[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neon Genesis Evangelion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: felicitaciones.jpg (46KB, 450x258px) Image search: [Google]
felicitaciones.jpg
46KB, 450x258px
Evangelion took the idea of heroic pilots itching for a chance to save the world by jumping into these experimental giant fighting machines from shows like Gundam and Sengoku Majin GōShōgun and turned it on it's head. Shinji hates everything that is involved with piloting the EVAs and is a complete coward until he snaps in a psychotic rage. His mysterious father Gendo holds contempt for society and winds up being one of the villains leading to its end. The fierce and battle hardy Asuka crumples under psychic attack, rather than making some kind of ultimate, heroic sacrifice in battle. The EVAs themselves turn out to be monsters. Overall a good representation of deconstruction.
>>
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam > Neon Genesis Evangelion

However, neither is a "deconstruction".
Try exposing yourself to some actual philosophy archives (Stanford has an awesome digital archive) instead of the rote regurgitation sans comprehension that you'll find on sites like TVTropes.com or 4chan.org.
>>
File: Smug, shitty Misato Clone.jpg (61KB, 625x659px) Image search: [Google]
Smug, shitty Misato Clone.jpg
61KB, 625x659px
>>15199883
This.
>>
>>15199803
None of that is representative of deconstruction though. Evangelion isn't a deconstruction because it never attempts to act like a typical mecha show. If it did, Shinji would have been more than willing to get in the Eva to protect everybody and wouldn't need to be guilted into it. They would have pretended that the robots were robots before revealing what they really were later.

Kamen Rider Gaim was just your typical fun toku at first. School Days was your typical harem anime at first. Evangelion was never a typical super robot show.
>>
>>15200520
>School Days was your typical harem anime at first.
Technically more a typical adaptation of a typical harem visual novel, but your point still stands.
>>
>>15200520
Then I'm betting Madoka is deconstruction.
>>
>>15200745
OOOHHHHhhhh boy.
>>
>>15200692
Yeah, you know what I mean. You can't deconstruct a genre that you aren't adhering to in the first place. Spec Ops: The Line is a deconstruction of modern military shooters because it makes you think it is one.

>>15200745
I wouldn't know, Madoka is really far back in my backlog right now. But from what I've heard, no. It doesn't really pretend to be an average magical girl anime, darker elements are hinted at early on.
>>
>>15200788
>SpecOps
>Deconstruction

>FPS
>genre

I nearly gagged.
>>
>>15200788
>something is a deconstruction of [x] because it makes you think it is [x].

NO, that's just simple subversion.
It's closer to parody or satirical exploration than anything else.

Deconstruction is a really poor attempt at investigating semiotics.
>>
>>15199803
>felicitaciones
Well played.
>>
>>15199803
Amuro wasn't itching for a chance to save the world at the beginning of Gundam. The first 20+ episodes of Gundam are filled with how conflicted he feels about piloting, especially with Bright and him clashing. Amuro initially just does what he can to defend himself and his new home on White Base, similar to how Shinji does what he has to defend his new home in Tokyo-3. The differences was that in Evangelion Shinji's experiences with piloting is much worse considering that the Eva's damage is relayed to the pilots and most of the time they have to constantly come up with on the fly solutions to deal with radically different situations. Amuro has to deal with constant attacks on White Base, but most of the time he's carried by how overpowered the Gundam is compared to the other suits, and by the time comparable suits come around, Amuro already got good at piloting. It was a lot easier for him to get attached to the role of a pilot compared to Shinji, but him and Amuro are essentially similar characters (angsty, whiny, parental issues) who got conscripted against their will, but who's fighting environments are very different.
>>
>>15200788
>It doesn't really pretend to be an average magical girl anime, darker elements are hinted at early on
It's a regular magical girl anime until episode 3. Of a 12 episode show. Is that too early for you?
>>
>>15199803

We just had this same fucking thread earlier this week.

A show cannot be a deconstruction in the same way that a physical meal cannot be a review posted on yelp, etc etc.
>>
>>15199883
Stop trying to start a fanbase war, the two are barely alike other than having some very broad and conventional mecha story elements
>>
File: Anno's cure for diabetes.jpg (45KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Anno's cure for diabetes.jpg
45KB, 600x450px
It's just Anno telling you to stop watching cartoons and try talking to girls.

Fuck him though I'll never give up my Asuka-themed titty mousepads.
>>
>>15201888
goddamn that makes me hungry
I've had one of those things before; you'd think they'd taste like sweet diarrhea, but they're actually great.
They don't hold together well at all though.
>>
If you honestly think that Evangelion was the first show to explore the psychological effects of piloting a robot in a high-stress environment you should seriously consider watching more Mecha shows

Also stop using stupid buzzwords like "deconstruction." You sound like a first year film student.

Kamille and Amuro are far more realistic responses to being forced to operate experimental military weapons. Magical space psychics and all. Not to say that MSG is better than NGE, but there are certainly pros and cons to both series. Shinji is neither as grounded, nor as relatable as NGE fans claim. If you're going to call a character fantastic in Eva, that character should be Misato
>>
>>15201276
>A show cannot be a deconstruction in the same way that a physical meal cannot be a review posted on yelp
Fuck you I'll spell out my reviews in bacon strips and you still can't fucking stop me.
>>
>>15199803
Deconstruction doesn't mean what you think it means, and you should feel bad
>>
>>15202714
>and you should feel bad
Please return to reddit and never come back.

If it's any consolation, I agree with your sentiment
>>
The dude in the Linebarrel show was a more realistic EVA protagonist.
>>
>>15203192
It wasn't realistic. It was a deconstruction of a deconstruction.
>>
>>15203197
Evangelion can't be deconstructed. Eva is deconstruction all the way down.
>>
File: Kensuke_8.png (99KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
Kensuke_8.png
99KB, 500x297px
>>15199803
There's a scene where Kensuke is camping and it always stuck out to me.

I know the Japanese love to reenact war and pretend like they're in the army men camping out. Does anyone have experience with this niche hobby?

It sounds fun as fuck to go out in the woods, start a fire by hand, whip out a MRE, then sleep in a sleeping bag or handmade shelter.
>>
>>15207584
Go check out /k/ and ask about being innawoods.
>>
>>15199803
evangelion isnt a mecha show, anno created it as an outlet for his depression, and the story is really focused on the characters and their psychological traumas, not the mecha.
>>
>>15209919
Every thread, you get some idiot that posts retarded shit like this.

Where do they come from, these people?
>>
File: love.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
love.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>15199803
>EVA
>>
>>15199803
>Overall a good representation of deconstruction.
Wrong
>>
>>15199803
>Amuro
>itching at a chance to pilot a giant robot
Did you miss the part where he had to get his shit slapped before he felt like he could pilot it?
>>
>>15220873

Heck, even Duo who had aa backstory Worse than both Asuka and Shinj had a better determination rather than them

NGE is mostly anno Trying to mime Ideon
>>
>>15199803
>The EVAs themselves turn out to be monsters
Getter Robo and The Big O did this way better.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.