[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made season 2 so much weaker than the first?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: 1461489169554.jpg (129KB, 600x927px) Image search: [Google]
1461489169554.jpg
129KB, 600x927px
What made season 2 so much weaker than the first?
>>
>>15152471
Personally I felt it was on the same level of season 1. But I will say that while season 1 still could feel like a complete season by itself, season 2 is very much more season 1 part 2 and needs season 1 to stand on.
>>
>>15152471
I liked it and I think the seasons are much closer than people are saying. Maybe an issue is just that a lot of people weren't happy with there being a bit more light hearted moments and this season was more heavily focused on Shiro, Keith, and Allura rather than in season 1 where Pidge and Hunk got more spotlight than Keith.
>>
I thought it was about on par with the first season. My only big issue is that Shirow keeps getting most of the focus and it leaves everyone else a little lacking, even if we did hang on Keith a lot this time.

I also took issue with Allura's ridiculously unjustified space racism towards Keith, which was handled really poorly.
>>
>>15152537

Racism is always going to come across poorly because it's kind of a silly thing in reality. Hers was as justified as it's generally going to get, only lasted a few episodes and had her apologize after ward for her treatment of him. Not liking that she was racist toward him doesn't make it unjustified.
>>
S1 got to tell us new things, S2 didn't have anything new to show other than details like the secret ninja guys. It was the same show otherwise.

What I think hurts it most is that they don't seem to give many shits about Voltron. They took out the 'I'll form the head' chants which were dumb but iconic to people, but they didn't replace it with anything - Voltron just stock footages itself together to music.

And I don't expect a MOTW but they've had, what, 5 robeasts so far? And Voltron got to kill 2 or maybe 3 of them? Is that from budget issues or writing?
>>
>>15152572

I imagine it's mostly only iconic to fans of the old show. Which Legendary Defender is flirting with, but not married to. I didn't see the old show and if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't even have noticed. I don't care that the show has no theme song either for that matter, and think a decent instrumental is far more evocative than a theme song. Not that Voltron's is great, but I'd prefer a better instrumental than listening to someone sing about how great Voltron is.
>>
>>15152578
I didn't see the old show either, but people who did watch it still remember those lines even though they forgot the rest of the show. Will anyone remember new Voltron?

I'm glad they didn't ape the old show, but it feels like they removed all that stuff and didn't replace it with anything, so you get a character show with a few bland robot fights.
>>
>>15152578
Completely disagree, would much prefer an actual theme song over what we have now
>>15152590
I actually think the fights are all pretty good for the most part, there just isn't fucking enough of Voltron itself
>>
>>15152590

Strange then that I've seen more Voltron threads with no mention of it before Legendary Defender was announced and aired than ones where people mentioned that one specific thing and recalled the show due to nostalgia from moments like that.
>>
>>15152475
>>15152537
These. It also had a better finale (Blazing Sword) but I feel that the show doesn't have much of an interesting setting given that all the locale we've seen feel incredibly bland and despite all the focus given Keith is still a boring character only now he has a backstory. Removing Shiro is probably for the best given he was hogging the limelight and was a tad too perfect for the team to grow as a whole now we'll see how closely it'll follow the original's tropes much like >>15152578
anon said it's merely been flirting with it instead of following it beat to beat. Keith is definitely taking on the mantle Shiro left and we even saw him pilot the Black Lion but given all the focus this season had on bonding with the lions will he make the switch? Same goes for Lance and Allura, who is much more useful as commander of the ship than a paladin, and then there's the long awaited reveal Prince Lotor which I'm hoping that they don't make him infatuated with Allura this time around. Either way Season 3 will be a turning point into where the show will lead to from now on.
>>
>>15152590
>Will anyone remember new Voltron?
People barely remember the original as is. Hell the most high profile thing it was involved in before the remake was a 2005 Robot Chicken skit after that it was in some weird Spirit commercial and then the massive flop which was Votron Force on Nicktoons which was cancelled after one season in 2011.
>>
>>15152590
>Will anyone remember new Voltron?
I don't think you understand how popular this new show is with normies and the like.
>>
File: Voltron vs DaiZarkon.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Voltron vs DaiZarkon.webm
3MB, 720x400px
I liked it better than season 1 and the finale and Zarkon's mech were really cool in my opinion.
>>
>>15152750

Zarkon's anti-Voltron had a weird Epyon vibe going for it.
>>
File: Epyon_Box_Art.jpg (301KB, 1024x811px) Image search: [Google]
Epyon_Box_Art.jpg
301KB, 1024x811px
>>15152770
I know I liked it.
That beam whip and saber were really cool.
>>
>>15152750
SRW never =(
>>
>>15152717
Is it? I know it's popular with tumblr types because perceived homolust but I haven't seen anyone that I know at least talking about it.
>>
>>15152572
>they've had, what, 5 robeasts so far
Not counting Zarkon, 3.
>>
>>15152471
Wait season 2 is finally out?
>>
>>15152578
Nah I actually hate old Voltron and I still miss those things, you're a dumb pleb
>>
>>15154208

For like a week now.
>>
Burgers can into /m/, its trying so hard to 'break' mecha cliches but do it lousily. They should have understood the Alex Thoth critiques, learn the rules and their reasons so you can break the properly.

Seriously though, 2 seasons for blazing sword? That is just jewy
>>
>>15152471
>season 2 so much weaker than the first

I thought the first episode was shit and dropped this show immediately if season 2 is actually worse i see no reason to try again
>>
File: 132.png (485KB, 800x423px) Image search: [Google]
132.png
485KB, 800x423px
It's fine. It's average good. It's main problem is that it doesn't have the strongest grip of story ques.

The reveal of Keith having Galra blood should have been in front of everyone when the Blades went to to agree to the truce as some offhand comment like "Since you already have a Galra working for you, we will trust you" que shocked reactions by everyone and reveal. Then the following 3 episodes should have dealt with EVERYONE dealing with it in their own ways, not just "Hunk makes space racist jokes"

They need to stop flirting with the genre and commit. Be less "Avatar the last airbender but in SPACE"
>>
>>15152471
S1 wasn't much better to be fair

>>15152578
>think a decent instrumental is far more evocative than a theme song. Not that Voltron's is great, but I'd prefer a better instrumental than listening to someone sing about how great Voltron is
>there are people on /m/ who don't like actually good /m/usic
How low can one fall
>>
>>15154219
Shit, hell yeah
>>
>>15154331
Worse than what, you just admitted to not watching any of it
>>
I don't think the show is really taken advantage of it's netflix status. It's almost toothless at times.

I don't expect or want it to go as grim derp as golion was but they can't even take things seriously. Almost any time something gets a little bit tense or dramatic they have to ruin the mood with a shitty joke like the slipperies or Hunk being hungry or whatever. The show is just awful at handling tone. Even the watered down Voltron series in the 8s at least took the time to be serious when things looked grim.
>>
So, the Shamwow guy is now a VA...
>>
>>15155090
The mall episode is easily the best episode of the season, maybe even best individual episode of the show so far.
>>
>>15155099

I thought it was retarded. It wasn't funny and relied to heavily on LOL WACKY!
>>
>>15155129
>Zarkon is out to get everyone ass and prison rape it.
> Let's have a Breath Episode NOW!
>>
>>15152471
I thought it was better. Action was more interesting, jokes were funnier, and we finally got to know Keith. Only thing it messed up on backpedalling on Hunk's development and taking so long to come out. Otherwise it's a fun western mecha with more likeable characters than most shit anime has been pushing out lately.
>>
They do lay on the comedy a little too thick. Some of it is pretty funny (loved the space mall and the time loop gag) but this season could have been more Empire Strikes Back and less Space Balls.
>>
>>15155484
>taking so long to come out.
>so long
It literally came out 7 months after season 1
>>
File: 1484028915603.jpg (800KB, 1142x1750px) Image search: [Google]
1484028915603.jpg
800KB, 1142x1750px
>>15155949
Rumor is seasons 1 & 2 were supposed to be a single season but Netflix decided to divide it. If true, it explains why season 1's finale ended abruptly and season 2's quick turnaround.
>>
My biggest problem with season 2 is:

1. Season 2 is trying WAY too hard to be an anime. They are doing the worst and most annoying anime cliches from the lowest Japanese anime. It got annoying quick.

2. The episodes are exactly the same as last season; each episode focuses on 1 pilot, the pilot gets in trouble and it about to lose and....NEW POWER! This season every episode they are losing yet another battle...NEW POWER!

It's gotten old quick.
>>
The biggest problem is the lack of diversity in the pilots. There is only 1 female and zero, ZERO POC as a pilot.
>>
>>15157038
>Zero POC
>A Cuban, a Samoan, a Japanese, and a half-Korean, half-catman

I know this is bait but come on.
>>
>>15157326
>knows this is bait but falls for it
Well, it's definitely working.
>>
>>15157359
At this point, I don't care anymore
>>
File: 135.jpg (244KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
135.jpg
244KB, 1920x1080px
Season 1 had a more "cohesive narrative" with only one real episode that could have been trimmed or redone (the Space MADNESS one)

It was tight with it's arc to the point that people complained about it being rushed.

The Second Season wasn't as tight and thus felt a bit less cohesive. It also neglected certain characters and rushed to fight that was treated with gravity it hadn't earned.

They need to tighten their story, tighten their characters, stop with the "split the team" stuff and make each episode lead to the next strongly.
>>
>>15157455
We will see in S3.

Also, ready for HOT-SHOT PRINCE LOTOR?
>>
File: LotorsHarem.jpg (49KB, 486x360px) Image search: [Google]
LotorsHarem.jpg
49KB, 486x360px
Harem confirmed?
>>
>>15157455
They should have started the season by allying with the rebels and make tye main focus strategic assaults on Galran forces to weaken Zarkon for their inevitable showdown.
>>
File: mpv-shot0147.jpg (41KB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0147.jpg
41KB, 640x368px
>>15157669

It would at least bring some purpose into them farting around on all these planets. Imagine like a huge scene of all the allies they made rallying together forming their own armada to take the fight to Zarkon
>>
>>15157590
>Hoping the half-Altean theory is true
>Hoping that apart being a hot-shot, he will be a competent individual
>Hoping he will be at least nearly as badass as his father
>Hoping he will have hidden depths
>Hoping that he will pull off ridiculous stuff like infiltrating the Castle of Lions by himself only to troll the team
>Hoping he will be arrogant, but also have skills and abilities to back up said arrogance
>Hoping that he will be stylish and fabulous
>>
>>15157754
So you want Char?
>>
>>15157792
or any of the blonde protoChars from the Romance stuff
>>
>>15157792
>Char
>depth
>badass
>competent
Char was a one-dimensional fuckboy who only got anywhere because he was the one guy toodling around in a mobile suit with psychic powers. The moment other people show up with similar abilities, he's fucking donezel washington.
>>
>>15157858

BUT HE WAS IN THE ORIGINAL! THAT MEANS HE'S THE BEST!
>>
>>15157590
Absolutely harem
>>
>>15152471
Because we don't have Svenshiro's inevitable death to look forward to.
>>
>>15157808
>Sharkin 2.0

please yes
>>
>>15155949
I don't mind that wait, I was talking about how the fandom looks like it shit the bed in the meantime. The original December release might have made it less awful.
>>
>>15163911

Nah, one or two months wouldn't have made shit difference. The fanbase just cares about the gay and because everyone binge watches that's all that's left to discuss week to week
>>
>>15157792
Char is a terrible character
>>
>>15152471
>What made season 2 so much weaker than the first?
G-reco
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.