[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Federation Mobile Armor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 16

How come the Feddies never really did much in the way of mobile armors? Seems like the Dendrobium was the first and last time they tried it, and the unit was a nigh unstoppable beast. I get the plans for it were destroyed, but still, they never made any MAs after this. What gives?
>>
>>15238323
when you really think about it
its only defense against bit-type weapons is to literally run faster and turn until he faces the MS in question
there's an ifield yes but all bets are on the GP03D running out of booster juice before the smaller sized MS
>>
File: MRX-009_Psyco_Gundam.jpg (316KB, 1500x949px) Image search: [Google]
MRX-009_Psyco_Gundam.jpg
316KB, 1500x949px
Mobile armors seem to have a shit track record in general.
>>
>>15238365
Ultimately they're just plain less effective than their equivalent cost in mobile suits.
>>
>>15238323

Mobile Armors exist to be unique and special bosses so that the unique and special Gundam has a unique and special enemy to defeat, thus proving how unique and special the Gundam is.

The Federations is, by default, the protagonist faction. They don't need to have bosses to beat, so they don't build any.
>>
>>15238665
That's a much nicer explanation than "Gundam is a re-telling of WW2 and the Allies didn't built wonder weapons but large numbers of standardizedvehicles so that's what the feddies do".
>>
>>15238376

Basically. A mobile armor might be as good as 5 mobile suits on average, but they probably cost like 10 times a mobile suit to build and maintain and just don't work out. They often have a strong showing, but usually with particularly effective pilots and/or surprise on their side, over whelming enemies as much through shocking new weapons they have no real defense for as anything. If you made more of them (like the Big Zam) you'd have to scale back those systems for mass production and enemies would be readier for them on subsequent engagements because they're prepared for them. Just like the Federation was better prepared for mobile suit combat after initial engagements and held out for months despite not having any suits themselves.
>>
I don't know but Dendrobium was fucking amazing.

>impaling Cima's Gerbera Tertra on its long ass canon and then firing

Brutal.
>>
>>15238365
>Mobile armors seem to have a shit track record in general.

The pyscho gundam is not a MA.
>>
File: Hyzenthlay-rah.jpg (355KB, 1024x1012px) Image search: [Google]
Hyzenthlay-rah.jpg
355KB, 1024x1012px
The Titans put together some mobile armors, or do they not counts as part of the Federation?
>>
>>15239511
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B3%E3%82%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%A0
>>
>>15238323
Isn't the RE-GZ considered an MA when it has that backpack that turns it into a plane?
>>
>>15238665
Well said. Only further strengthened by looking at non UC series. I don't think any of the protagonist factions have MAs.
METEOR units are arguable, as with Dendrobium, they're more like add-on platforms, not an independent vehicle
>>
>>15238904
Except for the ultimate super weapon, a nuclear bomb.
>>
>>15238323
Nice design.
>>
File: Nrma-006.jpg (35KB, 400x176px) Image search: [Google]
Nrma-006.jpg
35KB, 400x176px
The New United Nations Earth, which is the Gundam X equivalent of the Federation, had mass-produced mobile armors which they used as fighters.
>>
File: Ecole du Ciel Titans.jpg (340KB, 1200x1714px) Image search: [Google]
Ecole du Ciel Titans.jpg
340KB, 1200x1714px
>>15239518
>AoZ

Into the trash it goes
>>
>>15239479
Seriously. The cluster missiles are just plain mean. And who knew the best way to deal with a for at close range was to pinch them to death?

Maybe if more mobile armors were just straightforward weapons platforms instead of gimmicky nonsense, they'd be more useful.
>>
>>15239479
>>15240921
>Zeon builds dozens of mobile armors
>all of them suck
>Federation builds one mobile armor
>it's death incarnate
On the subject of MAs being weapons platforms instead of gimmicks, the Zanscare Empire does that in Victory.
>>
>>15240134
>Ecole du Ciel
The reason she joins up with the space pirates made no sense to me at all.
>>
>>15239827
A bomb just explodes. Nothing special about it. The plane to carry it though was more of a special snowflake.
>>
>>15239518
I don't even know what I'm looking at here

you could've at least posted the Marasai MA
>>
>>15238955
Big Zam and Elmeth were way stronger than just 5 MS though.
>>
>>15241084
Why are so many MAs so gimmicky? I thought the point of a larger vehicle was to hold more weapons. But nah, most of them are glorified testbeds for new tech, or limited specialty units. The Apsolus is possibly the silliest, since the whole idea of it is such a ridiculous supervillain scheme that almost certainly wouldn't have worked anyway.
>>
File: Doggorla.png (594KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
Doggorla.png
594KB, 1279x720px
>>15242777
>>15241084
>Zanscare MA
>Not a gimmick
>>
>>15242777
Was the Rafflesia also a dumb MA? I honestly can't remember. The ending of F91 was plain bad so I forgot a lot of it
>>
>>15238323
>How come the Feddies never really did much in the way of mobile armors?

How come they didn't refit any of their Salamis-cruisers for Newtype controls? Seems like a much more natural step than building WUNDERWAFFEN.

>>15239827
Was another tuesday in the bombing campaign as far as the Japanese were concerned. Damage and civilian losses on the ground were in line with the usual results of firebombings they had been subjected to for months.

Radar and reliable quartz radios though...
>>
>>15242829
>How come they didn't refit any of their Salamis-cruisers for Newtype controls?
Because its a stupid idea?
>>
>>15242805
Yeah, it kinda was. It's main feature was its tentacles, and it also had some beam cannons that didn't seem too effective. I mean, it might've been good as a point security unit, but this was supposed to be the CV's big bad final boss level machine.

The Rafflesia seemed to be designed more for unsubtle symbolism than anything. Then again, it was made by the Crossbone "We have motherfucking BEAM FLAGS!!!" Vanguard.
>>
>>15242856
To be fair to the Rafflesia, it didn't get a chance to do anything before it was killed by plot. Literally plot, what killed it was the F91 overheating and then opening it's mouthguard which is NOT an attack. That's an exhaust/heatsink. The Raffle should've 100000% not be dead

However as a negative, it WAS designed by Crossbone "buzzsaws that vomit smaller buzzsaws with blasters" Vanguard
>>
File: ball.jpg (130KB, 1000x564px) Image search: [Google]
ball.jpg
130KB, 1000x564px
>>15242832
>guyse, we got all these ships and all these guns, but they can't hit shit because our fire control mechanisms ALL get fucked by minovsly particles.

>But these NEWTYPE guyse basically solve that issue

This isn't rocket science. Get a newtype gunnery officer into a chair and run the rest of the ship as always. Would also mean that you could dedicate more onboard space towards MS or Balls.

Also the Ball was the primary Feddie MA. Served well into the Victory era.
>>
>>15242873
>killed by exhaust
That's what happens when you try to condense a 20+ episode series into a 90 minute film.

Although, longer running time wouldn't change the fact the Crossbone Vanguard is a strong contender for the silliest villain faction in Gundam. Hell, they only got cool after being taken over by the all time prize winner of most ridiculously named Gundam protagonist, Seabook Arno.
>>
>>15242876
Ships are large, slow targets wasting resources on their target acquisition instead of converting them to carry MS is retarded. Anyway, the Feds don't openly acknowledge the existence of Newtypes.
>>
File: 1394431160272.jpg (28KB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
1394431160272.jpg
28KB, 186x186px
>>15238323
Because they look scary and evil. The only reason Dendrobium and Neu Ziel exist is because executives wanted a big dumb mobile armor fight for the end of the OVAs. That was only one of the ways they ruined that series.
>>
>>15241744

Not really. The Big Zam destroyed a dozen or so ships and a few suits, which was at least partially because everyone just used beams on it. Even when they were proving ineffective. A mobile suit can take down a couple by itself with the right circumstances too. All it took to defeat the Big Zam was a single mobile suit closing to melee distance. The armor or speed of the RX-78-2 wasn't even necessary. Any suit could probably do it. The Elmeth is the same. It's great in its element, but still vulnerable and overall not hugely more effective. And mass production would involve scaling it back regardless.
>>
File: 1379275571636.jpg (442KB, 1931x1761px) Image search: [Google]
1379275571636.jpg
442KB, 1931x1761px
>>15239779
Gundam Seed started with Mobile Armors as the default Earth Alliance space weapon. Mwu and Cagalli piloted mobile armors for more than 20 episodes.

00 Raizer is technically a moble armor; it's just that S2 was so gimped Saji did nothing with it. And the Human Reform League had land mobile armors to supplement their Tierens, though we only had one scene with them that wasn't a still, just before the battle in Taklamakan.

G Gundam technically showed Neo Japan with some mobile armors in their defense force but that was in flashback scenes.

You could argue that Unicorn's equipment for the Banshee battle was an evolution of the Dendrobium in a much smaller package, turning it into a pocket mobile armor.

Gundam Wing's Gundams were basically Gundam-shaped mobile armors. All of them were gimmicky superweapons.
>>
File: CMYtS.jpg (130KB, 689x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CMYtS.jpg
130KB, 689x1024px
>>15238323
what did the federation mean by stealing tony starks design?
>>
>>15241084
in all fairness, shamblo is a fucking monster...BUT they let an emotional, family problems, woman pilot it...thus leading her to attack a city alone and getting btfo.
>>
File: 1487797137250.jpg (76KB, 1408x792px) Image search: [Google]
1487797137250.jpg
76KB, 1408x792px
>>15242789
needs more bike tires desu senpai
>>
File: BAIT BOLG AND BAITABACH.png (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
BAIT BOLG AND BAITABACH.png
36KB, 800x600px
>>15242938
>>
>>15242876
>Also the Ball was the primary Feddie MA. Served well into the Victory era.
Do Balls actually count though? I could see how they would, but it seems kinda questionable.

Also, you'd think the Feds would've made a Big Ball at some point. But nope, that didn't happen until IBO.
>>
>>15243046
they had a ball that was a huge gundam face actually (to scare zeons)...also balls are op
>>
>>15243046

Balls are mobile pods and not actually mobile armors.
>>
>>15238323

What about the Titans' transformable MAs?
>>
I get the feeling MAs would do better as deterrent weapons. Purposefully make them overpowered to encourage the enemy to retreat. Though, the Big Zam rather failed to do that, so perhaps not.

>>15243147
It seems like it's meant to be a bit questionable whether the Titans "count" as Feddies, or if Tomino was just being ham-handed with the whole "the good guys have become corrupt" theme.

Further, those are transformable suits, which are still suits, they just change shape, and it's usually for speed.
>>
>>15242938
This is not even Tony Stark...
>>
So now that we've established that mobile armors kinda suck, what can be done to correct this in future titles?

What makes a good MA?
>>
>>15239511
>Bigger than a MS
>Transforms
>Unconventional design with a HUGE flaw (head cockpit is a stupid idea)
>>
>>15238323
MAs are evil
>>
>>15241123
>Zeon Cyber-Newtype Labs
>Federation Academy
>Zeon Space Pirates
>AEUG

what else factions can she join in this short time? Task Force Alpha then joins Char's Neo Zeon?
>>
They had a bit of a habit of getting blown up by a lone teenager, and what sort of psychological use does an MA have when everyone shits their pants just as hard when the Gundam shows up
>>
>>15246653
I don't know. I dropped it somewhere around there. It started to feel like there was no real direction for the story and the author was just doing whatever.
>>
>>15242876

The Ball wasn't a mobile armor, it was a mobile pod.

>>15245401

A suit being larger no more makes it a mobile armor than a suit being smaller makes it a mobile pod. Nor does a suit suddenly become a mobile armor when it can transform. It's still called a mobile suit in the manuals and such for a reason. I think they might even have referred to them a few times as suits in Zeta.

You might as well argue that the WaD is a worker pod because it's smaller than a mobile suit and has an unconventional design with a huge flaw (it's body is almost entirely cockpit). Not that putting a cockpit in the head is any more of a stupid idea than putting it center mass and sitting right on top of the reactor with no apparent escape mechanism in most cases.
>>
>>15242914
Don't forget the Gadelaza from the 00 movie, another federation mobile armour that did extremely well considering what it was up against.
>>
>>15241123
Well, she was technically captured, "enslaved", and also wanted by Titans, i think she doesn't have so many options on the situation.
>>
>>15238323
A good Gundam and Mobile Armor wasted on a shit pilot

>>15239479
I will never forgive Uraki for killing Cima
>>
>>15238323
Why would they need MA anyways...the Feds have a steady supplies of autistic kids ready to jump into a gundam.
>>
File: h54_m0001.jpg (74KB, 528x761px) Image search: [Google]
h54_m0001.jpg
74KB, 528x761px
>>15248390
>Nor does a suit suddenly become a mobile armor when it can transform. It's still called a mobile suit in the manuals and such for a reason. I think they might even have referred to them a few times as suits in Zeta.
Asshimar, Baund Doc, the two Psyco Gundams, Gaplant, and Messala are classified as mobile armors.
>>
File: Recarl.png (85KB, 536x357px) Image search: [Google]
Recarl.png
85KB, 536x357px
>>15242789
Not seeing a whole lot of bullshit gimmicks here. Galicson is debatable because despite being a giant fucking motorcycle, a fast MS-sized tank is a sensible concept. Birknau never got a chance to do anything, but it's a pretty simple design with no apparent gimmick.
>>
File: afterimages_with_mass.webm (2MB, 960x520px) Image search: [Google]
afterimages_with_mass.webm
2MB, 960x520px
>>15242873
>>15242888
The exhaust wasn't what killed the Rafflesia, it was the Rafflesia inadvertently shooting at itself because of afterimages with mass.
>>
>>15249388
>the two Psyco Gundams

Mobile fortresses.
>>
File: h49_m0001.jpg (104KB, 605x873px) Image search: [Google]
h49_m0001.jpg
104KB, 605x873px
>>15252736
No, it very clearly says "mobile armor". The official Zeta website also describes the Psyco Gundam as a mobile armor.

http://www.z-gundam.net/ms/earth.html
>地球連邦軍が開発したNT専用巨大可変MA。
ミノフスキー・クラフトを装備しており、MA形態時に長時間の飛行が可能である。
>The NT specialized huge variable MA developed by the Earth Federation Army.
Equipped with Minofusuki · Craft, it is possible to fly for a long time in the MA configuration.
>>
>>15252658
Looking at that, the point of the heat vent looks like it's to blind Iron Mask with the flash of light so he can't see that he's about to shoot himself.
>>
>>15254212
To be fair, Iron Mask is an idiot.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.