[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The word "Mecha"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: theme01.jpg (198KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
theme01.jpg
198KB, 800x534px
The word "mecha" is weird. It's kinda like a collective noun and kinda like an uncountable noun. I find it tricky.

Does "Mecha" occupy the same grammar space as "machinery"? I think so... kinda.

When someone says, for example, "Joe pilots a mecha" this feels wrong to me. You wouldn't say "Joe uses a machinery." You'd say "Joe uses a machine." In the same way, you'd say "Joe pilots a mech."

But it's complicated. Consider the following:

"Joe uses a machine"
vs
"Joe pilots a mech"
Both fine.

"Look at all that machinery"
vs
"Look at all that mecha"
No...
"Look at all those mecha"
Yes, that seems better.

"Look at all those machines"
vs
"Look at all those mechas"
No, that sounds wrong.
"Look at all those mechs"
Yeah, that sounds right.

So we have "mech" as the singular. Obviously. (I don't think calling a giant robot "a mecha" is right. Not at all. It feels wrong to me.)

We have "mechs" as the plural of "mech." Again, obvious, seems fine.

Then there's "mecha" which is, like... the concept of mechs, perhaps?

"This hangar is full of mecha" seems fine to me. "This hangar is full of mechs" also seems fine to me. "This hangar is full of mechas" seems VERY wrong to me.

Maybe it's kinda like "food"? Ugh, it's frustratingly difficult to codify. Any thoughts of insights?
>>
Mecha derives from the japanese word for mechanical. Also you're a nerd because you know fully the differences already so there's no reason to even discuss this.

>Sam ran.
>Sam is running.
>Sam went for a run.
I don't see you complaining about those, you smegma sucker.
>>
File: weeaboo_mp_by_kibainuzukalover.jpg (47KB, 551x627px) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo_mp_by_kibainuzukalover.jpg
47KB, 551x627px
>>15295899
It's Japanese, just like waifu and such.

Also, English is not really a language that makes a lick of sense, anyway.
>>
>>15295899
You don't write like a native English speaker in the first place, so I'm not sure what it is you're complaining about. You just sound like someone who's trying real hard to fit in.

"Mecha" is not like "machinery" since it's not a collective noun, it's just a noun with an irregular plural form (ie. an identical one), like sheep or fish. "Joe uses a fish/look at all those fish". It's not that hard to grasp.
>>
File: UltraSevenCallsDumb.jpg (268KB, 1000x1070px) Image search: [Google]
UltraSevenCallsDumb.jpg
268KB, 1000x1070px
>>15295915
>Mecha derives from the japanese word for mechanical.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

>Also you're a nerd because you know fully the differences already so there's no reason to even discuss this.

Indeed I am a nerd, as are you. And apparently, you seem to see a reason to discuss this, since you responded.

>smegma sucker.

Yer mom's the smegma fanatic. I guess since I chokefuck her so frequently it's inevitable I'd get a bit on me.

>>15295932
>It's Japanese, just like waifu and such.

Indeed. But people here, who speak English, use it. So I found it an interesting subject.

>English is not really a language that makes a lick of sense, anyway.

Amen! Truer words were never spoken.

>>15296019
>You don't write like a native English speaker in the first place

I have no idea what gave you that impression, you condescending ignoramus.

>so I'm not sure what it is you're complaining about.

I wasn't complaining, I was attempting to start a discussion. Since you can't tell the difference, maybe English is your second language. Your reading comprehension certainly sucks canal water.

>You just sound like someone who's trying real hard to fit in.

And you sound like a fat, ugly child. Who's right and who's wrong? Who cares?

>"Mecha" is not like "machinery" since it's not a collective noun, it's just a noun with an irregular plural form (ie. an identical one), like sheep or fish. "Joe uses a fish/look at all those fish". It's not that hard to grasp.

I don't share your view on this. I don't think "mecha" is like "fish." To my ear, saying "Gundam is a mecha" is incorrect. "Gundam is a mech" sounds correct to me. Clearly we disagree on this, and it might be entirely a matter of opinion -- it being a foreign word that's been imported in a most informal way, so I dunno if there even IS a correct usage in English.
>>
>>15295899
Both "mech" and "mecha" are not real words in proper English. You are getting hung up because you are trying to translate a word from a foreign language that has completely different sentence structure.
>>
I honestly hate the word "mech". It brings to mind generic battletech designs and the kind of dweeb who screeches endlessly about how it's the most realistic thing ever.
>>
>>15296135
Dunno, the "mech" word in here is mostly like a sign that someones are trying to stir some shit.
>>
>>15296135
>>15296231
So "mech" is kind of a dirty word with you, you don't like it?
>>
File: CattleTechPage.jpg (69KB, 463x600px) Image search: [Google]
CattleTechPage.jpg
69KB, 463x600px
>>15296135
>>15296231
>>15296242

Well, "mech" is (I think) something of an Anglicization of the Japanese word. Which is kinda silly, since "mecha" and a Japanese-ization of an English word in the first place. But I get it -- it's a less than satisfactory term. But, it seems to have risen to a level of commonality that can't be rolled back.

Of course, there's also the fact that "mech" might stem originally from "Battlemech," Battletech's term for giant robots. And since Battletech started off as Battledroids, a diluted and "corrupted" derivation of mecha anime sacred cows... Well, as a term "mech" is kinda like "Japanimation." Sorta.

Oh! Speaking of Battletech AND sacred mecha anime cows...
>>
>>15296638
>since "mecha" and a Japanese-ization of an English word

IS. Not "and." IS a Japanese-ization. Shit. Stupid fingers. I need new ones.
>>
> Mecha is a japanese version of mechanical
Except it's literally just the first two syllables of Mechanical. The only 'japanifying' is that japs abbreviate the fuck out of everything.
>>
>>15296825
>Except

Okayyyyyyy... I don't see your point.
>>
>>15296242
Nah, its just my own experience on this board.
>>
>>15296135
Seconding.

For me though there's also the fact that, phonetically, it just doesn't sound as good as "mecha" or "robots". I like how the words "mecha" and "robots" roll off the tongue and they feel natural when spoken.
"Mech" not so much.
>>
It's true, calling the Zeta Gundam a "mech" seems unnatural.
>>
>actually types out: Ugh

what even
>>
>>15295899

Language norms aren't set in stone, OP, this is all you need to know actually.
>>
File: Fuck Off - Megatron.jpg (64KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Off - Megatron.jpg
64KB, 500x375px
>>15301448

Ugh, you're dumb.
>>
>>15302099

True, and yes, I know. But for the /m/echa board, I should think this would be a relevant matter of discussion.
>>
>>15302770
This is the mecha board, not the language board.
>>
>>15303032

It's also not the Pointing Out The Obvious board.
>>
>>15295899
'they have 2,000 mecha' makes grammatical sense
'they have 2,000 machinery' does not
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.