[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Combination Robots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: voltron_8444.png (127KB, 350x266px) Image search: [Google]
voltron_8444.png
127KB, 350x266px
Hey /m/, I've never been to this board before, but I'm an artist and I've been tasked with designing four robots that join together to form one big robot.

All the robots (and the big combination robot) are quadrupeds, and I'm at a loss as to how to do this in an intuitive and satisfying way.

I've also never designed robots before, and am not very familiar with mecha... But I'd like to do it right.

Are there any big design problems I need to avoid, or advice you can give me based on robots joining up to be a bigger robot in media?

What are good examples of this?

What are bad examples of this?
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u3.jpg (220KB, 1000x965px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u3.jpg
220KB, 1000x965px
>>15155098
Well, you posted one of the better examples. The Megazord is also a good example.
>>
>>15155098
Take a look at Dancouga and Dancouga Nova. One robot forms the bulk of the body with its legs forming the combined robot's arms and legs, one folds up to form the head, and one folds into a box that forms each foot. Look up pics of the Metamor Force Dancouga figure if you want to see a real-life implementation of how this works.
>>
File: zbots.jpg (406KB, 1388x1600px) Image search: [Google]
zbots.jpg
406KB, 1388x1600px
>>15155098
The final result's a quadruped too? Unusual.

Here, have a bunch of robots sandwiched together. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's not so good but it's a bunch of examples to get the ideas flowing.
>>
>>15155098
As far as robot design: simple is better than complicated. A lot of western robots overdo the greebling: exposed wires, pipes, all those extra details that make the design look too busy. Look at a fighter jet: sleek, clean lines with as few exposed components as possible. Your robot should endeavor to be like that, like with the Megazord in >>15155104.
>>
>>15155126

They're all fashioned off of dogs, and I want to retain the base anatomy of the dogs so that they're recognizable. Also, I naturally keep technology simple. I've done a lot of retro-future art so I'm not really the type to go crazy with wires and stuff. I only want it to be complicated enough to realistically transform and fit together, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
File: gfgf.jpg (12KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
gfgf.jpg
12KB, 259x195px
>>15155098
Legendary Megazord
>>
Four's kind of a weird number, I'd either make one a backpack or I'd just cop out and divide the final bot into quarters looking from above its back.

One's the left half of the head/left front leg/left chest, one's the right half of the head/right front leg/right chest, one's the left back leg/left butt etc
>>
>>15155134
do something like voltron but split one of the dogs into a pair of arms, with its head as one shoulderpad

there aren't that many ways to deal with component quadroped legs beyond just folding them up, the voltron foot and body transformations are something acceptable to re use - though dog body could have its head on chest intead of a hood if you want to depart further
>>
>>15155098
I don't know if I'd call it a good example, but Dancouga BURN had three quadrupedal components and a bird, and one of the prototype versions was a centaur mech.

Actually, if you're allowed to make a centaur, that could work. Upper body is a quadruped where the two back legs come off and combine to the upper ones to form arms, lower front body is a larger quadruped, then the back legs and feet are both really small mechs. Or maybe make it so one mech is the back legs and one mech is the front legs? I dunno.
>>
>>15155098
Two to form the legs, one to form the arms and body and I'll form the head.

I don't get why the combined super robot should be a quadruped. The whole gimmick of gattai is that combining overcomes the limitations of the induvidual machines and does something that they can't. Going from a beast-like form to a human-like form sort of symbolises this, it's evolution. I just don't think 4 dogs that gattai into a big dog is a good idea at all.
>>
try these combinations as inspiration for the part fusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKEC2I8SsVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wODKm9cI9Lw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffpboK5qKjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di6v7BRFn0s
>>
Play with legos to see what kind of transformation and combination scheme works before you start drawing
>>
>>15155134
I assume the resultant robot will be humanoid and the dogs are regular domestic dogs and not just canines in general?

Typically, a large unit forms the legs, mid-size forms the torso and 2 smaller units form the arms. You could have a large unit form both arms but that involves telescoping or splitting the body, which I'm personally not a huge fan of.

I'd recommend maybe a mastiff for the legs? The huge head and flat face of a bull mastiff could make a good pelvic/crotch piece without too obviously being a face, since I presume we're talking a stylized mecha here. The body would split to be both legs.

The rest is standard stuff, A dog for the torso and one each for the arms. Perhaps a German Shepard/Husky/Doberman type (pointy face) for one of the arms so that the pauldron would be an animal head, ala Lio Convoy. Alternately, a German Shepard/Husky for the torso, and the head would have an Anubis type look ala Mugen Pharaoh.
>>
>>15155098
I'd focus on making sure it looks interesting and has a distinct silhouette, and don't worry too much about the whole realism thing, especially since it can really hold you back on something like this and make it less enjoyable.
>>
>>15155098
Here's a couple quadrupeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrgkmSDAK0&feature=youtu.be
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.