[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dancougar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: Dan the Cougar.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Dan the Cougar.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
I found a VHS tape of this series and never heard of it. What does /m/ think of it
>>
One of the best real mecha, imo.
Liked from the very start, which doesn't happen very often.
It could use a bit more serialisation and development for villains, though.
>>
File: ChhwApFVEAA1Pkt.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
ChhwApFVEAA1Pkt.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
This is Shapiro Keats, traitor to Earth. He is made of Wakamoto and FABULOUS.
>>
>>15170145
>real
>people still spouting this meme
>>
>>15170074
Good but flawed. Good despite that.
>>
>>15170145
It's a super robot series.
>>
>>15171186
No.
>>
>>15171189
>animal-like robots powered by hotblood that combine into a giant sword wielding slayer of invading aliens
>it's real robot guise
>>
>>15171195
>any of that
>relevant to whether something is rr or sr
Please learn more before you post again, newfag.
>>
File: helloMyNameIsDanAndImACougar.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
helloMyNameIsDanAndImACougar.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
Hello my name is Dan and I'm a cougar
>>
>>15171217
>Dancougar is a one of a kind robot
>the humans don't have any other robots
It's literally as super as you can get
>>
>>15171217
>any of that
>relevant to whether something is rr or sr
Yes, they are absolutely relevant.
>>
Gundor is one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen in a mecha anime.
>>
>>15171243
This, really. The Muge in particular are the villains of traditional mecha shows, if they eliminated the middleman and just sent their fleet to seize the entire planet at once.
>>
>>15171243
Not really.

>>15172023
No they aren't.
>>
File: 1361336758197.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1361336758197.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>15172118
>>>15172023 (You)
>No they aren't.
It depends entirely what you mean by super mecha/real mecha.

If by real mecha you mean "a mecha designed by the military" then Dancougar is a real robot, and so is Gunbuster. If by real mecha you mean "a mecha with real limitations that would likely lose if not for the skill of it's pilots" then Dancougar is a real robot, and so is Great Mazinger. If by real mecha you mean "a mecha that requires heavy maintenance by a team of repair people between sortees" then Dancougar is a real robot, and so is Combattler V.

You could also approach it from the other direction. If you define a super mecha as "a mecha that taps into the willpower/fighting spirit of it's pilots" then Dancougar is a super mecha, as is Full Metal Panic's Arbalest. If you define a super mecha as "a mecha that is mighty enough to let it's pilots face against enemies that would otherwise tower over them" then Dancougar is a super mecha, as are Macross's Valkyrie.

The fact is, the terms refer to a set of characteristics more than a concrete definition, and boundaries between the two are incredibly thin.

But Dancougar is definitely a super robot and you're nuts if you think otherwise.
>>
>>15170145
>Dancougar
>real
What
>>
>>15172361
Man, that's a lot of autism for nothing.
>>
>>15172385
>Man, that's a lot of autism for nothing.
I know. It's fucking unbelievable that someone would call Dancougar a real robot show.
>>
File: shap.jpg (89KB, 400x440px) Image search: [Google]
shap.jpg
89KB, 400x440px
>>15171122
This is Shapiro Niezheaven, also traitor Earth. He is made of Hasegawa and crazy faggot.
>>
>>15172361
>If by real mecha you mean "a mecha designed by the military" then Dancougar is a real robot
Oh boy, I guess Tetsujin 28 was the first real robot. Tomino lied to me.
>>
>>15172445
If you want to interpret it that way, sure.
>>
>>15170074
Ignoring all the super/real bullshit... Eh. Dancouga's ok, I guess. It has shitty animation quality but despite literal slideshow animation and some terrifying character designs is not the ugliest thing from 1985, so whatever. It's got great villains which prop up the fact that the average episode plot is either middling or flat out fucking stupid. It starts picking up later on, but they cancelled it and a lot of potential stuff gets wasted. Dancouga itself has shit for weapons until the OVA that finished the show and the movie and OVA that continued the story, Black Wing is WASTED, and Gandor, while cool, does disturbingly little. And the enemy mechs outside the leaders didn't get names until the goddamn 2000s, some of them over 20 years after the show aired - "Desire" was just "Shapiro's Combat Mecha" until 2004, it was one of the early ones to get a name.

I like it, but it's nothing absurdly amazing outside a few standout scenes. Requiem For The Lost is a great ending, God Bless has many issues but is generally likable, I've never seen Burning Epilogue as it has no subs outside the first episode, and Dancouga Nova is totally unrelated but about the same in terms of overall quality (by which I mean "eh".)

Fucking amazing music though. SRW only using the combination theme in every game since 2005 - before you bring up OE, it just reused a theme from a game from 2007, which itself barely changed it from a game in 2004, that counts - makes me want to shoot people with a Big Gun.
>>
>>15172469
Nobody classified about Tetsujin being the first Real Robot during that time (1950s-60s)
>>
Having finished the first ten episodes, and I have this to say: I've noticed an instrumental version of Burning Love was used in some fights. Anyone like the fact it was the theme for Dancouga in its first SRW games?
>>
>>15172971
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGCal3I75ao

It was pretty nice. By the end of the decade we also had Ai Yo Faraway (the first OP), and in the first half of the decade afterwards we got Honto No Kiss (the second OP), Love Is Miracle (the opening theme from God Bless Dancouga), and Choujin Tenshou (the actual fucking theme of the Dankuukougaken).

Since 2005 we've only gotten the same Honto No Kiss remix from 2004 slightly touched up in the remake of GC and Burning Rage - the combination theme - and that bugs the shit out of me. Even when SRW did the God Bless plot in Z2 they didn't include any fucking God Bless music.
>>
>>15172487
What happened in the 2000s that made them suddenly spend time giving names to designs from decades ago? Did Nova call for it?
>>
>>15170074
I'm rather curious where on earth you found a VHS of Dancougar.
>>
>>15173956
Shit happens

>>15173959
Not American or the old days of anime in US
>>
>>15173956
It was before Nova's release.

What I think happened, honestly, is SRW got tired of giving Muge Zolbados mechs really dumb generic names, so when GC did the show's plot for the first time since 64 they went "alright, for serious now, you need to come up with real names for these things" and over the next few years they did. That's also the game that debuted Final Dancouga in a visual medium, mind, so there had to have been some communication.
>>
File: IMG_20161221_211558.jpg (13KB, 228x214px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161221_211558.jpg
13KB, 228x214px
>>15171122
>David Bowie will never play him in a live action movie
>>
File: Picture 50.jpg (124KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 50.jpg
124KB, 640x480px
>>15173959
A thrift store
>>
>>15175472
Neat.

That practically belongs in a museum.
>>
>>15170074
I don't like it. It's a stretch to call it animation at times because there's so many still frames.
>>
>>15175519
>That practically belongs in a museum
>>
>>15175540
How many Dancougar tapes do you think are still out there in the wild?

Who's going to preserve the history of anime localization if not us?
>>
>>15175551
>history of anime localization if not us
>>
I like a lot, would go so far to say it's one of my favorite mech shows of all time.
Hell I even like both the original and nova equally for different reasons.
>>
>>15175564
>green text
>>
>>15178147
Is grammar-fagging a thing on /m/ now?
I mean, this is about up there with the /jp/ 'Who are you quoting' dipshits.
>>
>>15173932

I see. Thanks.

New question: How do we differentiate General Igor's son and the mountain guerilla from episode 10 who are both named "Alan?"
>>
I finished the TV series a long time ago when somebody uploaded it on Veoh. Are the OVAs worth seeing? I can't seem to find them.
>>
Just finished episodes 11-16 and what can I say is that this show had good pacing.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.