[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MAKING ANIME REAL: How to get career in making giant robots?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1477512162163.jpg (75KB, 564x725px) Image search: [Google]
1477512162163.jpg
75KB, 564x725px
So, I'm a twenty going on twenty one year old man who doesnt know what to do with himself.

I'm thinking robots might be cool. I'm canadian and live in Calgary. Debating putting myself in debt to take engineering at the university.

Problem is, what career can I pursue so that I can make robots for a living? Like, the guys at boston dynamics. They're livin' the dream, building gundams and scopedogs and shit all the while getting paid for it.

They're paid to fuck around. It's great.

What do? Also, dont take my intellect into account. Im working on it, researching ways to make myself smarter(googling pills, going to talk to a nutrionist soon, ect)because Im the first to admit Im not too bright(others say I just lack motivation and concentration, but same difference, eh?)
>>
File: 1485614535459.jpg (88KB, 856x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485614535459.jpg
88KB, 856x960px
>>15277037
>don't take my intellect into account
>researching ways to make myself smarter(googling pills, going to talk to a nutrionist

If you really think all it takes to become a brilliant engineer and get a job at some top tier DARPA-funded engineering firm like Boston Dynamics is popping a couple pills and eating well you're not going to go anywhere in life.
>>
>>15277037

If you want to make robots for a living, I'd say your best best to combine mechanical engineering and an art degree. Try to make robots for movies and design robots for video games.

Actual functional robots are not a thing, but robots are popular in fiction and someone has to design those.
>>
File: HARDWORK AND GUTS.gif (318KB, 450x650px) Image search: [Google]
HARDWORK AND GUTS.gif
318KB, 450x650px
>>15277057
I realize it takes hard work and guts and yada yada, but Im just deathly afraid Im too stupid for anything.

I just want to figure out how to make my brain smarter. Im also going to the gym, because I heard that strenuous physical activity makes your brain better some how.

Im just feeling incredibly lost and not knowing what to do with my life. Scrubbing toilets is shit.
>>
>>15277037

How the fuck do YOU define intellect?

Because true engineering talent is about thinking outside the box and solving problems with elegant yet simple solutions, not something as trivial as being good at math or some shit.

Human calculators are for circus sideshows.
>>
>>15277071
>Im just deathly afraid Im too stupid for anything.

With that mentality you really are going to end up scrubbing toilets for the rest of your life.
>>
>>15277037
Wanting giant robots to be real is fucking retarded.

Giant robots are only cool when they're fictional because none of the horrible shit they do (mostly destroying stuff) has any real consequences.

So I can only assume that you want to destroy things on a large scale, because that's what giant robots do.

If you want to destroy things become an engineer and blow up the nuclear reactor you're supposed to maintain.
>>
>>15277037

Can't pay for college? Enlist.

Get free college after.

And maybe you'll learn the work and mental ethics necessary to become a half decent engineer while you serve
>>
>>15277077
Good point.

I just figured I need to know a fuckton of math and physics in order to even apply solutions to problems.

Because no one wants to be the "idea guy who doesnt actually fucking do anything".

>>15277083
Cant scrub toilets for rest of my life if I throw myself off a bridge lol

But really, I'm just afraid of wasting time and money. My mother has always told me to find a good high paying job as soon as possible so Im not poor for the rest of my life. She raised me and my two siblings on less then nine hundred bucks a month for most of my child hood.
Now obviously, she doesnt want me to live in dire straits, and neither do i want to, but I just feel a great amount of pressure.

Also, I flunked an electrician course. A fucking electrician course by like ten percent. It's jsut wiring shit.

I really only started this thread as a meme, but I do legitimately think that building robots is cool.

>>15277105
Nuclear reactors dont blow up, they melt down m'dude.

Also, one portmanteau: Constructo-Bots

>>15277107
Was considering it. I might go down to the Recruitment center today, talk with them. Should I go for a combat engineer role, for the sake of experience?
>>
>>15277113
>Should I go for a combat engineer role, for the sake of experience?

There are a ton of engineering related positions to aim for. Do some research and talk to a recruiter, but take everything he/she says with a grain of salt. Try to get a second opinion when possible.

You can ask on the MEG (military enlistment general) on /k/ for more info too, honest opinions that aren't sugarcoated by recruiter-speak
>>
>>15277131

Combat engineers are cool dudes.

Wouldn't want to hump their rucks, though.
>>
>>15277071
Just actually study your craft often.
Your mind possesses incredible plasticity.
>>
>>15277037
>Anon dooms humanity to perpetrate the Black History because he still wanted to build Gunpla as a career.
>>
>>15277520
>implying black history isn't best history
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.