[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghost in the Shell/GitS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 51

File: GitS trailer 2.png (454KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
GitS trailer 2.png
454KB, 1366x768px
New trailer out. Why does the plot seem to get worse and worse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEDctELIm3I
>>
>>15203713
Wait so

In this one

The Major rebels against Section 9 because "muh corrupt gubmint"?

Brilliant Hollywood, just brilliant, never seen that plot before
>>
>>15203713
>implying I ever had faith in the plot to begin with
Just go in expecting some stylish action scenes and nothing else. It's healthier that way.
>>
I'm just baffled as to why they gave the villain a text-to-speech voice.
>>
>>15203713
>>15203724
>>implying I ever had faith in the plot to begin with
>Just go in expecting some stylish action scenes and nothing else. It's healthier that way.

I mean hey it worked for Arise lol
>>
>>15203723
she does that all the time, though

this is nothing new for the character
>>
can we just stop talking about this altogether?
>>
>>15203713

In terms of anime adaptations the visual style and design is great. I love Batou's combat gear, the cars, etc.

It doesn't look like a slam-dunk but lets be real GitS changes the story with every iteration. I feel like the worst thing about the movie will be Scarjo's acting.
>>
>>15203835

>I feel like the worst thing about the movie will be Scarjo's acting.

She's best when she's playing autistic robots though, if Under The Skin and Lucy were anything to go by.

Though you'd think with all those hundreds of millions of dollars in the budget they could shave a little more off of it and give her a wig not made out of damp doll hair.. Howe did that thing pass the first rounds of hair/makeup?
>>
>>15203713
Did... did they just make it into another Robocop remake????
>>
>>15203894
I'd forgotten about the Robocop remake. Remembering it now, I think we can all agree the only redeeming feature was Samuel L Jackson having his own show on not-Fox. I don't think the GitS will even have that going for it.
>>
>Arise's red pantsuit
Gross
>>
>>15203713
Had they not put the 1995 movie on the high pedestal, this might had still looked cheesy and campy.
I wonder if it was all just a ploy to sell the movie.
>>
>>15204149
The other redeeming feature was that scene where he sees how much of his body was left. Other than that it was bland as fuck. GITS will likely be bland as fuck as well minus a cool scene or two.
>>
File: 1480972297800.jpg (153KB, 589x669px) Image search: [Google]
1480972297800.jpg
153KB, 589x669px
The problem with the movie is pretty clear now.

GitS was never about Major. She was never the most important part of the plot, there was always something more important happening around her. Even in 2nd SAC when Kuze was there, it was just to expand on the events happening in that migrant camp.

They let the actor get bigger than the movie, just like all those fucking superhero movies.
>>
>>15204330
Oh you've seen the movie already? How was it?
>>
>>15203713
I still can't get over how ugly all the women are. Isn't the Major supposed to be really hot? What the fuck is she so ugly for, then? Not to mention that ugly ass black chick...
>>
>>15204953
Hollywood producers don`t understand transcendent,inhuman beauty. They did the exact same thing to Melisandre.
>>
WFT is wrong with you geeks?

Movie is going to be clearly awesome - cant you just enjoy things?
>>
>>15205131
hollywood adaptation = abomination
>>
>>15205131
they have to defend the honor of their waifu
>>
File: 61ebSKHX0iL.jpg (70KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
61ebSKHX0iL.jpg
70KB, 336x500px
is kodansha going to keep the new deluxe editions censored? i've seen it spun both ways...
>>
>>15205131
Anime doesn't usually translate well into live action
>>
>>15205131
>cant you just enjoy things?

I'd like to, but these people keep throwing garbage at me.
>>
>>15205131
>WHAT FUCK THE is wrong with you geeks
retard casual from /tv/ confirmed
>>
>>15203724
>supporting this movie

why
>>
File: 1479435004146.jpg (28KB, 284x306px) Image search: [Google]
1479435004146.jpg
28KB, 284x306px
>>15203713
Who gives a flying fuck about the Major's past?

I don't give a shit about some fucking robocop rip off. I care about floofy hair, robo lesbians, basset hounds mixed with philosophical wank
>>
I always thought of the Major as a confident, slightly sassy woman.

What is this deadpan voice and identity crisis? Did her ghost stop talking to her?
>>
>>15207005
you see, she has to be deadpan or else movie goers will forget shes a robot
>>
>>15207005
That's the manga and some parts of SAC. This movie is copying Oshii's, so Motoko is a robot worrying about her existence.
>>
>>15207277
Oshii forever runied Shirow's run of mill manga.
>>
>>15205203

wrong, im from /b/
>>
>>15205142

why not judge it AFTER seeing the movie?

(and trying to take it as it is, because it is actually manga adaptation if you look at the source)
>>
>>15207369
>manga adaption
Except it's only adapting the 95 movie, with elements from SAC
>>
>>15207392

Well the movie is probably the most well known material outside of Japan.
>>
>>15207397
SAC is more widely known. Unless you're in certain countries or have been in a coma for 20 years.
>>
>>15207413
Which is probably why they're doing scenes from it. Maybe they're lazy fucks who think rehashing older, lesser-known-to-casuals material is pretty much the same as new material.
>>
>>15207369
>be a good goy and pay first, judge later!
no, thanks
>>
>>15203713
They kinda had a plot announced already.

But then again, this movie went through so many plot changes over it's history that I'm not sure it's right.
>>
>>15203723
execution > originality
>>
Honestly the tank fight from the original movie is probably one of the most memorable parts of the series. I can't wait to see how they butcher it with "EP1C" slow motion and jump cuts
>>
>>15204917
Dude we don't even need to predict that shit. It's almost a requirement anymore that an action movie is all about the actor in amerigun films. If you don't people complain, like Suicide Squad and Joker.
>>
Fuck the live action movie.
I haven't watched the original movie in forever and haven't watched the TV show ever. What order do I watch these in? Movie first then TV show? Is there anything else I should know?
>>
>>15207392

i can see that, I meant that it was manga originally, then adapted to anime, then all kind of crazy shit started=)

(BTW is not /m/ offended to be clear to post only when you are confirmed you are NOT A ROBOT by reCAPTCHA?!!=))
>>
>>15207421

I hope 5 bucks to see a movie wont make you bankrupt...
>>
>>15207458
I'd just go for the original movie and Stand Alone Complex series. There's been so many relaunches it runs together (with a lot of repeated motifs). So you have Ghost in the Shell (90's movies), Stand Alone Complex (00's shows and movies), and Arise (mini-ish series). If you liked the original and SAC probably go to Arise. Side movies are pretty forgettable.
>>
File: smoltoko.png (187KB, 409x487px) Image search: [Google]
smoltoko.png
187KB, 409x487px
>>15205275
Hey
If you're gonna give her the "holy shit am I real person or robot"? dilemma, and ask her to fuse with a memebot who might erase her personality, you SHOULD give her a backstory.

You know, so that she ACTUALLY has memories whose reality she can question, and A LIFE she might throw away if given the opportunity to.

Something to give the philosophical wank some dramatic weight. To make stuff matter instead of just letting it happen.

Unlike in Oshii's movie.

But let's not kid ourselves, there's no way any of the shit that happens to Scarjotoko is gonna matter either way.
>>
>>15207337
>Oshii forever runied Shirow's run of mill manga

On the contrary. Oshii saved Ghost in the Shell. At least the first film did. The others not so much. But let's be real here : Shirow's Ghost in the shell manga is best left in the dustbin of the eighties/90s. Nothing of value was lost and it wasn't even Shirow's best work. Manga major is a parody character. The best thing is to forget she ever was.
>>
File: 1.jpg (25KB, 610x305px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25KB, 610x305px
>>15204161
The outfit is fine. It's the Majors hair that's not.

Seriously, 75%+ of the people that dislike Arise are definitely waifushitters. About 10% are probably Floof cultists, and I can sympathize with them.
>>
>>15207665
>I hope 5 bucks to see a movie wont make you bankrupt...

5 bucks for a movie ? Ha ha ha ha did you come out of the eighties ? It's more like 15-20 fucking dollars these days.
>>
>>15207990
What if the plot swerves deep into PKD acid trip mindfuck land at some point?
>>
As long as there's a 10 minute conversation on a boat where they spew entry level philosophy, I'll be happy.
>>
>>15208011
it turns out this was all a cyberdelusion by SAC Major getting hacked
>>
>>15208012
that's terrible

at least don't pay for it
>>
>>15208006
I couldn't really get over Arise Major's hair and I don't give into waifu bullshit.

>>15208007
Matinees are still a thing
>>
>>15208004
Do you purposefully try to be wrong at every turn?

Manga Motoko might be a bit caricatural but Oshii's Motoko is fucking nothing. And the people behind the live-action perfectly understood that. They perfectly understood that the protagonist doesn't have to be interesting for the movie to be successful.
>>
>>15208004
Manga Motoko's character design and edgy silliness are the best things to come out of the franchise and it was precisely what Oshii threw away.

He ruined Shirow's manga and that's a fucking achievement considering how uneven and clunky it was, an considering how well-crafted his movie is.
>>
>>15208020
at any rate, don't support it, just pay for another movie and sneak into the theater that's playing GitS if you really need to see it
you might even get a better deal that way
>>
>>15208028
>Manga Motoko's character design and edgy silliness are the best things to come out of the franchise and it was precisely what Oshii threw away. He ruined Shirow's manga and that's a fucking achievement considering how uneven and clunky it was, an considering how well-crafted his movie is.

Do people understand that SAC Major is basicaly lifted out of Oshii's film and has nothing to do with the character that was portrayed in Shirow's manga. I get it, I really do, people are in love with the eighties and so they can't see straight anymore. But seriously, there is an enormous gap between Shirow's Major and how the Major was portrayed in SAC. Guess which is the better character ? Hint : It ain't floofy head.
>>
File: aeon_flux_ver4.jpg (93KB, 510x755px) Image search: [Google]
aeon_flux_ver4.jpg
93KB, 510x755px
Hey that new Aeon Flux movie is looking pretty good
too bad Charlize Theron didn't age well
<= poster of the first movie for comparison
>>
>>15208042
I don't disagree with that.
That's precisely why Oshii ruined Motoko: even the series, which are closer in tone to the manga, was brought down by a version of Motoko that was lifted straight from the movie.

and now people only remember the boring Motoko.
>>
File: ultraviolet.jpg (95KB, 504x755px) Image search: [Google]
ultraviolet.jpg
95KB, 504x755px
Hey that new Ultraviolet movie is looking pretty good
too bad Milla Jovovich didn't age well
>>
>>15205131
"WFT is wrong with you geeks? Just enjoy eating my shit."

- SIGNED BIG NAME HOLLYWOOD PRODUCER
>>
>>15208049
Yeah?

Well he also made her a character worthy of a Hollywood adaptation and cash-grab.

Manga Motoko is off stroking horse cocks. Oshii Motoko is queen.
>>
File: underworld_awakening_ver2.jpg (109KB, 509x755px) Image search: [Google]
underworld_awakening_ver2.jpg
109KB, 509x755px
Hey that new Underworld movie is looking pretty good
too bad Kate Beckinsale didn't age well
<= poster of a previous movie for comparison
>>
>>15208007

im from Russia, was just an assumption

actually it is aslo about 15 here (after conversion)
>>
Hey that new Resident Evil movie is looking pretty good
too bad Milla Jovovich didn't age well
<= poster of a previous movie for comparison
>>
>>15208069
>Kate Beckinsale didn't age well
HOLD THE FUCK UP! Get to an optometrist ASAP.
>>
File: elektra_ver4.jpg (35KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
elektra_ver4.jpg
35KB, 267x400px
Hey that new Elektra movie is looking pretty good
too bad Jennifer Garner didn't age well
>>
>>15208042
SAC Major is an amalgam of the '95 movie and manga versions.
>>
>>15208090
not an optimal one.
>>
>tfw Iron Savior will never do the OST
>>
>>15208090
>SAC Major is an amalgam of the '95 movie and manga versions.

SAC Major is all work and full of existential questions. That's 99.99% Oshii and 0.01% Shirow. But yes in a general sense you're right, SAC Major is an amalgam of the two characters. We just have to be precise in assigning the relative weight of each contribution.
>>
I'm reading the manga currently so I can watch SAC and Innocence then shit on the live action version, got to the chapter where Motoko gets broadcast on TV blowing a guys head off.

Did Shirow really make an entire chapter about how the public and legal system is ignorant and Section 9 dindu nuffin when they're clearly in the wrong and fucked up?

>Get anonymous tip that some boat is filled with terrorists
>Instead of getting a shooting the boats engine and getting a ton of SWAT in landmates to demand they throw away their guns and submit to arrest, lets send cyborg detectives to Metal Gear Solid their way onto the boat, that's sure to end well!
>Only send two cyborgs, don't equip them with body armor or octocamo that could prevent the situation from escalating so the criminals can be captured, interrogated, and imprisoned.
>Motoko literally just walks up to a dude sitting in a chair and kills him, no threats, no subduing him with cyborg super strength or some dumb future gadget, just shoots an unsuspecting guy in the head before spending the rest of the chapter saying "I WAS SO SCARED FOR MY LIFE IT WAS ME OR HIM I WAS GONNA GET SHOT I HAD TO DO IT!"
>Bato just runs into the interior of the boat guns blazing, not even giving a fuck about stealth, murders some other dude
>Motoko slowly climbs up ladder without using octocamo, gets seen by some dude, he pulls a gun and instead of jumping off the ladder using le cyborg super strength immediately and tackling him from behind she sits there for a full second as he starts to aim at her then blows his brains out
>She'd have probably survived getting shot anyways because I can't imagine cyberbrains not being armored
>At this point they still don't even know who the fuck these people are or why they're there

After this amazing display of incompetence The rest of the chapter tries to make Section 9 look innocent, as they break multiple laws.

His artwork and sci-fi concepts are good but shirow is such a retarded writer.
>>
The ideal Motoko would be fun, genki, cute and sexy but very cynical and critical like in the manga, emotionally vulnerable and anxious like in the movie, and she'd have a full (but maybe fake) backstory like in SAC and would actually care about her friends and teammates.

That way she'd have good reasons to be full of existential questions, and the answers would actually have an impact on her life.
>>
File: 60157400_p0.png (310KB, 635x903px) Image search: [Google]
60157400_p0.png
310KB, 635x903px
>>15208116
Dude Motoko is portrayed as mentally disturbed throughout the entirety of the chapter.

Of course she fucked up.
>spending the rest of the chapter saying "I WAS SO SCARED FOR MY LIFE IT WAS ME OR HIM I WAS GONNA GET SHOT I HAD TO DO IT!"
AND THEN in court she actually brags about shooting him several times at point blank before he could do anything, and goes on to say that human life has no value.

Batou also points out to her that she sounds like she's got self-destructive tendencies.

Shirow has always been anti-pacifist so it's fair to assume that he's on her side, but she sure as hell isn't presented as innocent.

What everyone is pissed about, is the fact that the Israeli are using this as an opportunity to fuck with S9 and Japan's diplomatic relationships. She's being court-martialed in the name of human rights but in reality the trial is just an occasion to further Israel's plans.
And because of that, Motoko is gonna get executed, of course she's pissed.

Also she might be under the puppetmaster's influence throughout some of it, so there's always that.
>>
>>15208116
>His artwork and sci-fi concepts are good but shirow is such a retarded writer.

It really depends on his mangas.

GitS is clearly not his best.
>>
>>15208087
>>15208078
>>15208069
>>15208052
>>15208044
are these all the same movies?
>>
>>15208148
Yes they are (although Underworld is a little above the rest).

You forgot to also link to OP.
>>
>>15208102
You really don't know much about japanese cyberpunk, huh? All '95 did was add the classic jap-cyberpunk trope of stories about (ex)cyborg sex workers and injected it within its protagonist.
If anything, he probably also added that aspect because of Molly Millions (just like memetic polycarbon suit '95 lifted off her as well). It's no secret the manga was heavily inspired by Neuromancer.
As far as SAC Makoto... you must be watching the compilation movies if you think her personally is blank as '95, though I guess we all edit out the comedy relief bs like becoming SD for a second, etc.
>>
File: vqmcvu94.jpg (106KB, 500x645px) Image search: [Google]
vqmcvu94.jpg
106KB, 500x645px
>>15208148
where the fuck is blood rayne?
>>
>>15208160
I wonder if the movie's iconic scrolling green text (which The Matrix then took and probably won't be in the we're-fetishistically-remaking-the-oshii-movie-in-live-action movie because the audience will see it as dated, being familiar with The Matrix but probably not GitS itself) was inspired by the part near the end of Neuromancer where iirc Case takes some crazy drugs and starts seeing numbers crawling all over the place.

Could be a coincidence but Neuromancer is the font from which all cyberpunk owes its existence.
>>
>>15208102
>SAC Major is all work and full of existential questions. That's 99.99% Oshii and 0.01% Shirow.
>existential questions
You need to rewatch the movie, they literally tell you later that it was never her voice asking the questions.
>>
>>15208174
*fount
>>
>>15208182
Yes thank you.

Probably a passel of grammar issues too.
>>
>>15208174
I think it's the inspiration to that part (or any part) where Neo became the One and could see the code of the matrix while jacked in.
Hmm... I thought it was shit-CGI adding "2.0" version that did the matrix scroll, though I could be mistaken.
>>
>>15208189
All I can remember at this point is both GitS and The Matrix's title/credits had the matrix scroll.
>>
>>15208174
Oh also, yeah he was on that beny...something-something derm disc, but he saw the symbols because the ICE breaker was fucking up Neuromancer's hold on Case... Unless it happened earlier too, but that's still Neuro fucking with him.
>>
File: tumblr_ofc6kiTYQ61qauhyqo2_540.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ofc6kiTYQ61qauhyqo2_540.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>15203713
>>15208148
>>15208164
>>15208151
EARLY 2000s INEXPRESSIVE MALLGOTH LATEX BULLET TIME ACTION GIRL SHLOCK IS BACK, BABY!!!!!

DUST OFF YOUR COOL SUNGLASSES AND FAUX-LEATHER TRENCHCOATS
>>
>>15203713
I want to quite literally make the actual Section 9 go after me with the horrible mass shooting and one-man terror spree I`ll unleash on all of these talentless hacks. I`m not even fucking kidding.
>>
>>15208222
which actual section 9?
the one from the manga? the movie? the series? the ovas?
>>
File: recliningtoko.jpg (42KB, 960x880px) Image search: [Google]
recliningtoko.jpg
42KB, 960x880px
>>15208235
If I have to actually choose which team of hypercompetent cyborg ex-military operatives I get apprehended/shot to death by after I do a series of bombings and shootings all across California,It`ll probably be the one from SAC. Seeing as SACtoko best toko.
>>
File: 1 major.png (174KB, 274x348px) Image search: [Google]
1 major.png
174KB, 274x348px
>>15208246
>SACtoko best toko
huh you sure about that, buddy?
>>
File: staretoko.jpg (62KB, 960x952px) Image search: [Google]
staretoko.jpg
62KB, 960x952px
>>15208252
Quite.
>>
So real talk, GitS-LIVE managed to land on my dad's short list of films that have caught his eye.

How do I parley this opportunity to help him get better taste in fiction? He has the weirdest fascination with pretentious LOLDEEP stuff, and while I'm not exactly any better about it with my own tastes he takes it to a whole new level in his need to have MEANING and DEPTH in his fiction.

Do I just throw him the Oshi catalog and challenge him to explain the meaning behind Sky Crawlers?
>>
>>15208263
yeah do that.
that's pretty much guaranteed to raise his standards if he takes D E E P shit seriously

and don't forget to make him watch Stalker next. That way he'll understand why the 95 movie is so cool and why there's no way the live action one will live up to it.
>>
File: chibitoko.jpg (57KB, 152x180px) Image search: [Google]
chibitoko.jpg
57KB, 152x180px
>>15208256
what an ugly figure.
There's no way she's on the same level as mangatoko.
>>
>>15208263
Grin and bear it?

I feel the same way as when my dad and his girlfriend were like "oh this anime movie Ghost in the Shell looks really cool we should watch it" back in the day.

Use it as an entry point/excuse to introduce a GitS you like better to him? "Oh yeah there was a comic/tv show/etc back in the day that I really liked so you should check it out after"?
>>
>>15208273
Except that she is.
>>
>>15208288
pussy
>>
>>15208252
>huh you sure about that, buddy?

Yep, manga Motoko looks like a boy with giant breasts. Yuk. Even Deunan is sexier than manga Motoko.
>>
File: eeehtoko.jpg (34KB, 136x139px) Image search: [Google]
eeehtoko.jpg
34KB, 136x139px
>>15208290
ha!
as if!
>>
File: IMG_2208.jpg (24KB, 379x251px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2208.jpg
24KB, 379x251px
>>15208290
Mmmmmmmmm
>>
File: whutoko.jpg (33KB, 118x146px) Image search: [Google]
whutoko.jpg
33KB, 118x146px
>>15208297
do you live in bimboland where boys look like female models?
>>
>>15208288
I'm usually weary about challenging him on it because he's both an S-Rank master troll and he's real good at being a pedantic shit in a debate.

Worst case scenario I can pull the anime film version out of my ass and get him good next time he rants about how creatively bankrupt Hollywood is, but knowing him he probably already knows how creatively bankrupt ScarJoShell is and is still going to check it out just to bait me into his troll wizardry.
>>
>>15208306
your dad's a piece of shit m8
>>
>>15208263
>>15208288
I have the opposite problem of that anon, my sister is probably gonna see the live action version and she's a normie retard who only watches superhero movies and romantic commedies, how do I convince her to watch the '95 movie that's clearly for kids because cartoon?

How do I make her not have shit taste?
>>
File: tumblr_ognuw4JKFn1skh3mso1_1280.jpg (394KB, 1072x1500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ognuw4JKFn1skh3mso1_1280.jpg
394KB, 1072x1500px
>>15208151
>>15208164
>>15208211
As a scarjo fan from lost in translation, I'd like to see more of her white suit. Maybe like pic related.
>>
>>15208334
Honest question: how can you stand her face?
>>
File: disgustoko.jpg (82KB, 216x535px) Image search: [Google]
disgustoko.jpg
82KB, 216x535px
>>15208334
>>
>>15208334
God the pattern all over that looks so fucking shit, why couldn't they go with the simple suit from the Oshii movie?

Why does Hollywood have to overdesign every little thing?

And why is it white? The original just looked like completely transparent plastic that was shinier than her bare skin, a shiny suit would be hotter.
>>
>>15208327
you don't

instead you convince her to watch these
>>15208087
>>15208078
>>15208069
>>15208052
>>15208044

or maybe you show her some of Innocence's most boring and DEEP scenes and you tell her that the new movie's gonna be like that.
>>
>>15208345
I dunno, I thought she was really pretty in lost in translation.
also nicer butt back then
I DONT KNOW MAN
>>
>>15208356
the original did look kinda white.

But anyway now it's whiter because you gotta make sure she doesn't look like she's naked in case soccer moms catch a glimpse of the trailer.

and also because white=spooky=ghost? Or maybe because white=good=superhero?
>>
>>15208356
>shiny suit
I wholeheartedly agree. Good taste my man, too bad it'd cross over into the territory of being too revealing? She aint no spring chicken anymore.
>>
>>15208358
yeah she was ok back then. But she was like in her early-ass 20s.
>>
>>15208363
maybe thats why I find black widow first avenger movie ver. so great. Youthful hairstyle. Also best widow suit design.
>>
>>15208361
>>15208356

A matte white suit is easier to CGI, and the seam lines make it look a little less like CGI. If it's too featureless the fakeness is too obvious.

That way they don't have to show what her REAL body looks like (or shoot too many action scenes), they can just adjust it as much as they want in post-production.
>>
>>15208367
meh.
She looked less good than the other latex bullet time female protagonists even back then.
>>
>>15208367
Widow looks cute when they keep her shorthaired, she looks like an old hag in Winter Soldier.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 640x360px
>>15208360
>the original did look kinda white.

If anything it was darker than her skin.

>>15208357
She's already seen literally all of those, she loves that shit.
>>
>>15208383
at least get her to avoid spending money on it.
>>
>>15208382
>hag in winter soldier
my god my gf said the same thing.
Something something about that girl tried to do her hair all different but IT AINT WORKIN' GUUURRRRRL
secretly I agreed while pretending to not have noticed her hair at all
>>
>>15208334
>>15208397
The faces in both version look so shit why is that artist so terrible
>>
File: neo-choix.jpg (15KB, 270x245px) Image search: [Google]
neo-choix.jpg
15KB, 270x245px
What stuns me is all the people who say "WHOA A NEW CYBERPUNK MOVIE! WE HAVEN'T HAD ONE OF THOSE SINCE THE 80s!"

It's wrong on so many levels and wouldn't justify their enthusiasm even if it were true.

Did they all forget about the robocop and total recall remakes? About Neil Blonkamp's movies? About Transcendence and Her and Ex Machina?

And most importantly don't they realize that this is NOT an 80s-inspired cyberpunk movie?
It's an early 2000s matrix-inspired action schlockfest. Did they sleep on the fucking Matrix, on Blade and on all the ripoffs that those movies spawned?

Are they all bluepills or something?
>>
>>15208421
I think the artist is p. gud especially the heather pics he's done in the same style. I think the motoko version is slightly bad not in the sense of the artist's technical skill but translating anime faces to something realistic can sometimes end up weird. Scarjo's face is KINDA close.
>>
>>15208421
On the contrary he's very talented, he managed to perfectly capture her beauty in its purest state.
>>
>>15208433
>>15208435
The SAC version looks like a 50 year old woman and the scarjo version looks like a reptilian from the uncanny valley.
>>
>>15208440
precisely.
>>
>>15208435
>>15208440
>>15208450
>>15208454
lol fuck you guys
>>
File: onitokobuthigherrestoko.jpg (92KB, 786x960px) Image search: [Google]
onitokobuthigherrestoko.jpg
92KB, 786x960px
>>15205155
How did you guess? I rounded up a bunch of HAC troops to ravage California to the ground,because of teh 'Toko.
>>
File: héhétoko.jpg (150KB, 286x285px) Image search: [Google]
héhétoko.jpg
150KB, 286x285px
>>15208895
Motoko is an unruly, honorless ronin who constantly displays her ignorance of the way of the samurai in the most shameful manner.

She must be stopped at once before her incompetence brings down the entirety of Japan!

But who can stop her? She's stronger than a bull, more daring than a tiger, more stubborn than a donkey, almost as clever as an oyster, ballsier than a tanuki and fluffier than a rabbit!
>>
>>15205131
Fuck off newfag. You probably don't even know that GiTS is an anime.
>>
File: image.jpg (913KB, 1235x1885px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
913KB, 1235x1885px
I am very confused
What the fuck
I can't tell if Shirow is an insane retard or an absolute genius who just spends most of his time drawing hentai
>>
>>15209036
Just read what's in the insane amounts of liner notes, he reads scientific research papers... for fun apparently. And loves to recommend them in the liner notes in his comic books.
>>
>>15209036
He's leaning more towards insane retard, honestly.

But he doesn't pull everything out of his ass. What he DOES pull out of his ass is the kind of wishy-washy interdisciplinary comparisons and pseudo-scientific mysticism that the end of GitS is filled with.

But that's just sci-fi for you.
>>
>>15208116

Same here. I got these questions:

1. Is Man-Machine Interface still worth reading?

2. While we have the Soviet Union surviving (Shirow wrote the manga back in 1989 and wasn't brought into the Anglosphere until 1995), where was it mentioned that the United States is divided up, with one division buddying up with the Soviet Union?
>>
>>15208966
>But who can stop her?
An earthquake.
>>
>>15209119
Man-Machine Interface is not worth reading

the US being divided is something from SAC which I think was lifted from Appleseed.
>>
File: hmph.jpg (98KB, 193x421px) Image search: [Google]
hmph.jpg
98KB, 193x421px
>>15209132
not cool, bro
>>
>>15205275
Floofyyyy
>>
File: still floofy.jpg (70KB, 171x333px) Image search: [Google]
still floofy.jpg
70KB, 171x333px
>>15209147
even in cyberspace
>>
>>15208020
Matinees are still like 9 bucks. No major theater chain does 5 dollar tickets these days. Smaller, independent theaters might, but good luck at Regal, AMC, or Cinemark.
>>
>>15209135

>>Man-Machine Interface is not worth reading

Fair enough. I'll go straight to the first Oshii film, but which version do I watch first? Original or 2.0, given that the former had Iemasa Kayumi as the Puppet Master, wherein Yoshiko Sakakibara replaced him for 2.0.

>>the US being divided is something from SAC which I think was lifted from Appleseed.

Thanks
>>
>>15205131
Normies are literally cretins that deserve death. The normie effect is literally the reason why the rich oppressed the poor in the past They knew letting the rabble get into their fine interests would result in the dumbing down of art and culture.

The only difference now is that everyone in the west is so affluent that anyone can have a super-niche interest but the downside is that normies can no longer be suppressed and they ruin literally anything they can get their hands on.

Point is, normies should eat shit, get e coli, and die.
>>
>>15209082
You've gotta look at it through the proper lense of context. You can tell by the sources he cites that he's getting that shit from research papers that're just at the theory phase at that time.
Sure, NOW we can tell some of that shit is bizarre bs, but back then everyone seemingly thought it all could be legit.
>>
>>15209150
Warren does 5 dollar tickets. It's a small chain but it has all the trappings of a global juggernaut. Ten times better too
>>
>>15209233
Not even Motoko thinks all of it is legit.
I'm pretty sure the reason most people weren't too critical of Shirow's nonsense back then is because there simply wasn't anything like it on the comic book market yet (at least not to the point where his readers would know about it) and Man-Machine Interface wasn't out yet, so Shirow still had a lot of credibility.

Shirow himself is very aware that some of what he says is a bunch of asspulls, as evidenced by some of his remarks in the side-notes (and the characters' dialog). He only gets adamant about his points when they're about politics and social issues.
>>
>>15209210
if you prefer the Puppetmaster to be creepy, watch the original.

If you REALLY want the Puppetmaster to be a girl like in the manga, and don't give a shit about everything being uglier and full of CG nonsense, you can watch 2.0.

Basically, just watch the original first
>>
>>15209269
You're still heavily implying he made the shit up even though he cites the papers he got the stuff from, which at the time were considered legit, if not purely theoretical.
>>
So if this does well, will we be getting some other Shirow mangas done in live action?
>>
>>15209344
the individual bits aren't asspulls, but the way he links them together is.
>>
>>15208029
Eh, I would have dragged my feet to see this anyway. Unless it gets some interesting mixed reviews, I'll probably wait to see it hit rentals.
>>
>>15209359
Of course!

Orion, starring Michelle Rodriguez with a silly wig as Seska, and Michael Fassbender with a silly wig as Susanoo.
>>
>>15209380
Appleseed about a chubby comedic new police officer in the future city of Olympus with a new partner, the cyborg wise cracking Bri! They've got to come and work together and beat the drug kingpin Nike who wants to take down their society!
>>
File: mikey.jpg (51KB, 398x380px) Image search: [Google]
mikey.jpg
51KB, 398x380px
>>15209359
Dominion Tank Police!
Starring Mila Kunis as Leona Ozaki and Margot Robbie as the Puma twins!
A thrilling plot recycled from the early drafts of Mission Impossible 3!
Lots of action, splosions and greenscreens!
And even up to 15 minutes of screentime for Bonaparte, faithfully re-designed by the designers behind Transformers: Dark of the Moon, with the artistic guidance of Masamune Shirow's rotting corpse!
>>
>>15209399
Eh I'd watch it.

I wouldn't pay for it but I could go for a comedic adaptation.

Oh wait
[endless] nowadays action comedies are mostly about epic nerd culture references, poop jokes and snarky sarcastic snide quips [/trash]
>>
File: tumblr_ojaiyz4nRh1vbgt7yo1_1280.png (513KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojaiyz4nRh1vbgt7yo1_1280.png
513KB, 640x480px
>>15209410
>>
>>15209399
Briareos, of course, has a fully human face, because the actor didn't sign in to play in their shitty chinese cartoon adaptation for them to hide his bankable face behind seven inches of prosthetic makeup.
>>
>>15209435
Oh yeah. Played by the Rock, maybe?
>>
>>15209440
No that sounds too good.

Played by Omar Sy, who's still trying to leave his comedic career behind him and won't allow himself to use his distinctive laugh or to act like he would on stage.
>>
>>15208431
A lot of movies use cyberpunk to draw settings than actual plot. It further conflates with general near-future scifi. So really out of everything you mentioned, Blade is the only one that falls short. But that segways into the genre bleeding I'm thinking about. High end stage fighting used to a genre all it's own, with old martial arts films and Hong Kong wire works. Now every damn movie has stage fighting. Criminal thrillers now come in several forms based on if there is stage fighting, car chases and/explosions. The Matrix is a cyberpunk movie, but genre mixed with Hong Kong wireworks. It suceeded at inspiring more action movies than cyberpunk. The movie itself encouraged this when it's own plot bent over backwards as an excuse for fighting. Her and Deus Ex Machina are hopfully a concentrated kernel of inspiration and success for some better cyberpunk movies over the next 4/5 years.
>>
>>15209451
>A lot of movies use cyberpunk to draw settings than actual plot. It further conflates with general near-future scifi.
And there's nothing wrong with that, I wouldn't want a GitS movie directed in the same style as Her and Ex Machina just because they tackle cyberpunk themes more seriously than Resident Evil did.

The massive genre-mixing that The Matrix introduced, however, did turn out to have bad consequences, because now an action movie is expected to have EVERYTHING The Matrix had in it PLUS the speedup-slowdown and hyper-contrast of 300, PLUS the booming sound design of Transformers, PLUS the over-detailed costumes of Avengers, PLUS the glowing neon accesories of Tron:Legacy...

So now the originality of some of the stuff that helped The Matrix and Blade stand out from previous action movies has been normalized drowned out in a sea of influences, and every action movie feels the same again because they all adhere to the same formula.

Stylistic purity is important. I'm not a proponent of "less is more" but there's stuff you have to avoid putting in a movie to make it have an identity.
>>
>>15209482
>And there's nothing wrong with that
Yeah I'd agree; I was more highlighting a bit of where cyberpunk had gone. And you said it yourself,
>has been normalized drowned out in a sea of influences
Cyberpunk is a very young genre and is fairly sparsely populated with pure examples in film. The director of Children of Men had a good design philosphy when he made his dystopian near future, something to the effect of "I wanted the world to look like the future had come and got dirty and used. Like Mexico City (his home)." Cyberpunk has had great success in being a maliable and digestable vision of the future. But a true cyberpunk style movie down to the story, is a bit few and far between. In many ways we're closing in on worlds depicted before, and previous scifi elements are now platitudes of daily shows and movies.

>there's stuff you have to avoid putting in a movie to make it have an identity
Aaaand that's exactly where this new GitS is all but witnessed to know it's missed the point. Maybe it's just a bad preview cut? Previews totally never give movies away.
>>
>>15208966
So you`re telling me,that defending her honor is pointless,because she has none?
>>
>>15208440
>the scarjo version looks like a reptilian from the uncanny valley.

She's jewish.
>>
>>15209276

>>If you REALLY want the Puppetmaster to be a girl like in the manga

Where was that stated in the manga?
>>
>>15210235
well she's got girl feet
>>
File: 1487117727113.jpg (34KB, 800x296px) Image search: [Google]
1487117727113.jpg
34KB, 800x296px
>>15208300
Borma, is that you?
>>
>>15210235
It wasn't, but the only times 2501 is called "he" is in the translation (Japanese is more gender-neutral), by the guys from Section 5 who are trying to cover up the whole thing (and the guys from S9 who don't know any better); as for 2501, we aren't given the "it's to facilitate the fusion" explanation from the movie as to why she picked a female body so it's entirely possible that she did so because it fit her gender; we do see her foot in cyberspace when Motoko hacks into her and it's quite obviously a female foot, and once they've fused and got transferred into a man's body (because Batou couldn't tell it was one), Motoko-2501 is surprised by this and comments upon how it feels weird to walk with a dick between your legs.

So it's more that there's no solid reason to assume that 2501 isn't a girl. Making her a dude was Oshii's stylistic choice.
>>
>>15210351
yes
we wuz ninjaz n shiet
>>
>>15210362
and visibly it wasn't a choice he was too adamant about since he let his new girlfriend play that role in 2.0.
>>
>>15210351
>when you accidentally hit invert on the head palette
>>
>>15203713
I just can't stand her voice.

Movie looks like shit, should they reveal the plot twist in the trailer?
>>
>>15210598
You should know by now that if a movie spoils a plot twist in the trailer, it's masking an even worse twist in the movie.
>>
>>15210377

>>he was too adamant about since he let his new girlfriend play that role in 2.0.

Wait, Oshii and Sakakibara are dating?
>>
>>15210770
that's what I heard.

>>15210130
Of course.

Unless someone managed to reprogram her into a pure marriage-worthy princess, but that'd take insane hacker skillz
>>
>>15208095
MEGATROPOLIS I HAVE RETURNED.
>>
>>15210775

>>that's what I heard.

I see. Thanks.

Another thing about differentiating the manga with the animated adaptations: If the US being split into three is for SAC, then where did the mention of an "Ameri-Soviet Alliance" come from?
>>
>>15210849
huh I don't remember that bit.
>>
>>15203723
No, Section 9 isn't even a government entity in the movie. They're goons for a cybernetics company.
>>
>>15208192
It wasn't a 'matrix scroll' for the GitS opening credits, it was the name of the person on-screen in binary. It's green text but it looks a lot different to digital rain.
>>
>>15203724
>Just go in expecting some stylish action scenes and nothing else.

Why would I bother when all the stylish action scenes appear to poorly done remakes of stuff from the 90's anime film? If I just wanted the visuals I can already get them right now from a film that's over two decades old.

No, I don't think I'll be seeing this for any reason.
>>
>>15212752
Holy shit it's exactly as predicted in a previous thread
>>
>>15212798
It was mentioned in one of the early leaks or press documents or something.
>>
File: tomliand.png (896KB, 750x670px) Image search: [Google]
tomliand.png
896KB, 750x670px
>>15212803
Didn't it also say that this company was Hanka Precision Instruments, the one that built the tomliand sexbots out of teenage girls' copied memories in the manga?

If so I expect Major (cause that's her name apparently) to go rogue because laughing man shows her this shocking truth in a completely unpredictable plot twist, and then she must rescue all the little girls from evil pedophile corporation and at the end she's very disturbed because she realizes maybe she's a robot with fake memories too and it's very mindblowing for the audience who haven't seen Blade Runner or seen the movie or read the manga.
>>
>>15212833
So it's becomes Innocence?
>>
>>15212844
Yes. But with "Major" instead of Batou and Hanka Precision Instruments instead of Solus Locus and the government.
>>
>>15212833
>>15212844
It's funny how Innocence seemingly ditched the plot twist from the manga, where it turns out that the robots aren't actually sentient and rebelling against abuse, they've just been programmed to go apeshit by one of the company's programmers, because some of the girls bribed him (with sex) into doing that so that the cops would investigate and free them from the company. Cause copying someone's brainwave patterns gives them Alzheimer's.

then again I haven't watched Innocence in a while, but I'm pretty sure that in Innocence the girls underwent actual mind transfer like in pulp comics somehow.
>>
File: jennifer_connelly.jpg (26KB, 337x480px) Image search: [Google]
jennifer_connelly.jpg
26KB, 337x480px
>>15210231
Being Jewish is no excuse for being ugly.

Jennifer Connelly is Jewish too, you know.
If Jencon can be insanely pretty, why should Scarjo be allowed to have fucked up lips, a pimple nose and the eyes of a dead cow?
>>
>>15212871
Maintaining a doll-like veneer while having imperfections is in right now, if you haven't noticed.
>>
>>15213553
>Scarjo
>doll-like anything
literally wat?
>>
>>15208306

Heh, you have a fun dad.

I'd go with Sky crawler suggestion, or if you want to really troll him back, start a debate about the similarities of Videodrome and GiTS about the nature of transhumanism.
>>
>>15213751
I meant in reference to the dead eyes.
>>
>>15213839
Fun is one way to put it.

Another way is autistic.

But hey when every other day is a battle of wits with your old man you learn the finer points of how to either throw egg on other people's faces, or avoid having it thrown on your own.
>>
>>15214106

This is true. I'm a little jealous actually, I couldn't banter with my dad like this, only with friends.
>>
How is Gits related to mecha?
>>
File: tachikoma.jpg (120KB, 344x481px) Image search: [Google]
tachikoma.jpg
120KB, 344x481px
>>15216911
>>
File: gits-mecha-2[1].jpg (103KB, 1024x554px) Image search: [Google]
gits-mecha-2[1].jpg
103KB, 1024x554px
>>15216911
>>
>>15216966
>>
>>15216970
>>
File: ThinkTank[1].jpg (125KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
ThinkTank[1].jpg
125KB, 1200x630px
>>15216978
german think-tank a brut!
brut!
>>
>>15216911
Posts like this should be insta-ban worthy offenses.

Lurk moar. Actually lurk ANY, dumb cunt crossboarder.
>>
>>15217237
I never read the manga and only watched the movie. The anime is trash so i dropped it
There were no hints about any mechs in the movie apart from the spider tank and thats why i asked, you double-nigger
>>
>>15217278
>there were no hints about mechs
>...other than the mechs, including the fucking cyborg main character and mist of the cast
Are you some sort of invalid?

>anime was trash
Stick to something more your speed, perhaps Aldnoah.Zero?
>>
>>15217283
>cyborg main character
The definition of a mecha doesn't include cyborgs which are simply human sized robots made of organic life.
>Stick to something more your speed
>speed
Stand Alone Complex is fucking dragging. You're mixing things ups
>>
>>15217294
>mecha
>not including cyborgs
Next you're gonna tell us cars aren't /m/, hmm.
>your speed
I'm calling you and ADD rattled cunt, crossboarder. Pick up the pace.
>>
>>15217306
>cars
>mecha
So you're telling me that my toaster is a mecha too because its mechanic? You're fucking retarded
>>
>>15217294
SAC is too good for you for real...
>>
>>15217321
Yes, you idiot, a toaster is /m/.
Have you never been to a toaster thread? No, of course not. You're a crossboarder.
>>
File: Toaster[1].jpg (20KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Toaster[1].jpg
20KB, 200x200px
>>15217321
>>15217724
>>
>>15216966
isnt that thing from appleseed?
>>
>>15218033
Nope. Take a closer look at the toko it`s holding.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (389KB, 1200x1011px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
389KB, 1200x1011px
>>15218033
it's close to a landmate, but GITS and appleseed are each their own thing.
both are by Shirow
>>
>>15216911
>>15217321

Here, I'll make it easy for you:

> Welcome to /m/. Please read the following rules before posting:

> This board is for the discussion of:

> 1) Any series/franchises belonging to any media with giant robots and advanced robotics.

> 2) Series/franchises in which there's a common link to /m/ materials, even if not explicit. Focus on the /m/ elements is preferred but not required.

> 3) Series/franchises that have trace amounts of /m/ elements, provided that the discussion stays focused on said /m/ elements.

> What /m/ IS NOT MADE TO DISCUSS:

> These rules, why you don't like certain fanbases, shitposting, trolling, blogging and other assorted attitudes.

> IF YOU SEE A POST YOU THINK IS BREAKING ACTUAL RULES, REPORT IT AND MOVE ON. Do not forget that spamming, ban-evading and NSFW content are against the Global Rules and will not be tolerated.

> Moderation of /m/ will now be more frequent but we rely on the posters of /m/ to help us better monitor the board. Responsible reporting and flagging of posts will assist us in that process.
>>
>>15204962
>implying you wouldn't get with Carice van Houten given the chance
>>
>>15209451
>>15208431
Her and Deus Ex Machine aren't really Cyberpunk though. The slogan for Cyberpunk is something like "high tech, low life" and neither of them really fit the bill. They're both just general sci-fi.
>>
>>15218282
Take your shitposts back to /tg/
>>
>>15218325
What?

I just don't classify them as cyberpunk.
>>
>>15218182
Appleseed is about a century later in the same continuity.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 599x331px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 599x331px
>>15219254
I know. We know. It's ok, we know.
People just can't get into reading 2.0, man.
>>
>>15218570
Things began to shift in the last couple decades. Cyberpunk stopped being trench coat hackers in dystopic worlds. A sense of noir and proliferation of technology are still part of the core, but some of it has shifted into the interactions with and through that technology. Some of the accidentally predicted technology of older scifi have become reality in a very short span. Cyberpunk has a tendency to take a common scifi feature and take a more thoughtful light to it. We usually join the character and technology well after they're acquainted (big exception to AI emergence stories). As above, there are some strange lines between cyberpunk setting, plot and characters. We see potential cyberpunk settings all the time, but they lack any deeper interaction, so they really are just sci-fi. What we're missing usually are actual cyberpunk plots; in which these tech soaked worlds have already made our character whom they begin to us, and how the next experiences unique to their world will effect them. AI is grade-A cyberpunk plot chum because of the setting needed to create it; and serious consideration of AI generally leads to a back and forth of our own intimate workings.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 251x376px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 251x376px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>15218203
>implying I would
She might look passably good,but she was an incredibly poor pick for the role.
>>
>>15219254

Doesn't Appleseed have multiple continuities too?
>>
>>15205184

I think so. It's using the same descriptive text as the paperbacks. I don't know the difference other than hardcover really.
>>
>>15219589
It means that attack helicopters are the natural enemy of tanks.
>>
>>15203724
>fuck this movie
>you traitor
>>
>>15205131
GTFO normie.
>>
>>15219254
is that actually explicitly stated anywhere?
there's a lot of parallels, but some of the history doesn't match up
what about Dominion Tank Police?
>>
>>15205195
>Anime doesn't usually translate well into live action

It depends on genre and studio budget
>>
File: 7139oxUSlXL.jpg (175KB, 760x1078px) Image search: [Google]
7139oxUSlXL.jpg
175KB, 760x1078px
>>15203723

reminds me of the later plot in this game
>>
>>15220025
Shirow didn't originally intend for Appleseed and GITS to be in the same continuity, it was mainly Kamiyama who pushed the idea in SAC. The GITS manga only briefly mentions the United States, but there's no indication that it's been divided. In Appleseed, Imperial Americana are the red states and the Ameri-Soviet Alliance are the blue states.
>>
i guess it was too much to expect this to be decent.
>>
>>15220842
>2002 is before 1991
Read 2.0 before spewing this bullshit.
>>
>>15219732
Only in so much as the various awful movies aren't canon to the manga.
Thread posts: 236
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.