[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Buenos Aires really an inside job like the people in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 37

File: 975281289204.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
975281289204.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
Was Buenos Aires really an inside job like the people in the Deep FedNet claim it is? Or are they just civilian perma-virgin trolls?

What about the book and anime?
>>
I'M
>>
>>15224520
FROM
>>
>>15224536
ROBOTECHX.COM
>>
>>15224544
AND I'M LAUGHING.
>>
>>15224590
>C. Macek
>>
>>15224700
b-but you are died
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (82KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
82KB, 640x360px
>>15224514
Even if it was, I know Federation is doing what's right. Those damn bugs had it coming.
>>
File: Ugliest marauders.jpg (149KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
Ugliest marauders.jpg
149KB, 1280x688px
>>15224955
>>15224955
The funny thing was that the bugs were never a united force before, they were just different colonies with different queens. Once the humans pick a fight with one of the hive to get the planet resources, the colonies set aside their differences and band together to kick humans out of the bug home system. Then the bugs managed to reverse engineered FTL tech via organic means and thus extended their genocide campaign...

Humans woke up the sleeping bear/bug.
>>
File: Duck & Ape.jpg (116KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
Duck & Ape.jpg
116KB, 500x343px
>>15228271
Why couldn't the third film just use the two mechs from the TV series.

Atleast the Marauder Mk-II from the Invasion film look a lot better.
>>
File: Marauder_MK-II.jpg (262KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Marauder_MK-II.jpg
262KB, 1920x1080px
>>15228317
>>
File: Punished Rico Work Loader MK-II.jpg (141KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Punished Rico Work Loader MK-II.jpg
141KB, 1280x720px
>>15228322
Plus Venom Rico did a hell of a good Ripley impersonation
>>
File: Invasion Power Armor.jpg (232KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Invasion Power Armor.jpg
232KB, 1920x1080px
>>15228317
The power armors in Invasion weren't that bad, they were beefed up versions of the TV series. A little bit heavy on the Halo/Spartan side, but that's kind of a general "space marine" trope. Wish the design kept the visor screens from the TV series.
>>
File: CHASx.jpg (130KB, 358x504px) Image search: [Google]
CHASx.jpg
130KB, 358x504px
>>15228317
the cgi show really did have some nice mecha elements to it.
>>
File: 90s.png (99KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
90s.png
99KB, 375x360px
In the book (and presumably applies to the OVA), the Federation was already engaged in conflicts with the Bugs. It only became an official war after the very public attack in Buenos Aires.

In the movie, it was an meteor that destroyed the city instead of a direct Bug attack. The meteor was the same one that took out the communications gear from on the Roger Young preventing it from warning Earth. To me, Buenos Aires being an "inside job" is just another bullshit fan theory.
>>
File: DropsuitFull.jpg (293KB, 769x847px) Image search: [Google]
DropsuitFull.jpg
293KB, 769x847px
>>15228503
>>
THE ASTEROID WAS A FALSE-FLAG

THE ASTEROID WAS A FALSE-FLAG
>>
File: Starship_Troopers_Miniatures.png (1MB, 993x843px) Image search: [Google]
Starship_Troopers_Miniatures.png
1MB, 993x843px
>>15228503
The miniature game adding even more marauder-types to the lore.
>>
The Federation's implied to have been fighting the bugs for a long time since most all the adults seem to be heavily-disfiguring from service, and their citizenship system requires military service implying a need for troops constantly.

That said, nothing about the war really makes sense from a defensive perspective. The Federation started the war, the "Mormons" are in a military outpost in that footage. The asteroid could definitely be the bugs, but it's also likely the government didn't use their defense grid to shoot it down to increase recruitment and their ideological platform. The Federation has spaceships and the bugs do not, the Federation have nukes that could easily be dropped from orbit. The fleet could have simply flown to Klendathu and blown it to dust ages ago. But they don't. Instead, they send in waves of ground troops and get massive casualties taking down just one planet, because it suits their purpose better.

The Federation's culture is geared around fighting and victory and violence, so they need to have an enemy to fight in order to prevent any internal challenge. The bugs are perfect because they're mostly planet-bound, just raid a few planets then let them recover and repeat, instant fascist shooting gallery. The problem is the bugs started to get smarter, so you got meteors and brain bug ambushes and anti-air barrages.

It's pretty obvious something is up with the war itself, though I doubt they pushed the meteor themselves. That said, the meteor thing makes no sense from a space perspective since Klendathu is so far away anyway...
>>
File: sst ova monsters.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sst ova monsters.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>>15228505
In the OVA it was actually the aliens hitching a ride on a shuttle and rampaging across the city. They're also not really bugs at all in the OVA and are never referred to as such. Instead they're bipedal tentacle monsters with cat eyes and two beaks that shoot laser goo. I guess they kinda merged them together with the skinnies.

Also it's said that they're an "unidentified enemy" near the end of the first ep, but there's also a battle with them as the intro to the first episode that may or may not be a flashforward.
>>
>>15228537
So the Federation is what Donald Trump wishes to create, with the only difference is everyone knows he's the great leader who makes it work.
>>
>>15228537
The Federation fights other enemies that aren't the Arachnids like the Skinnies. Initiating a war with the Arachnids serves nothing but pile more bullshit on top of an already full plate. Also Federal service isn't necessarily military service and military service isn't necessarily a combat role.
>>
>>15228537
anyone who thinks starship troopers is pro fascist hasn't read the fucking book
>>
File: klendathu.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
klendathu.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
How can bugs strategically strike a planet across the galaxy man? They're just animals man, game over!
>>
>>15224514
No.

This meme comes from people needing the plot explained to them and then still not understanding it. The Federation are the "bad guys" in that, if you pay attention to the news broadcasts at the beginning of the movie you can tell that they were moving into bug territory before the bugs attacked them. The Federation were the aggressors, the bugs responded to them, and then the Federation news coverage made it sound like they dinndu nuffin and the bugs just attacked them out of nowhere.

Somehow, in the minds of people who can't pay attention, that got transmuted into, "the Federation faked the attack to start the war." The war was already going, the Federation just lied about the fact that they started it.
>>
>>15228537
>and their citizenship system requires military service

No you can do civil service too.

>>15229602

Literally the first scene is some humans in power armor executing 'Nam-style some aliens that had nothing to do with the conflict and nuking cities. Remember, Heinlein wrote the book because he was pissed about our post-Korean War foreign policy.
>>
>>15229810
>Replies seriously to an OP who is obviously joking
>States the obvious
>Cites the movie

>in the minds of people who can't pay attention
No one would come to that conclusion unless they were paying too much attention.
>>
The implication of the movie is that the bugs are inevitably going to win the war, right? Because that's what I got from it, considering the recruits are becoming younger and younger showing the federation is losing people old enough to be veterans. And that the final scene is just like the rest, mere propaganda.
>>
>>15229602
The book has its own problems. The book did preach a military and civil-service based democracy (a completely nonsensical contradiction in terms, given that every military and civil service throughout history has operated through a hierarchical structure and not through popular vote) that utilized corporal punishment for crimes, and capital punishment (not just for murder but other major violent crimes) even with insane persons; the given rationale for the society was that "it works," using only the fictitious evidence of the book itself, while scorning all 20th century conventions as "primitive myths" which were naturally proven wrong by "advanced scientific proofs" of Heinlein's future-world, such as the supposed need to corporeally punish dogs in order to housebreak them (which, you will note, most dog experts agree is a terrible idea, these days).
>>
>>15229602
The book has one of the worst cases of divisive interpretation. While knowing some of the author's background and his later talks on the impression he intended: it quite nearly can be a sci-fi jaunt for facism. I get Heinlein doesn't see it that way and I'm no believer in absolutes one way or another here; but this is not a a strange interpretation.
>>
>>15229890
>aliens that had nothing to do with the conflict

The Skinnies are allied to the bugs. Book bugs aren't mindless monsters like movie bugs, they're intelligent beings and they have their own technology and politics.
>>
>>15229911
Heinlein also had made the point of strict enforcement of juvenile crime. A bit interesting since Vietnam has been underway for years, but the counter culture movement was just about to hit.
>>
>>15229965

A counter-culture he helped create by writing Stranger in a Strange Land.
>>
>>15229956

Even Rico points out that some of the shit they're doing is sadistic for the sake of it. Like the cartoon time bomb that exists in the way it does just to fuck with its victims by letting them know how long until they die.
>>
File: cooldog.jpg (47KB, 628x442px) Image search: [Google]
cooldog.jpg
47KB, 628x442px
>>15229911
>dog experts

C'mon now, anon...
>>
>>15230066
Whether you contest that or not, the fact is beating your dog for behavioral training is not a good thing to do. They're dogs, they can be trained with simple Pavlovian methods.
>>
>>15229620
> But don’t make the mistake of thinking that they acted purely from instinct, like termites or ants; their actions were as intelligent as ours (stupid races don’t build spaceships!) and were much better co-ordinated.
>>
>>15230111

Well I mean, the bugs built h-bombs in the book
>>
While the book is great in its own ways, I love that the film is Imperial Guard: The Movie. Or Astra Militarum or whatever the fuck name GW wants to trademark this week.
>>
>>15230116
Admittedly, I haven't read it in a while, but I don't remember that at all. When does it show up? That size six crater on P?

>>15229906
The book pretty much stated that the bugs were going to win by attrition unless the Federation captured brain bugs or queens and figured out a way to negotiate directly. I think the movie mostly held on to that concept.
>>
>>15230144
The ending and the class socratic discussion at the beginning are the truest parts to the book.
>>
I'm gonna be honest, before that Re:View mentioned it, I never noticed that EVERY adult in the film that had seen combat and was not a citizen was disfigured in some way. I only noticed Michael Ironside and the guy at the desk.
>>
>>15230178
was a citizen*
>>
BRAIN BUGS? Frankly I find the idea of a bug that thinks OFFENSIVE.
>>
File: MFW college over war.jpg (94KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MFW college over war.jpg
94KB, 1440x1080px
>>15230178
Well its also implied that Rico's parents were wealthy with the type of cars parked infront of their house and the house in general. Plus his dad could afford to send him to Harvard or had connections
>>
File: Johnny_Rico_Boss.jpg (246KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny_Rico_Boss.jpg
246KB, 1920x1080px
>>15228325
Punished Rico was GOAT in Invasion. Too bad he still couldn't get dat Ibanez ass tho
>>
>>15230457

Yeah, his family was wealthy. They weren't citizens though.
>>
>>15230482
SICON Intelligence played them like a fiddle!
>>
>>15230518
Yeah, I was agreeing with anon's point and adding in some 2 cents/example on "civilians"
>>
>>15230178
*That we know of
>>
>>15230482
>Too bad he still couldn't get dat Ibanez ass tho
I thought it was hilarious that he was still trying after like 20 years.
>>
>>15230457
>>15230518
Book Rico lost his mother in the Buenos Ares blast and his father is serving in the military. Though both versions of the father generally try to dissuade Rico from joining.
>>
>>15230578
That is true, but most "older" adults in the film did have some. Like how Zim implies that he had been back-lashed before, definitely has some fucked up back scars from that.
>>
>>15230599
Rico's dad joined the mobile infantry after the buenos ares attack in the novel tho. and then served in Rico's Roughnecks as either a corporeal or sergeant
>>
>>15230585
>Rico didn't want to save the world in Invasion, he just wanted that famous "Ibanez Ass".
My Nigga, Rico had his priorities right
>>
File: Neodogs.jpg (37KB, 600x209px) Image search: [Google]
Neodogs.jpg
37KB, 600x209px
>>15228520
Speaking about Starship Trooper expanded lore, Neodogs were some crazy ish.
>>
File: Neodog MkI & MkII.png (153KB, 510x248px) Image search: [Google]
Neodog MkI & MkII.png
153KB, 510x248px
>>15230670
>>
>>15230116
I don't think the bugs had such a weapon in the book.
>>
>>15230111
>>15230116
Yeah i don't understand were all these other posters believe the bugs were mindless in the novel like the movie.

http://starshiptroopers.wikia.com/wiki/Pseudo-Arachnid
>The Bugs have spacecraft, beam and missile weapons and advanced technology, far from the mindless, savage insects of the movies; in fact, this difference is stressed: "...stupid races don't build spaceships".
>>
>>15224514
Oh yeah I watched this a few months ago, it was great XD.
>>
File: Blaze of Glory.jpg (60KB, 376x567px) Image search: [Google]
Blaze of Glory.jpg
60KB, 376x567px
For such a quasi-cult franchise (normies mostly only know about the 1st film) it has a few different universes/lore:
>Novel
>Films
>TV Series
>OVA
>Tabletop Game/Miniatures

So anons, which version of Starship Troopers do you prefer?
Personally, I really enjoyed the TV series tie-in comics from Markosia. Tanner's Tigers 4 Lyfe!!!! And shoutouts to Sinclair's Survivors
>>
>>15230092
>Whether you contest that or not, the fact is beating your dog for behavioral training is not a good thing to do. They're dogs, they can be trained with simple Pavlovian methods.
And my brother-in-law wonder why my sister's Cockerpoo bit him...
>>
>>15230735
The movie bugs were far from mindless and savage either. The Klendathu fiasco, hell the flattening of Buenos Aires is proof.

It's hard to say the Federation really even learned their lesson with them.
>>
File: shred of humanity.png (328KB, 513x279px) Image search: [Google]
shred of humanity.png
328KB, 513x279px
>>15230735
>movie bugs
>mindless
To say they were mindless means the person writing that page wasn't paying attention. They were very much actually intelligent, they acted mindless to lure the humans into a false sense of security in the initial Klandathu invasion, a move that caused humanity something like 300k deaths.

They're not even savage, like Re'View and others have pointed out in that scene with the eye. There's some humanity (bugmanity) in there, or at least a sense of genuine fear with that "don't do it" look.
>>
>>15231648
They even managed to brainwash the Air Marshall. That's some deep covert ops shit right there.
>>
So like, the bugs were the good guys in the movie, right? I'm not wrong in that conclusion, right?
>>
>>15231659
There were no good guys in Verhoeven's movie.
>>
>>15231662

What did the bugs ACTUALLY do wrong though? I mean it's even implied that we attacked them before Buenos Aires happened.
>>
File: IMG_0844.jpg (101KB, 800x376px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0844.jpg
101KB, 800x376px
>>15228520
When I was like 10 looking at the models of the Starship Troopers tabletop game was one of my favorite things to do. Really like looking through the different types of bugs. Shame it got discontinued.
>>
>>15231669
They existed, that's what they did wrong.
>>
>>15231669
Well I mean they killed those Mormons
>>
>>15231669
>I mean it's even implied that we attacked them before Buenos Aires happened.

The movie isn't clear on which side attacked first, but they did show that the Bugs attacked a colony outpost sometime before BA.
>>
>>15230012
Remember when he wrote about civilians in strange families who were the exiled prisoners from Earth rebelling against authority and dropping rocks on Earth for not recognizing their independence?
>>
>>15230994
Original TV/Tabletop Game (it's technically the same; they also managed to blend in some of the book and the film into the game as well).
>>
>>15229893
>Cites the movie

Yes, the movie OP is fucking referencing you idiot.
>>
>>15228271
So Starship Troopers uses like that old trope where the nations settle their differences to fight a bigger bad guy from beyond the stars, except said bad guy is us instead of the space aliens?
That's kinda great.
>>
File: Klendathu-system.jpg (712KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Klendathu-system.jpg
712KB, 1920x1080px
>>15229810
While that's true, that doesn't take away the possibility of Buenos Aires being an inside job in order to get popular support for escalating the war.

(Gonna go with the move version here since I never saw the animated version and the book was too long ago for me to remember the details.)

While the bug artillery is accurate and powerful enough to hit targets in orbit of Klendathu, it's literally impossible for them to shoot an asteroid in such a way that it would come anywhere near Earth, let alone hit a major population center. The distance involved alone would mean the rock would take at least a million years to arrive, and that the slightest error in trajectory, even a fraction of a fraction of a millimeter, would mean it would have clean missed the entire solar system.

Not to mention that the female pilot whatshername actually hit the asteroid with her space ship before it hit Earth. If it was actually headed for earth, this would've sent it off course. It makes more sense to assume the asteroid didn't come from Klendathu at all, it was just chilling off the fringe of our own solar system until whatshername nudged it towards Earth.
>>
File: helldiversjpg-3b0241_1280w[1].jpg (137KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
helldiversjpg-3b0241_1280w[1].jpg
137KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: rzjxun1ow0bfoaybray0[1].png (285KB, 800x763px) Image search: [Google]
rzjxun1ow0bfoaybray0[1].png
285KB, 800x763px
>>15233631
>>
>>15233541
To be fair, they straight up have a caste species dedicated to intelligence gathering and processing in the brain bug. Fed with enough people who've gone on shore leave at BA, in conjunction with the implied possession of FTL ability necessary for them to colonize beyond their home world, they've got all the data and "technology" needed to crunch numbers for and to perform an interstellar space rocking.

The asteroid was also coming in at breakneck speeds with deliberate trajectory, the Rodger Young had one of its towers clipped off while the damn thing kept on going its merry way.

Whole thing's an exercise in hubris, but then again even if high command respected the bugs enough to treat them as a legit threat, who's to say they wouldn't turn a blind eye to an invitation to declare total war so as to maintain the Federation's unity as a fascist entity? After all, what Verhoeven's aiming to criticize is fascism itself, and much of the Federation and its people's suffering comes from the Federation employing logic that benefits a fascist structure (mainly in the whole WE NEED AN ENEMY SO THAT WE CAN STAND UNITED AGAINST THE ENEMY EVEN AS IT MEANS SENDING YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN TO DIE HURP DURP logic and the hubris surrounding it).
>>
File: stta.png (826KB, 947x1536px) Image search: [Google]
stta.png
826KB, 947x1536px
no one mentions the suits from the Terran Ascendency
>>
>>15230364

INSECTS WITH INTELLIGENCE? Have you ever met one? I can't believe I am hearing this nonsense!
>>
>>15224514
In book the bug meteorite nuked Buenos Aires and Jonnys mom got killed, his dad later joined the power armored mobile infantry and served in his sons squad during the end of the bug war.

In anime the bugs somehow infiltrate a shuttle that lands on Buenos aires, Johnnys mom is waiting for a friend of hers at space port and gets plasmad down by the bugs when they pop out of the shuttle and start spraying plasma beams at everything around them.
>>
>>15224514

>tfw some civilianfag was being civilian near me
>>
So are humans and bugs the only races in this setting? I've only see the first movie so don't know much about this franchise.
>>
>>15234285
The book features another race called the Skinnies, who also appeared in the Roughnecks cartoon.
>>
>>15234285
There are others. The book even started with a show-of-force strike on one of them.

Or something. Been a while since I read it.
>>
>>15234306
>>15234308
Interesting. Have been wanting to read the book for a while now but I just don't have the patience to sit down and do that any more. Shit sucks.

Got another question. Now in the film we get shots like these
>>15229620
>>15233541
Showing us that they're able to go all the way across the galaxy, which is pretty fucking far. What's the scope of things in the book? Is it galaxy wide, just a single arm of the galaxy, or even smaller?
>>
>>15228271
If those mechs were less shiny I would swear I was looking at a 40K picture.
>>
File: 1421705859352-1.jpg (56KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1421705859352-1.jpg
56KB, 400x400px
Pretty much nothing about the asteroid makes any sense.

From looking at the speed at which it hits the Rodger Young, if the Rodger Young is meant to be traveling through space, why does it strike the asteroid collide so slowly?
It looks as though both the spaceship and the asteroid are traveling in the same direction.
How did no one on the Rodger Young manage to detect a huge asteroid approaching until they were close enough its gravity to effect things?
Then again maybe it makes sense that in a setting where hordes of infantry are dropped off without any armored support or any weapons that aren't assault rifles or atomic rocket launchers, that their spacecraft would lack radar.

>>15234034
In the Book there was no asteroid, the attack on Buenos Aires is described as a raid.
>>
>>15224514
Was Tekkaman Blade's Radam inspired by the Bugs from the Starship Trooper anime?
>>
>>15234377
>Is it galaxy wide, just a single arm of the galaxy, or even smaller?

Thy only visit a few planets. Only 2 scene in which Rico fights and only 1 in which he is fighting Bugs.

The book is mostly about Rico going through military training so it's not like some grand adventure tale.
>>
>>15234476
>How did no one on the Rodger Young manage to detect a huge asteroid approaching until they were close enough its gravity to effect things?

Blame the instruments on that one.
>>
>>15228271
They have a similar species, like how the Zerg do with Overlords and Leviathans, that is dedicated to transporting Queens and other Bugs to other planets for colonization. There's also another larger variant of that and I think an even bigger sub-species known for hiding as asteroids.
>>
>>15231653

and in cartoon it was explained that they had mind controlling bugs who could infiltrate bases and control superior officers
>>
>>15231685
>middle model

Wait a second...
>>
>>15231685

Why is there a Hierophant among those Arachnids?
>>
>>15234377
>Showing us that they're able to go all the way across the galaxy, which is pretty fucking far. What's the scope of things in the book? Is it galaxy wide, just a single arm of the galaxy, or even smaller?
The Tours, Rico's ship while he's undergoing officer training, is capable of going ~400c, so still relatively close by. The example given is Sol to Capella, 46 light years, in six weeks. It's implied that smaller ships are somewhat faster, but not by a huge margin.

Pretty local, I'd say.
>>
>>15234770
Don't forget the second movie's new bugs too, freaky things that take over corpses. Though then again I can't blame you if you completely forgot about that.
>>
>>15230144
I assumed they were planning to just learn how their telepathic communication worked using human psychics and eventually use that to intercept and maybe interfere with bug communication.
Emphasis on "Planned" though. I never saw the sequels but the fact that they go in the direction of just making bigger weapons to fight the bugs with tells me the whole mind warfare thing didn't really work out so well.
>>
How did movie bugs deal with FTL travel again?
>>
File: 1476478355145.png (711KB, 696x731px) Image search: [Google]
1476478355145.png
711KB, 696x731px
>>15235313
By ignoring it.

Ties into the "humans express hubris about the bugs' intelligence" theme, or potentially the false flag implication.
>>
>>15230144
>The book pretty much stated that the bugs were going to win by attrition unless the Federation captured brain bugs or queens and figured out a way to negotiate directly. I think the movie mostly held on to that concept.
I don't recall the book ever implying the bugs were going to win. Especially since the book ends with a new Federation attack on Klendathu and iirc mentions that the war is going well for the federation.

As for "figuring out a way to negotiate" directly, the book doesn't ever indicate that as being something the Federation needs to do. iirc It's stated at least once that there had previously been negotiations between the Federation and the Bugs prior to the war breaking out. Plus the Bugs have relations with the skinnies so it's not like there's any real obstacle to prevent them communicating with humanoids.

The reason that the Federation wanted to capture a queen (The book never mentions brain bugs) was to use one as a bargaining chip.
>>
Tell me /m/

Do YOU have what it TAKES to be a CITIZEN?

-YES
-NO
-Would like to know more
>>
File: Klendathu 2.0.jpg (103KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Klendathu 2.0.jpg
103KB, 1024x683px
>>
>>15235460

I mean I've worked in the civil service so by the world's definition I'm already a citizen.
>>
>>15235440
>I don't recall the book ever implying the bugs were going to win.

>Almost anybody else knew more about how the war was going than we did, even though we were in it.
>This was the period, of course, after the Bugs had located our home planet, through the Skinnies, and had raided it, destroying Buenos Aires and turning "contact troubles" into all-out war, butbefore we had built up our forces and before the Skinnies had changed sides and become our co-belligerents and de facto allies. Partly effective interdiction for Terra had been set up from Luna (we didn’t know it), but speaking broadly, the Terran Federation was losing the war.

As for the brain bugs,

>We needed to learn more about Bug psychology. Must we wipe out every Bug in the Galaxy? Or was it possible to trounce them and impose a peace? We did not know; we understood them as little as we understand termites. To learn their psychology we had to communicate with them, learn their motivations, find out why they fought and under what conditions they would stop; for these, the Psychological Warfare Corps needed prisoners.
[...]
>But to discover why Bugs fight we needed to study members of their brain caste. Also, we hoped to exchange prisoners.
>So far, we had never taken a brain Bug alive.
[...]
>But in a hive polyarchy, some castes are valuable or so our Psych Warfare people hoped. If we could capture brain Bugs, alive and undamaged, we might be able to trade on good terms.

Yeah, strictly speaking it doesn't say "negotiate", but that seems to be quite clearly implied. Why they couldn't talk through the Skinnies is unclear.
>>
>>15235313
The Arachnids had spaceships.

And considering that they've colonized other planets, it's a safe assumption that they have FTL capabilities.
>>
>>15235460
I served the military for over 2 years, so I'd already be a citizen in the Federation.
>>
>>15235581
They're losing during that part of the book, but by the end of the book it's clear that they've swung things around.

I stand corrected on the brain bugs.
>>
what was the in-universe explanation why SICON went from laser based weapons back to ballistic between 2 & 3?
>>
>>15236537
When did they have laser weapons?
>>
>>15234387
the end of the 3rd movie was turning into the imperium, so yea.
>>
File: SST2 Weapons.png (433KB, 576x493px) Image search: [Google]
SST2 Weapons.png
433KB, 576x493px
>>15236631
In SST2 the rifles emit a light blue muzzle burst different from the 1st film:
https://youtu.be/f-Xo1a9NQ-A?t=1m42s

Apparently the pulse weapons in the 2nd film were only a limited production run. But why give it to a unit on a backwater outpost?
http://starshiptroopers.wikia.com/wiki/E-pulse_44_Rifle
http://starshiptroopers.wikia.com/wiki/E-pulse_88_Rifle
>>
Didn't the armor from the movie get reused in a million other things by the studio that owned it afterwards?
>>
>>15237653

It showed up in Power Rangers quite a bit.
>>
>>15236537
Nobody cares about the movie sequels 2 and 3. The only one worth talking about is Invasion.
>>
>>15237653
not just that studio
they sold the armor off cheap enough that it shows up in many low budget productions like G-Saviour
>>
>>15237662
Firefly, too.
>>
>>15237734
3 was pretty funny, though. It had a psychic pop star president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWDfUI4X0Vg
>>
>>15237653
where 2 cop set?
>>
>>15238057
I like to sing that song when playing Helldivers.
>>
>>15237662
>>15237853

I'm guessing FOX owns the rights to the armor then.
>>
File: idol master race.jpg (264KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
idol master race.jpg
264KB, 800x600px
>>15238057
The plot should have been about him and putting celebrities in power instead of the religion angle that was dated even in 2008.
>>
File: 189467546189.jpg (50KB, 513x263px) Image search: [Google]
189467546189.jpg
50KB, 513x263px
>>15234476
>>15234034

The book does not clarify how BA was attacked. It only describes it as being "smeared" and destroyed. Same with San Francisco when it was destroyed. The book made no mention of Klendathu having asteroids or Bugs using them as weapons.
>>
>>15229911
>(a completely nonsensical contradiction in terms, given that every military and civil service throughout history has operated through a hierarchical structure and not through popular vote)

Which is why you can't vote until you've finished service. Otherwise you might vote to not go into combat.

It was covered in the book.
>>
>tfw the remake is going to kill off the movie series.

I love the book, but I wish the movie's universe was able to continue.
>>
>>15232105

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?

That's also a good book.
>>
>>15240877
>Which is why you can't vote until you've finished service.

You don't even have to finish service, I think. You only need a minimum of 2 years. At least that's how it was for those that enlisted in the military side.
>>
>>15240877

That's not the point I was making, it's that like a lot of the book, it basically runs on "look it works, ok". Heinlein's approach to a lot of things in the book are mostly surface-level.

>Otherwise you might vote to not go into combat.

The society was designed in such a way that it wouldn't be a realistic situation, especially considering their options are "fight, or everyone dies and they win"

>>15240896
>You don't even have to finish service, I think. You only need a minimum of 2 years.

Even if you finished your 2 years, you couldn't vote if you were actively serving in combat.
>>
>>15240885
I agree. And if it wasn't for 2 and 3, that might have been the case. Invasion was a step in the right direction, but it had its own problems and flew too low under the radar for the general public to even notice.

I think the best solution is to do a soft reboot like Fury Road did in that it doesn't ignore the original film, but isn't constrained by the entries that happened after.
>>
>>15230017
Wasn't the point of the raid on the skinnies to basically bully them into switching sides or am I remembering this incorrectly?
>>
>>15240990
Yes, more or less. In the book, it was implied that the Federation was already having armed conflicts with the Skinnies in the form of "contact troubles." It became full-blown war with the Skinnies when the Arachnids used them to locate Earth. While Rico's team was raiding the Skinnies earlly in the book it was mentioned that there were Federation efforts to bring them over to their side against the Arachnids.
>>
>>15238660
Don't think they do I know they made so much of the armor for the movie they ended up selling it off dirt cheap to anyone because they didn't know what else to do with it.
>>
>>15240990
Yes, which is why they got orders to break shit but try to limit the murder if possible.
>>
>>15228554

Inspiration for MuvLuv's BETA?
>>
>>15241556
Muv-Luv in general is pretty Starship Troopers-y (orbital drops against an inhuman, hive-based enemy, etc.), and it may be that Kouki was a fan of the ST OVA. I don't think the BETA very much resemble the OVA aliens, though; there are specific BETA strains and hives while the OVA bugs are just...weird tentacle things that shoot glowing goo.
>>
>>15241692
The BETA laser-class remind me of the OVA aliens. Two little legs supporting an armless globular body that shoots some kind of energy weapon.

The OVA is also some quintessential Japanese military sci-fi, so the influence it has on Muv-Luv is pretty obvious (as are things like Forever War, where Muv-Luv gets its hypnotic combat triggers from).
>>
>>15241775
Oh yeah, good point. The laser classes were probably most similar in looks and operation to the OVA bugs.
>>
>>15240990

Did that really justify using a bomb that looked like the Joker designed it?
>>
>>15241692
To be fair Muv Luv seems to homage just about every incarnation of Starship Troopers in some fashion as part of its love letter tribute to various scifi classics.
>>
I'm from Argentina and I say thank God for the bugs delivering us from the most wretched rat nest of infamy and evil in the universe
>>
>>15244189
Are you white?
>>
File: service guarantees citizenship.jpg (448KB, 839x498px) Image search: [Google]
service guarantees citizenship.jpg
448KB, 839x498px
Out of the ashes of Kyoto comes first sorrow, then anger.

"The only good BETA is a DEAD BETA!"

In Tokyo, the surviving forces regroup.

"We must meet the threat with our valor, our blood, indeed with our very lives, to ensure that Japanese people, not BETA, dominates this land now and always!"

American forces announce plans for a retreat, and Australia starts to accept refugees.

Everyday military scientists are looking for new ways to kill BETA.

"Your basic Destroyer-class BETA is tough from the front. You can hit it with a 120mm shell and it's still 86% combat effective. Here's a tip, do a boost-jump to its rear and put it down for good.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?
>>
>>15244336

Well every Argentenian in the movie is.

Though in fairness. back in the day whites were something like 70% of the populations. Now they're more like 25%
>>
>>15241692
>orbital drops against an inhuman, hive-based enemy, etc

Those are all common tropes scene in sci-fi. Like spaceships and robots. Not really exclusive to ST.
>>
>>15229602
reading is for nerds.
>>
>>15244529

Not exclusive but ST did it first.
>>
>>15235460

Already did my time.
>>
>>15224514
not good
>>
File: john-steakley-armor.jpg (49KB, 610x324px) Image search: [Google]
john-steakley-armor.jpg
49KB, 610x324px
>>15234377
If you are having trouble with SST, may i suggest Armor by john steakly - same basic premise but, focuses on completely different themes.
>>
>>15244529
Brother, who do you think started the trend?
>>
>>15247935
Not the anon you quoted, but that looks neat. Will bookmark.
>>
File: 80678563464596.png (321KB, 786x377px) Image search: [Google]
80678563464596.png
321KB, 786x377px
>>15248559
>implying Heinlein invented sci-fi

Is this nigga for real?
>>
>>15249386
You can't be serious.
>>
>>15249386
He's not saying that RAH invented SF, just that he popularized orbital drops, hive-based enemies, etc.

I'm not terribly sure I agree. I've always thought of Dorsai! as at least equal to Troopers in pioneering military SF. Dorsai! was written during 1959, while Starship Troopers (which I believe was RAH's first "hard military" work) was during 1958-1959. Concurrent works like this are probably a sign that the trend was already present. I'd like to check that by reading a few years' worth of pulp magazines to see what the common themes were, but I don't think that's possible these days. Archival projects exist, but are scattered and seem to be focused on earlier stuff.
>>
>>15249495
>>15241692

Heinlein didn't come up with the concept of orbital troop drops. In fact it was seriously considered in the '50s by Maj Gen Medaris who was then commander of what was known as the Army Ballistic Missile Agency.
>>
>>15249596
Whoah, really? I didn't know that. I'mma have to read a bit on Gen. Medaris, he sounds like a /m/an from the 50s.
>>
File: 90678563464596.png (587KB, 1100x725px) Image search: [Google]
90678563464596.png
587KB, 1100x725px
>>15249657
Medaris is said to have come up with the idea of strapping soldiers into a rocket and shooting them into space. Not all that farfetched of an idea considering all the other batshit ideas the military would come up with (some of which actually being implemented) using technologies developed in during WWII and the years following it. The actual proposal didn't come until years later in the '60s known as Project Ithacus or something like that. The Marine Corps revisited the idea again decades later with the SUSTAIN concept and Project Hot Eagle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSTAIN_(military)
>>
How did the feds fake the meteors shadow over BA?
>>
>>15237350
Because a blinking blue light is a cheaper effect than firing blanks.
>>
>>15238091
Keep tabs on propstore.com
Their inventory rotates fairly regularly so you have to check back a lot. A full original armor set from SST would cost at least a couple thousand now.
>>
>>15249816
It was a real meteor, just not one launched by the bugs.
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.