[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what if it were as easy to steal military equipment as it is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: nona poopltoon.png (501KB, 719x537px) Image search: [Google]
nona poopltoon.png
501KB, 719x537px
what if it were as easy to steal military equipment as it is in gundam?

is it?

I mean can i just walk onto a base and hop in a plane and gtfo?
>>
File: 1478959047572.gif (1002KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1478959047572.gif
1002KB, 500x374px
>>15275198
>>
>>15275198
>I mean can i just walk onto a base and hop in a plane and gtfo?

About as easy as a teenager with a 3 inch thick instruction manual getting into a military base under attack and hopping into a gundam. Learning how to operate it in less than 5 seconds and carry out a successful attack on a seasoned zeon warrior in a zaku. How's that for realism ?
>>
>>15275217
so i just gotta get gud?
>>
>>15275217
Just goes to show how advanced the tech is if even a kid can just hop in and pilot it. A major goal in designing weaponry is ease of use and reliability. The Gundam represents just that.

If you want "realism" SEED must be better since the Gundams were impossible to pilot unless you were a super baby with > peak natural human intelligence.
>>
>>15275220
Yep.
>>
>>15275198
It is that easy. Military vehicles don't keys, if you get past the guards you can just hop in and turn one on. The tricky part is understanding its operations enough to actually pilot or drive the thing.
>>
>>15275198
http://articles.latimes.com/1995-05-18/news/mn-3239_1_m-60-tank
>>
>>15275689
The key difference here being that the tank wasn't loaded with ammo, so the rampage was due to the tank's tankyness alone.
Unlike Gato, who literally managed to steal a nuclear warhead from a military base, the Gundam was just the delivery system.
Makes me wonder if the writers of 0083 were reading cold war-era military novels or something when they came up with that plot.
>>
>>15275696
Gato didn't steal the warhead, he only took the Gundam which already had the warhead loaded on it in advance. OP was asking if it was easy to steal something like a plane and take off, and it is as long as no one spots you or if it wasn't being guarded.

If that M60 happened to be prepped for training exercises with ammo, then it would have had ammo. The person stealing the vehicle didn't load the machine with munitions.
>>
It's been established, time and again, that you don't want keys on your military weapons, because it prevents them from being immediately readied in the event of an attack. Those few seconds it takes to reach into your pocket, grab the keys, put them into the ignition and start the engine could easily mean life or death. To say nothing of what would happen if you lost the keys either through misplacing them or having them bounce into a sewer grate because you tripped and fell while running to your machine.

MP's are supposed to handle security. Military bases have guarded perimeters and multiple layers of security to ensure that only the people who are supposed to be in certain areas, are in those areas. If anything, the unrealistic part of any of these instances of hijacking cutting-edge mobile suits is that Gato or whoever managed to make it past several layers of gun-toting security guards without a fuss.
>>
>>15275745
But he had a feddie uniform!
>>
>>15275752
>Gee, I've never seen that officer before! And we have a gundam with a nuke in today.
>Good evening sir, could I see your pass? And could you also tell me why you're hanging around here? Which unit are you posted to? Who's your CO? I think I need to call him just to confirm you're supposed to be here.
>>
>>15275198
Planes are complicated to fly. If you had no training you wouldn't even be able to start one up. Unless you can read and follow a checklist. While yes the computer does most of the flying these days you still need to know what you're doing.

A mech will probably be less complex than a plane, so it should be easy to hijack one if it was a simple design.
>>
>>15275718
I do wonder why in the hell they loaded a live nuke into the GP02. Obviously the actual reason is that Jamitov and his funtime pals were creating a pretense for the Titans, but there'd have to be some official one that's less treasonous.
>>
>>15275689
Wait what

>1995

I remember seeing this on the news when I was a kid, but I was born in 1997. Has anything else like this happened in the early 2000s? Otherwise, spooky
>>
>>15275778
Well, maybe you just saw a recap on some TV channel. I never saw it on news, but I saw the footage on TV as part of other programs. If you're sure you saw something similar on the news, you might have been the right age to see this guy's armored bulldozer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer
https://www.damninteresting.com/the-wrath-of-the-killdozer/
>>
>>15275773
Not to mention a plane needs hours of maintenance to get it ready for flight. So unless you steal it just at the right moment, you're not going anywhere.
>>
>>15275774
I think it was so in the morning they could just go and start testing without any delays.
>>
>>15275796
That seems like the kind of thing you do with a dummy round.
>>
>>15275845
I think they were doing live firing tests. It's been years since I've seen 0083.
>>
>>15275774
>>15275796
>>15275793
This. Whether it's for testing or live combat use, you DO NOT wait until the last second to perform maintenance and resupply before a scheduled test or operation, even if you're handling something like a nuke. In fact, because this is Anaheim's chance to impress the Feds, the maintenance crew don't want anything to go wrong. Maintenance is performed in advance so if they run into any unforeseen issues, they have time to fix it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with supplying a machine in preparation for the next day.

Lax security is one thing, but complaining that they loaded a nuke onto a nuclear weapons platform for nuclear testing a day or two before the test is just illogical nitpicking. If it were scheduled later a week or more, then it'd be questionable to load it on the suit right away, but just think about it:

The thing isn't that they loaded the nuke on the GP02A and just sat around on their asses waiting for the GP02A to be stolen. That was never the setup. Delaz's men just picked the best time to steal the GP02A.

The Zeon remnants carrying out Stardust had inside info via Orville, the Zeon spy. They knew the timing for the Albion's visit to Torrington and the maintenance schedule for the GP02A. The window of opportunity was when the GP02A was loaded for the nuke test but before the actual test itself. They set up a goddamn ambush with Doms and the Xamel set up in advance.
>>
I mean yes, they are basically button press activation, but that's why bases have cars.

>>15275696

In fairness very recently there was a jet out on a test flight, and the pilot didn't know that the warhead on its missile was nuclear and was meant to be taken off.
>>
>>15275864
have guards, I meant
>>
>>15275845
Launching a nuke is not that special, the GP02A's special snowflake status is that it can launch a fuckhuge nuke and survive on its own. The Gundam's bulkiness isn't just armor to protect it on the way in, but the machine has cooling systems that allow it to survive despite being fairly close to the nuke.

I assume the live test was to show off that it could withstand being fairly close to the nuke going off. It turns out the system wasn't perfect because the left arm wasn't quite strong enough to hold up the shield without getting damaged.
>>
>>15275859
>Lax security is one thing, but complaining that they loaded a nuke onto a nuclear weapons platform for nuclear testing a day or two before the test is just illogical nitpicking.

Weapons like nukes aren't just left in a barrel waiting to be fired. You might have a point for common ammunition, but special load-outs like a tactical nuke, that shit is only going to be put in a short time before embarking for usage.
>>
File: DavyCrockettBomb-e1379539579180.jpg (39KB, 631x330px) Image search: [Google]
DavyCrockettBomb-e1379539579180.jpg
39KB, 631x330px
>>15275873
>The Gundam's bulkiness isn't just armor to protect it on the way in, but the machine has cooling systems that allow it to survive despite being fairly close to the nuke.

In fairness, a nuclear launching device that can't even survive what it is meant to do is a pretty piss-poor design.
>>
>>15275882
See >>15275864

They forgot they left it there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_States_Air_Force_nuclear_weapons_incident
>>
>>15275884
In fairness to the GP02A, it had a fleet killing nuke. That knocked out about 2/3rds of the entire EFF fleet. The Zakus that were equipped with nuclear warheads at the start of the OYW were supposedly firing nuclear warheads with a much lower yield than what the GP02A was toting. The GP02A was expected to be caught within the blast, I guess.
>>
>>15275904
Worth keeping in mind that the parade formation at Konpei was probably a lot closer together than what the fleets were doing in the early OYW (Loum, right?).
>>
>>15275198
Pre-9/11 it's happened multiple times in the US where people just walked on bases and took tanks for joy rides, post-9/11 security was so insane you'd get shot for even looking at a military base, nowadays security is a little more lax but not nearly as lax as it was pre-9/11.
>>
File: Konpeito Naval Review.jpg (541KB, 3048x1082px) Image search: [Google]
Konpeito Naval Review.jpg
541KB, 3048x1082px
>>15275911
Not sure. In stuff like Origin and MS Igloo, they're similarly close.
>>
>>15275859
Were they actually planning on nuking something? I was under the impression they were testing the mech itself and the warhead was a proven thing.
>>
>>15275929
The warhead is proven, the delivery system isn't. Part of the reason why it has to be a live nuclear test is because the GP02A is fitted with all those cooling systems (remember the shield that started gushing coolant when Kou pierced it?) for surviving a high yield nuke, and Anaheim wants to show off that they have what it takes.

I assume the reason why they went out to Australia was because it was a barren wasteland and since it had already been fucked up with wreckage from the Operation British colony drop, they were gonna do the test there.
>>
>>15275217
>realism
I think i need to remember that "realistic mecha" doesnt mean "reaistic documentary war drama", it means "mecha that is somewhat more realistic than giant robots kung-fooing teleporting space aliens n shiet".
>>
>>15276050
>gundamfags actually think non-real robot series are like this
Real real robot just mean military/police themed where robots are a common part of the job.
>>
Why don't they lock the gundam or put passwords on them?
>>
>>15276110
>Why don't they lock the gundam or put passwords on them?

Because then no angsty teenager could possibly drop in just like that in the cockpit and start mayhem. There are a couple of exceptions, Judau and Setsuna but by and large all Gundam pilots just magically find their way to the cockpit and activate it.
>>
>>15275198
>>15276110
>>15276122
Am I the only one who remember that in some of the examples of gundam jack scenario, the perpetrator(s) are implied to have some help from the inside (spies, moles, etc)?.
In 0083 it's clearly shown, in SEED and Destiny it's a throwaway line ("it's just like the report!") but the implications are there.
Lock and password protection are no use when you have some conspirators disabling it. Remember how Ali can hijack Throne Zwei bypassing the biometric lock, after Ali conspiring with the Thrones' own sponsor.
>>
>>15275772
>You seem a little gravity lagged sir, how long you been earth-side? 24 hours? That's funny, the briefing we received stated you were transferring in from a long term posting on Jaburo.
>Croikey sir, your spacenoid accent's pretty thick. Which Side are you from sir? Six? Don't panic sir just my little joke!
>>
>>15275204

>every time when i see this gif and scene
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvPugcb7QGE
>>
>>15275790
Ah yeah, seems the Killdozer was what I remembered. Thanks anon-chan
>>
>>15276394
>>
>>15275198
Technically yes. Rides aren't supposed to be locked in case of emergency (last thing you want is for the filthy commies to destroy freedom because someone lost his keys and couldn't take off).
The issue in Gundam is that their military bases have pretty much no guards.
>>
>>15275940
Plus officially said mech wasn't supposed to exist
>>
>>15275940
The Brits tested nukes in Australia so there's precedence for that.
>>
>>15276519
Once you get past the perimeter, military bases are pretty lax as long as you look like you're supposed to be there.
>>
>>15275217
Didn't amuro compete in junior mobile worker competitions? I know kamille did and Judah used workers for junk collecting
>>
>>15276725
Nobody in this thread who argues about military shit has any actual experience or knowledge, they're just shitting out their mouths. Don't bother trying to educate them, they'll just call you stupid for disagreeing with their 16 year old expertise.
>>
>>15275745

If time starting the vehicle was this important, the military would demand better than diesel engines with shitty glow plugs for all its vehicles.

It's not likely anybody not already familiar with the base and the vehicles in question could pull this off. Prepping an aircraft for take-off takes time and know-how. And if the motorpool you hit up for a tank or even just a truck is anything like the ones I've been around, you stand a good chance of having to try several before you find one that even works like it's supposed to and doesn't require GI voodoo to just start.
>>
>>15275772
While I'd like to believe there would be more security with a nuclear weapon present, from my experiences it really would be as simple as wearing a uniform and walking in.
>>
>>15276503
Poor Bernie.
He completely blow that mission.
>>
>>15277941
Especially if your an officer.
>>
Not quite vehicles per se, but I remember reading that back during the cold war a lot of NATO nuclear weapons were secured with bicycle locks.
>>
>>15279348

Okay, I looked into it. Not quite that but the arming mechanism for most cold war era British nuclear bombs was a single key jobby like the kind found on a bike lock.
>>
>>15277074
Amuro's hobby was building robots, and he actually had a little bit of time to read the manual before jumping in the cockpit, and consulted the manual when he didn't know what to do. The constant life or death scenarios constantly pushed him to the limits of his ability so he could grow.

Kamille and Judau had the benefit of having senior officers and crewmen that knew what they were doing to help them learn the ropes, as well as being exposed to mobile suits for a long time. Amuro and his friends had no such luxury and fought desperately every day to avoid falling victim to Char and his forces.
>>
>>15279364
>Kamille
was a junior mobile suit champion with intimate knowledge of the MK II's design.
>>
>>15279364

To be fair Amuro was at the same level of many russian WW2 tank crew without any training (the requisite was to be able to drive ANY type of wheeled vehicle) that got in a T34 as soon as it was assembled at the factory. Then on the battlefield they proceeded to waste all their ammo while most of the early german guns were unable to pierce their armor. Some hilarious scenarios included T34 running over german anti tank guns because they missed the target untill they run out of ammo.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.