[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GiTS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 75

File: Motoko.jpg (65KB, 960x952px) Image search: [Google]
Motoko.jpg
65KB, 960x952px
Why is the GiTS Universe so fucking great? I'm going through GiTS S.A.C. 2nd Gig and the idea of using an essay as a vector for a virus is genius.
>>
All i have left to read is the manga. Is there anything else similar?
>>
>>15232146
Appleseed is pretty neat, the movies aren't too bad, especially ex machina.
>>
File: mooftoko.jpg (46KB, 960x880px) Image search: [Google]
mooftoko.jpg
46KB, 960x880px
>>15232108
It's really not great as a setting. Especially not compared to some of the more flavorful or imaginative cyberpunk universes.
I'm sorry but that's how it is. We wank over it because it has some really memorable and well-executed bits in the franchise, but as a setting it's nothing special.
Like, seriously, there's very little in GitS that hasn't already been done in a cooler and more thorough way in another cyberpunk works of fiction.

And that idea is just the "brown note" theme.

What really sets GitS aside from other cyberpunk universes is pretty much just the silly spider-tanks.

>>15232146
>Is there anything else similar
seeing as how it's one of the most basic cyberpunk settings, I'm gonna say "any fucking cyberpunk piece of fiction", but since it's also less adventurous, more mundane and down-to-earth (despite the fantastical elements that occasionally pop out), I'm gonna suggest Real Drive.

Appleseed is a much more interesting setting with lots of cooler stuff and larger-scale stories, so it doesn't really feel like GitS, but it's from the same author, so there's a lot of things in common.

Check it out.

And I guess if you want your share of cyborgs and hackeneyed philosophy and political triple-crossing and espionage and conspiracies, play the Metal Gear series.
>>
>>15232146
>the manga
which one?
There's like five.
-the original manga by Shirow
-Human Error Processor (also by Shirow)
-Man-Machine Interface (shit, also by Shirow)
-the SAC spin-off manga
-the Arise prequel manga (pretty much just war)
>>
>>15232355
The actual setting is barebones, yeah. But the Universe (the world described in the body of works) is pretty great. Motoko represents the extreme version of a machine. A floating consciousness that has no ties to a physical form and fully realizes that in Innocence where she is integrated into the cyber world and later possesses the doll. Then you have Togusa as a "mostly biological" character who gives you a perspective of the more human side of things.

The whole thing they're doing with the Hideo Kuze and giving the major a backstory is a bit lame but I just really enjoy the world they have made.

You're kind of writing it off as "vanilla cyberpunk" but I think it is a unique work. Granted, I have not watched or read much cyberpunk anime/manga. You only mentioned Appleseed in your whole post and while I haven't watched that either, do you have any more titles that do it better since you claim that
>Like, seriously, there's very little in GitS that hasn't already been done in a cooler and more thorough way in another cyberpunk works of fiction.
?

I've read some cyberpunk literature (PKD, Gibson, etc.) but those are a bit more dated and do not share the same qualities GiTS has.
>>
I found SAC to be dreadfully boring
>>
>>15232408
>the extreme version of a machine
>a floating consciousness
No, that's called a ghost.
In the present case the ghost happens to also be a computer program so it's a bit of both, but a machine is normally pretty much the antithesis of a ghost.

But anyway that's just a sci-fi cliché at this point. And 90% of scifi just consists in creating loose approximations of supernatural concepts in a physicalist context to make them more easily believable.

It's fine if you're gonna create a cool story based on these concepts, but GitS never really does anything cool with the concept of a sentient computer virus, either story-wise or from a speculative viewpoint.
There are vague attempts in the manga to imply that post-fusion Motoko is not just a virus but an actual psychic substance (a soul, an actual ghost) but they're wishy-washy at best.

Fortunately other authors may find stuff to say about it.

>You're kind of writing it off as "vanilla cyberpunk"
because that's what it is. It's vanilla cyberpunk. I don't see why you feel the need to see it as something special.
It's NOT special. Some parts of the franchise are outstanding because of their quality of execution, but it has nothing to do with the stories or the setting or the characters. That's what makes some parts of GitS "unique": they're well-executed.
>I've read some cyberpunk literature (PKD, Gibson, etc.) but those are a bit more dated and do not share the same qualities GiTS has.
I'm sure you've been exposed to shitloads of cyberpunk movies, video games, comics, anime, RPGs etc... that all had several things in common with GitS and explored some of its concepts in a more heads-on way.

Practically everything that's in GitS including the characters is now a complete cliché, either because it already was when the manga was made, or because some other authors copied it.

Appreciate it as such.
>>
>>15232418
me too, desu.

It's ok if you're into espionage stuff but it's got no pizzazz.
>>
>>15232408
Don't watch Appleseed
READ Appleseed
>>
>>15232408
Have you watched Serial Experiments Lain?
>>
>>15232470

It's not even all that great for espionage stuff. it's just still images of talking heads sitting around in a room because having everyone speak via the network is cost effective
>>
>>15232481
That's an issue the manga also has. But the manga is really pretty to look at and has a bit more humor, at least.
>>
>>15232466
I think you are of the opinion that GiTS is mediocre. I do not share the opinion. But I'm wary of your criticism because you seem to just wave your hands and allude to some group of works that "all had several things in common with GitS and explored some of its concepts in a more heads-on way." without mentioning any specific examples.
>>
>>15232526
GitS is UNEVEN.
some parts are great, some parts are mediocre, some are straight-up awful.

Even within each installment there's some good and some bad.
>"all had several things in common with GitS and explored some of its concepts in a more heads-on way." without mentioning any specific examples.
the near-entirety of cyberpunk

Let's take Serial Experiments Lain for example: it actually uses the vague supernatural elements of GitS as a premise to tell a story that explores the theme of sentient AI and personal identity in the digital age way more deeply than GitS does.
Or Texhnolyze: it shows the psychologically traumatic effects of cyberization in a more direct and visceral way than GitS.
The running theme of unpredictable organic components in a rigid artificial system are also illustrated more compellingly (on a mostly political level) in Appleseed.
And if you want settings that really go wild with transhumanist themes and the dangers and weirdness of it, there's Eclipse Phase.
And of course the taoist/buddhist themes that pop up in the GitS movies are lifted mostly from Akira, and explored more deeply in the Akira manga.
If you want a couple of movies that show a hacker protagonist doing crazy shit with his hacking powers there's Midnight Eye Gokuu.
etc.. etc...
>>
>>15232588
Thank you for all of those. I've only seen Akira from that list.

Do any of those series follow a "hard sci fi" direction? I'm looking for something that really goes deep into the science behind things. I'm fascinated by advanced AI and I'm curious if there is anyone who puts a lot of thought into their work when it comes to AI. In my brief experience, I know Shirow at least mentions papers he likes but a lot of it seems to be recycled as sort of "supernatural" elements as you put it.
>>
>>15232650
Appleseed is about as close to hard scfi as those get.
Lain also mentions a few scientific reasearch works, but uses them in the same way GitS does: to give a pseudoscientific basis to some of the weird shit that happens in it.
>>
>>15232482
>That's an issue the manga also has.

It's not an issue in the manga because you're reading still images either way. Anime however is animation and too much of it is just stills. Some things just don't work the same way in a different medium. They don't even fucking blink.
>>
>>15232678
Not even Togusa?

I mean for Motoko it's okay to never blink because she's a robo-ninja, it's even the thing everyone mentions about the movie.
>>
>>15232776

Have them walk around the room, have them make expressive gestures DO SOMETHING. Fuck even arise put them in a fancy shmancy VR room with a fire place.
>>
File: image.png (407KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
407KB, 1024x768px
Watching through SAC for the first time, second episode was good, but...

>"In a broad sense, theft and joyriding are still terrorism."

What did she mean by this?

Has she never read a dictionary?
>>
>>15233099
Problably what she ment was that it's still considered terrorism in the sense that stealing military equipment and then rolling around with it with complete disregard for everyone and everything would cause terror to anyone closeby. It's a pretty loose definition of terrorism which is why she prefaced it with "In a broad sense".
>>
File: Motoko ass.webm (414KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Motoko ass.webm
414KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>15232108

Manga-koto is best Major
>>
>>15234071
>Koto
Kys
>>
File: headpatoko.png (682KB, 640x885px) Image search: [Google]
headpatoko.png
682KB, 640x885px
>>15234071
>koto
fuck, man it's not hard to remember.
Look, there's even a mnemonic trick to remember it:
>mangatoko is bestoko
see?
we say "best", not "besk"
so it must be "moToko"
>>
>>15234071
Playstation Motoko is also cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UBycyZb6w
>>
>>15233099
>>15233434

I swear to god, Tachikomas have got to be the most undignified vehicle in sci fi
>>
>>15236766
Not a fan of her lipstick but she's the closest we got to a proper and faithful adaptation of mangatoko so she's the best animated Motoko.

>>15236771
fuchikoma > tachikoma
>>
>>15236774

I even like the Logis better. I don't know who designed the tachis but they look like they got a toilet tank on their back not to mention whenever you someone rides one they look like a hunched up moron
>>
>>15234102
That is entirely too much floof.
>>
File: madtoko.jpg (101KB, 217x281px) Image search: [Google]
madtoko.jpg
101KB, 217x281px
>>15237087
Wrong!

There's never enoof floof! Let alone too much!

You sound very suspicious, you know. You wouldn't be a movie producer working for Paramount Pictures, by any chance?
>>
>>15237275
Calm down shousa you're overheating!
>>
File: 1407900411375.jpg (431KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
1407900411375.jpg
431KB, 1536x864px
>>15236771
But Tachis are cute. CUTE!
>>
>>15232408
>no ties to a physical form

Only because there are hints of magic, spiritualism and idealism in GitS.

You know, ghosts, demons. Autonomous spiritual substances. Memes having a life of their own instead of just being a way to describe things people do.

Basically fantasy.

NOT hard sci-fi.
>>
File: seska fshh.png (52KB, 529x323px) Image search: [Google]
seska fshh.png
52KB, 529x323px
>>15238775
begone spooky spirits!

shoo shoo!
>>
>>15237966
Better purge coolant.
>>
>>15238973
Only a trained professional is habilitated to perform this maintenance procedure.

If it's done by someone without medical training it'll void the warranty and she'll have to be sold off because the manufacturer won't cover the next repair costs, and it technically counts as damaging government property too.
>>
>>15239037
I can't wait to buy up the Major when she becomes surplus. I imagine she'll also come with the body as well as I doubt the Japanese Government wants to keep ahold of such a troublesome agent.
>>
>>15239063
Everyone except Aramaki was happy to see her get court-martialed.

I mean they were still really mad about the consequences it'd have on Japan's foreign policies but hey, at least the crazy ninja scruffball wouldn't be running into their own agents ever again!
>>
>>15239077
Well they might see her at whichever sleazy establishment picks up her chassis where I'm sure she'll react with good grace and excellent customer skills.
>>
File: pumas.jpg (174KB, 360x300px) Image search: [Google]
pumas.jpg
174KB, 360x300px
>>15239087
>Hey Uni, you know that sleazehole we useta work at?
>which one?
>y'know, the one with the blue-haired psycho bitch who always rambled about how she was a hot-shot cop or something!
>oh yeaaah! That one! What about it?
>well turns out she really WAS a hot-shot cop! One of her Johns was a former colleague and when she recognized him she tore the whole place down!
>No way!
>Way! And now they sold her again to have the building repaired!
>Wow she must be pissed! I wonder who'd buy a nutjob like her. It's not like anyone's so short on manpower they gotta buy a used-up gynoid who's gotten in trouble with the cops!
>>
>>15239146
Could you imagine what a threesome between the Puma sisters and Motoko would be like?
>>
>>15239146
And thus the Tank Police got their latest recruit.

That or some collector just got the best doll ever.
>>
File: geuuah.png (321KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
geuuah.png
321KB, 640x480px
>>15239177
oh man!

oh no!

There'll be tons of property damage and everyone will blame it on the hard-working cops again!
>>
File: ferisu.jpg (111KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
ferisu.jpg
111KB, 500x345px
>>15239204
>the best doll ever
>not one of the M-66 sisters
>>
>>15239249
Well, perhaps the best doll to play with. Just make sure you've got a way to control her while still keeping her pouting and furious.
>>
>>15239242
>POLICE AUXILIARY ROBOTS WITH GANGSTER PASTS WREAK HAVOC IN PERVERTED MENAGE A TROIS WITH DISGRACED GOVERNMENT PUBLIC SECURITY EQUIPMENT; NEWPORT CITY CHIEF OF POLICE LEFT WITH EGG, OIL, COOLANT AND WORSE ON HIS FACE.
>>
>>15239289
>equipment
D E L E T
>>
>>15239299
Oh like you have the cash to pay your nurse girlfriend to peak about inside your braincase to confirm you're not just hardware. Now go and clean up the tables and try not to smash any glasses over the customer's heads!
>>
File: 812336-innocence_batou_600x400.jpg (47KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
812336-innocence_batou_600x400.jpg
47KB, 600x400px
>>15239310
I told you to DELET this!

The major is currently on a deep-cover operation, anything you post about it is a violation of state secrets!
>>
>>15239326
Stop pretending your girlfriend-you-never-asked-out is anything more than surplus. She's the equivalent of the ubiquitous German army flecktarn jacket, or a set of Solider 95 trousers.
>>
>>15239367
cyborg-equivalent

Anyway, if she's on a deep operation then someone's already violated some state secrets if you know what I mean.
>>
File: peace batou.jpg (77KB, 178x120px) Image search: [Google]
peace batou.jpg
77KB, 178x120px
>>15239367
She's a top-secret top-of-the line agent you shouldn't even know about!
>>
>>15239375
She's a budget gynoid for general commercial use with an annoying personality we can't strip out. Anyway, get some liquor in her and she starts blabbing all about her time in service to the state. Did you really hack into her having a threesome?
>>
>>15239375
Oh that's not what I heard
She's a modified 16^2 model. Cyborg clinics install many of these on fun-loving girls who like to make a buck doing what they love most.

If you know what I mean.

Motoko's just got a bit extra armor plating.
>>
>>15239395
Which is great for rougher dives and the more... rowdy clients. Most dolls you send into a place like that come out in pieces. She comes out and usually brings a few wallets with her. Now that's military surplus for you!
>>
File: vomitou.jpg (193KB, 391x368px) Image search: [Google]
vomitou.jpg
193KB, 391x368px
>>15239379
>>
>>15239412
Baby.

So, want to hire her out? Have to charge double to cover the damages though.
>>
>>15239395
Making money and making themselves feel good.
>>
What the fuck is going on in here.
>>
File: Motoko-Chan.png (175KB, 380x433px) Image search: [Google]
Motoko-Chan.png
175KB, 380x433px
>>15239433
Deep appreciation of Shirow's work.
>>
>>15239433
discussing often-overlooked aspects of Ghost in the Shell.
>>
File: Poor Motoko.png (229KB, 287x359px) Image search: [Google]
Poor Motoko.png
229KB, 287x359px
>>15239495
This.
>>
File: RCO008_w_1487775245.jpg (1019KB, 1961x1557px) Image search: [Google]
RCO008_w_1487775245.jpg
1019KB, 1961x1557px
perhaps it's because of GiTS, but the recent TMNT comic really puts more things into perspective as Metalhead is rebooted with Donnie's mind.
>>
File: chibi s9.jpg (941KB, 2801x1720px) Image search: [Google]
chibi s9.jpg
941KB, 2801x1720px
So are section 9 members actually able to turn into chibis or is it just stylization?
>>
>>15241835

No but Alita and the Battle Angel cyborgs sometimes ran around inside doll bodies
>>
>>15241883
I'm asking because the puma twins can actually do that
>>
>>15241899
I don't think so. The Puma Twins are also full on robots.
>>
>>15241899

I think you might be giving this more thought than was intended
>>
>>15242025
Or he just wants a pocked-sized Motoko.
>>
>>15242029
Damn it, now I want a pocket sized Motoko.
>>
File: Black Magic M-66 4koma Part 6.jpg (898KB, 800x2667px) Image search: [Google]
Black Magic M-66 4koma Part 6.jpg
898KB, 800x2667px
>>15242199
>>
>>15242199
>>15242029
>2017
>We still don't have hand-sized robot girls as meidos, personal assistants, etc.

Fuck flying cars, this is what's really missing.
>>
>>15242200
I keep seeing stuff from this artist about Shirow characters, but I don't know who the artist is.

Can I get a sauce?
>>
>>15242374
Dunno. Some guy just dropped them in /m/ one day.
>>
File: TRY ME.jpg (51KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
TRY ME.jpg
51KB, 500x502px
>>15233099
>>
File: 675274-batou2.jpg (14KB, 252x320px) Image search: [Google]
675274-batou2.jpg
14KB, 252x320px
>>15239498
STOP BULLYING THE MAJOR
>>
>>15232108
It's not
>>
I'm watching S.A.C for the first time and I got to the jarringly action heavy episode where they go to get the girl back from the human liberation front.

How did Batou and Saito walk around talking to people with their cybernetic eyes and not get caught immediately?
>>
>>15246708
eh
they look like fashion accessories?
as you may have noticed it's not a perfectly-written show.
>>
>>15246708
Batou cleverly disguised himself as the guy who played the boss of the vampire gang in The Lost Boys.
>>
>>15246708
>jarringly action heavy episode

Did you skip over the episode-long tank battle in #2 lol
>>
>>15247378
the one where they sit around for 20min looking for an opening to shoot it, and then finally bust it open at the last minute?
not really action-heavy
>>
>cute secretarybots are called "operators"
>they don't operate operationally in operational operations
>the actual operators operating operationally in operations are just "agents"

what is this?
>>
So is it true that cyborg food is basically baby food processed into different shapes?

How embarrassing.
>>
>>15249849
I think in GitS 2nd Gig they talk about how it's 80% gluten or something.

Also baby food tastes good, cyborg food allegedly does not.
>>
>>15249878
>baby food tastes good
How would you know?
>>
>>15249902
Because I was once a human baby, robot.

Works every funking time.
>>
>>15249926
there's no way you remember that far back
UNLESS YOU'RE A ROBOT
>>
>>15249972
Haha yeah, I think you're kinda cute too!

Hey, wanna get on cam with me? Just follow this link abil.ytz/ab43asa/?id=penis-m4n
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
>>15249849
>>15249878
>>15249902
>>15249972
Hey, if it's fine for Robocop then it's fine for me.
>>
>>
>>15250137
Kurutan, stop mistreating this valuable government property this instant!
>>
>>15250144
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=78686
>>
Finished the first movie in both Japanese and English. I seem to have noticed that Mimi Woods as Motoko sounded less boring compared to Atsuko Tanaka.
>>
>>15250280
not to the point where she sound positively interesting but it's still an improvement
>>
>>15233099
Dont recall the exact line but remember Section 9 have an insanely broad remit designed so they can get involved in any work the major and aramaki decide they need to be involved with.
>>
>>15250370
Yep.
In the manga they're officially a hostage rescue team. But they rescued more people before S9 was formed than after that. And ironically when Motoko decides to fake her death she takes a guy hostage.

They're pretty much just Aramaki's personal army. Which fits perfectly with the future-feudalism theme that runs through the story.
And that's at least something I congratulate the writers of SAC for noticing and explicitly focusing on.
>>
File: 1483210748321.jpg (92KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483210748321.jpg
92KB, 1920x1080px
Random question: Are GiTS threads usually on /m/? And if so, why?
>>
>>15254634
>Why is the show about cyborgs on the sci fi anime board
>>
>>15254662
So /m/ is really for all anime that have a sci-fi focus then?
>>
>>15254670
stop being retarded
>>
>>15254670
>>15254634

/m/ is for good anime, /a/ is for moe.

Although people here still like to talk about little girl anime like Macross and that tank/boat show.
>>
File: 1457033453058.jpg (532KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1457033453058.jpg
532KB, 1920x1080px
>>15254742
Not retarded, just not from around these parts.
>>15254747
If you think /a/ is just for moe, then I think you have a very narrow perception of the place. As for good, well that's subjective, but I've never found /a/'s taste to have steered me wrong.
>>
>>15254747
>/m/ is for good anime

Like gundam seed destiny and Valvrave the liberator
>>
>>15254754
It's a scif-fi manga/anime from Japan with robots and cyborgs and stuff in it. Why wouldn't it be /m/?
>>
ultra capitalism
>>
File: grmph.jpg (224KB, 312x423px) Image search: [Google]
grmph.jpg
224KB, 312x423px
>>15239204
There's no way she'd fit into a tank
She may not be as big as the twins but the only way she could be of some use to the squadron would be as a barrel cleaner: put that mop-top head of hers into Bonaparte's cannon and let her scrub it clean.

Then again that's something the twins could also do better than her.
>>
>>15254937
If Brenten can fit into the tank, the Major can fit inside. If you really needed her to downsize, just remove her legs and install her inside.
>>
File: angery operator.jpg (75KB, 200x205px) Image search: [Google]
angery operator.jpg
75KB, 200x205px
>>15254940
more like remove her GIANT BUTT!
>>
>>15254968
Her butt ain't that big. In fact, Leona's got a similar cute tush as well.
>>
File: major.jpg (862KB, 3000x1616px) Image search: [Google]
major.jpg
862KB, 3000x1616px
>>
>>15255024
One of these things is not like the others.
>>
>>15255018
Nobody's butt is big in Shirow's stuff, they are all 15years old boy's.
>>
File: dominion-tank-police.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dominion-tank-police.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>15255171
What kind of 15 year olds are you hanging around with?
>>
File: 1488108535046.png (3MB, 2475x1212px) Image search: [Google]
1488108535046.png
3MB, 2475x1212px
>>15255024
Fixed.
>>
>>15255186
from bestoko to worstoko
>>
>>15255190
Theory of devolution.
>>
>>15255186
>that fucking nose
>>
>>15255186
I kinda like how Mangatoko and Arisetoko are glaring at the newcomer.
>>
>>15255190
Scarjor apparently isn't called "Motoko", she's literally called "Major".

Apparently.
>>
File: vlcsnap_00056.jpg (184KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap_00056.jpg
184KB, 1280x720px
>>15255203
>>
>>15255209
She'll get the name assigned to her/choose it herself at the end of the film, I bet.
>>
>>15255234
fuck

> truly I have become Masamune Shirow's Motoko "Major" Kusanagi

I wouldn't even be fucking surprised

Well either way I'm not gonna bother checking if that's the case.
>>
File: awkwartoko.jpg (90KB, 241x231px) Image search: [Google]
awkwartoko.jpg
90KB, 241x231px
>>15255234
>>
File: NHK_05.jpg (409KB, 1133x1600px) Image search: [Google]
NHK_05.jpg
409KB, 1133x1600px
>>15239177
They would probably molest Leona.
>>
>>15255299
you mean Motoko, right? Otherwise it'd be a foursome
>>
>>15255245
>"I'm no longer a ghost in the shell."
>>
>>15255302
>"I guess I was just Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell all along..."
>>
Actually, jokes aside, if Motoko did get booted out and didn't have to head overseas/needed some quick employment, the Tank Police wouldn't be a bad place for her. She'd constantly buttheads with Brenten though, criticising his tactics and if there's any problems with spooks or some info they need, I imagine she'd still have some contacts (Aramaki might even appreciate having a friendly contact with some firepower in a fairly independent part of the Japanese Police.
>>
>>15255301
Threesome+one party not giving consent.
>>
>>15255312
>Implying gynoids can give consent.
>>
File: puppetposter.png (179KB, 454x340px) Image search: [Google]
puppetposter.png
179KB, 454x340px
>>15255311
>any problems with spooks
Motoko and 2501 are the best at busting spooks!
Human rights are a spook!
Free will is a spook!
Identity is a spook!
Consumerism is a spook!
Individuality is a spook!
Pacifism is a spook!
>>
>>15255314
Pumas will probably claim their malfunctioned.
>My memory crystal is uh... really hazy about those things
>>
>>15255326
Motoko is a spook
a Spook in the Shell
>>
File: 0.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>15255326
Stop whining about philosophy and get back to work! Christ, you're making me sound like the Chief! Just find the bad guys and blow the shit out of them! How is that hard to understand?
>>
File: puppetmemester.png (132KB, 258x302px) Image search: [Google]
puppetmemester.png
132KB, 258x302px
>>15255336
Hand over the memes first!
>>
>>15255344
And someone just shut this damn computer up before I smash it!

Things used to be so simple. Find the criminals and inflict police brutality on them. Now I'm up to my neck in weird robots and I don't get to blow anything up.
>>
File: al.jpg (104KB, 532x584px) Image search: [Google]
al.jpg
104KB, 532x584px
>>15255358
Calm down chief, computers are nothing special, you just need to find the best possible use for them, like with any new recruit!
>>
File: dom5.jpg (14KB, 290x225px) Image search: [Google]
dom5.jpg
14KB, 290x225px
>>15255384
Shut up Al, or I'll tell Leona you've been sniffing her seat when she's not looking. No, I've got no time to mess around with computers or robots or any other crap and there's nothing they can do to convince me otherwise.
>>
>>15255326
when did it become Max Stirner memes
>>
>>15255807
Any meme is good enough for 2501.
>>
I just noticed a few things when re-reading the russia chapter of the manga: the puma twins are selling figmas of themselves and Shirow's original drawings
>>
>>15256455
I'd buy Puma Twin figmas.

I'd also more happily buy actual working mini copies of the Puma Twins.
>>
>>15233434
SAC has the best instances of "tasteful fanservice" I can think of
>>
>>15256995
Her leotard is terrible though.
>>
>>15257189
it's... Not the best leotard I've seen.

And it's very rarely shown in an alluring way.
>>
File: beautoko.jpg (14KB, 52x64px) Image search: [Google]
beautoko.jpg
14KB, 52x64px
>>15255326
Motoko's also the prettiest!
>>
File: Eve.webm (3MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Eve.webm
3MB, 960x720px
>>15257265
It just wasn't something somebody with self-esteem would wear outside. It looked too much as if there were supposed to be pants too but she forgot to take them on.
>>
>>15257330
she sometimes wear it with pants but it looks even trashier somehow
>>
File: kurukuru.jpg (96KB, 222x217px) Image search: [Google]
kurukuru.jpg
96KB, 222x217px
>>15239395
>>
>>15257330
It's a crude approximation of the one worn by Motoko Aramaki in MMI.
And that was designed after Shirow went bonkers.
>>
>>15254876
/m/'s rules only say mecha; I didn't know that was also taken to mean other sci-fi anime.
>>
>>15257418
It's taken to mean fucking anything, we regularly have shills making threads about clickbait articles that are tangentially related to engineering or space exploration and nobody bats an eye.
>>
>>15257342
In SAC 2nd Gig. I was so glad they toned it down in the S2.
>>
>>15257418
Lot's of stuff you wouldn't expect has an /m/ pass.
>>
>>15257665
Where do I get these passes? Can I buy them?
>>
>>15257668
You need to have cute girls.
Nah, seriously speaking, Nanoha has actual mecha elements aside from the inspiration.
>>
>>15255024
>far left major
UNF
>>
File: motoko .jpg (133KB, 425x1073px) Image search: [Google]
motoko .jpg
133KB, 425x1073px
>>15257965
correct
>>
>>15232108
; - ; just now
>weeks backlocal publisher anouces GITS 1 to be published in Czech
>ask if the manga will be uncenzored
>say yes as they get the originals from - like Gunsmith Cats, Crying Freeman were whitout cenzoring like probably all mangas published over here
>mnfg just read the fucking kodasha requested not to make the uncenzored verzion, fucking cunts
>you will never have the uncenzored GITS mangas ; - ;
>>
File: mehtoko.jpg (25KB, 104x160px) Image search: [Google]
mehtoko.jpg
25KB, 104x160px
>>15258083
Eh, it's okay, the two censored pages are just Kurutan and another girl discussing the specs of Motoko's body as they fistfuck her anyway.

With outstanding coloring, mind you. Oily but healthy-looking, not like when he tries to do the same with digital tools.

eh
>>
File: afuckingtanuki.jpg (62KB, 252x685px) Image search: [Google]
afuckingtanuki.jpg
62KB, 252x685px
>>15258208
yeah, i know, but still pises me off(like the dark horses volume 2 i have, with no lewd tachikomas remote controledy bodys and no jungle fuck scene)
>>
>>15258279
>a fucking tanuki
a fucking ghost tanuki sent by a team of psychics trying to prevent Motoko's clone from fucking up karma because she won't stop fusing with sentient AIs. And this is taking place only FOUR YEARS after the end of the first manga.

Today I decided to re-read MMI to see if maybe after seven years of maturing, I'd be able to somehow "get" it and be captivated by the story somehow. You know, to give it a second chance.

I lasted exactly 12 pages.

A fucking tanooki.
>>
>>15258342
but more important, how the hobo got inside?
>>
>>15258279
>jungle fuck scene
That was porn as fuck. I think even the japanese/original version has some censoring there.

Also, I started reading manga via the old czech (likely from english) scanlation. I still remembered some of the lines not a long time ago. Also,
>Veřejná Bezpečnost

How's the translation?
>>
>>15257418
Mecha is a HUGE blanket.
It's just shorthand for the Japanese word for "mechanical", there's so much that is "/m/", there's just a big emphasis on giant rebutts.
Cyborgs are /m/ as fuck. Hell, jets and cars are "/m/". They're just lower on the hierarchy.
>>
>>15232474
You’re damn right about that.
>>
>>15232108
>using an essay as a vector for a virus

Fucking Word macros, man.
>>
File: gits2mmi009ED.jpg (355KB, 839x1250px) Image search: [Google]
gits2mmi009ED.jpg
355KB, 839x1250px
>>15258678
i have the japanese scan it has the scenes with just "normal" mosaic censoring, they even cenzored this scene replaced the tachikomas remote bodeys with they avatars
>>
Just finished episodes 20,21, and 22 of Stand Alone Complex, holy shit this series is so good.

The scene where Motoko uses an anti-tank rifle against the landmate was so well directed, the animation and music were perfect, and the context leading up to that scene made it so satisfying.

In the scene where Motoko kicks the woman trying to kill her when she's getting a shell replacement, why does Motoko return to her damaged body, then have her hand back in the last scene?
>>
>>15258279
the tanookee is the major's spirit animal: it's fluffy, cute, wild and really ballsy
>>
File: gits-mecha-2[1].jpg (103KB, 1024x554px) Image search: [Google]
gits-mecha-2[1].jpg
103KB, 1024x554px
>>15257418
>GITS isn't mecha or /m/
>>
>>15261224
>>
File: one39[1].jpg (77KB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
one39[1].jpg
77KB, 1200x674px
>>15261230
>>
File: fuchikoma_hi_res_by_wen_jr[1].jpg (420KB, 1070x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fuchikoma_hi_res_by_wen_jr[1].jpg
420KB, 1070x1600px
>>15261241
>>
File: 149.jpg (275KB, 1247x2021px) Image search: [Google]
149.jpg
275KB, 1247x2021px
>>15261249
; - ;
>you will never drive in a fuchikoma
>>
Hollywood just had to get their paws on it didn't they?

>WARNING INCOMING NORMALFAGS
>>
>>15261230
I prefer the smaller ones with treads, but I can't find a pic of one with all my might.
>>
File: Bonaparte.gif (59KB, 434x492px) Image search: [Google]
Bonaparte.gif
59KB, 434x492px
>>15262274
Oh you mean THOSE?
>>
>>15232108
Clearly you never opened your free sample of Snow Crash.
>>
>>15262434
That was a pattern of static, not an essay.

You mean he's never opened his copy of the King in Yellow.

Which was a play.

Feck it, I'm just going to make a Marx reference and be done with it.
>>
>>15258342
MMI is fucking garbage.

I don't mind that Shirow descided to hardcore embrace spirituality and "karma" but he did a way better job with it in Orion, MMI is no shit the worst thing he's ever made. At least you can jerk it to his porn, MMI is just bad CG with poorly drawn Motoko on top.
>>
I'm holding off on reading all the Manga for now, but I'm curious what else is good in terms of the anime side.

I've seen the OG Oshii movie, Innocence, and SAC season 1 and 2.

I think i have a few more OVAs and Arise? Maybe another movie hidden in there? Is any of it good?
>>
File: a-1176.png (92KB, 1479x1091px) Image search: [Google]
a-1176.png
92KB, 1479x1091px
>>15262730
viz anidb
for me the animated best are Movie 1 and 2 and SAC series. The GITS 2.0 - GITS movie 1 its just GITS with ton of CG to be the same like the second movie Arise OVA + TV an Movieis a bit meh but still watchable + there is ton of shorts - omakes like the ones with tachikomas
>>
>>15262762
>viz
Heh.
>>
>>15262274
>>
File: tachikoma.png (404KB, 700x435px) Image search: [Google]
tachikoma.png
404KB, 700x435px
>>
>>15262762
So I'm missing:

>OVA of both SAC seasons
>GitS Arise series
>GitS Arise OVA
>GitS Arise movie?? (there are 5 of them?)
>Arise Web Series
>2008 Alternate GitS movie

I can't figure out what that other stuff linked to GitS SAC 2nd Gig is. Two more TV series?

Also I didn't realize all the Arise stuff was so recent. Do they plan on doing more GitS stuff? Maybe a SAC season 3? It seems like Arise was a big redesign and that always makes me worry a bit.
>>
File: CHIKOMAmod.jpg (263KB, 1682x1050px) Image search: [Google]
CHIKOMAmod.jpg
263KB, 1682x1050px
>>15262819
the 4 arise "movies" are like OVAs, they use them in the TV series just cut them in half
the SAC OVAs are just cut down series(recap shit), except for the SAC SSS movie which
is placed afther the 2Gig series. the rest is omake.
No idea what they planing to do, the GITS LA comes in March.
Kodasha puslishes a hard cover of all 3 mangas - cenzored verzion
Over here local publisher wants to publish the 1 manga - no idea what version - Kodasha being dick
thats all i know so far... and yeah i play the beta GITS first asaut game its funn so far even has tachikomas as suport
>>
>>15255326
>>
>>15232355
Your way of writing is really lazy. There's this sort of ADHD type of drifting back and forth between topics without elaborating on details, the point you're trying to make is lost as though all you're doing is obfuscating your contrarianism while you write just to hear your own thoughts.

Real Drive is pretty great and it's also not really any different than GitS and Asimov mashing their bits together which is weird considering you make a similar criticism of GitS.

The best cyberpunk mangas are BLAME! and BAL/Gunnm, and they're so god damn electric and complex that they'll pretty much be anime never ever.

I'd say watch Bubblegum Crisis and it's various reiterations, it's actually kind of fun and not as nauseatingly splatterpunk as the old BAL animations.

Not that I don't love me some splatterpunk though, MD Geist is a best.
>>
>>15232479
I think Lain is actually more occult than sci-fi isn't it?
>>
File: ghost7.jpg (391KB, 516x692px) Image search: [Google]
ghost7.jpg
391KB, 516x692px
>>15255186
first and second from the left are the best
>>
>>15263300
I'd say more Coast to Coast with Art Bell than traditional occult.
>>
>>15263156
uh oh

what's that American bimbot trying to do again?
>>
>>15263300
it's on the same level of "occult" as MMI: Ghosts, gods and psychic powers are all made of radio waves.

The difference is that Shirow vaguely justifies it with a loose interpretation of taoism, whereas SEL justifies it with a loose interpretation of the research work of a hippie scientist who tried to teach dolphins how to speak.
>>
>>15263503
Oh you know.
>>
>>15263609
?
>>
>>15255024
I wish they had gone with Shirow's proposal for Arise's Motoko
>>
File: mpohstDvV.jpg (221KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
mpohstDvV.jpg
221KB, 1280x956px
>>15265216
>>
>>15265218
>>
File: cgw184-animecg_sub01.jpg (266KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
cgw184-animecg_sub01.jpg
266KB, 1000x563px
>>
File: 0000961749.jpg (140KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
0000961749.jpg
140KB, 500x363px
>>
File: Fncsirh.jpg (71KB, 800x340px) Image search: [Google]
Fncsirh.jpg
71KB, 800x340px
>>15265219
>>
>>15265216
fucking hell I also do

it's not as good as the original Motoko but it's a hell of a lot better than the freak they went with.

Why do they keep ignoring his concepts?
>>
>>15265228
there's no fucking way the genuine Shirow designed those but they look pretty good.
>>
>>15265216
we Eva now
>>
>>15263666
Purest form of yuri.
>>
>>15265216
Plain, I'd say. The only sticking thing is the clothes color and blue hair. I don't think they did bad in the end.

Ironic that the other cyborgs in the picture are Shirow's. I recall people would bash the anime saying that these villains look like from Naruto. Kek.
>>
>>15265804
>I don't think they did bad in the end.
>>
>>15266006
I've never watched Arise but I'll just believe she looks better in motion
the wee-bit of the Arise manga I've read was okay
>>
>>15266008
yeah the Arise manga looks okay. It doesn't make her look attractive but since it's a gritty war story with outstandingly detailed and realistic art, her ayylmao design looks less freaky amidst all the violence and mangled people.
>>
File: 1486051863434.png (324KB, 1044x931px) Image search: [Google]
1486051863434.png
324KB, 1044x931px
>>15265795
indeed
>>
>>15262819
There are (now) 5 ARISE OVAs. They cover the formation of the /team/.
If you want to watch them, I highly recommend the Alternative Architecture order. The first four OVAs got rebroadcasted (think Unicorn/Break Blade) and then got a new OVAs worth of content across two new episodes (Pyrophoric Cult Pt. 1 & 2), which was later released as the 5th OVA (Pyrophoric Cult). AAA also switched up the watch order of the content, and personally I think it does a whole lot to help with the "mystery" that Arise was following. There's a pretty big focus on memory modification/amnesia and putting the 4th OVAs content at the beginning in media res helps with the tone, plus its official so it's approved.
I'd use the actual OVAs for your run through, the transitions just work better.
After you watch the OVAs there is a proper movie to watch as the capstone.
Here's the order:
OVA 4-Ghost Stands Alone
OVA 1-Ghost Pain
OVA 2-Ghost Whispers
OVA 3-Ghost Tears
OVA 5-Phyrophoric Cult
The New Movie
All of these can be found in OVA form on nyaa.
Other than the Major and Saito's designs, I found Arise to be really enjoyable. /m/aayatoko is probably my favorite animated depiction of the Major too--in all but character design. The cast is very well acted too.
I hope they do more.
There's some strong visual nods to prior iterations which has led some people to erroneously assume Arise is a prequel or some such to SAC or the films, but there are some completely irreconcilable differences in the show that renders this theory moot. It's its own continuity.
>>
>>15266006
You always have shit-looking frames in anime.
>>
>>15266093
Thanks for this. I"ll start downloading them now. Although I guess I should watch Solid State Society first to finish off the SAC content?
>>
>>15263281
>The best cyberpunk mangas are BLAME! and BAL/Gunnm anime never ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwy806RC2-Q
>>
>>15232588
I know this conversation is pretty old, but I would like to bring up the fact that GitS covers all those bases. it does not excel at any of them, but it is a pretty broad, ambitious work. It also predates many of those works, and probably laid the groundwork for them. I would put down money that SE Lain was deeply influenced by GitS. Good list! I have not seen Texhnolyze, and now think I should.

I think the other thing that GitS did well was make all that stuff compelling by putting in good, interesting characters. Manga Kusanagi was a bombastic, kinetic character who grew more withdrawn and distant as the events of the manga impacted her. the Major of Stand Alone Complex was already distant and Buddha-like, so the Tachikomas were introduced to add flavor.

Most cyberpunk is about the struggles of an Everyman against the unfeeling machine of corporate owned, conspiracy driven society. Ghost in the Shell puts that Everyman in the shoes of an insanely powerful government commando. something else none of those works you listed do. it gives the audience a different perspective, even if the result is still "Yup, still the inexorable grinding of the corporate machine."

also, Goku TME is a fucking cartoon.
>>
GitS isn't a total bummer of a Cyberpunk dystopia.
>>
>>15265218
I like those, but I'm not so sure about the Gantz suits.
>>
>>15262815
That's a Logikoma, you fucking heathen.
>>
>>15232108
GitS is cool. What more is there to be said?

I hate people over analyze entertainment. Reminds me too much of university with people standing in front of paintings being pretentious and elitist cunts jerking each other off intellectually. Fuck it I was standing there too.

Just enjoy the show and lament how anime is dead. Then go to bakaBT and download some more.
>>
>>15267172
Yep, that'd be the thing to do.
>>
File: character-bg-19.png.jpg (30KB, 680x640px) Image search: [Google]
character-bg-19.png.jpg
30KB, 680x640px
>>15268029
:^)
>>15265235
mng every time i see this character - Emma Tsuda, she resembles a girl i know
>>
>>15268863
that's because she looks bland and basic as fuck.
>>
>>15268282
That's not the mindset that allows good pieces of media and art to be created. There IS complexity and meaning to be drawn from art, so why ignore it?
Even as just a consumer, analysis can let you draw even more satisfaction out of your favorites and help you understand the medium and your own tastes well enough to be able to immediately recognize something you might like from something you won't, which is just a practical skill to have when it's humanly impossible to consume everything that's out there.
>>
>>15269059
>so why ignore it
because it sours your enjoyment of it when the meaning you derive from it happens to be a nasty meaning.
because it turns you into a pretentious douche
because it distracts you from the spectacle itself
because you'll be pissed when you find out that not everybody agrees with you on that meaning
because engaging in mental gymnastics usually more tiresome than it is fun

>That's not the mindset that allows good pieces of media and art to be created.
and neither is
>There IS complexity and meaning to be drawn from art

The mindset that allows good pieces of media and art to be created is "let's do something cool and let's work very hard at it".

As Oshii said, animation is all about craftsmanship.
>>
File: 1488379935485.jpg (74KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
1488379935485.jpg
74KB, 700x350px
>>
>>15269632
>because it sours your enjoyment of it when the meaning you derive from it happens to be a nasty meaning.
The key part of this being "when it happens to". You can't win every time, this aplies to everything, from sports to education to trying new restaurants. No reason to give up on the whole thing because it CAN be bad sometimes.
>because it turns you into a pretentious douche
Some people are going to be pretentious about anything they put any amount of effort and time into. This has nothing to do with art interpretation itself.
>because it distracts you from the spectacle itself
Maybe for some, but it's foolish to think it applies to everyone. I can't say analysis has ever made me enjoy something less. And it definitely has enhanced my enjoyment and appreciation for stuff I like and even let me find enjoyment in works that are largely shit just because there was entertainment to be drawn from it's dissection.
>because you'll be pissed when you find out that not everybody agrees with you
Again, this is just a universal thing. Some people are going to be pissed about other not sharing their favorite sports team or pizza topping.
>because engaging in mental gymnastics usually more tiresome than it is fun
Again, maybe for you. If I do something it's because I'm having getting some fulfillment out of it that is worth the effort.

Not that your points are invalid, I just think it's dumb to think they apply to everyone in regard to everything. I'm content with enjoying stuff like acting, music and cuisine in the most superficial level without thinking about it, simply because those specific things are not interesting to me. Some people will only think deeply about the one medium they like, some will do it with everything, other will do it with nothing, and that's understandable. Different people enjoy different things. Might as well be arguing about taste in colors.
>>
>>15269632
>The mindset that allows good pieces of media and art to be created is "let's do something cool and let's work very hard at it".
Hard work can only go so far without efficient and informed work. Craftsmanship requires knowledge and experience. You don't learn to direct like Oshii or draw like Shirow without analyzing previous works. Understanding how and why other pieces work is critical in developing a good creator's skills and unique style.

Whether it's focus-testing to ensure something sells well by appealing to a broad audience, finding interesting unexplored ideas in other works that you can explore them in your own stories, looking at a hot anime babe to figure out why it appeals to your specific tastes so much so you can replicate it in your own perverted drawings, analysis is an incredibly useful tool for creators.
>>
>>15269646
replacable cables?
>>15268934
like your mom :^)
>>
>>15269748
Hey
You asked why someone should ignore the meaning that might be found in entertainment
I answered you.

No need to nitpick the answers you asked for. They don't have to be 100% universally applicable.
>>
I just want one of those neck brace things to hack shit.
>>
>>15272278
Don't hack Motoko.
Thread posts: 236
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.