[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting Gundam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: 00L.jpg (2MB, 2439x3492px) Image search: [Google]
00L.jpg
2MB, 2439x3492px
I've seen a smattering of episodes of Wing and G back in the Toonami days, but that's it.

So, being the obsessive that I am, I've decided to watch it all, in release order. And I mean all of it. Who else has done this? Is it worth it?

Anyways, currently about to start the fourth episode of 0079, and I'm really liking it so far. Seems to create a good balance between realistic war drama and silly mecha battles.
>>
It is worth it you will enjoy all that Gundam has 2 offer!!!

But don't flake out on us pussy
>>
My goal is to watch it all in the order that it was released, but it seems kind of difficult to make sure I'm keeping track of it all.

There are a lot of obscure short films and picture dramas and certain series have 'remastered' episodes and the gundam wiki is kind of balls about laying it all out.

I'll do my best though...
>>
>>15215101
Try just normal wikipedia or ann or anything that focuses on the anime side of things rather than the in-universe.

Good luck.
>>
>>15215101
We should be able to help you, if you ever have any doubts just post the one you are currently watching/just watched and we'll tell you what comes next.
>>
I'm currently doing something similar. I started with the MSG compilation movies which were great. I finished Zeta Gundam series a few weeks ago and am now starting the older OVAs like War In The Pocket and 08th MS Team before I move onto ZZ Gundam. I'm also watching IBO on the side which has been great.
>>
>>15215107

thanks. I'm basically cross-referencing the gundam wiki with normal wikipedia and myanimelist.

>>15215114

Thanks. I actually did have a question. I've been trying to stick to dubs where available (because I like to multi-task and I had heard the gundam dubs aren't that bad) but I'm worried about censorship, especially with the ones that aired on toonami.

Are there any dubs I should steer clear of for this reason?
>>
>>15215120
Yeah I like the dubs too. Heads up, when you get to Gundam SEED, make absolute sure you're watching the dubs because the subs are insufferable (vid related)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjfbUfcJUM

In regards to your question, ironically it's SEED that you should steer clear of because of how CN replaced the infantry arms with cheesy laser beams. I reccomend watching the version that uses japanese visuals with western audio, you can find this on kissanime
>>
File: Gundam.gif (1MB, 2400x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam.gif
1MB, 2400x3000px
>>15215101
>>15215116
Have a chart, but it's missing the last 5 years or so. Build fighters, Reconguista in G, The Origin and Iron Blooded Orphans, and I may be forgetting stuff
>>
thanks for all the info guys, i'm heading out to dinner for right now but I will keep you updated on my thoughts.
>>
>>15215073
I've done it. It was a disappointing experience as the franchise peaks very early.
>>
File: Gundam.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>15215159
Heres a semi-updated one
>>
File: 18032649352.jpg (3MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
18032649352.jpg
3MB, 2800x3402px
>>15215159
This is the current chart
>>
>>15215251
>Turn A regarded as a low point
>IBO not even finished
This one's a troll chart.
>>
File: 1436655314457.jpg (2MB, 2800x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1436655314457.jpg
2MB, 2800x3000px
>>15215073
I also decided to watch all of Gundam in release order, back in like 2012. I would say yes, it is worth it. It is the best overall order to watch everything. But don't be afraid to drop the side stories / AU you don't like. I dropped Wing and Seed very early on in each series and those are the small parts of Gundam I haven't seen by now.

0079 is basically the best out of the franchise, so take it all in. I personally liked Turn A and Zeta better but 0079 is probably the most well liked of the community and it builds up Zeta and all the rest.
>>
>>15215073
Here is how I started to watch Gundam.

Seed (Did not continue to Destiny)
G Gundam

After I watched these two, I decided I would dedicate my self to Gundam

Gundam 79
Zeta
ZZ
CHAR'S COUNTER ATTACK

after this I fell in love with Gundam,

00 season 1 and 2
00 Awakening of the trailblazer

and then

Turn A Gundam.

This is the all round pack IMO. I watched Gundam wing and endless waltz while watching Iron blooded orphans when ever they came out. Just finished Gundam Thunderbolt right now.

Hope this can get you started
>>
File: -.gi.gif (55KB, 202x206px) Image search: [Google]
-.gi.gif
55KB, 202x206px
>>15215265
>"Destiny regarded as one of the best"
>and they didn't even take out the "grossly unprofessional writing, etc" part in the cons
So this is the World of Contradictions?
>>
>>15215440
ALL HAIL THE HYPNO BUG
>>
>>15215073
>in release order.
Good, you're doing it right. Stand proud, you're head and shoulders over those in-universe chronology fools.

>>15215120
>dubs
Oh no... he's retarded!
>>
>>15215440
But IBO is actually the worst thing Gundam has had to offer since AGE, and maybe even since SEED Destiny. GBF Try comes close but not quite there. The cons may sound biased but they aren't wrong.
>>
>>15215474
Honest question here, what is it people don't like about IBO ? I mean the politics are so good in this, and the whole thing about the tech that is forbidden reminds me of Turn A Gundam.

I get that the whole sub plot with Kudelia was tiresome, but what is it that gets this show so much hate ?
>>
>>15215116
I'm doing the same thing.
>>
>>15215675
>Honest question here, what is it people don't like about IBO ?
Go to /a/'s livestream threads.
>I mean the politics are so good in this, and the whole thing about the tech that is forbidden reminds me of Turn A Gundam.
Serious question how new are you to anime?
>>
TC here, I've finished the initial 'Char' arc, consisting of the first five episodes.

Pros:
The setting is very interesting. A world gripped in civil war with child soldiers forced to bear the brunt of the trauma. It hooked me right away.

A large cast of characters that for the most part are quite deep. I especially like Amuro and Mirai.

Char obviously has a lot of potential as a villain, but it's too early for me to really read him.

Cons:
I can already see them starting to recycle animation for the battles.

Some parts feel a little too episodic, with Char retreating and attacking multiple times.

A lot of the Federation guys are dicks, especially the leader of Luna II. Just seems like a weird decision for what is supposed to be the good guys.

All in all, it's a good start. The dated animation doesn't bother me (I actually don't like the newer CG stuff) and the writing is pretty damn good even with the dub.

Next up is the 'Garma' arc, with the White Base finally reaching Earth, but in Zeon territory. Sounds like a fun ride.
>>
I watched up to f91, decided that I don't care about Gundam series that don't have Zeon, and just watched the rest of the early UC series.
>>
>>15215073
I've done the full run. It's a good time usually. Low points include the first half of ZZ, X, and Wing for me.
>>
>>15218348
>Just seems like a weird decision for what is supposed to be the good guys.
>Federation
>good guys

No.
>>
File: Obi-Wan-2.jpg (10KB, 480x216px) Image search: [Google]
Obi-Wan-2.jpg
10KB, 480x216px
Anyone know when 08Th MS Team comes out on bluray?

People keep recommending it to me
>>
>>15218348
>The setting is very interesting. A world gripped in civil war with child soldiers forced to bear the brunt of the trauma. It hooked me right away.

Definitely makes it known when you see crowd of civvies fucking eat shit from some loose cannon rook trying to play hero.

>A large cast of characters that for the most part are quite deep. I especially like Amuro and Mirai.

I feel like no other Gundam protagonist has reached Amuro's well-rounded character. They run the gamut of being too preachy, too much of a puss, or too much of an unlikable shit. I'd say Kamille comes the closest, but he doesn't get anymore development past Zeta.

>Char obviously has a lot of potential as a villain, but it's too early for me to really read him.

He definitely comes off as a guy that just happens to be on the other side of the conflict. He can be a complete bastard at times though, you'll see later on.

>I can already see them starting to recycle animation for the battles.

Yep. Definitely in line with a lot of animation of that caliber at the time.

>Some parts feel a little too episodic, with Char retreating and attacking multiple times.

Makes sense considering that it is only Char's skill in the beginning that pulls his ass out of the fire against the Gundam and its rook pilot.

>A lot of the Federation guys are dicks, especially the leader of Luna II. Just seems like a weird decision for what is supposed to be the good guys.

The Federation isn't 'good' per se. They're believable in the sense that they're like any other state and trying to protect its interests and keeping things in order, it just so happens that Zeon is worse.

Good to see that the dated animation isn't an issue, considering it was an instant turn-off for a generation that had Wing as their first experience with Gundam.
>>
>>15215073

Watch
>UC
>WIng
>G

if you have some tolerance to cringe
>00
>IBO

Forget

>Victory
>Seed
>Beyblade of gundams/Build Fighters

>>15215251
Still the best chart

in fact just follow the will of the force, though the chart is the best way to explain it
>>
>>15218693
May 2nd, and yeah it's pretty swell.
>>
File: time for some rapework.gif (2MB, 490x367px) Image search: [Google]
time for some rapework.gif
2MB, 490x367px
>>15218693

we need a /m/ drawfag of SRW with all eras of SW

atleast someone may finally do the Ahsoka Langley, Obi-Wan Maxwell and Revan Char

>>15215073
just follow /m/ chart

one thing about Stardust Memory is that the dub sometimes sounds like an Mix of Heavy gear and mech commander with character Designs coming out of NGE Like Kou looking like old and bitter Shinji, Nina being Ritsuko and Delaz 2nd in command being Fuyutsuki with long hair, even if NGE's 1st episode aired 3 years later
>>
>>15215120
Quick rundown on the Gundam dubs

>0079
Excellent, perfect blend of cheesy and serious that fits the show like a glove. Best English voices of Amuro and Char.
>0079 movies
Bad in a charming way. Worth watching once for britbong Bright and Steve Blum Char.
>Zeta
Uses a different cast from 0079. Not terrible but fairly wooden. English Scirocco is complete gold.
>ZZ
Doesn't exist outside of a handful of clips of a terrible Asian dub. STUPID ADULTS
>CCA
Returning cast from 0079. Keeps up the quality.
>0080
Al can be love it or hate it, but it's a fairly good dub. Notable for starring David Hayter AKA Solid Snake as Bernie.
>0083
Falls under the not terrible but kind of iffy group. English Gato is great, but the rest of the cast is pretty hit-or-miss.
>08th MS Team
Same boat as 0083 for the most part.
>Unicorn
Pretty good all around. Yet another new cast so the Char/Full Frontal connection isn't quite as strong.
>Origin
Haven't gotten around to it yet but it's the same studio as Unicorn so it's probably good.
>Wing
Again, not terrible but not that great either. Quite nostalgic though.
>G
Despite my live for it, I have to admit the first half can be pretty bad. Wooden performances, awkward direction and some terrible side characters. The second half is a massive upgrade though, stick with it and you got one of the most entertaining English dubs out there.
>SEED/SEED Destiny
Japanese Kira's crying sounds like a donkey getting raped by a horse. English Kira volunteered to get his balls kicked to get authentic crying. Need I say more?
>00
Despite being one of the more recent dubs, it's honestly one of the worst. Questionable casting choices and bland direction.
>F91
Top-notch dub that excels in all areas. Not much more to say.
>IBO
Haven't watched it because IBO is shit
>SD Force
It's a dub for a kid-focused spin-off, I don't really think a description is necessary.
>Sangokuden BBW
Great in a king fu dub kind of way

Did I miss anything?
>>
>>15215073
>Who else has done this?

Only autists do it.

> Is it worth it?

No. There is a lot of shit in the Gundam franchise and by watching it all furthermore in production order you'll end fast forwarding most of it and end up not giving a shit, or you'll overdose and still end up not giving a shit.

The key to appreciating Gundam is called " choose what piques your interest". Nobody likes everything unless you fucking have no taste that is.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.