[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are beam sabers overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

File: 51148190_p0.png (3MB, 1400x786px) Image search: [Google]
51148190_p0.png
3MB, 1400x786px
Are beam sabers overrated?
>>
>>15286393
Now why would you think that, young anon?
>>
>>15286393
Beam Sabers are a CLASSIC for stuff like this, but I'd rather have a SOLID BLADE, like the Great Mazinger.
>>
No but it's really dumb when people drop their gun and just go in for a flashy close combat kill with a beamsaber. Just shoot the fucker.
>>
File: 555549bea1dcb5139e3c67b17a6bea61.gif (1011KB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
555549bea1dcb5139e3c67b17a6bea61.gif
1011KB, 500x225px
>>15286393

unless its done right, its not
>>
File: 12a.jpg (248KB, 1000x722px) Image search: [Google]
12a.jpg
248KB, 1000x722px
>>15286393
Would love to see beam spears, beam axes, beam battleaxes, beam polearms, beam flail, beam hammer and etc become a thing.
>>
File: 0h55_33.jpg (148KB, 851x600px) Image search: [Google]
0h55_33.jpg
148KB, 851x600px
>>15286393
Think they're more of a side weapon if anything.
Got a shelf full of gunplas and not a single one of them have their beam sabers equipped.
Got my storage box full of those beam effect parts.
Pic related is one of the cases where the beam sabers are the main, or in his case, only weapons, and I fucking love him for it.
Shame the upgrade ditched the beam sabers for solid ones.
>>
>>15286623
But are your Gunpla painted?
>>
File: 1487378410757.png (238KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1487378410757.png
238KB, 800x450px
>>15286772
>Blackfacing a black gunpla
>>
I like light sabers
>>
>>15286772
Dunno how that relates to the topic but yeah, some of them are.
Most are just minor detail painting for at least box-art accuracy.
>>
>>15286478
I kind of like how Zeta's rifle can turn into a halberd thing.
>>
>>15286478
t. nigga that can't into hayaii
>>
They only make sense for newtypes and force users
>>
>>15286996
It's more of a bayonet than a halberd. The closest thing to a halberd would have been the Unicorn Gundam's psycoframe-infused polearm.
>>
>>15286573
those all exist already, look harder
>>
量産型GNソードをバンダイが作ったからと言って日本のシナリオライターの頭が良い訳では無い
>>
>>15287347
They exist but they ain't popular hence the problem. Beam flail and beam hammer are nothing more than a fantasy.
>>
>>15286393
I think they're fine for stuff like mobile suits.
>>
beam sabers are light saber rip off. Tomino is a hack
>>
>>15286478

That almost never works. Any actually skilled pilot can typically avoid shots like that. It's why usually all named character kills are done via melee. And even ranged kills are typically close range shots.

The only case I can think off off hand where a named pilot was actually just shot and killed from afar was Gyunei. And they made it pretty clear Amuro was way above his level.
>>
Not overrated as much as overused. Gundam worked really hard to undo everything Star Wars did and make laser swords boring. Mobile suit beam sabers have no cool designs, underwhelming sound effects, virtually no impact when swung, and given they're on every damn mobile suit barring Zaku ripoffs that keep the axe, people these days actually cheer when presented with a physical weapon.

Give us some variety. IBO might not be a really good show but giving the main mech a mace was a step in the right direction.
>>
>>15287433
>Gundam worked really hard to undo everything Star Wars did and make laser swords boring.

At the time of Gundam's release the only Star Wars thing out was A New Hope which basically had minimal lightsaber action and the only duel in it was the realtively underwhelming one between Obiwan and Vader which was just them banging prop sticks together and adding an afterglow.
>>
>>15287433
IBO should bring back the grinder/mace that killed carta, that shits dope af
>>
>>15287414
Lila lost to Kamille that way. Jerid was unable to avoid two beam rifle shots that crippled his Baund Doc, which led to him dying in the explosion of the Radish.

I'm sure Rezin died from gunfire as well.
>>
>>15287433
I hate the emphasis on lighstabers that Star Wars has been doing.
The entire mobile suit is a weapon, with the beam saber just being an extension of its destructive capabilities.
>>
File: c63.jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
c63.jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
>>15287433
>people these days actually cheer when presented with a physical weapon
>>
being super niche here but I really like how Jovian Chronicles handles them, where they're just basically a mini-plasma thruster that's used to cut things and then turns off. Though, I swear I've seen beam sabers that behaved like that in gundam somewhere.
>>
>>15287433
>he didn't watch Unicorn
>>
>>15287443
They did and it's 3x larger
>>
>>15287747
Yeah, plasma lances are cool. I like that it addresses the fact that they'd leak plasma like crazy and therefore have a limited operational life, so most exo-armors have to carry two or three of them.
>>
What I don't get is way so many Grunt suits come equipped with saber, does that mean all GM pilots are required to learn basic sword fighting skills?
>>
I'd say they're overrated as weapons, but not as design elements.

Every mech should have a melee weapon for those situations where you're trapped in close quarters or are in a colony that could decompress or something. However, every PILOT should know that melee combat is necessarily risky and damaging to your unit, and should avoid it as much as possible.

It's kinda like a combat knife. Every soldier should have one, please don't charge the enemy's line with it.
>>
>>15288883

It's a basic combat skill. Of course every pilot should at least be proficient in it. They'd be helpless if a guy go in melee range and they had no weapon.
>>
File: overwatch shots.gif (1MB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
overwatch shots.gif
1MB, 350x263px
Beam sabers should be weapons of last resort, or for clearing out foliage
>>
>>15287747
There are none like that in Gundam but some shows have the beam sabers turned down to a minimum when idling and only extend when attacking.
>>
>>15287433
Star Wars didn't invent laser swords. The first movie did jackshit with them AND they had no real visual flare to them. They were basically halogen light sticks being slowly clanked together.

The Gundam's sabers saw frequent use and had variants like the beam javelin that were neat but not off the charts like lightsabers have gotten due to retarded fanboys falling in love with what is possibly one of the most boring weapons in fiction and turning them into gross, tacky ornaments, not that Lucas wasn't happy to cash in on that stuff.
>>
File: [judges you in kikongo].jpg (14KB, 418x354px) Image search: [Google]
[judges you in kikongo].jpg
14KB, 418x354px
>>15289404
>fictional order based off samurai and knights
>their swords are just ornaments
>>
>>15287932
but mika only uses a mace this time? Or was it not barbatos?
>>
File: image.png (232KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
232KB, 500x356px
>>15286393
Yes, beam sabers are boring to watch.

The best melee weapon in Gundam is the gouf custom's sword, basically just a big metal club kinda shaped like a sword.

A lot of the guns in Armored Core 4/FA make for cool melee weapons, they have large, blade shaped sections on them so that they can be used for melee.

I want to see a mecha use a kanabo, a kanabo that is also a big single shot cannon.
>>
>>15286504
Star Wars never did it right. Even though it's an omni-directional blade they never do anything very unique with it besides the saber throw. All the sword play in the prequels is even based on actual swordstyles from various martial arts.
>>
>>15289669
>All the sword play in the prequels is even based on actual swordstyles from various martial arts.

Nah, the sword play in the prequels has nothing in common with actual sword fighting, no one does backflips and spinning attacks in real life, don't let Lucas fool you with the "they're real martial arts!!" meme.
>>
>>15289679
Idk man...kung fu monks seem to not have problems using a sword and flipping...
https://youtu.be/KniaGeBZNdk
>>
>>15287382
>Beam flail and beam hammer are nothing more than a fantasy.
There's one, but only in an SRW game. Maybe Goldion Crusher for literal hammers if you consider it to be made out of beams.
>>
>>15286393
star wars did it
>>
>>15289736
Gengaozo from Victory has a beam mace. It has variable length spikes to catch opponents at odd angles.
>>
>>15289679
>no one does backflips and spinning attacks in real life
It's a dance. Watch wushu
>>
>>15286393
Honestly question here, shouldn't a beam saber be more draining to the battery than beam rifles and beam cannons? Shouldn't the energy consumption be comparable to that of a beam shield since it is constantly active?
>>
>>15290869
We aren't told anything about the power requirements, and power stats and figures tend to be made up anyway. What you say more or less makes sense, though. A beam sabre when active is "always on" as opposed to a beam gun that is only active when fired. That said, it's apparently a design feature of CCA era mobile suits that beam sabres will retract to a shorter length when held in the hand, and will extend to the full length when in actual use.

I'd imagine a beam shield would be like having multiple beam sabres active at the same thing. Most beam shields are segmented and each segment has its own beam emitter.
>>
File: 1486824123591.jpg (610KB, 716x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486824123591.jpg
610KB, 716x1024px
>physical melee best melee
>>
>>15287742
Anti-Ship Swords are pretty retarded design and function wise. A beam saber would had been just as good seeing as how the flagships in Seed were made of glass.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.