[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Armored Trooper Votoms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: shsbb4.png (377KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shsbb4.png
377KB, 640x480px
This wasn't as good as people made it out to be.
>>
>>15211497
A hundred people a hundred tastes.
No one says absolutely everyone has to love it.

Just look for a show that has the part you liked and doesn't have the stuff you did not.
>>
>>15211497

Stylistically, as in what kind of story it is, the setting, etc it's 10/10. The actual execution of the story is 6/10. They clearly made the plot up as they went. I still really liked it. A lot of people like these shows because of what they COULD be. And because anime got worse, and focused more on lolis and teenage nonsense instead of gritty stories about war.

Prepared to be disapointed by LOGH as well if you see it. Similar story.

I still like both. And the ATs are the coolest mechs ever.
>>
>>15211497
>This wasn't as good as people made it out to be.

No of course not. It's a good show that derails pretty fast and never recovers. It's not even one of the best real mecha series out there.
It's just one of the many standard 1980s undistinguished mecha shows from that time.
>>
>>15211574
>Prepared to be disapointed by LOGH as well if you see it. Similar story.

Ha ha ha ha not even close. Not even close, neither in this universe nor in any other alternate reality. LOGH has some defects, but the story has a cohesiveness that Votoms never even had in the first place.
You might fight the ending of LOGH underwhelming but it's not. Unless your ideal of pretty gritty warfare is bunch of teddy bears outclassing an empire to put it mildly.
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (415KB, 1277x1472px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
415KB, 1277x1472px
>>15211574
>And because anime got worse, and focused more on lolis and teenage nonsense instead of gritty stories about war.

Military fetishism is the same sort of shit as high school drama.

It doesn't matter what the show is.
What matters is its execution.

Thunderbolt is a drag despite beautiful visuals and one of the most military fetishistic stories and gritty stories ever. It sucks because it's just an endless wanking of how gritty war is for idiots who think that somehow makes for good stories or entertainment.
>>
You know what is a problem that I frequently read people complaining after watching Votoms? Is said person claiming that they told him that Votoms is a "real robot/mecha" series and them getting disappointed. People probably come expecting a almost solely war story with some political intrigue, when Votoms is not that.

I think that the best way to describe Votoms is saying that it looks alot like one of those science fiction book series from the late 60's into early 80's, the likes of Dune or some of Robert Heinlein novels, and so on. It's a plot that evolves from a military intrigue into a survival in a almost mad max corrupt/lawless city, into a religious war in a space vietnam, goes to showdown in a wasteland, and them finally into a quest to ancient power.
>>
Was Chirico actually willing to sacrifice Fyana and the gang in order to fuck over Wiseman or did he had faith in them a little bit too much?
>>
>>15211810
The terms I use when I describe VOTOMS to people is "Dune+Starship Troopers+Mad Max"
>>
>>15211497
>how to spot a spic: the post
You have to come back, Pedro.
>>
File: 1487191820285.jpg (61KB, 330x318px) Image search: [Google]
1487191820285.jpg
61KB, 330x318px
I just finished VOTOMs, I wasn't expecting any of that shit that down in the last 5 or so episodes, it was a ride and a half.

Where the fuck do they take it from there?
>>
>>15211810
>>15211928
that sounds so much fucking better than the usual muh grunts muh reals circlejerkers make it out to be, god damn

bout to start this shit tonight
>>
>>15215174
They jump straight into the trash can.The squeals are all garbage.
>>
>>15215175
Enjoy.
You won't
>>
>>15211574
>And focused more on lolis and teenage nonsense instead of gritty stories about war.
Can someone explain to me why retard old man animation company bosses think its a shrinking market where only Otaku still care yet worldwide anime is far more popular than ever? Japanese auto companies have no problem constructing larger vehicles designed for foreign markets as well as vehicles with Japan in mind or even both. This is because they actually like making money.
So what.the.fuck. is the anime industries problem? I can only assume Xenophobia because its the only possible answer.
MAKE SOME ACTION SHOWS THAT AREN'T ABOUT HIGH SCHOOLERS goddammit. Or maybe something that actually has intelligent things to say in dialogue like Lain instead of Anno-isms that are LOL SO DEEP which everything from Death Note to the latest Shonen seem to have
Call me a grognard or whatever but im only 24 and not pedo enough to think moe girl #28485628 is anywhere NEAR as sexy as any girls from Cobra or Dirty Pair. Fuck /a/ and fuck people that cry Nostalgiafag at shows that just got fuckin translated a few years back.
>>
>>15211497
Translation for OP for people who don't speak faggot

"WAAAH WAAAH NAW NUFF BOOM BOOM SPARKLIES LIKE GUWWEN WAGGEN WAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. NAW NUFF HOT GIRLS LIKE EVANJELLYION WAH WAH NAH FUNNEH ENOUGH LIKE GEESE WAAH WAAH"
>>
>>15215174
The stuff that goes into his backstory is okay.

The post series stuff, is, well I don't hate it like most people, but I only really liked a few things on it that I won't spoil.
>>
People who like Votoms have IQs in the double digits.
>>
>>15216275
People in the west buy Japanese cars. People in the west do not buy anime. Or at least not enough people here buy anime for them to care about western audiences. And I say buy here because what matters is sales and not fans. We aren't a major market so most of them don't really care.
>>
>>15216282
How much were you shaking when you typed that out?
>>
>>15211497
>xpearse
>>
>>15211574
>LOGH and Votoms have stories that were made up as they went

Wrong on both accounts. Listen to the director commentary and read all the interviews with him.
>>
File: this is you.jpg (666KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
this is you.jpg
666KB, 1280x1024px
It's pretty obvious that at least half this thread is OP samefagging. This thread epitomizes everything that is wrong with neo /m/
>>
>>15216321
>People in the west buy Japanese cars manufactured in the west

Fixed
>>
That tends to happen when you buy into fan hype.
I still like re-watching the first half of the TV series though. Fem Chirico is my waifu.
>>
>>15216232
>They jump straight into the trash can.The squeals are all garbage.

Nope, Mellowlink is the only Votoms sequel that can be accurately described as gritty war drama.
Rambo-like. The rest I wouldn't know about, but Mellowlink is Votoms without the God complex bullshit.
>>
People have different taste. People love macross but I can't get into it because just of the jpop. I like the jets and how they transform but I can't stand the music.
>>
>>15217297
Mellowlink is good, but Mellowlink isn't a sequel. It's a spin off and time wise takes place concurrently to the main story. I was referring only to the sequel OVAs that feature Chirico.
>>
>>15215174
Watch all the OVAs made in the 80s. Avoid everything after
>>
>>15211497
Great, now that you've gotten tired of trashing all the Gundams, you've moved on to shitting on VOTOMS
>>
>>15217418
>Shining Heresy
>avoid
Wew lad
>>
>>15217418
Stop this teen nonsense. Shining Heresy and Alone Again are masterpieces.
>>
>>15211590
What's a better Real mecha? I didn't like Gaseraki and Dougram isn't better than Votoms.
>>
>>15216814
Ironically, you're a faggot who always spams that shitty image. Maybe you should get some new material.
>>
File: Laughing Banshee.jpg (162KB, 800x771px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Banshee.jpg
162KB, 800x771px
>>15211497
Welcome to /m/, where we love things no matter what the self proclaimed highbrow faggots of MAL or ANN believe is oscar worthy.
>>
>>15211497
never is
>>
File: 1320776928298.jpg (259KB, 1600x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1320776928298.jpg
259KB, 1600x1139px
>>15211574
>And the ATs are the coolest mechs ever.

You aren't wrong, I would do inappropriate things to a Scopedog, but they seemed unsuited for the fantastical setting. You got these great, realistic humanoid-tanks that seem highly practical and not terribly complex being used by, apparently, interstellar civilizations with incredible technology. It's kinda like the inverse of MSG, where the mecha are fantastical and the setting is grounded/realistic.
>>
>>15216814
>he thinks it's the bait threads and not the obvious forum sliding that people use to backseat mod what they want or don't want on the board

As they say, found the retard
>>
>>15211603
having fun with your derpy kids show tier super robots anon?
>>
>>15221163
Besides having populations on multiple planets, there was nothing particularly fantastical about Votoms' setting (aside from Wiseman).
>>
>>15221236
>interstellar FTL space travel isn't fantastical

Even Gundam is harder sci-fi, including the mecha, ATs are weirdly clunky and simple machines for their setting.
>>
>>15221524
>Even Gundam is harder sci-fi
But that's wrong. Gundam is literally a series where people power up their robots by focusing their psychic rage to channel the spirits of dead people.
>>
Is there any Mega folder with all the remastered episodes subbed by g_p?
>>
Repill me on why the OVAs except Mellowlink sucks /m/
>>
>>15221751
>redpill

Why would you want us to replace the lie you believe in with the lie someone else believes in?
>>
>>15221756
Because a lie shared by more than one person is closer to the truth

Or something
>>
>>15221782
A collective delusion designed to subdue the masses is dangerous no matter the scale.

I feel this irony is not actually well appreciated by those who have appropriated the term "red pill:" the world outside the Matrix may have been real, but it was just as much part of the Matrix's design. It is in of itself bait meant to weed out threats to the stability of the program, feeding them convenient truths while leaving out the crucial detail that they were all being herded in one location to expedite their extermination in the leadup to the next reboot of the Matrix.
>>
>>15221833
That's a cool theory senpai

But can you just tell me why the OVAs are a pile of donkey dicks
>>
>>15221874
>theory

IT'S LITERALLY SPELT OUT, COLONEL SANDERS IN THE TV SHOWCASE ROOM TELLS YOU ALL ABOUT HOW IT'S A LOAD OF HORSESHIT AND THE MATRIX HAS BEEN STABLE FOR SEVERAL ITERATIONS BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP FALLING FOR THE LOW QUALITY BAIT BECAUSE THEY WON'T ACCEPT THE NORM.

THE WHOLE NOTION OF THE ONE IS JUST A CHAOTIC VARIABLE REPRESENTING HUMANITY'S CAPACITY TO DOUBT AND BE SKEPTICAL OF THE WORLD AROUND THEM, THE RESISTANCE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A COLLECTION OF CONSPIRACY THEORISTS TOO SKEPTICAL TO ACCEPT NEARLY ANYTHING, THE RED PILL IS JUST BAIT THAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU ARE IN CONTROL WHEN THE FACT IS YOU ARE NOT IN CONTROL.

IT'S A CONVENIENT TRUTH CONCEALING AN INCONVENIENT MOTIVE.
>>
>>15221833
also it's really fucking autistic to label what's supposed to be something important with shit from a scifi karate movie
it's like the retards who compare shit to harry potter and crap because they're still stupid kids
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-02-20-00h11m35s808.png (361KB, 720x482px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-02-20-00h11m35s808.png
361KB, 720x482px
Just finished Votoms. Not really what i expected after the "vietnam" stuff but i liked it. Worth it just for pic related.

Also Chirico is probably one of the most competent mc and one of my favorite now.

I probably wont bother with anything the end of the serie, the last minutes were perfect, maybe just Mellowlink since its a sidestory.
>>
File: 1400843767396.jpg (69KB, 720x528px) Image search: [Google]
1400843767396.jpg
69KB, 720x528px
This meme about skipping everything beyond the TV series needs to stop.

Yes, I know that the TV series is animated perfection but the shakey continuity of the OVAs shouldn't be able to change your enjoyment of the TV series. Skipping excellent entries like Roots of Ambition and The Last Red Shoulder is foolish.

At the very least, watch all of the 80s OVAs which Takahashi made in his Votoms prime.
>>
>>15226624
>Not wanting to see more Chirico antics
Ignore the canon, enjoy the action.
Though you can ignore the phantom chapter.
It's mostly a homage to the first serie.
>>
I dropped the series like 2 years ago mid junkyard world arc when the series seemed to not be going anywhere, should I pick it back up?
>>
>>15226945
The first chapters??

If my memorie doesn't fail me is junkyard>civil war in a jungle >a spaceship with pstd triggering music > the homeplanet of a somewhat important character > Chirico vs the world.
>>
>>15226970
Yea, they had just done some vault heist when I dropped it, idk like episode 8 or 9
>>
>>15227005
Is a slow start, i give you that.
I think until the 13-14, were that arc ends. If the 2nd one doesn't catch your eye, then drop it forever.

I love Votoms, but i have my reasons to do it, like you have yours to no like it.
>>
>>15221176
Why don't you tell him?
>>
>>15211497
Nothing on /m/ is
>>
>>15216812

Votoms is clearly made up as it goes. There's two completely different storylines. The story of the Perfect Soldiers, and then the story of Wiseman and the ancient civilization. They could really be two tv shows.
>>
>>15229035
No, it's a single storyline because PS are made to serve as Wiseman army since the Overmen race have disappeared.
>>
File: Ecrevisse CHARGE.png (827KB, 802x595px) Image search: [Google]
Ecrevisse CHARGE.png
827KB, 802x595px
>>
>>15221524
No, they're not; the whole point is that AT pilots don't matter; ATs are like surplus jeeps, they're basic standard equipment, disposable, discarded, used en masse and everywhere. They're junk that's used on the sharp edges to keep infantry alive a second longer.
>>
>>15221899
Someone sounds mad about /pol/.
>>
>>15211574

>Prepared to be disapointed by LOGH as well if you see it. Similar story.

Says someone who's never actually watched it.

LOGH is objectively the greatest anime, if not the greatest work of animation period, ever created.
>>
>>15232261
>objectively the greatest
>doesn't even have any fucking robots in it
>>
>>15211598
I've gotten 20 episodes into LOGH twice. I was pretty gutted. Felt like the politics and tactics were both extremely basic.

Really enjoyed VOTOMS though. Taste is a funny thing.
>>
having just finished the TV series I have to agree it wasn't as good as people said it was.

my main gripe is how they just completely abandoned ypsilon's character, that's where I found the series to fall very weak on the last arc.
>>
>>15236814
he's autistic what else do you need to know
>>
>>15232268

Robots are for children.
>>
>>15237756
And the point of you saying this on /m/ is?
>>
>>15236814

What character? All he does is want to fight Chirico, lust over Fyana, and scream PERFEKTO SOULDJAH.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.