[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GITS Major now named "Mira," not Motoko

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 19

File: sundowner.jpg (56KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
sundowner.jpg
56KB, 584x622px
>Ghost in the Shell stars Major Motoko Kusanagi, a human consciousness stuck inside a mechanical body (in other words, she’s a “ghost” in a “shell” body. Voila, the title now makes a lot more sense). However, it appears that the live-action remake won’t star the same Major fans have come to know.

>Yup, you can hear the scientist calling our protagonist “Mira” instead of “Motoko.” The casting of Scarlett Johansson has never really gone over that well anyway. Here’s The Verge’s reporting on the film’s director from November of last year. And Slashfilm from June 2016. Granted, the name chance is a relatively minor detail, all told, but it’s a very clear sidestep to try and avoid accusations of whitewashing that they haven’t been able to sidestep since it came out that Scarlett Johansson would be playing the role in the first place.

>As Entertainment Weekly reports, original creator Mamoru Oshii seemed to believe she had the character of Motoko, not Mira. Additionally, here’s their quote from producer Steven Paul, originally via BuzzFeed:

>“I don’t think it was just a Japanese story. Ghost in the Shell was a very international story…”

http://culturess.com/2017/03/01/ghost-shell-changed-name-main-character/
>>
Honestly it is weird to see non Asians play Asian characters, or at least those that can't pass as Asian.
>>
Wouldve been very uncomfortable to see a completely non-japanese white girl named Motoko Kusanagi on screen
>>
>>15277237

No it wouldn't since her white girl form is just a robot body.
>>
While their at it can they change the title? So that they can remove any bit of similarity left?
>>
I don't hate this to be honest.
>>
>>15277142
Good!

Now I won't be seeing Scarjo when I google Motoko!

Let them distance themselves as much as possible from the source material, that's the best way around it.
>>
File: 27655850_p0.png (395KB, 635x903px) Image search: [Google]
27655850_p0.png
395KB, 635x903px
>>15277180
non-Asian actresses playing Asian characters isn't as bad as ugly actresses playing attractive characters.

So now that it's confirmed not to be the same character, I'm a little relieved.

Motoko will forever remain the only true Major.
>>
>>15277316

This.
>>
>>15277352

They are probably going to set it up so that she's actually Motoko but they changed her identity for the obvious "they stole my life, now I want it back" plot.
>>
>>15277142
>Okay so we need a script for the GiTS movie
>We can just repurpose one of these scripts that weren't good enough to stand on their own
*6 months later*
>So did you remember to edit everyone's name before recording started right?
>Do what now?
>>
The description for some concept artbook a while ago showed her name is going to be Mira Killian.

Major Mira Killian.
>>
>>15277142
Actually, this is ok. Let them try the Robotech treatment. Assuming the movie is good, everyone wins.

If its shit, GITS just has a G-Saviour attached to its name.
>>
>>15277142
"Motoko Kusanagi" was implied to be a codename anyways. The English equivalent of that name would be "Jane Excalibur".
>>
>>15277180
Except the major is Japanese in name only, its been established that her body is more European in nature. Which makes sense considering the whole premise of the film is her struggle with her humanity and subsequent detachment from via having a prosthetic body since early childhood.
>>
>>15277391
true, but the point is that since the movie is embarrassing, the less directly tied to the original franchise it is, the better it'll be for everyone involved.
>>
>>15277402

Yeah they should rename it to Spirit in the Husk too.
>>
>>15277394
>its been established
where exactly?

She's one of the most asian-looking characters of the setting in almost every continuity up until now.

Was it ever told at any point that she's supposed to look caucasian or is that something you just made up?

I wouldn't be against a caucasian-looking Motoko, by the way. But that sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>15277394
>the film is her struggle with her humanity and subsequent detachment from via having a prosthetic body since early childhood.
Which film? The first Oshii one? The childhood parts are only in other entries, it's never mentioned in the film. For the most part, the Major is incredibly underdeveloped and underused in the film, which is largely why I hate the movie. If you could point to me a single serious scene where the Major "struggles with her humanity" that isn't the diving scene, then feel free to do so.
The "Ghost in the Shell" of the Oshii film always felt more to be the AI that gets wacked, but that's it. The film was always incredibly shallow in its characterisation so this new upcoming live-action one does NOT have to do much to surpass it.
>>
>>15277410
Yeah but they'd lose the pun of the original title (cause a Shell is like the program that runs the user interface of a computer or something, but koukaku also translates as "urn" so it sounds like a spooky japanese ghost story title)
>>
>>15277417
True.

But that's just Oshii's "the characters don't matter" approach to filmmaking.
Hollywood movies are normally all about characters being characters.
>>
Just because Live Die Repeat was good Hollywood has gotten cocky.
>>
>>15277417
The ending scene where she's laying next to the puppetmaster as they merge consciousnesses together is another scene that somewhat points to that reference. You're right though, the characterization in the movie is rather weak, but it's also mentioned in SAC quite a bit as well.
>>
>>15277444

When has Hollywood ever been not cocky?
>>
File: 1471963871476.png (306KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471963871476.png
306KB, 1000x1000px
>>15277142
Why are people so angry at this movie?
It's not like GitS will stop existing.
>>
>>15279122
because seeing a waste of a decent IP happen is really sad. In the right hands, with the right cast, this movie could have been good and it's sad to realize that.

But you already know that, despite your attempt to come off as a nonplussed maid who doesn't let bad things annoy her like a normal human being.
>>
What should they rename this movie too since it is looking less and less like Gits?

I go with "Eyes Without a a Face."
>>
>>15277414
>She's one of the most asian-looking characters of the setting in almost every continuity up until now.

If by Asian you mean "generic anime face with purple hair" they yeah. Togusa, Aramaki, and Ishikawa were always the most Japanese to me.
>>
>>15281332

Ishikawa is black now.
>>
>>15277417
>For the most part, the Major is incredibly underdeveloped and underused in the film,
You're a fucking idiot that movie was entirely a character piece. How can you watch the diving scene and come away thinking that her character isn't the focus?
>>
File: 1294315708868.png (96KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1294315708868.png
96KB, 200x200px
>>15277142
Man, now I can't call her Worstoko Kusonagi anymore.
Can't the west do ANYTHING right? Not even one thing?
>>
>>15281384
Her character is the focus but you're a fucking moron if you think that she's given solid characterization and development.
We have no idea what she's like outside of her existential crisis. And since that existential crisis is intentionally induced by the puppetmaster, it might as well happen to a completely different character.

Preferably a character with emotions, a background, long-term goals, affective relationships, ambitions, personal interests, beliefs and a general outlook on life that might be challenged by the events of the movie.

All movie Motoko has is a bunch of doubts, self-destructive tendencies and a job she doesn't really take seriously. And two of those are caused by another character who's trying to manipulate her. She's a very one-dimensional character

Sure it's a character piece (on top of being a ghost story and a mystery thriller) but since the character in question is very characterless, what happens to her is weightless and meaningless since she doesn't really seem to have anything to lose by facing or embracing her fears.

And maybe that's the point, that she was wrong to worry about what might become of her because she was never a real person anyway.

But if it's the case, man that's a weak-ass character arc.
>>
>>15281424
>Worstoko Kusonagi
kek
>>
File: gits live action black dude.png (194KB, 349x365px) Image search: [Google]
gits live action black dude.png
194KB, 349x365px
>>15281345
He's seen some shit (or is this a different character?)
>>
>>What if we're all robots?
>>Can an AI become human?

It's not like the original movie was super deep. It just had a lot of scenes with no dialogue
>>
you had one job
>>
>>15281450

I think he's the other black guy.
>>
>>15281461
actually they had a lot of jobs.

Ghost in the Shell tries to do a hell of a lot of different things, you know. There's a lot of things that can fail, and some of them did fail in the previous installments.

Making a good GitS story without skipping over a lot of the franchise's aspects, tones and themes is really tough.
>>
>>15277394
>Except the major is Japanese in name only, its been established that her body is more European in nature.
We just know that it's a common sexbot body and it's not out of place in Asia.

In fact, Arise gave her pronounced asian features like a positive canthal tilt and upturned almond eyes and a more rounded head. She basically looks like a good looking jpop star. Given, her eyes are still oversized but that's par for the course.

That said, in the Oshii films she looks caucasian with some exotic features, so slavic.
>>
File: bestoko.jpg (308KB, 412x473px) Image search: [Google]
bestoko.jpg
308KB, 412x473px
So this means that the REAL Major might conceivably come across the cheap corporate knock-off called "Mira Killian" and kick her jello-filled ass, huh?

Then the rest of S9 would defect and hire her instead!
>>
>>15281424
yeah but now she's officially NOToko
>>
>>15277316
Holy shit this is a good post.

Contain Hollywood normalfag trash from the source. Keeps everyone happy.
>>
>>15277410
Nah.

>Matrix in the shell

Could work.
>>
>>15281588
I wanna tickle that Motoko.
>>
https://twitter.com/ghostinshell/status/838479496390967297

Wub intensifies.
>>
>>15284813
not clicking that shit

did they put a dubstep soundtrack in there or something?
>>
File: GitS Gud.png (235KB, 384x342px) Image search: [Google]
GitS Gud.png
235KB, 384x342px
>>15284813
WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB
>>
>>15284813
>https://twitter.com/ghostinshell/status/838479496390967297
I was trying to keep an open mind about this, but Lord, it seems like they're going for the most generic sci-fi soundtrack and cinematography imaginable and taking away everything that made the original ghost in the shell so disntictive. :(
>>
File: gits scarjo.png (886KB, 1100x780px) Image search: [Google]
gits scarjo.png
886KB, 1100x780px
>>
>>15284826
Dubstep AND inception horns holy shit

I'm honestly not that bothered about the movie itself, I think it'll turn out to be at least half decent, but this is just fucking cancer and I hope Steve Aoki dies in a fire.
>>
I really don't know who this movie is for. I'm honestly looking forward to the Power Rangers film/reboot more.
>>
>>15277142
>Ghost in the Shell was a very international story

If that were the case, you wouldn't be doing "total recall" type plot with it.
>>
>>15277142
>a very international story
no it's not. It's about Japan's political situation around the year 2000, about the resurgence of japanese feudalism and shinto/tao mysticism in the machine age, and about pseudo-buddhist rejection of materialism.

And of course there's Oshii's use of ching-chong music and zen aesthetics.

It's Japanese as fuck, to the point where Section 9 is introduced drinking sake in a cherry blossom garden.

There's maybe a handful of references to western philosophy from the Puppetmaster but they're vague and clumsy.
>>
>>15288426

Oshii says you are wrong.
Embrace the globalist multiculturalism.
>>
>>15288431
People will say a lot of things for money.

But it doesn't matter anyway. Oshii, for all the undeserved credit he gets, was only the director. There was a whole host of producers, editors, artists, and a screenplay writer.

The director is important but the producers get together with the writers, storyboarders, editors, etc. and come up with the concept, story, initial art direction, etc. before the director takes center stage. And the staff continue to influence the production.
>>
>>15277394
>its been established that her body is more European in nature
It's like you didn't even read the supplementry notes/materials Shirow wrote/did throughout all his series. That or you think "established" and "fan-theorized" are inter-changable.
>>
fuckin kek https://twitter.com/GhostInShell/status/838479496390967297
>>
>>15277142
>original creator Mamoru Oshii
. . . . . . .
>>
File: 1470434970093.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1470434970093.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>15277365
>Killian
my sides
it couldn't go this well but it did
>>
>>15288992
Wtf? It's just noise. Is that actually the remix or did something go wrong with their trailer's sound?
>>
>>15277142
>Don't particularly like the main actress
>They're even going to change names too
Neat
Now it just needs to actually be bad when it comes out and I won't have to force myself to sit through it
>>
>>15279435
>In the right hands, with the right cast, this movie could have been good
who's exactly
>>
>>15277142
I'm still going to see this shtity movie anyway because I fucking love the GitS Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jry_oPfPhdY

At least props to the director for requesting actors and physical geisha masks instead of doing entirely "loldigital"
>>
>>15288464
That's only true in the studio scene where the director isn't acting as auteur.
>>
>>15290239
Why would you even want to be served by creepy robot geisha?

Why would they have the ability to hack into peoples brains in the first place?
>>
File: life.jpg (17KB, 148x288px) Image search: [Google]
life.jpg
17KB, 148x288px
>>15289418
A fan of the series? Someone who wants to port the existing material over to live action, rather than dumb it down and pump it full of modern trends. Of course the movie isn't out yet but with all the information available so far I doubt you can reasonably say it looks promising. If you can, i'm jealous.
>>
>I don’t think it was just a Japanese story. Ghost in the Shell was a very international story

GitS is Japanese as fuck. It criticizes the JSDF law and late-90s/early-2000s Japanese culture at every possible opportunity.
>>
File: legion.gif (90KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
legion.gif
90KB, 500x500px
>>15284813
I'm not the type to hate on people or their work because I like to think people put their soul into this stuff. But jeez louise.

WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB ZZZZZZZZTTTTT
>>
>>15277142
Still not going to see it in theaters. I hope it bombs; it's the "Jesse Jackson's presidential campaign" of live action anime adaptations; if it gets in it poisons the well.

I'm not just annoyed that after years of passing over Asians for race neutral roles, you finally have a high-profile role in a mass-market-yet-visionary property and they go and give it to the whitest chick in the industry. I'm annoyed because THEY COULD HAVE HAD BOTH AND HAD IT CONTRIBUTE TO THE PLOT by having Scarjo's body be a stock fashion model or something that gets destroyed during an operation, illustrating the Major's body-swapping capabilities. So half the film it's her, half the film its an up-and-coming Asian-American actress. Maybe Scarjo's body comes back into play with another ghost later or something.

But no, it's just Black Lucy Does The Matrix.
>>
>>15281450
This annoys me as a black guy. We're still under/misrepresented in American film, but Asians have it worse. Other movies I mighy be okay with a raceswap like this, but it's particularly egregrious here. I felt the same way about The Last Airbender. It's not like Elba as Heimdall, more like Christiam Bale as the mythical version of Sundiata Keita.
>>
>>15292138

Elba as Heimdall is as dumb as black Ishikawa.
>>
>Not just call her Major/The Major through the film and cheekily obscure her name when it comes up.
>>
Might as well ask here. Is the re-released manga worth picking up?
>>
>>15288426
>use of ching-chong music

Isn't he song they're singing some sort of Eastern European wedding song?
But yeah, the movies never really have much of a fuck about the rest of the world.
>>
>>15290239
I love the props they're making but that's probably gonna be the extent of it.
Also worth noting, they kind of forgot people are supposed to fuck these things...
>>
>>15277142
imagine forcing yourself to keep a straight face as everyone has a somewhat japaneseish name in the dragonball movie
or calling that bald white boi ang in M nite hsknyshylshysmama's Avatar
>>
>>15292230
On the subject of fucking the robots, would innocence have worked as a high-concept thriller adaptation for hollywood?
Correct me if I'm mistaken as I haven't watched in a while, but Innocence was literally about
>fucking children
in mind only, but still
>>
>>15292256
>dragonball
so what should Goku be, anyway
he's a Japanese re-imagining of a Chinese myth as a space alien
>>
>>15292268
Going by Immigration Standards
>Bertolucci woulf be burt
>Franz would be Frank
>Sato would be stan
>Goku would be
George?
>>
>>15284813

why
>>
>>15286955
>distinctive.

Both this new movie and Oshii's movie are generic as fuck. They just belong to different genres, with different standards.

Oshii's movie is a typical 80s-90s scifi/supernatural horror/thriller anime film. There's a good dozen of those with varying degrees of quality, but fundamentally the same style and formula.

Elektraviolet in the Triniflux Rayne: Retribloodlines (shit I'm making it sound way more fun than it is) is a typical mid-2000s Blade/Matrix ripoff with expressionless skintight latex action womanoid kicking bad guys in balls in sped-up slo-mo while wondering about meaning of life and heroism of shooting guns of john woo choreography.
With a hint of 2010s soulless scifi reboot and gritty capeshit/fairytale to make it less fun and more palatable to post-Dark Knight audiences.

And, certainly, the first genre inspired the latter to a good degree, with The Matrix being the transition point.

But when you get down to it, it's not a matter of being stylistically distinctive, it's a matter of being well-executed.

The first two Blade movies were really fucking fun, for example. But that's mostly because the characters were charismatic and cool-looking. Which ain't the case here.
>>
>>15292221
does "ah ga maeba washite yomi ni keri" sound european to you?
>>
>>15292266
Innocence has the same problem: the robots are unfuckable. And they're physically not able to express the emotions the kids in their brain were lobotomized specifically to make them express, because Oshii doesn't care for verisimilitude and just wants to put creepy dolls in his movie even if it makes no sense in-universe.

it's the same shit here
>>
>>15292309

Innocence was also boring as fuck.
>>
File: Batou.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Batou.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>15292296
>Elektraviolet in the Triniflux Rayne: Retribloodlines

I'd watch that.

I wouldn't pay for it but I'd watch it.
>>
>>15292309
>the ending where Motoko tries to crack open a hatch and tears her cyborg arms off from the strain was really memorable
>I know I'll do the exact same thing again in Innocence
It really is the same shit here. "The Ghost in the Shell movie was popular enough, let's try selling it again in a new package."
>>
>>15292296
Hmm, true enough--thinking about it, you can definitely see how Oshii drew on earlier cyberpunk anime. But you're right, it is a matter of being well executed. The original GiTS was beautiful to look at and listen to, but this one...as anons have already mentioned, WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB
>>
File: Pepeintheshell.jpg (17KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
Pepeintheshell.jpg
17KB, 255x255px
i still can't get over Batou's tiny wee button eyes.
>>
>>15292381
They'd look okay if he didn't have a tiny jaw and a massive forehead.

The guys who made those prosthetics clearly didn't understand that they're supposed to look like Steaven Seagall's round sunglasses.

But that's probably because they've never read Masamune Shirow's interviews, due to their belief that Oshii is the original creator of the franchise.
>>
File: slutoko.jpg (158KB, 560x536px) Image search: [Google]
slutoko.jpg
158KB, 560x536px
>>15292397
slutoko
>>
>>15292299
I'm not talking about the language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVqrW-fPOQ0

>Kenji Kawai originally wanted to use Bulgarian folk singers, but was unable to find any, so he relied on the Japanese folk song choir he used earlier in the Ranma 1/2 anime. The song uses an ancient form of the Japanese language mixed with Bulgarian harmony and traditional Japanese notes.
>>
File: master league gamer.png (105KB, 254x195px) Image search: [Google]
master league gamer.png
105KB, 254x195px
What do you all have against dubstep?

Aren't you all members of the MLG elite masterrace?

scrubs
>>
>>15292389
>due to their belief that Oshii is the original creator of the franchise.

Stop this. Read the article, dumbass. The culturess author misinterprets the Entertainment Weekly article that they're citing and obviously has no clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>15292142
Nah. It was silly but it worked. And it's the only raceswap I'll believe was 100% because of the skill of the actor, aside from Jeff Goldblum's daughter in the second Jurassic Park movie (what with it being so inexplicable that there's no other explanation).
>>
>>15292409
That's crazy, I thought it was purely Japanese. So, Bulgarian harmony is a characteristic separation of concurrent notes, applied to Japanese notes that often fall in between the Western scale? Someone who knows this shit pls analyze for us.
>>
>>15292296
That's why I say they should have gotten an Asian American dancer for the Major. She doesn't need to be played by an amazing actor. She needs to be able to quip, thousand-yard stare, and MOVE. The window scene is embarrassing because SJ is so stiff. Imagine if they'd gotten someone with actual flexibility.
>>
File: 017.jpg (581KB, 1075x1518px) Image search: [Google]
017.jpg
581KB, 1075x1518px
>>15292404
>>
>>15292444
>quip
only if they're going for SACtoko
>>
>>15292481
Or the manga.
>>
>>15292496
>>15292481
Obviously. She's more interesting as a character, and Hollywood is obsessed with character-driven films anyhow. We were never going to get a serious philosophical exploration of the nature of self in a body-hopping future. Did you see The Arrival? They turned a short story as much about the nature of language and perception as it was about the actual narrative into something almost purely about the main heroine.
>>
File: dumbing it down.jpg (63KB, 850x476px) Image search: [Google]
dumbing it down.jpg
63KB, 850x476px
>>
>>15292518
wow that kinda sounds like a load of bullshit from a director-for-hire who only directed a gritty fairytale movie and doesn't care about the craft of filmmaking.

I wonder why.
>>
>>15292518
Oh boy I'm ready to get culturally enriched by the ethnically-diverse section 9!
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.