[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a realistic battle tactic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 1484406331071[1].webm (3MB, 960x408px) Image search: [Google]
1484406331071[1].webm
3MB, 960x408px
Is this a realistic battle tactic?
>>
>>15108121

>Moonraker on /m/

Totally underrated Bond film
>>
>>15108121
Should have used semi circles tbqh famalam
>>
>>15108121
Yes.
>>
>>15108121
I love how half of them are just spinning randomly out of control and shit just blows up everywhere.
>>
>>15108121
It would make much more sense to have drones flying around with the human operators working together in a larger more heavily armored ship.
>>
>>15109126
I think my favorite part is the 26 second mark, where the guy breeches the hull just by lighting bumping into it.
>>
>>15108121

Yes, but its failing to account for recoil. Those space marines should be pushing themselves backwards every time they shoot.

Lasers have recoil, its usually just very little. Lasers strong enough to kill a man at a distance would have a lot.
>>
>>15109559
They also have some sort of extravehicular maneuver unit which is (slowly) propelling them so they're fine from the recoil. At least I think they're supposed to have extravehicular units.
>>
>>15108121
>realistic
maybe
>intelligent
not remotely

Sure, the Brits used to stand in formation when they shot at each other so the idea of a society making war like this isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility. It is, however, utterly retarded.
Everyone is firing from the hip, none of the weapons have any sights of any kind that would enable you to actually aim (which I guess is why they get stupidly close to each other before firing) and they seem to have no concept of the use of cover.

Shields have been a thing for a few millenia. Shiro Amada could solo this entire battle sheerly by virtue of the fact that he had the sense to hide behind a metal plate when approaching his enemy in open space.
>>
File: James-Bind-Astin-Martin-V8.png (367KB, 808x371px) Image search: [Google]
James-Bind-Astin-Martin-V8.png
367KB, 808x371px
How /m/ is James Bond?

Most of his cars have more weapons systems than an average mech.
>>
File: pizzaz gawk.jpg (89KB, 901x597px) Image search: [Google]
pizzaz gawk.jpg
89KB, 901x597px
>>15108121

It doesn't make any sense for the defending team to advance out into the open like that.
>>
>>15109644
>and they seem to have no concept of the use of cover.

IN SPACE?!
>>
Hori shit, why there isn't more cero gravity combat in movies?, it looks awesome
>>
>>15109895
Yes, nimrod, IN SPACE.
The guys who were defending the space station have absolutely no reason to float out into the open like that. The guys who were attacking the station have no excuse for not drifting up while hiding behind a crate, a loose armor plate, a big fucking rock, ANYTHING.

An intelligent military operation would have had weapons with sights on them, fired from behind inert cover (empty crates from the shuttle's cargo bay if nothing else) and the defending team firing from behind the space station not getting out in front of it.
>>
>>15109974
>bringing less soldiers on the shuttle because you were wasting cargo mass on non-combatant crates
Plan rejected.
>>
It's been a while since I saw Moonraker. Was there ever any indication given that battles in space had happened before? If not, I'm willing to forgive just about any kind of tactical idiocy.
>>
>>15109987
>bring only a few more soldiers
or
>bring additional equipment for use as cover that effectively multiplies your force

Gee, I wonder what's the sensible option here.
>>
>>15109644
>the Brits used to stand in formation when they shot at each other so the idea of a society making war like this isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility
>"I don't know anything about early modern warfare"

The invention of flintlocks muskets meant guns could now consistently penetrate plate armor, meaning that armor was now useless on the battlefield save for cavalrymen who would be consistently in melee. This included shields as well. However, muskets were inaccurate and had long reload times. The only way to ensure that some bullets were hitting the enemy was to fire mass volleys.

In addition, it's worth noting that not every single battle was just people standing in an open field shooting at each other. A lot of a battle was maneuvering your troops so you could stand in a line and shoot the enemy from a better position than they could shoot you. Cover was also used often, and quite a few battles took place in woods or areas where they were dips and rises in the terrain.

Furthermore, guns didn't make horses disappear, and again were inaccurate and took a long time to reload. If the soldiers weren't in formation, they'd get run down by cavalry easily. A horse will charge at a lone man, but it won't charge at a wall of sharp objects. Musket formations used to include pikes alongside the guns until the bayonet was invented, meaning that a formation could be comprised of only muskets.

Only faster-loading weapons and machine guns would change this, as foot soldiers gained the ability to kill charging cavalry before they reached them. Also, improvements in accuracy and reload times meant it was now possible to accurately hit more people from further away than ever before.

tl;dr: Early modern warfare was more complex than people standing in lines and shooting, and the reasons they had for doing so were very legitimate.

/autism
>>
>>15108121
I miss goofy Bond.
>>
It's what Gundam was originally supposed to be.
>>
>>15109457
Yeee the problem is there's big probability that enemy are handling somekind of cyberwarfare that will fuck those drones over and over, since they're fighting an equally advance opponents, not just some mumbo jumbos. Also, they're not tactically flexible.
>>
>>15110007
Bringing cover into space will net you so much of energy problems. Also, it will hinder much of the soldiers and wasting his precious oxygen. If you want cover then you'll better go to the nearest build up point.
>>
>>15110491
but some zakus did moves like that in MSG

low budget=realistic
>>
>>15110491
Gundam is supposed to be a Madox/experimental Landmates kind of "Gunboy" unit that has miniaturized propellant system onboard to able the soldiers maneuvering in space as fast, easy, and surviveable while remains a small target.

A pretty good idea i think, an astromariners blazing through space with their powersuits, triying to get throught each other with the support of space gunships.
>>
>>15110545
Missing the point. Mobile Suits are called such because in the original concept, they were suits. Executive meddling turned them into robots.
>>
>>15109931
i miss battlestar galactica's fights. hypest shit ever when they just.
>>
File: prod-01.gif (47KB, 295x400px) Image search: [Google]
prod-01.gif
47KB, 295x400px
>>15110576
Jeeze, imagine if the Mobile Suit was looks like pic related.

It'll be pretty much baller i think.
>>
>>15108121

>Producer: Well, Star Wars was a huge smash. Can we put James Bond in space?
>>
Shit, now I want to play some Shattered Horizon.

Pretty sure there are servers up for that, but it's not heavily populated.
>>
>>15108121
No
>>
>>15110513
Exactly, the second your opponent develops space drones you develop space chaff to nullify their practical use. The only options are to put humans on the battlefield or let robots think for themselves, which is how humans die.
>>
I look forward to the next month of bitter hate-filled arguments over the one of the goofiest Bond sequences ever.
>>
>>15113344
But robots have shit situational awareness and human/AI thought so far has easily beaten AI thought.
>>
>>15108121
Nobody has ever tried it yet or needed to try it.
>>
>>15108121
It's somewhere around an 18th century Napoleonic line up and shoot mentality.

>>15113344
>space chaff

yeah good luck with that, i think you guys should not base your opinions on modern war from MGS
>>
>>15108121
This is amazing on every level.
>>
>>15115163
>yeah good luck with that, i think you guys should not base your opinions on modern war from MGS

ECM and chaff are a thing for decades m8, don't be retarded.
>>
>>15113344
>let robots think for themselves

Oh no we're not fall for it again Cyberdyne
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.