[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gundam Wing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

File: Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Wing.jpg (1009KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Wing.jpg
1009KB, 2000x1000px
Just finished this series last night. I'm surprised it gets so much love because it really wasn't that great. MCs are bishounen autists with little development, battles usually consist of 30 Leos getting destroyed by a single Gundam, villains are alright but some switch allegiances way too suddenly, and the mid-battle philosophical lectures about peace are incredibly forced. Why do people refer to this as one of the best Gundam series?
>>
It only gets love from Toonami watching Americans who hadn't seen Gundam before.
>>
I think it has cool background music, and Endless Waltz has some nice animation

that's about it
>>
>>15255006
Pretty much this.

Wing's popularity in the west is wholly nostalgia, it was many people's first exposure to Gundam and even first exposure to giant robots that weren't Voltron or Power Rangers.
>>
I myself like the suit designs....the epyon is really cool

I pass out any time I try to watch it though
>>
>>15255017
>>15255006
and there's nothing wrong with that. i don't know what UC fags are expecting since the AUs are mostly for new fans, not old ones.
>>
>>15255583

most UC/Zeta fags also forgets that Heero, Zecks, Une and Duo are popular in japan til these days

Heero's stereotype originated Sosuke in FMP

Duo became the new model for 02's/Lancer along with NGE Asuka and later Shinn

also for fucks sake, the TV series designs were great

Wing Zero, Tallgeese and Deathscythe being the cream of the crop
>>
>>15255696
Sousuke is a CHIRICO.
>>
>>15255710
>CHIRICO

Search your feelings Anon, you have been fooled.
>>
>>15254957

nostalgia goggles
>>
Mostly because its the first time burgers got into Gundam.
I liked it too but its nothing more than a 6/10(wich is not bad)
It fells very slow and if i remember at 30-40 ep it was a bit boring sometimes.
>>
>>15255583
Being for newfags isn't an excuse for extremely awkwardly done MCs that pander to girls with bad boy fantasies. You see, Domon was cool, Heero is not.
>>
Wing is actually good you retards
>>
File: Gundam_Heavyarms_Kai_CustomW0.jpg (32KB, 307x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam_Heavyarms_Kai_CustomW0.jpg
32KB, 307x400px
This was the best thing to come out of Wing's existance, prove me wrong.
>>
File: Heavy Arms EW.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy Arms EW.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>>15257634
You're wrong.
>>
>>15257634

The color scheme is an improvement, but the TV version design is much better overall.
>>
>>15257634
Mah nigga
>>
File: 1348836872019.gif (799KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1348836872019.gif
799KB, 320x240px
>>15255546
>the epyon is really cool
>>
>>15257634
I always thought it looked too frail to wield 4 gatlings ("how come your mother let you wield that much gatlings!?"). Basic Heavyarms was good enough, but HA kai custom's color scheme is admittedly better...
>>
>>15254957
People goes blind and unable to think properly when it comes to Gundam.
>>
>>15255583
>and there's nothing wrong with that
It makes Wing bad.
>>
>>15255006
Even as a kid, I thought it was meh. A couple of years after I got to see the UC series and it was much more interesting
>>
>>15256480
This is why Duo Exists

>>15257848

>Not loving the fucking Predaking gundam?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gCRt9XGJDs
>>
Also Heero and Trowa both survive getting blown up. And people regularly shit on Kira for that.
>>
>>15258779

Jesus yamato's bullshit was enough to redeem wing
>>
>>15258797
11 episodes into SEED. I'm enjoyingboth Kira and Athrun a lot more than Wing's edgy Gundam boy band.
>>
Zeta is shit
>>
>>15260829
You've still got a while to go before the REAL bullshit starts.
>>
>>15258779
Theres logical explanation on how kira survived 3 times tho...
>>
>>15254957
I have yet to finish Wing because how bullshit it is makes it hard for me to watch, but I haven't stopped watching it because I want to finish it off.

>>15258097
> GOD OF DEATH!!!!
>runner-up for second least edgy faggot still acts like a faggot
Nah.
>>
File: GUNDAM WING.jpg (3MB, 3279x4232px) Image search: [Google]
GUNDAM WING.jpg
3MB, 3279x4232px
Wing was weird at times, but mech designs and military uniforms were fucking choice.
>>
>>15254957

I think Wing excel's in the larger parts of it's narrative, the shifting political landscape and the actual meta-plot is well done. It is cool to see the Gundam pilots completely crash and burn by episode 20, but in doing so so earnestly they end up inspiring a bunch of other people to take on their fight, and later those people all bring the Gundam pilots back into the fold for the finale. It is cool to see how the Gundam pilots and their actions really affected the world around them, even though their actions were pretty useless in a direct sense.

Treize was a cool character who had a unique shtick about the beauty of the battlefield which was a nice contrast with all the pacifism talk throughout the show. Relena is shown to be too naive, and it is shown that pacifism does require some hypocrisy to be achieved. Relena really isn't vindicated, it is made clear that there are major issues with her ideals.

The grunts are amazing, some of the battles are good, especially some of the duels. The soundtrack is amazing. And the middle part of the show is legitimately good.

As characters the Gundam pilots are mostly atrocious, and the show is full of goofy dialogue and actions that only a minor would find cool. Too much stock footage is used, and the Gundams are too op for the first arc ( though by the middle they fix this - until the ending arc that is).

All in all I would say there is more pro than con in Gundam Wing, but I don't think anyone would consider it one of the best Gundam series. It is really hard to match it up to something like Zeta, Turn A, or the Original. People overstate how bad it is though imo.
>>
>>15260906
Original was good, zeta is shit
>>
>>15260872
The same could be said for Heero and Trowa. Heero was in front of his Gundam when it exploded and his entire body was intact though he started bleeding for some reason. Trowa's case is even worse, being inside the cockpit as his suit exploded in space yet not only did he suffer no injuries, but his space suit made it too.
>>
>>15260970
umm I said logical
>>
>>15260906
>>15260906
>Relena is shown to be too naive, and it is shown that pacifism does require some hypocrisy to be achieved. Relena really isn't vindicated, it is made clear that there are major issues with her ideals.
This isn't exactly true, Relena just believed that people could actually talk to eachother and think rationally if they really wanted peace, which is completely true. Facts and logical thinking are supposed to evolve people to a higher understanding of eachother. What she doesn't understand is that people are stupid and would rather beat the shit out of eachother, because it feels better than to sit down with the enemy, acknowledge each side's shortcomings, and try to end things civilly.

Also, she was just about to attain peace with the earth and colonies right before her brother decided to be a shitlord and declare war on earth. And now that I think about it, so was the original Heero Yuy, and possibly the Alliance Pacifists.
>>
>>15261118
I read "illogical" for some reason
>>
File: how zeta should had ended.gif (1011KB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
how zeta should had ended.gif
1011KB, 500x225px
>>15260875
>The smell of zetafag

Get out!
>>
File: 1480224164181.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
1480224164181.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>15260840
Well so far Kira has made more progress as a character than any of the Gundam boys did in Wing's entirety, Endless Waltz included. That's pretty sad. When I read this guide I was given months ago before I started 0079, I can now tell the writer was a nostalgia driven Wing fanboy.

>Pacing often breaks down in favor of character development

My ass.
>>
trowa was the most effay pilot of all time
>>
>>15257634
Ugly peace of shit
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (116KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
116KB, 1280x960px
>>15258779
>>15260829
SEED and Destiny are held to a higher standard than Wing. AC is indisputably the worst timeline,
>>
File: img-ms-gundam-heavy-arms-kai.jpg (79KB, 754x648px) Image search: [Google]
img-ms-gundam-heavy-arms-kai.jpg
79KB, 754x648px
>>15257634
As ridiculous as mobile suits are, Heavyarms Kai actually makes a lot of sense.
The vast majority of mobile suits generally only carry one main weapon, possibly one close combat weapon, and a questionable amount of reloads.

Heavy Arms has;
>Two handheld twin-linked large gatling guns
>Four smaller gatling guns mounted in the torso (protected by armour plates)
>Two heavy vulcan guns mounted on the collar
>Two standard light vulcan guns mounted in the head
>Two missile launcher pods in each shoulder (protected by armour plates)
>Eight micro missile pods; two in the shoulder flaps/two in the skirt/two on each leg

That's a lot of fucking gun to bring to the table.
>>
>>15262116
>>15262070

the (you) from /a/ that defends Zeta and Seed are getting worse
>>
>>15262558

Each gundam in Wing was made for a certain combat area on earth during the 1st few episodes

>Wing = Multirole Air-land combat
>Deathscythe = Stealth/psychological/Cybernetic warfare
>Heavy Arms = Siege and Suppression
>Sandrock = Desert warfare and Tactical combat(Aka commander mech/The Tallarn Guy)
>Altron/Shenlong = Guerilla, Jungle and Amphibious warfare
>>
>>15262579
As if defending Wing is any better.
>>
>>15262612
Wing is really weird, it's this transformable fighter/mech for maximum mobility... yet it only has a three shot mega gun.

Shenlong as well, what the hell good is a flamethrower against other mechs? When it shows up on earth its first scene is also shooting down planes/choppers with its flamer... lol
>>
>>15262823

who knows? maybe AC humans discovered promethium, or the shenlong flames were heated plasma bursts
>>
File: 1309318352674.jpg (233KB, 1364x763px) Image search: [Google]
1309318352674.jpg
233KB, 1364x763px
I'll just leave this here.
>>
>>15262969
i miss the count of how many this type of explanation was done here on /m/ and even /a/

and somehow the autistic zeta and seed fags seems to forget it to justify

>HUR JESUS YAMATO WAS RIGHT, ZETA, 8thMS, SDTM AND CCA AREN'T BAD
>>
>>15262969
That's all well and good, Wing's plot is great - if you're reading it on 4chan and not watching the show. Otherwise it's PEACE PACIFISM PEACE PACIFISM PEACE PACIFISM IDEALS WAR PEACE WAR PACIFISM SANC KINGDOM IDEALS WAR PACIFISM SANC WAR KINGDOM PACIFISM PEACECRAFT IDEALS MISTER TREIZE MOBILE DOLLS DOGSHIT IDEALS WAR PACIFISM WAR IDEALS PEACE KILL ME for most of the show.
>>
>>15263002
>shitposting this hard
Sorry that your favorite show isn't even in the top five most successful Gundam series of all time, anon. It's not your fault nobody likes it, I promise.
>>
>>15262823
>Wing is really weird, it's this transformable fighter/mech for maximum mobility... yet it only has a three shot mega gun.
Shenlong I will agree with you completely. It made no sense outside of using the magical Gouf extendo-weapon only for a Gundam. It's balanced by Wufei being an insensate autist who nobody likes so you can largely ignore it.

For the Wing, I wish it had some backup weaponry, but I always assumed it was a heavy-hitting hit-and-run mobile suit. Hit something important with a Buster rifle shot, then fly home.

Of course, it always got drawn into close combat somehow, but that's also because Heero's a fuck.
>>
I liked the Sanc Kingdom arc the most
>>
>>15255583
You can make something for new fans and have it also not be shit.
>>
>>15263294
It's one of the best arcs.
>>
Gundam Wing never got love.

It gets constant hate even today, what are you talking about
>>
>>15262116
>SEED and Zeta are better then Wing guys
>Posts none canon picture of shitty novel.
Opinion disregarded three times over
>>
>>15263776
The only things Wing has going for it are mech designs and music.
Nothing more.
Yeah the Deathscythe Hell is edgy and all that but holy fuck is it awesome
>>
>>15263776
I think OP is talking about the Toonami fanboys after the whole series + EW originally aired. Which is retarded since that was over ten fucking years ago and most anime fans today don't even know that fucking show anymore.
>>
>>15262969
>>15263253
The convenience of the plot through the characters was done horribly and that's probably because the director was fired halfway through the show.

Honestly, every character in Wing could have been top tier fantastic but they fell short on every one of them.
>>
>>15263818
>*conveyance
Fucking auto correct!
>>
>>15263797
>Which is retarded since that was over ten fucking years ago
Who gives a fuck. 0079 was made way before and we can still talk about it. If I wanna shit on Wing and its fans, I'll do it.
>>
>>15264072

>last time when i say this level of inbred hating autism, it was back when RPG codex and No Mutants Allowed sent death threats to all bethesda employees including todd howard and lynda carter because of Fallout 3, and it almost became a police case

/m/ never surprises me
>>
>>15263783
Funny thing about those mech designs. Nearly all non-Gundam/Talgeese mechs had pretty fantastic body designs but their heads looked like giant fucking TV screens. Only head design I liked was from the Aries.
>>
>>15254957

I liked it as a kid but it really doesn't hold up

When I was young I thought the story was just over my head but it turns out its retarded
>>
>>15264085
He sounds like a /pol/ faggot disguising himself as an /m/ anon.
>>
>>15264072
>Bawww! I can be a retarded whiny faggot if I want to!
Sure, and we can call you out for it too you piece of shit.
>>
>>15264607
You can say that about anyone here. At least this is one post by one guy about his problems with Wing. Unlike that other cunt who makes 20 posts about why he hates Zeta.
>>
>>15264626
>about why he hates Zeta.
>Implying that shitposter even bothers with the effort in elaborating on his opinion of the show
>>
>>15264626
Okay, but he's bitching about a fanbase that barely exists anymore and acting as if they're still prevalent; on /m/ of all places. And even the people that like Wing on /m/ admit that it fails on a lot of levels and is a very 'hit and miss' kind of show. Op might as well be yelling at the fucking wind.
>>
>>15256480
Why was Domon 'cool', because he hit woman?
>>
>>15264713
He got his shit together after learning lessons the hard way. Heero is just an edgy asexual dick.
>>
>>15254957
It's basically the 90s Code Geass. Show is simply a lot of fun and gets better and better with multiple rewatchings. The babblings of Treize and Zechs actually has some deeper meaning than just "I fight for my friends!" and the commentary on the mobile dolls ties in well with the ethic of drone warfare now.
>>
>>15265204
Treize was a pretty damn good character.

Zechs, not so much. But he did improve.
>>
>>15265204
No it isn't because Wing's plot stagnates badly until the near the end. Also, all the MCs are unlikable except for Duo.
>>
>>15264626
>1 guy only hates zeta
that delusion
>>
File: Treize.jpg (271KB, 727x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Treize.jpg
271KB, 727x1032px
>>
>>15254957
Wing is ... messy to say the least. It's the one Gundam series I legitimately can't summarize because of how off the rails the plot is from episode 1.

It's got some ok fights though, the villains are memorable, and the plot while incoherent is largely out of the way enough that the setpieces stand by themselves. That's what really saves the show from being drek like most of AGE.
>>
>>15254957
>It's another "My refined taste thinks everything is shit. Look at how refined I am!" post.

Life is more fun if you try to enjoy things, you should atleast try it once, before you kill yourself.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.