[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flash Gordon.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
19KB, 480x360px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O2QPgMSV40

Anyone else like the Flash Gordon 1996 show? I think it had some pretty great ship designs and a cool world. I haven't seen it for 20 years though. No clue if it's just nostalgia or if it was a bad show. I remember thinking that the Princess and Dale were hot. And I swear that people got killed on this show and that there was references to sex. Maybe I'm imagining it.

For Flash Gordon incarnations, this one seems pretty much ignored. But it was my first experience with it. Wish it had gotten a second season. Also if I remember right, Ming's wife was implied to be human, and that his daughter was half-human. Which explains her more human like appearance.
>>
>>15161899

woulda been nice if they got the queen song
>>
>>15161899

>Ship animation extremely fluid
>characters kinda wonky
>show looks cheap

I don't get it.
>>
>>15162127

what's to get? Budget animation can do one thing well if you're lucky.
>>
>>15162166

Could it be possible that they used 3D rotoscoping for the ships? It has that 3D model look and smooth movements, but it looks drawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sreGgJcrRUc
>>
>>15162175
I love how the bad quys appears with a glowing visor, only to reveal that he has glowing eyes.
>>
>>15161899
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJUXhQnyI8
Innocent guy gets killed in the first minute
>>
>>15161899

I swear there's an ep where Flash needs a favor from the Princess. She embraces him and the scene ends. Then later in the ep the other girl asks Flash how they got this favor, and he blushes.

The princess is hot too.
>>
>>15162175

It appears to be rotoscoping. The ships change from very static shots in some cases, to very dynamic ones with lots of movements. They're strategically using their money to make the cool ships look cool.
>>
>>15161899
Is this the one where they re-imagined him to be an EXTREME skateboarder?
>>
>>15164992

Yes, but he only skateboarded for like 2 minutes in the first episode.

It is a pretty good re-imagining, and is no more "extreme" than Guardians of the Galaxy or Farscape, which have similar premises.
>>
>>15163956
id say its early EARLY cell shading , like they used for invader zim, futurama and invasion earth
>>
>>15165021

The ships blend in too well. Typically 3D models, even with cell shading stand out way too much. And this is 1996. No way they could have cell shading that good.
>>
Hot damn I remember this show, is there anywhere one can watch it in English?
>>
>>15161899
>Flash Gordon
it's a real hero
>>
File: FlashGordon36.jpg (11KB, 150x110px) Image search: [Google]
FlashGordon36.jpg
11KB, 150x110px
>>15161899
>>15164992
I absolutely love the '90s cartoon. While it certainly is filled with the 90s, it's also quite faithful to the mentality of the comic strip and the serials. It's got cliffhangers, it's got the weird monsters and races, the melodrama (the fact that both Dale Arden and Princess Aura look alike is just like the comic strip) and even disposable mooks. Although, honestly, the one thing I don't like is the constant use of rock warriors over actual Mongo soldiers. I do really like the yuppy version of Doctor Zarkov. Also, notice that the character design for Flash resembles Sam Jones, as an inversal of how Buster Crabb was practically Alex Raymond's Flash brought to life. And Prince Barin was clearly modeled on Timothy Dalton. Shame that Vultan was the anti-Brian Blessed.

I really do like the ssssslithery look of Ming the Mercilessessess and his race, but one of my favourite side villains was Kayla and the Shark-men. And then I found out while reading the comic strip that they were atomized by Ming's forces and the Lion Men after their first (and only) appearance. No wonder King Features assigned Raymond a ghost writer after that.
>>
Used to watch it a lot on YTV. Damn, I feel old.
>>
>>15167291

yeah, it was late night on YTV for some reason.

>>15166766

I haven't seen the show in 20 years, but wasn't it implied Ming's wife was human thus why his daughter has a more human appearance? Or is that a fan theory I've picked up?
>>
FLASH!
>>
>>15167504
It was strongly implied. Even a few scenes where Ming secluded himself away in a chamber dedicated to her mother.
>>
>>15168824

Wasnt' there a shot of the picture once?
>>
File: Flash-Gordon.jpg (66KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Flash-Gordon.jpg
66KB, 500x500px
>>
>>15172827

Hi Captain Kirk.
>>
>>15170085

Yea, I recall it being flat out stated/shown at some point, rather than just implied. Though I haven't seen it since it aired, so 20 years could easily have muddled my thoughts.
>>
>>15161899
>>15168824
>>15173058
>Also if I remember right, Ming's wife was implied to be human, and that his daughter was half-human. Which explains her more human like appearance.
I don't really follow Flash Gordon, but I could have sworn I've heard this about greater Flash Gordon lore beyond this series or the Queen movie.

maybe I'm just thinking of some other evil space emperor daughter
>>
>>15161899
He's my idol
>>
>>15166766
>(the fact that both Dale Arden and Princess Aura look alike is just like the comic strip)

Somehow I never noticed this.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.