[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever made a full robot cosplay?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: 1469277223429.jpg (270KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1469277223429.jpg
270KB, 1366x2048px
Have you ever made a full robot cosplay?
>>
File: 1448493184922.jpg (34KB, 600x553px) Image search: [Google]
1448493184922.jpg
34KB, 600x553px
>>15154583
That looks fucking awesome. Do you know who made this or if there are more of it?
>>
I once did a boxwar dressed as a discount Alteisen, I've only kept the helm but the rest of the armor got broken away.
I had fuckhuge spaulders with hidden spare weapons inside (the rule was that everyone should keep at least one weapon in hand at all times, no hand ripping allowed) a cardboard stake and a cardboard axe, both broke away after a few hits and I kept fighting only with the handle of the axe.
We left a mess afterward but goddamn if it wasn't worth it.

Every /m/an should do at least one boxwar in his life dressed as a mecha.
>>
>>15154583
No, but that Dougram papercraft book sure gives a guy ideas.
>>
File: 1244749701669.jpg (132KB, 700x546px) Image search: [Google]
1244749701669.jpg
132KB, 700x546px
>>15154583
You think it'd get me laid?
>>
File: 300px-BWDinobot_decision.jpg (23KB, 300x368px) Image search: [Google]
300px-BWDinobot_decision.jpg
23KB, 300x368px
>>15154583
My class adviser asked me to make a Dinobot (Beast Wars) costume for my classmate back in grade school for an event. When it was all done, some were asking why it doesn't even look like a robot dinosaur.
>>
>>15154583
I wonder if you could put a small fan inside the bulkier bits, pointed at yourself, powered by a 12v batery somewhere in the suit, otherwise it'd be hellishly hot in there.
>>
File: IMG_0033.jpg (3MB, 2000x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0033.jpg
3MB, 2000x2592px
Browsing along and oh hey look its me
>>15154583
Ive made 7, working on designs for number 8 at the moment.
>>15156092
A local con in Orlando called AFO does something like this called the Iron Cardboard Robot Costume Contest. Teams of 3-4 people get an hour or two and a pile of cardboard to make the best mecha costume. I make a point of attending every time, past two times I got to be a judge as well.
>>15156386
The Alt-Eisen suit has two fans in the chest to help keep me cool. One blow up towards my face from the neck, the other blows at chest level with the intake hidden by the hides of the cockpit hatch. My newer costumes use 80mm fans hooked up to cell phone batteries.

My most recent build is the RX-79[G], I am still putting a few finishing touches on it. Ive also made a Wing Zero, a GaoGaiGar and a few others.

Here's some video of the 79 in action if your interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuVSyuusbsQ
>>
>>15156495
Oh hey cool it's you. Glad you finally won best in show with Gundam Wing for the last Super Con, you got snubbed for way too long with your awesome costumes. My friend actually got the Gundam chant going and just kept screaming "GANDAMMU' when they asked who should win. Is GGG gonna be done by Super or are you gonna break it out at a different con?
>>
>>15156547
The Genesic GGG I am working on is still a long ways away unfortunately. I'm still in the scaling and design phase, haven't even started making the mock-ups yet. Ive been pretty lucky as far as awards go so I don't feel snubbed, though I don't think I should compete at Super anymore. Ive won twice and I feel like I am being a dick to continue to compete there. That said I may still go to the show with the G type just to have some fun for a weekend and not stress over a contest. Thanks to you and your friend of the cheers :)
>>
>>15156600
That's good because I don't wanna miss GGG and I likely won't go to Super this year since its in Ft Lauderdale. I don't think you CAN win best in show anymore since iirc, I'm friends with the volunteer coordinator and I know people who know the owner of the con, you officially can't win best in show anymore.

Also you make the cons in Florida fucking great dude we always look forward to seeing what you make, my friend especially who is a way bigger mechaphile than I am. Any tips or advice for people who might want to undertake trying to build one of these? I know it's A HUGE process.
>>
>>15156600
Good luck with Genesic, man. That thing will be brutal to move about in.
>>
File: 3723.jpg (199KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
3723.jpg
199KB, 1600x900px
>>15157387
Lol Yeah I kinda figured I was starting to step on toes at some of these shows with the staff. Well regardless I don't think I would do it again anyway. I'm trying to travel to shows in other states more, its just a pain to get out of Florida if your planning to drive. My G type was built to break down alot more for ease of shipping for just that reason.

I'm glad you like my stuff. I'm always glad to bring more mecha costumes and programming to shows. Currently I am working on putting together panels and workshop ideas for future shows I attend. Currently I am planning a Gunpla workshop and a gundam cosplay helmet workshop.

My biggest advice is to not get intimidated and jump right into making something. Even if your materials aren't up to par its still more important to just get started making something since building the practical experience is the most important part of the hobby imo. My first two costumes I made with the intention of just using them to build skill and familiarity with materials and tools before making the costume I really wanted to make, which was the Alt-Eisen. From my own firsthand experience a lot of people get depressed that their first project doesn't turn out exactly how they want, others get so bogged down in research and tutorials and never accidentally even begin to make anything.

A bit of more practical advise is to make mock-ups of parts. Almost every costume I make once out of pape,cardboard or cardstock first just to get the sizing and fit right and to see how parts move and interact before building it again from the more expensive material. It may seem tedious but it can save you from having to rebuild parts. Nothing is more likely to make you quit a project early than having to rebuild large sections because you didn't bother to do your math.
>>
>>15157484
>Yeah I kinda figured I was starting to step on toes at some of these shows with the staff.
No that's not why, you didn't get picked before for a variety of dumb reasons (the owner pick exists because he ALWAYS wants OC cosplay to win). But they made a rule that ALL best in show winners cannot win that category again, not just you. I think it came with the thing that you can go to the con for free from now on, or maybe I'm remembering your prize incorrectly.

And thanks for the tips dude, me and my friend both want to undertake making a suit when we aren't as busy with work. If you ever do a panel I'm sure plenty of people will go, I got a small turn out when I did a buyfag panel at Animate and I'm literally who and didn't have access to my presentation.
>>
>>15157502
I'm not sure what you mean since I won Best in Show at super both times I competed. Your thinking of someone else perhaps? Yeah you do get lifetime passes to all the super events for the BiS award. That includes Animate and Paradise City.

Ive never done a panel at any of the super events because I didn't think there would be a large audience for it at that show since its more comic book oriented than anime. Maybe I should rethink that.
>>
>>15157484
Are you the Zeorymer guy?
>>
>>15157529
>I'm not sure what you mean since I won Best in Show at super both times I competed.
It's a new rule you can't compete for best in show more than once because it felt unfair I guess.

>Ive never done a panel at any of the super events because I didn't think there would be a large audience for it at that show since its more comic book oriented than anime. Maybe I should rethink that.
You should, especially since anime is steadily gaining a bigger share of the attention of the sfl come. If a nobody likes me made a panel about buying anime merch and people would show up I'm sure you could get a good turn out with yours if you mention in your panel description that you are a two time best in show winner.
>>
>>15157531
Nah thats not me sorry
>>15157565
Ah I see, sorry I didn't understand. Ill give the idea of a panel or workshop at one of those events a thought.
>>
>>15154583
Does the cardboard box Gundam count?
>>
>>15154583
Who is this mecha?
>>
>>15158743
Alteisen ver.EF
>>
>>15158754
Thanks!
>>
>>15156495
>A local con in Orlando called AFO does [...]
Fuck, that sounds fun as fuck.
When we did our (only) boxwar it was just my group of friends, we thought more would join but people are /nofunallowed/ here, so it was just the 12 of us bashing autistically each other with cardboard weapons in the town park.
>>
>>15155693
Check out Uberscosplay on fb you'll find him, doing a ground gundam now.
>>
zaku cosplay is a dream of mine, dont think it'll ever happen, though
>>
>>15157484
Edward Scissorhands was better
>>
File: GundamGirl_15.jpg (45KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
GundamGirl_15.jpg
45KB, 480x640px
cosplay mecha
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.