[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wonder how Nagano feels about this.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14

File: fss-ibo.png (2MB, 1200x1159px) Image search: [Google]
fss-ibo.png
2MB, 1200x1159px
I wonder how Nagano feels about this.
>>
Nagano doesn't watch shit unless he's watching his toilet flush.
>>
>>15158131
How is it that Nagano makes high detail work? I hate seeing designs like IBO where everything is covered in pointy bits sticking out everywhere but I never felt that way with Nagano's work.
>>
>>15158162
I love Nagano design, but all the ornate crap he does (espescially in modern designs) is just as much fluff/garnish as all the pointy bits on the new IBO designs.

Regal crap is Nagano's version of Katoki stickers.
>>
>>15158131
Side-by-side, I'm actually surprised to see that the Gothicmade isn't more complex than its MH counterpart. If anything, it's simplified in some areas like the midsection and legs. The bizarre jointwork and extra kibble on the head and torso seems to be the only big difference.
>>
Will we get the dino saw back to go with the Rex?
>>
File: img_7.jpg (288KB, 1500x2250px) Image search: [Google]
img_7.jpg
288KB, 1500x2250px
>>15158162
Generally Nagano focuses more on silhouette than other designers, who jump into details right away. The GTM stuff is a bit sloppy, but usually Mortar Headds have a very clear and defined silhouette despite all the details that go into them.

Barbatos does not have that same level of cohesiveness to its design, though Lupus fares better than the other two forms.
>>
>>15158201
that's very good point, I want to learn more about silhouette design process.
>>
File: obari touch.jpg (422KB, 1280x1100px) Image search: [Google]
obari touch.jpg
422KB, 1280x1100px
>>15158225
Generally, most animators like Obari and Yoh Yoshinari and Shigeto Koyama tend to focus more on silhouette than mechanical details in their designs, because in animation how the shapes move and deform is the biggest objective. As a result, most of the designs they make or redraw have very distinct silhouettes that lend themselves more easily to animation. The downside is that a lot of their designs, with the exception of Obari, look rather flat and cartoony. I think Ippei Gyobou (G-Reco) is someone who follows this design philosophy as well, though his designs have a bit more definition to them.

On the flip side, you have the industrial designers/ mechanic drafters like Katoki, Kawamori, Ebikawa. They can churn out some impressive detail, giving their mecha considerable depth, but their designs are not always distinct enough to stand out on paper. That's part of the reason why Katoki redraws everything- he takes older designs that were rather flat before and gives them a modern 3D update. It's the opposite of Obari, who exaggerates and stretches out and flattens the design and makes it more animated as a result.

Finding the balance between these two styles is challenging. Nagano is interesting because he falls into the same category of industrial designers like Katoki, which allows him to give his mecha very impressive detail and depth, but at the same time he was trained as a fashion designer, which prioritizes silhouettes above all else (also the reason why his characters are so skinny).
>>
>>15158225
>>15158272
I also highly recommend anyone who is interested in mecha design to read this whole interview with Yoshinari, where he talks about how designs have to coincide with animation, and mentions the Evas quite a bit (which we all know were never consistently drawn in the TV series):

https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/12/27/yoh-yoshinari-interview-animestyle-032013-part-23/
>>
>>15158272
Thanks, very informative.
>>
>>15158131
Where the hell these Gundam Frames = Mortar Headds comparisons even coming from?
>>
>>15158193
I await the day Nagano goes through his next design evolution and decides that robots no longer need appendages. It will be Elmeth ver Nagano.
>>
>>15158131
Reaching pretty hard.
>>
File: nova mug.jpg (143KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
nova mug.jpg
143KB, 500x300px
>>15158272

Goddamn, Nova just looks fucking wrong on top.
>>
>>15158272

Man, Obari just loves that pose
>>
File: obari.jpg (1MB, 4479x1512px) Image search: [Google]
obari.jpg
1MB, 4479x1512px
>>15159513

Obari likes his poetry
>>
>>15158131
It's wrong that I actually like the Gotchimade Junchoon more than the Mortarhead version?
>>
>>15159496
Nah, you're just freakin stupid anon. Washio has always been inspired/influenced by Nagano. All of his designs have similar traits which are the high heels, skinny waist, Knight aesthetics and the gribble on armor. The only difference I see is that Washio isn't that good at perspective, so his designs don't translate well into 3d and his aesthetic is leaning towards a dark Knight look.
>>
File: 16544390580939.jpg (458KB, 983x1313px) Image search: [Google]
16544390580939.jpg
458KB, 983x1313px
>>15159681
>The only difference I see is that Washio isn't that good at perspective, so his designs don't translate well into 3d
>perspective
School me on this one, I'm terrible at art/design.
>>
>>15159684
Look at Barbatos, look how overcomplicated it is and despite all that detail the basic design is bad. The skirt armor for example is an obstruction that limits the leg motion for what's supposed to be an agile design. The Heels he design is described to "make it easier to maneuver on land by reducing the base surface area". One thing to note is how he draws them not standing straight and it's most likely because he hasn't master perspective lines yet. It feels like he couldn't start with basic shapes and would rather build on the designs from detail which a lot of noob artist do. I would praise some of his older designs like the Thrones, but when it comes to a heavy detail design, he goes overboard and everything ends up like a deformed Valverave.
>>
>>15159709
Forgot to add to this. Basically artists that aren't good at perspective is going to have a hard time getting their design to look good in 3D. Kawamori had a hard time with his early macross designs because his drawings weren't accurate enough for it for 3D but worked out fine because of animation magic. I'd say a straight design like a Gundam is a walk in a park compared to Kawamori's industrial design heavy work and Nagano's fine art pieces.
>>
>>15159717
It wasn't just Kawamori, everyone in the 80s had an awful sense of perspective when designing. Like the infamous Barzam crotch cannon.
>>
>>15160320
it's not a crotch cannon, it's a little sensor
>>
>>15160320
Not really. The Zeta and ZZ turned out just fine, but its true for a lot of them.
>>
File: razor.jpg (112KB, 575x576px) Image search: [Google]
razor.jpg
112KB, 575x576px
>>15159684
NAOKI's biggest problem is that the posture of his designs are too slack. The silhouette is neither masculine nor feminine, instead it just comes across as wimpy. Instead of using a T or V shape, he decided to use a fucking A.

I also hate how blocky his designs are, or his interpretation of blockiness. Whenever someone like Katoki or Ebikawa draw boxy shapes, they always use many angular techniques to give it more depth. NAOKI thinks that the trick to giving a design more depth is to just slap some panel lines on his boxes, because of his background as a kit modder.

Just compare it to this basic AGE design from Ebikawa. It's rather plain, but it has depth, an imposing silhouette, and the shapes on its body are arranged more like tiles than blocks. And notice how minimal the panel lines are. Even at his most banal, Ebikawa shows off more mastery of design than the entirety of Naoki's career.
>>
Makes me wonder what MEGAS Ver. Ka would look like

Probably really fucking cool
>>
>>15158131
I don't think that I will ever be able to understand what the fuck was going in Nagano's mind when he thought that Gotchimade was a good idea.
>>
>>15161271
I've never been able to comprehend why people like nagano's designs.
>inb4 "retard people like different things"
I know that, but his designs just look incredibly far out there, I mean they're barely humanoid most of the time.

Over the years I've started seeing some stuff of his that I like suchase the Engage and L-gaim, but a lot of his work is really alienating to the average mecha fan, kinda like Washio.

Initially I didn't like Washio's Fafners either, but somehow after not seeing them for years I saw them again due to exodus and came around, and now I love them.

While I don't understand Nagano's designs I wish more mecha designers took after him.
The way he goes about creating silhouettes and joints is so unique and it's rare to see someone stray that far from a humanoid base in mecha design.
>>
File: rick dias.jpg (306KB, 1024x771px) Image search: [Google]
rick dias.jpg
306KB, 1024x771px
>>15161472
I think this thread did a pretty decent job explaining Nagano- his robots aren't really so much robots as they are very elaborate and baroque monster designs. They're rather extreme, but executed with very high technical skill. It's not for everyone, especially people who want more realism in their robots, but I don't think anyone can deny the level of thought and care put into the designs. I'm less than enamored with the Gothicmades as singular designs but looking through them I can't help but be impressed with the touches Nagano put on. Twin spines? Rail joints? Clear armor? It's absolutely nuts, but also unlike anything we've seen before in mecha design.

It should be worth noting though that Nagano is a massive /k/ fag and started his career designing tanks and modern jet planes for Giant Gorg and Vifam. The inner frame concept he pioneered for L-Gaim was also quite revolutionary when it came to real robot designs. And he's no stranger to making less outlandish mecha like L-Gaim and Rick Dias. The problem is that he simply doesn't do it enough, nor does he have much incentive to do it since he's eternally stuck writing FSS.
>>
File: e75-1.jpg (110KB, 1090x532px) Image search: [Google]
e75-1.jpg
110KB, 1090x532px
>>15161677
What's ironic about FSS is that even though the mecha are visually over the top, the military vehicle and costume designs aren't too aesthetically far removed from what currently exists in our world.
>>
File: gtm tank.jpg (195KB, 944x534px) Image search: [Google]
gtm tank.jpg
195KB, 944x534px
>>15161696
At least, until Gothicmade came by.
>>
>>15159717
To be fair, if I was a /m/echanical designer, I'd focus more on how it looks in motion than how it looks from a realistic standpoint. Style > reality.
>>
One thing with Nagano's designs is that he's pretty much used the exact same pool of designs for everything he's worked on with some adjustments and evolutions over time.
>>
File: baronz.jpg (104KB, 1024x884px) Image search: [Google]
baronz.jpg
104KB, 1024x884px
>>15161714
From L-Gaim to FSS, sure, because FSS was Nagano's Tomino-free L-Gaim, but Brain Powerd, Schell Bullet, and Zeta/ZZ are all very different other than the usual touches of Nagano's shapes.

It's the same thing Kobayashi did by turning his Baund Docs and The O in Zeta into the Gampf and Neo Geo in Dragon's Haven. It's normal for designers to reuse their stuff, often times it's intentional.
>>
>>15159717
I think it had more to do with purpose and deadline than his ability to draw.
>>
>>15161711
That's the thing, I actually agree with you. I find that the details on Barbatos are not really animation friendly. It has a lot of pointy bits and parts that makes it hard to animate. In fact most of the times he's static and just hover in show. I think the 4th form was it's ideal form and the Lupus should've been like a space from, but instead we got the opposite. I don't really blame him though as it must've been Bandai forcing him to churn out more designs regardless of the specifics of the Animation side.
>>
>>15159709
>he goes overboard and everything ends up like a deformed Valverave

Enough of this meme. VVV's were good designs.
>>
>>15158131
Wow, this just makes me realize how much of a visual downgrade Lupus is from the original.

Junchoon > Engage

>>15158162
He knows how to work with shapes. Everything flows nicely.
>>
>>15158131
Barbatos literally gets uglier with each upgrade.

Gundam as usual actually.
>>
>>15161730

BAROOOOOOOOOON
>>
>>15158272
That Dancouga Nova looks like it has the same range of articulation as Godmars
>>
>>15163581
Never said it wasn't. It's pretty decent although a bit over designed.
>>
>>15163887
Honestly I thought the original Barbatos was just a bland mess, with the Lupus being the best out of the 3.
>>
>>15160664
>wanting Katoki to ruin an awesome super robot homage with his boring blockiness and long legs and warning decals

How about no.
>>
>>15165941
>awesome super robot homage
kys
>>
>>15165975
You first, Katokek.
>>
File: junoon298904.jpg (3MB, 2682x3036px) Image search: [Google]
junoon298904.jpg
3MB, 2682x3036px
>>15163590
>Junchoon > Engage

With you all the way. Plamo when Volks?
>>
>>15158131
Nagano is garbage tier.
>>
>>15167121
Plamo a shit. Only resin can properly display the beauty of these designs.
>>
>>15165000
NO, they're shit.
>>
>>15167214
go back to your Ver.Ka kit, chump
>>
File: 1478368694522.png (18KB, 262x262px) Image search: [Google]
1478368694522.png
18KB, 262x262px
>>15167809
Wrong board?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.