchise never once having anything resembling interesting writing.
>>
>>15311082
SRW's crossover material has been pretty shit for the past three or so years too.
>>
>>15311082
>Funny how people who have never read a comic can enjoy the gameplay of Marvel vs Crapcom.

That's because literally the only thing that matters in a fighting game is the gameplay. If the gameplay fails, the whole game fails.

In an rpg that's not entirely the case. Otherwise the Witcher series would've died with the first game.
>>
>>15309569
To be fair, 90% of the cast like Mazinger, Getter, Gundam, Eva, and motherfucking Yamato are known or recognized by nearly every fucking Japanese people. They are like capeshit superheroes in the west to be fair capeshit is popular in Japan to but still
There're lesser known stuff like Might Gaine or new shit like Cross Ange but people will learn about them and get interested along the way. Nips even call it the スパロボ効果 (Suparobo effect)
I think that's the whole point of this franchise really, to have fun with both the characters you're familiar with and new characters you don't know yet and learn new things along the way.
>>
>>15302860
I remember playing Front Mission 3 after playing most of 1 and being annoyed with it. Battles had less going on and yet felt slower. Everything about 3 felt slower. Your Wanzers and pilots feel so much stronger so much sooner in the 1 than in 3. 1 also had a lot more rad music. Is 3 a low point in there series or should I go back and give it a chance? Should I play 2 instead?
>>
>>15311162
eh, I played Playstation All-stars for a solid 6 months just for the characters. The gameplay side was kind of trash, personally it felt worst than TMNT Smash-Up.

Same goes for J-Stars, gameplay wise its a poor mans Gundam VS. But I play it for the characters.

And its not just with fighters. I bought ACE:R even though I watched Let's Play and read player reviews on its subpar controls. Still played it for the characters.
>>
>>15311264
>I think that's the whole point of this franchise really, to have fun with both the characters you're familiar with and new characters you don't know yet and learn new things along the way.

It's less about "having fun with characters" and more about advertising toys and merchandise.
>>
>>15313543

Not for nothing but I really doubt Orguss was going to make a comeback in sales considering it first showed up in SRW in 2008 and the show was in 1983.
>>
>>15313812

You'd be surprised. Some old shows get put in a SRW because they've got new figure coming out in one of the various Bandai toylines.

I don't think Orguss was one of them though.
>>
>>15302727
Of course nobody actually plays SRW games for the gameplay
>>
>>15314062
Orguss was dirt cheap and its premise was the basis for the entire Z series. Sometimes shows just get it because the people making them think they'd be interesting. They put Orgun in W basically just as a present to Obari.
>>
>>15311082
>Funny how people who have never read a comic can enjoy the gameplay of Marvel vs Crapcom.

When the versus series came out, it was still within the time that Spider Man and X men had very successful cartoons on top of the fact that you could just say capcom had a new fighting game out and people would more than likely flock to it. You can't forget how well SF did for most of the 90s. A lot of people had played it by then in some form.

You didn't have to read the comics because there was basically no story involved in the crossovers. It was just fighting and all you really had to do was know who the characters were. That's different from a strategy game that mixes a bunch of mecha shows together to make a much longer game.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.