[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is it called patlabor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: patlabor.jpg (10KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
patlabor.jpg
10KB, 270x187px
what is the pat for
>>
>>15215974
PATORORU REIBAH
It says in literally the first few seconds of almost every episode.
>>
>>15215974
Patrol.

Japs love their portmanteaus, so a patrol car becomes patocar.

And a patrol labor would become Patlabor.
>>
>>15215983
That makes a lot of sense. Don't know why I didn't even think of that.
>>
>>15216146

Especially when it fucking says so in the opening
>>
What's a general consensus on the movies? Just got done with the TV series and planning on watching them this weekend.
>>
>>15216303
First movie is great, more serious than the show but it still feels like Patlabor.

Second movie is also great but holy shit is it not a comedy, I don't think there was a single joke or "fun" moment in the entire film, all drama.

To understand the second movie's plot better, I recommend reading up on the whole "Japan cannot declare war anymore" thing if you don't already know about it.

Third movie is shit, don't watch it.
>>
>>15216324
Is the third movie XVIII or whatever it's called? Any single reason why it's so bad?
>>
>>15216303

The quality of the movies is directly related to how much you like the SVU2 team.

And they're a likable bunch
>>
>>15216339
I like Noa the most and can relate to how much she loves Alphonse. Only SVU2 member I would have a problem with would be Ota but I like the rest of the cast.
>>
>>15216338
Not that anon, but WXIII might as well not be Patlabor. The main cast is barely more than a cameo in an otherwise generic sci-fi mystery that happens to be set in the same world. It's maybe worth it as a curiosity at best.

But yeah, the first two movies are generally very well-made, but more serious. The first still manages to be pure, distilled Patlabor fun, while the second is sort of a political drama.

Also keep in mind the movies are a separate continuity, fitting after the Early Days OVA. The TV anime is its own thing, plus New Files which is basically more episodes.
>>
Why is OP a faggot
>>
why is it called patlabor when it is so anti-union
>>
>>15220036
>he still thinks Verb Ideologies can be taken at face value
>>
>>15215974
Pat on the back
>>
File: lwqeql.jpg (332KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
lwqeql.jpg
332KB, 1920x1040px
>>15216360
I really hated how much she changed on the second movie.
WTF happened to her
>>
>>15215974
it's for headpats
>>
>>15221334
Oshii's artistic ambitions
>>
>>15216462
>WXIII might as well not be Patlabor
It's clear from the way they named the movie. WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3 not Patlabor the Movie 3: WXIII
>>
>>15221334
Oshii is a hack
>>
>>15221334
She grew up.

AFAIK Oshii backs off on this GROW UP JAPAN stance a bit in TNGPat, but then again TNG has no subs so maybe I just understand it wrong.

Thematically 2 is a story about growing up, though. At least that's how I saw it.
>>
>>15221494
>Thematically 2 is a story about growing up, though. At least that's how I saw it.
yeah, "and then SV2 moved on with their lives" is kind of a big part of it
I took Noa's line to be more that there's more to her than _just_ liking labors, not that shw doesn't like them anymore or anything.
>>
I'm close to finishing the OVA and now I'm finding out there's also an anime version, not to mention movies.

Did I fuck up the order? Is there a chart for this shit? What to watch next? Help, /m/.
>>
>>15221820
Don't worry about it. There are two continuities and they sometimes retread the same ground, but Patlabor doesn't have a lot of intricate backstory, so there's no real risk.

Here's what I'd do, though. Since you just finished OVA1, you should go on to the movies. Then you should switch to the other continuity, which is Anime, then OVA2.
>>
>>15221843
All right, thanks anon.
>>
>>15216462
Is there a place to download the subs for the new files?
>>
>>15225523
i found it
>>
>>15221802
>>15221494

The problem isn't having the characters GROW UP but the fact that they don't show it. Instead they all did it off screen just to facilitate the new story and it comes off as hallow and cheap.
>>
File: 1445693539804.jpg (357KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
1445693539804.jpg
357KB, 1280x848px
>>15216303
First movie is one of my top anime movies period. It's Patlabor at it's finest.

I love the second one as well but it feels more like a Tom Clancy movie with mechas than anything else.

Never had the courage to watch the third.
>>
Can someone explain the Griffin arc to me?
Am I retarded? I'm watching the New Files months after I watched the TV show and have questions. Like why go through all this risk to fight the police with a 12 year old indian boy instead of just doing a mock battle.

Still a great show though.
>Sorry!
Goddamn the balls on that man.
>>
File: 122783.jpg (23KB, 225x261px) Image search: [Google]
122783.jpg
23KB, 225x261px
>>15227514
>Can someone explain the Griffin arc to me?

Mock battles don't always yield real world results. Plus he wanted to sell internationally.
>>
File: 1485233453301.jpg (26KB, 438x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485233453301.jpg
26KB, 438x500px
>>15216462
The third movie is well made, drawn, and animated , too; you just don't care for the bio-scifi plot (which was a big trope during the late 90s early 2000s)
>>
>>15227514
Don't remember the names, but the company and division behind the Griffin had worse control software than Shinohara Industries, so they were trying to get their hands on the Ingram's field tested data to study it. Basically, corporate espionage.

When that didn't work out they tried to just beat the 2nd Division's Ingrams using the griffin to prove a point.
>>
File: nDUKqcv.jpg (97KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
nDUKqcv.jpg
97KB, 960x720px
i love kanuka
>>
>>15227514
>Can someone explain the Griffin arc to me?
>Am I retarded? I'm watching the New Files months after I watched the TV show and have questions.

The only available subs for the TV series are straight up nonsense, an anon went through them on /m/ a few years ago pointing out how bad they were.

The Griffon arc was the worst off where the translations just start making up random shit instead of actually translating anything.
>>
>>15234068

>tfw you will never combat with Kanuka
>>
File: SV2_Maintenance_is_srs_bsns.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
SV2_Maintenance_is_srs_bsns.webm
2MB, 640x360px
This is your maintenance team tonight.
>>
HOW THE FUCK IS THIS THREAD STILL ALIVE????
>>
>>15215974
it's a reference to the rabbit ears on the robot
>>
>>15234164
Is this true? I'm about halfway through, got to the part where Kanuka leaves.

The subs seem fine so far, do they get worse?
>>
>>15234667
>The subs seem fine so far, do they get worse?
Much of the TV subs massively miss the point, like "We're under soandso's jurisdiction" instead of "Soandso doesn't have jurisdiction here"
OVA subs are good because it's Neil Nadelman. TV subs are Alan Smithee.
>>
>>15234236
BRILLIANT
>>
>>15234680
The worst part is that they'll never be re-translated. Really sucks.
>>
>>15234680
>>15236594
And there are no fan subs I'm guessing?

Anybody have the aforementioned image about the subtitle errors?
>>
>>15236671
It's not an image, it's a thread. Might be in the archives.

They were REALLY bad, like "it must have crashed" becoming "it must have self-destructed", and a massive amount of the plot surrounding Utsumi became straight up nonsense, IIRC his alibi for the Griffon incident is missing because the translator couldn't tell the difference between "this week" and "last week", and lines about him wanting to sell it to other countries are removed entirely.
>>
>>15216303
The first one is great.
The second is slightly below or slightly above depending on who you ask or what you seek in it.
The third one is a spin-off and not really in line with whatever makes a Patlabor movie (not a bad one on its own tho).

>>15216360
>hating Ota
My pleb sense is tingling!

>>15226424
Yeah, maybe if we didn't have 3 timelines repeating the same stories we could actually see them grow up leading to the Movie 2 plot.

>>15234068
Wait a second, it's me who love Kanuka!
>>
>>15234068
If she's truly American, shouldn't her name be CanoeCar?
>>
>>15216303
I find the movies sorta hard to enjoy because I watched Patlabor On TV first and the cast became the main selling point of the series for me - and they're hardly in the movies. Thought the plot was solid but not amazing (I think Oshii's general style just isn't for me)
>>
>>15238599
The first movie is pretty akin to the TV show and OVAs if you ask me.
>>
>>15238689
Compared to the following two movies, yeah. Too much of it consisted of Gotoh & the detective wandering around random pretty locales for my liking though.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.