[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kazutaka Miyatake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 17

File: destroid-tomahawk.gif (150KB, 575x800px) Image search: [Google]
destroid-tomahawk.gif
150KB, 575x800px
Is he the most underrated mecha designer of all time?

>SDF Macross
>Dunbine
>Orguss
>Starship Troopers
>SB Yamato
>Gunbuster
>Dirty Pair
>>
dunbine is fuckin tight
>>
File: st power armor.gif (187KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
st power armor.gif
187KB, 384x576px
>>15275524
Not so much 'underrated' as 'underused'. Almost every show he worked on, he either played second fiddle to someone or got hijacked mid-way.

>SDF Macross
2nd to Kawamori because he didn't design the VF's, though technically everything else in the show was his.
>Dunbine
Did a handful of mecha designs but got hijacked by Izubuchi quarter way in.
>Orguss
One of the few rare times where every design was his, but unfortunately overshadowed by Macross, and to this day it remains one of the most obscure mecha anime, even more than Xabungle. We don't even have proper lineart of all the designs.
>Starship Troopers
He was one of the two people who worked on the Powersuit, and that's really all he designed for it.
>SB Yamato
Another shared credit, but the original design belonged to Matsumoto. Don't even think about it, Lazy shitposter.
>Gunbuster
Koichi Ohata designed that, I think Miyatake only worked on the ships like Exelion.
>Dirty Pair
Was there any really notable mecha design in that show?

Regardless, he is one of the oldest mecha designers out there career-wise, since he started doing mechanical design since the mid-70's well before the likes of Kawamori or Nagano even popped up, and his Powersuit and Destroid designs are some of the most influential out there, especially when it comes to western mecha design. It's because he's so influential that I can't really consider him "underrated", if anything others like Fujita or Akitaka or even the aforementioned Ohata are far more underrated and underexposed.
>>
File: 60LTD2_final1.jpg (383KB, 2994x1500px) Image search: [Google]
60LTD2_final1.jpg
383KB, 2994x1500px
>>15275524
On another note, I want those Yamato Destroid figures to be reissued so badly. Some of my holy grails right there. Along with that Hi-Metal Monster.
>>
>>15275632
There's actually tons of mech designs in Dirty Pair, especially power armour wise.
>>
>>15275524

He even designed the Little Garden from the animated adaptation of Hundred.
>>
>>15275632
>>SDF Macross
>>Dunbine
>>Orguss

He couldn't work on all three because his father died and he had to take over his family business:

>I split the work with Kawamori. Thus, I could concentrate on my work for “Dunbine”. For “Orguss”, we got Yasushi Ishizu a young designer who had just joined Nue. He’s got a certain particular sense about things, so I just gave him a few words of advice and left him to handle it. That’s how I dealt with the three works. Just at that time, my mother, who had been minding our self-defence-related items shop in Yokosuka all by herself after my father died, also collapsed. The work at the shop involved a lot of complicated contracts, and so it all got thrown into confusion what with her hospitalization and subsequent emergency surgery. It got to the point where I couldn’t just be holed up in a studio in Tokyo, I needed to go over and stay at Yokosuka several times a week, and as a result, got very little work done.

>I no longer had the time to be doing designs for three shows, so I had to concentrate on one, and since I couldn’t just leave the new guy Ishizu-kun alone, I had to focus on “Orguss”. I needed to reorganize, so I greatly reduced my amount of work for the “Macross” movie, and I left the remainder of work on “Dunbine” to Bucchan (Yutaka Izubuchi [Please Google him if you have not heard of him! It’s worth it! –Renato]). As for the shop in Yokosuka, I ended up cutting all the governmental contracts, and only renewed the ones that I couldn’t run away from. So I had to get in a car and run all over the place to make deliveries and whatnot. My parents had told me that they didn’t need me to continue to run the shop, so I had chosen to do design work [as a career -R], but with both of my parents in such a situation, and me being the only son, I had to close the shop myself

http://www.macrossworld.com/kazutaka-miyatake-interview-from-megahouse-variable-action-hi-spec-orguss/
>>
File: img20151014211615.jpg (152KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
img20151014211615.jpg
152KB, 1024x683px
>>15275632
>It's because he's so influential that I can't really consider him "underrated"

Yeah, but how many Western artists actually credit him as their inspiration rather than wrongfully attributing their design styling to Harmony Gold? And even among actual Macross fans it feels like he's almost completely ignored in favor of Kawamori wank.

I mean hell, how many people noticed that he was replaced by Ishigaki from Zero onward as the series' secondary designer? That was quite the bummer if you ask me.
>>
>>15276237
>Yeah, but how many Western artists actually credit him as their inspiration rather than wrongfully attributing their design styling to Harmony Gold?

Why would they attribute it to Harmony Gold instead of FASA? It's not like Robotech has any new animation in it, destroids still do jack shit except for explode. Battletech is the only place where those designs are anything other than background fodder.
>>
>>15275957
They mention that as being during the production of DYRL, so presumably the work he did for the TV-show was already over with.The Article doesn't really mention Dunbine, but as for his work on Orguss,
>I left it up to Ishizu-kun and Yokoyama-kun, and as I watched them from the side lines, I saw some weird thing begin to emerge. I thought, this could be interesting. The problem was, there was no time to put all of that together. We wouldn’t make it. It really is a total shame, but I ended up taking over from that point, placed Ishizu-kun into a “sub” position, and tackled the Orguss design once more from scratch.
Emphasis on the last sentence.
>>
>>15276730
Now that you mention it Battletech is probably the only place where you will see a Valkyrie running for dear life from a Destroid.

Unless it's König Monster.
>>
File: item shop.png (111KB, 416x224px) Image search: [Google]
item shop.png
111KB, 416x224px
>>15275957
>my mother, who had been minding our self-defence-related items shop in Yokosuka

What did he mean by this, /m/?
>>
I suddenly have an urge to get a Destroid Tomahawk kit.
>>
>>15275632
>SDF Macross
>2nd to Kawamori because he didn't design the VF's, though technically everything else in the show was his.

I guess that explains why I like just about everything in SDF macross better than the actual VFs
>>
>>15277479

Unless you absolutely want to do the painting yourself, there's also an upcoming HMR toy to consider.
>>
>>15277526
I am already considering the paint job.
>>
>>15277494
When it comes to actual mecha design that is more than just a transforming biped robot, he's vastly superior to Kawamori.
>>
>>15277597
That's because unlike Kawamori, he draws more than just mecha.
>>
>>15277597
yes, instead of a transforming biped robot its just a biped robot.
how innovative.
>>
so wait, his iconic starship trooper armor looks just like the (awesome) maschinen kreiger armor suits.... Did he design those masterpieces too?
>>
>>15278504
Those are by Kow Yokoyama, but Miyatake's Powersuit came almost a decade before.
>>
>>15278510
I thought mashinen kreiger was from the 80s. The boxes look retto
>>
File: us01.jpg (695KB, 800x1071px) Image search: [Google]
us01.jpg
695KB, 800x1071px
>>15278531
It was, but the Miyatake Powersuit came out in the 70s to match the Japanese publication of the book back then.

In fact I'm almost certain the original Guncannon's design was inspired by the Powersuit as well.
>>
>>15275524
because his designs are very outdated.

not retro, OUTDATED.

not saying it's bad btw, i love Tomahawk.
>>
File: 4150106347.jpg (22KB, 260x375px) Image search: [Google]
4150106347.jpg
22KB, 260x375px
>>15278551
AWESOME,!! REMINDS me of the japanese "forever war" book covers... Looks like he was commissioned for them...
>>
File: bear.jpg (134KB, 967x967px) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
134KB, 967x967px
>>15275957
>>15275632

He's had a hard life.
>>
>>15276237
Because most Macross fans are fans of the VF's.
Destorids are overlooked because they're boring as fuck.
>>
>>15278551
>In fact I'm almost certain the original Guncannon's design was inspired by the Powersuit as well.

Wow, I just gained a whole new level of appreciation for that design.
>>
>>15278580
>Because most Macross fans are fans of the VF's.

Nowadays most of them are idolfags and nothing more.
>>
>>15275524

Considering the quality of his designs, I think he's more than fairly rated.
>>
>>15278564
Naoyuki Katoh designed and painted that one. Miyatake and him often work together, most notably on Starship Troopers.

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/katohst/
>>
>>15278551
>>15278596
Studio Nue and Miyatake were both involved with the original designs for 0079 even before Okawara was brought onboard, so that influence isn't coincidental.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/07/29/kunio-okawara-the-man-who-designed-gundam-and-created-the-profession-of-mechanical-design/#4379f4ed39db

>“Studio Nue's initial design influence came in the form of the Guncannon and this was done by Kazutaka Miyatake who had recently worked on the illustrations for the Starship Troopers novel. However, Yasuhiko brought me in around this time, as this early Guncannon design wasn't strong enough to lead the whole project. So not protagonist material and I proposed the Gundam instead."
>>
>>15278575
When you think about it, he should be a millionaire bynow thanks to all the money FASA owes him for Battletech and Harmony Gold for Macross, but of course he didn't get a single dime.
>>
He even did the Cross Ange Dragons.

For me he is a creature designer, creature mech(Dunbine), hard sci fi robot(destroids) and Japanese sci-fi ships(Yamato EDF and Andromeda, SRW OG Hagane ).

On the organic design side, he shares a lot with Izbuchi.
>>
>>15278668

His fantastic creature designs in M7 is partially why I find future space fairing Macross sequels so disappointing: all their creature designs are just generic JRPG monsters in comparison.
>>
>>15278580
>Destroids are overlooked because people have shit taste
Fixed.

VFs can go fuck a dick, they're dumb and ugly.
>>
>>15281764

Yes anon, I'm sure you and your fellow autists are bastions of good taste.
>>
>>15281745
Maybe because every Macross sequel after M7 had all its designs made in shitty PS2 era CGI.
>>
File: destroid-monster.gif (167KB, 1000x777px) Image search: [Google]
destroid-monster.gif
167KB, 1000x777px
>>15278580
Destorids are overlooked because they're boring as fuck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: heavysoldiervajra-upright[1].jpg (144KB, 1300x774px) Image search: [Google]
heavysoldiervajra-upright[1].jpg
144KB, 1300x774px
>>15281962

I don't quite think the CGI is to blame here because they somehow look a lot more awkward in 2D.
>>
>>15281972
Thanks for proving his point.
>>
>>15282115
thanks for missing mine.
>>
>>15281764
Go back to your chicken walkers already.
>>
>>15281764
VF's are the pretty much the only reason Macross ever got as popular as it did.
Don't kid yourself, Miyatake might have had talent, but without Kawamori it wouldn't have mattered.
>>
>>15275632
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT1afUWV8N8
BELIEVE
CARMENCITAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>15275632
Isn't this by Shinji Aramaki?
>>
File: madox-01.jpg (109KB, 531x730px) Image search: [Google]
madox-01.jpg
109KB, 531x730px
>>15293092
Aramaki designed the one from MADOX-01, which looks similar but came way after Miyatake's.
>>
>>15275524
Ah, what a beautiful warham-- I mean what a beautiful destroid.
>>
File: Kaneel1462894132[1].jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kaneel1462894132[1].jpg
56KB, 600x600px
It's a shame that Orguss was such a half-assed show. Aside from the intriguing plot it presents, the Orguss itself is a very nice design that could have been one of the many iconic transformable mecha of the 80s.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.