[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The mecha genre is dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

File: Eva01.png (310KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Eva01.png
310KB, 1024x768px
Do you agree with him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_doBvjfqDXw
>>
>>15248403
But it isn't. We normally get 2-3 shows a season with mecha in it.
>>
File: tubbs.jpg (63KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
tubbs.jpg
63KB, 500x380px
>>15248403
>19min video

I don't care about mecha that much to listen to some randomer rant about it for nearly 20 minutes.
>>
I can already tell you that the real problem is with anime at large, and the author of this video probably fails to really see that.
>>
>>15248499
Eh he actually kinda does surprisingly.
>>
>>15248481
Yes we get absolute mediocrity at best. When was the last time there was actually something good rather than just an "Oh well it's a new show" or something that isn't just a sequel to a big franchise? All the Gundam since 00S1 has been lukewarm or disappointing in the end, everything lately is CG ranging from good to trash and Dynamic Pro hasn't made a goddamn thing besides their own take on mecha musume in years.
>>
>>15248403
This guy is retarded
>>
File: 133.jpg (115KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
133.jpg
115KB, 1920x1080px
>>15248531
Majestic Prince

The current problem with mecha is that we're in a spot where traditional animators who know how to draw mecha have nearly gone extinct and thew new animators are mostly learning through CGI

So all the normalfags go REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE when faced with CGI

I'm glad I watched Zoids as a kid.

Gurren Lagann, in it's place as one of the 3 biggest cancers to damage the mecha industry is partially to blame for this minset.
>>
>>15248403
>The mecha genre is dead
>posts link to some youtube doofus

No, I don't agree with him. I don't even need to look at his video to know I don't agree with him.
>>
buy a banner for your worthless video
>>
>>15248851
Majestic Prince is a shit show though. Aside from the hirai face and shit plot, the battle scenes are quite terrible.
>>
>>15248531
>Dynamic Pro hasn't made a goddamn thing besides their own take on mecha musume in years.
Dynamic Pro is not an anime studio. You're thinking of Dynamic Planning which isn't an anime studio either.

Also, Toei made Robot Girls Z. No one from Dynamic had any participation in it unlike other actual Dynamic productions like Shin Mazinger (Which again, was done in collaboration with actual anime studios)
>>
>>15248934
lol
>>
>>15248531
Also, Dynamic Pro (The small manga studio) has been pumping a lot of manga, some by Nagai himself.

They're actually productive. It just so happens that their mecha is in manga format, and not in anime format.
>>
>>15248531
Cute mouth, does it talk with dialogue?
>>
>>15248403
No. kys pls
>>
>>15248531
Majestic Prince like >>15248851 said
Fafner Exodus (sequel, but Fafner was never big before it)
Rinne no Lagrange
Buddy Complex
Argevollen

The problem is, most of these shows get shitposted outside of their dedicated threads and often in them too.

Nowadays /m/ is so dedicated to shitting everything up, of course you think all recent shows are bad. Too much negativity on this board.
>>
File: mainImg01.png (667KB, 960x421px) Image search: [Google]
mainImg01.png
667KB, 960x421px
Furthermore, Shiranui Pro (Division on Dynamic) was also in charge of Hobby Web's Seelen The Hunting World.

So yeah, Dynamic Pro is actually doing shit. The problem of mecha is exclusively an anime problem, and that's because the anime industry has enough problems on its own which reflects on all genres.

Pandering solely to the otaku is what killed it.
>>
>>15248403
Dead? Fuck no. We have too many mecha shows these days. If anything, mecha anime needs to die.

Jesus christ what the fuck is this guy on? Did he even look at the anime season lists for the past 3 years?
>>
>>15248481
Literally this.

He calls himself Professor Otaku but he doesn't have a clue.
>>
>>15248531
>Yes we get absolute mediocrity at best.
That's for the viewer to decide you dumbshit.

The point is that there's way too much mecha these days, and the genre is not fucking dying like this moron in the video is saying.
>>
Honestly, I feel like mecha's problem is that it's mostly been telling the same kind of story using the same tropes/techniques for like 40 years now, but everyone seems to hate shifting into more general SciFi drama territory like IBO, even though it's actually better storytelling than most mecha shows.
>>
>>15249092
>into more general SciFi drama territory like IBO
So all these previous shows weren't sci fi drama? What the fuck are you on?

>t's mostly been telling the same kind of story using the same tropes/techniques for like 40 years now
Welcome to human creativity. The stories that are being told are thousands of years old. There's just so many stories you can do about the plights of the human race.

We don't even have real aliens to examine and base our entertainment on. If mecha bores you, just move on to something else.
>>
>>15249113
>So all these previous shows weren't sci fi drama?
Some of them were, but most mecha shows are about as SciFi as Person of Interest or that APB show on Fox. The SciFi stuff is often just window dressing and barely relevant to the story.
>>
>>15249053
His point was that most of the supposed mecha shows are actually fanservice shows with mecha sprinkled in. Not that no shows that featured mecha were being aired. It is'nt that no one is making shows with mecha, it is that the mecha, plots, and characters all suck, and they are just going for what is cheap, safe, unimaginative, and profitable because of the state of the industry.
>>
>>15249171
So then why single out mecha? All those things are problems with the entirety of the anime industry.
>>
its not mecha, its the industry itself

take a look at most of the late 80's and 90s animes, and compare it with those from nowadays

as the time went on the trace and the drawing became worse and stupidly simplified

it became "its shit on release but buy our blue rays with polished drawing and effects"

the DLC of ANIME
>>
>>15248403
Same story every 4 years or so, then the next GL comes out and the real artists can chance a good /m/ show.

Youll see someday squirt
>>
File: sayaka.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sayaka.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>15249171
>that most of the supposed mecha shows are actually fanservice shows with mecha sprinkled in
Like always?

>it is that the mecha, plots, and characters all suck,
That's his opinion and therefore his problem.

>and they are just going for what is cheap, safe, unimaginative, and profitable because of the state of the industry.
Daimidaler barely sold in Japan, but according to him, this should have been a raging success right?
>>
>>15249227
>then the next GL comes out
Me too I'm waiting for the Gunleon anime adaptation.
>>
>>15248531
>00S1 was good meme
It's about IBO quality with slightly better pacing. What a joke.
>>
>>15249373
>IBO is bad meme
Memes on memes on memes on memes
>>
>>15249231

>Like always?

Explain how MSG was more about fanservice than mecha, plot and characters.

>That's his opinion and therefore his problem.

You can give that response to most sorts of criticism though. So everyone's criticism is just "their problem" ? I guess there is no point ever criticizing anything ever then.

>Daimidaler barely sold in Japan

It had a formula that seemed like it would sell, hence why they made it. That does'nt gaurentee that it won't flop.

>>15249204
Because he is sad because of how the problems in the anime industry is affecting the quality of his favorite genre.

>>15249218
To be fair. There have been advancements in the fluidity in animation, the art style is simpler, but the animation is more fluid. I actually think that there has been newer anime still looks quite good with these new styles, mecha actually seems to be having a particular issue in that not allot of talent seems to be going to the genre in comparison.

It's not as if shitty VN adaptations and cheaply produced moe shows are the only thing going on in anime right now.
>>
>>15249218
Early 90s animu was some of the cheapest looking shit ever.
>>
>>15248403
I think the most important thing this guy is forgetting is that anime is basically Japanese capeshit at heart, for every titular title like Akira, GitS, Zeta, etc.; you're going to have to wade through a ton of shit and filter your preferences against what is out there. The problem isn't that mecha is dying, or that its overdone, its just lacking an incentive to be better because Anime as a whole has a very low bar set for everything.
>>
>>15249231
which mazinger show is this from?
>>
>>15251704

Very true.

>>15252242
bait.jpg

>>15252339

The Mazinkaiser OVA.
>>
>>15248403
I don't even know who this is.
>>
>>15253489
Its the OP himself. Look at the amount of views.
>>
>>15248403
He's kind of right in a general sense, I guess? He's totally ignoring great shows that came out just this year like Kuromukuro, Bubuki Buranki, and Time Bokan 24, though.
>>
>>15248403
Oh god I was checking out this guy's channel earlier today. He does some okay research, which isn't saying much but it's still more than other people do. But his opinions are awful and horribly justified and his terrible aesthetic sense is perfectly shown in his shitty anime persona.

He also has zero self-awareness. He's a somewhat fat unattractive middle aged man AND EVEN SHOWS HIMSELF IN THE VIDEOS but then he portrays himself as some fucking cutesy bishonen.

His stupid "TEARING THAT HACK KOICHI OHATA DOWN" video series just shows what a boring useless cunt he is as far as his personal commentary goes and pretty much anything that isn't the result of extensive googling for historical facts
>>
>>15256563
Can I ask you mecha experts if what he says is accurate? I follow him for his history of mecha series, but I don't actually know if what he says is correct
>>
>>15249234
DON'T TAUNT ME
>>
As long as the steady stream of UC gloriousness continues, mecha is definitely alive and well.
>>
>>15260967
this
>>
>>15257193
I don't know nearly as much as a lot of posters here but a bullshit thing I noticed is that he ignores manga almost completely, which means he looked over Ambassador Magma and only paid attention to the anime versions of Astro Boy, Tetsujin 28, Getter & Mazinger beyond a very cursory glance at the Getter manga to say "it was darker than the 70s anime" (and yeah sure, it is, but the early Mazinger manga was darker/"edgier" too and he didn't mention it at all and acted as if it was exactly the same as the anime).

When he gets to Evangelion I hugely doubt he'll bring up the massive influence the Mazinger manga had on it either.
>>
>>15248403
There are shows coming out every season. How is it dead.
>>
>>15256563
>His stupid "TEARING THAT HACK KOICHI OHATA DOWN" video series

How can Ohata even be considered a hack? Almost everyone aside from a small niche hates his work and it's not like he constantly relies on the love they have for his older OVAs to get easy money from newer projects. Hell the guy hasn't even worked on anything in six years.
>>
>>15248403
>Wing brought women into mecha
"No."
>>
>>15264339

Godmars is probably just a large chocolate bar for him.
>>
>>15248531
Just because they make mecha you don't like doesn't mean the mecha genre is "dead".
>>
>>15248403
>>15248531
Fucking retards talking about things they don't know. They are the cancer of this world.
>>
>>15264549
He probably doesn't even know about Tetsujin.
>>
>>15263662
To be fair I dunno if he used the word "hack" but the idea of still making "UGH FUCK OHATA" videos in this day and age is at all worthwhile and doesn't make you look like a bandwagoning faggot is inherently annoying.
>>
>>15248531
>absolute mediocrity at best

Just like every year ever. I don't know if you've realized this yet, but every decade of /m/ has at most six shows that are actually good. This has been true since back in the seventies.

>>15256496

Those were all mediocre at best, no matter how much you delude yourself otherwise.
>>
File: Shinji_schoolgirl.jpg (40KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Shinji_schoolgirl.jpg
40KB, 300x300px
>>15248403
>>
Mecha isn't dead, /m/ is dead.
>>
>>15249092
>shifting into more general SciFi drama territory like IBO
Could you contradict yourself any harder?
>>
It is all about the kids and kids aren't into giant robots anymore.
>>
>>15276013

nigga please, if srw showed something, is that Asuka would be ready to join the hero team on any gundam universe in 1 snap, and forget that Evas exist, she and shinji's nerd friend.

Though he exists already in Gundam universe as Chuck Keith
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.