[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unique /m/echa movement systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: E7-Nirvash dodging missiles.webm (2MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
E7-Nirvash dodging missiles.webm
2MB, 800x600px
Hey /m/ what are some unique mecha movement systems?
I'm currently working on building a world for a story I'm creating, and I want it to have an interesting traversal system for the mecha.

what I'm trying to do is create a unique form of movement.
For example like Eureka seven's Lift boards, Code Geass' slash harkens + landspinners or King Gainer's Photon mats.

So far the most unique thing I was able to come up with was some kind of particle Kite similar to the Voiture luminare, but I haven't gotten too far into it.
>>
>>15288946
How about mechanum wheels? Those are wheels that can move the vehicle in any direction without actually turning thanks to some weird gimballed rims. Pretty cool stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel

Another cool one in a similar light is the HOG wheel, for Hemispherical Omnidirectional Gimbal. Those use hemispheres that tilt to change the effective orientation they're touching the ground with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispherical_omnidirectional_gimbaled_wheel
>>
>>15288977
Those look interesting, but I'm trying to develop something for aerial transportation.
>>
>>15288977
Those look interesting, but I'm trying to develop something that can be used for for aerial transportation.
>>
>>15289046
Also I should specify that the story's world is going to be more of a sci-fantasy than something with hard sci-fi elements.
>>
>>15289050
Ornithopters
>>
>>15289062
>Thanks this looks pretty interesting.
>>
balloons
>>
>>15289245
This seems like it would be way too slow though.
maybe for air ships and such they would be fine, but the mecha need a faster mode of movement for combat.
>>
>>15288946
One propulsion mechanism I really like is the Machine Calibers from Gargantia, since they create artificial gravity wells in front of them that they then fall towards.
>>
>>15288946
Slithering.
>>
>>15289046
Dragons.
>>
>>15289961
This feels a tad bit mundane, we've already got some mecha stuff with dragons

>>15289767
can you elaborate?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (114KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
114KB, 1440x1080px
I wish more mecha would have rotors like helicopters. Probably inefficient as fuck, but I'm sure there's some small aspect that works better than thrusters.
>pic related
>>
>>15290048
>This feels a tad bit mundane, we've already got some mecha stuff with dragons
You can't have science fantasy without science. Name a mecha anime where the giant robots ride dragons.
>>
>>15290234
>You can't have science fantasy without science.
Fantasy. You can't have science fantasy without fantasy.
>>
>>15290234
I want the flight system to be compact or directly incorporated into the mecha
>>
>>15289050
What is the setting like? What tech? Any special power source?
Stuff like that helps in forming ideas.

If there is some form of magic, it helps too.
A simple one would be effectively a magic powered jet engine, you burn magic to produce thrust, something like that.
>>
>>15291535
Why not have piloted mechanical dragon dogfights?
>>
>>15291535
Make that shit magical girl and have the mecha ride brooms.
Give them short range teleporters, and the not!Gundams long range teleporters.
Give them all miniguns that can lift them with sheer recoil.
Steal from a popular series
>>
>>15291535

Expanding on the magic ideas, you can try incorporating wind intakes into your mecha design and put the output nozzles where-ever you want them, solo or in any combination; the hip blocks as "skirt armor", on the feet/legs in Sentinel/Iron Man-style, or if you want to be boring but safe I guess you can have a backpack unit.

If it's really fantastic shit, you can have the output wind blast out from the back like the light effects of the God Gundam in Hyper Mode or Overmen, especially King Gainer. Except it'll be wind and not rings of light. Not all backpacks are terrible; maybe have some parts that direct the output air in some manner or just do it GN Drive-style.

Also, as >>15289695 mentioned, Gargantia has an interesting flight effect. Maybe you'll like to consider gravity-affecting attributes and some kind of "visual effect" formed by such a mode of transportation. They can encase the entire unit or be placed on limbs or specific structures in place of typical thrusters.
>>
Magic carpets, or cloud riding.
>>
File: G-Siren.png (468KB, 754x550px) Image search: [Google]
G-Siren.png
468KB, 754x550px
Legs with multisegmented thighs and calves. For atmospheric flight, they merge together lengthwise and the extra thigh/calf joints unlock - the whole thing is a maglev/rocket-propelled mermaid tail and it undulates for directional control.

Or a snake tail per >>15289767, snakes tend to move more around two axes at once than fish do.
>>
>>15288946

Replace Trapar waves with omnipresent invisible spider webs/threads.

Regular movement and long-distance travel involves latching onto them with wheels of sorts. When combat is involved, shit gets all acrobatic and mecha start bouncing around between them; triangle jumping, airdashing, swinging with their own artificial grappling threads, etc.
>>
>>15291573
>What is the setting like?
It's on a reformed earth that has recoved from a post-apocalyptic event that took place thousands of years prior(early 11000s).
It is inhabited by a race of humans who have "evolved" to conduct this setting's native mecha enabling particles(they have yet to be named so I'll call them Meps for now).

They've formed a relatively peaceful society and have been able to redevelop technology by discovering ancient artifacts and passed down knowledge.
They have electricity, but only use it for basic stuff like radio communications and light.
A lot of their technology rather relies on the Meps. And depending on the countries the technology levels are anywhere between the 1800s - 1940s.

Basically the humans that left during that event have come back and a few years prior to the story a short war occurred between the returning humans and the new ones on this earth which resulted in a human country being almost completely decimated.

Now there's basically a stalemate between the new human race and the old one.
I'm not going to go more in depth since a lot isn't in concerte yet, but once I had an idea of the justification for the mecha in the setting I wanted to give them a really cool movement system.
The atmosphere is supposed to be really cartoony and child-like like King Gainer or tranaformers and the mecha re going to be biomechanical, but will have a mostly mechanical appearance on the outside.
>>
>>15293055
A simple way would be to let them control the mecha via moving the particles with the pilot's own ability to control(?) the particles like moving a doll, I guess.
But for aerial fights, maybe somerhing similar but their channel the particles out of specific thrusters to fly and all that.
>>
File: 36261250_p17.jpg (157KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
36261250_p17.jpg
157KB, 566x800px
>>15289767
>>15291920
Aw yeah
>>
>>15293126
>A simple way would be to let them control the mecha via moving the particles with the pilot's own ability to control(?) the particles like moving a doll, I guess.
That's what I'm going with.
As for the flight system I initially thought of it's basically what you just described, but I wanted to adjust it or completely change it so that movement was less generic.
>>
>>15294453
How about there being a layer of said magic particle in the upper atmosphere and they fly by attaching a chain of the particle from their mecha to that layer and fly by moving a la puppets on string?
>>
File: chmaber.jpg (132KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
chmaber.jpg
132KB, 1280x720px
This guy creates a mini black hole and "falls" toward it to fly around.
>>
File: Outrunner_Robot.jpg (28KB, 550x359px) Image search: [Google]
Outrunner_Robot.jpg
28KB, 550x359px
The Outrunner robot which basically uses wheel spokes for legs to go pretty fast using minimal machinery
>>
>>15295876
Best one ITT
>>
>>15288946
Horse riding.
>>
>>15288946
Voices of a Distant Star mecha

They can't actually fly. They can only control their fall. Basically, they boost themselves into the air for 3 seconds, then move around in controlled falls. Whenever they get too low, they boost again. Really interesting in animation.
>>
wings
>>
File: latest.jpg (43KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
43KB, 400x400px
>>15296017
Got chu, senpai.
>>
>>15288946
Like double jiumping, but infinite.
>>
>>15288946

Go for rocket skateboards.
>>
Hardlight/supercompression that solidifies the air.

Mechs don't fly as much as they form a platform they ride for less than a split second then move to the next, creating a solid path that decays exactly as they step off it.

Think Iceman from Marvel.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.