[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getter Robo watchlist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: getter robo armageddon.jpg (328KB, 1600x1560px) Image search: [Google]
getter robo armageddon.jpg
328KB, 1600x1560px
Sup /m/, I've been meaning to get into Getter Robo but the old TV shows art does not appeal to me.

Would I have to force myself through the old stuff first or can I start with Armageddon immeadietly?
>>
>>15107552
I should add that I am okay with shows from the 80s onwards, but stuff before that is too old.
>>
Most of the anime makes very little sense without the manga. Many set pieces and ideas are pulled out of the manga with little explanation. Getter Robo Armaggedon is sequel to an audio only story, and pulls ideas from the manga Shin Getter and Getter Robo Go along with Arc. Shin vs. Neo Getter is a fast pace adaption of Getter Robo Go with a lot of changes, and actually adapts a fight from the original manga. New Getter which came after is about as most stand alone as it gets, with only a bit of referencing to Shin and Arc near the end. If you aren't interested in reading yet, you can dip your feet into that and see if you want to continue. If you're fine with not understanding some stuff you can watch it in any order really, but I highly recommend reading the manga.
>>
>>15107565

Thanks, I guess I will check out the shows first. I mainly want to watch it because it's mecha with more violence because Go Nagai
>>
File: b96.gif (972KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
b96.gif
972KB, 500x371px
>>15107565
>Getter Robo Armaggedon is sequel to an audio only story

It should be said that those in Japan who listened to the audio-only story were pretty goddamned confused as well. It wasn't until about 3/4ths of the way through that shit got explained, and that was after a director change in episode, what, 4?

I'd recommend watching it with at least the subtitles on for the first 3 episodes. While the dub (should you choose to watch it for some awesome screaming) is very good, the first three episodes feature some awkward re-writes to try and "cover up" some plot points that mention things that a western fan would have had no clue about.
Ironically, the subtitles just translated it straight, and the show continues on unabated after the first 3 episodes like the overwriting never happened.

New Getter could be a better for a "beginner," but Armageddon was my first experience with Getter Robo after playing through Super Robot Wars 3. So it's not like you need a ton of experience with the franchise before diving in.

Besides, New Getter is kind of "The Ryoma Show, guest-starring those other guys," which isn't as fun as the other Getter OVAs.
>>
File: 1396967604794.png (662KB, 1650x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1396967604794.png
662KB, 1650x1300px
>>15107583
The man who made the series was Ken Ishikawa, but Go had a hand in it for sure. If you want a lot of violence and good starting point go with New I guess. Since it is a starting point. Then work your way to either Shin vs. Neo or Armageddon. But just keep the manga in mind.
>>
>>15107586
Armaggedon was my first as well when I was a kiddo. But it can be a lot to take in for newcomer. I rate New below the other two OVAs I just think it is a bit easier to get adjusted to the characters in a sense.
>>
>>15107592
That's more than fair enough. I just had to realize I was going along for one hell of a bizarre ride.

Although, I kinda wish there was a more straightforward Getter anime than "Getter Robo: The New Generation," "Getter Robo: RIP AND TEAR FOREVER," or "Getter Robo: Ryoma's Show" to introduce people to. It's kinda hard to get a solid footing on the franchise for beginners.
>>
I haven't seen a "watch guide" or "beginners guide" for getter robo (gundam and votoms have one), so I had to ask here.

Thanks everyone for helping out.
>>
>>15107594
A straight adaptation of the manga is one of my biggest dreams. But I doubt it would ever happen. New kind of got close, but messed around with things enough to not be. Which I suppose can be as good as it can be bad.
>>
>>15107592
I think Armageddon or the manga is the best starting point. I honestly don't think New should be watched first because things are the most different there when you get down to brass tacks. I also ultimately think that you will only get thru maximum enjoyment of New from silly knowing the series. There's a LOT of throwbacks and changing up of key details.

I always say start manga or Armageddon then go production order for the rest. You do not have to watch Toei by any means, honestly Toei Getter is probably best saved for last as busy a fun way of getting more Getter.
>>
>>15107565
>>15107586
The radio drama was made after Armageddon.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.