[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mgg/ - Mecha Games General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 302
Thread images: 47

File: ble-pacotao.jpg (749KB, 819x700px) Image search: [Google]
ble-pacotao.jpg
749KB, 819x700px
/tg/ meets /m/

"Brazilian otaku edition"

For reference, here's a link to every English-language mecha RPG I know of, plus more:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zFc57wN7noNauUzpeNB5Wr1vxSNMwG83eTCmeQVMP4g/edit

Mekton Z, Battle Century G, Battletech, Heavy Gear, Mecha, homebrews, whatever -- bring it on!

Previous thread:
>>15040182
>>
>>15100770
And you opened up with one I've never heard of. Talk!
>>
>>15100790

Well, apparently Brigada Ligeira Estelar (Star Light Brigade) is "a campaign setting created by Alexandre Lancaster for 3D&T, a Brazilian tabletop role-playing game from Editora Jambô. It's a mecha/space opera/swashbuckling setting, with a heavy influence of classic sci-fi anime like Mobile Suit Gundam, Captain Harlock, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Star Blazers. Giant robots and officers are baptized from old cavalry nomenclatures like Hussars, Spearmen and Dragoons. The main book contains an extensive timeline and many character templates, including military characters, space pirates (and corsairs), psionics, noblemen, mercenaries and others."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigada_Ligeira_Estelar

Untranslated AFAIK
>>
I've played a bunch of fan translated SRW games. Should I pick up Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers if I haven't played the GBA ones or just wait for SRW V?
>>
>>15101237
You totally can.
Moon Dwellers is a complete remake of the story of J though; and while you'll know things better if you've played the playstation OGs they're huge changes -especially mechanically- over the old GBA OGs.

If you're used to SRW it'll stand alone well enough on its own, but plenty of the older characters have their stories already done, as have the early alphas to a point (let's just say all is set for @3 in the next main game now).

Kinda sucks that the J protagonists are set to specific mechs (no Raftclans for the guy, no coustwell brachium for the girl) though, but not having to play through like four waves of enemies every single map does make up for it.

Be ready: the Engrish is far more present than the fan translation games.

"BUSKAR MOHDO!"
>>
>>15101443
>no coustwell brachium for the girl
You can do it, but it's not available until late in the game, it's lacking its finisher, and there's no practical reason to do it because Bellzelute got buffed to all hell.

Putting Touya in the Brachium until he unlocks Infinity Calibur actually isn't a bad idea if you can swing the upgrade funding.
>>
File: border-break-20_004.jpg (121KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
border-break-20_004.jpg
121KB, 1024x600px
Will we ever get to play Border Break?
>>
>>15101443
>TO THE DARKNESS OF VOLDA! .... FALL DOWN!!!

It sounds so silly, though damn if that's not the prettiest use of time-stop ever.
>>
>>15100583
>>15100760
BRP Mecha does some weird things.

The thing with the different colored counters is really, really poorly explained. Like I have no fucking idea what they're even supposed to do outside of a few specific situations, and those rules are scatted all over the fucking book and don't even seem to have any meaningful purpose at all. I just ended up dropping the counters shit completely for the one time I tried running it.

The mecha building is pretty neat. It seems weird at first because there's no points system or anything like that, it's not meant to be a "balanced" a la carte construction system, instead it's based entirely around emulating what mecha do on screen in their respective media, or based on their technical info, or how you WANT the mecha to perform. Players aren't meant to build their own custom machines, GMs are supposed to do it before the game, or work with the GM if they want to let players have their own custom mech.

The actual building of a mecha is super easy since all you do is eyeball everything. All you have to do is pull up the technical specs off MAHQ or something and compare to the various charts in the book for what the game stats are. If you don't have technical specs for a particular machine they give you advice on how to eyeball what stats to give something based on how it's meant to work in-universe. It's pretty great. My only real complaints are 1) the descriptions of the various armor levels make it sound like you don't have a lot of variety, going by descriptions alone 90% of every military mecha will have the same exact armor, but actual stats-wise there's a huge potential for ranges and types; and 2) some of the weapons do a pathetic amount of damage, like a 30mm autocannon will barely scratch the hood of a car the majority of the time.

All in all it's not a BAD system if you know/like BRP, but honestly there are far better choices.
>>
>>15101237
>>15101443
>>15101732
For future reference, these threads are about tabletop games, not vidya.

I can't blame you though, OP really should be more specific.
>>
>>15100770
>"Brazilian otaku edition"

The random character generator of that game is great.
Easily on par with the Maid RPG's.
>>
>>15101826

My bad, I thought mentioning /tg/ would make it clear. I forget that not everyone knows what every board name means.
>>
>>15101874

Man, a translation would be super welcome. Le sigh. Or perhaps I should say "el sigh"?
>>
>>15101915
Somebody did something to that effect on /tg/ a while ago, I think.
>>
>>15101915
portuguese doesnt use el.

Also the creator of this rpg, is super knowledge-full of /m/shit.
>>
>>15101936
>Also the creator of this rpg, is super knowledge-full of /m/shit.
It's disgusting how rare that actually is among mecha RPG authors.
>>
This is probably a better place to post this than /tg/, but I have a game anecdote.

I'm the guy playing in the BCG campaign alongside the Basara homage and shit got real in session 1.

We ended up fighting basically the Earth Cult from LoGH, ridiculously fanatical cultists. My character was a tough talking know-all who had built a mech that was pretty much Gunleon - a multi-purpose repair and demolition unit designed to perform starship maintenance and break up wrecks.

She had never actually considered how nasty it gets when you use water cutters, cranes and angle grinders on technicals and shit outdated tanks, and massively overkilled a terrorist vehicle.

The GM described the scene as basically like when the Nirvash goes to town in Eureka Seven. Then described the remaining bad guys either killing themselves to avoid capture or trying to bring down her mech by ramming it or small arms fire.

I've seen enough robot anime to know that this usually ends badly for the character's mental state but at the same time I don't want Fafner tier despair or even worse to turn into a Kio Asuno/Hayate Immelman "I avoid the cockpits every time". She knew what she signed up for, this was just a really fucked up first mission.

I am thinking for the next battle she deliberately wouldn't use all the overkill weapons, because seeing a guy cut in half as his tank is crushed is a bad business.

At the same time the rockstar in his sound force mech did smash a transport full of smuggled arms into the ground as it took off with a fuckhuge hammer, and comes across as Mika from IBO except shouting LISTEN TO MY SONG instead of MUH TEKKADAN
>>
>>15101981
Go the practical way.
>"I feel kinda bad about tearing those guys apart so literally, so I've installed debilitating weaponry".

Put on ion cannons (er, in the star wars sense), and hideously disabling shock or stun weapons designed to make anyone in the crew section foam at the mouth a few hours and scorches hydraulic lines and servo motors.
>>
>>15102368
I've chatted with the GM and that's what we decided. All the existing weapons have been disabled (and locked behind a Layzner-esque computer with a "use if pilot is about to die" failsafe, and she now uses a Patlabor-style EMP baton.
>>
>>15102390
Good.
It's important, if you aren't one, to remember that a lot of engineers have very strong problem-solving instincts. It's not so much a source of resilience as being a little broken already in a way (at least that's what the wife complains).

So when something goes wrong, the more obsessive ones (like someone who builds a mech from scratch...) are seeing almost more of an *excuse* for solutions than something to break down over.

On the one hand don't ever ask your engineer buddy to replace you for a morning of greetings at the funeral home, but on the other, they're sometimes too autistic to shut down in some of the most morale-breaker moments.
>>
File: 1483633926953.png (310KB, 764x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483633926953.png
310KB, 764x1080px
>>15102402
Thanks for the advice. I've been GMing for a long time so it's really interesting getting back into the head of one character rather than playing the whole world.

My last campaign was distinctly less heavy shit, it was a very heroic fantasy mecha game and this one is Iron Blooded Orphans with crazy religious terrorists.
>>
Would anyone here be interested in trying to play a game of whatever system?

I would volunteer to run, but I don't know anything about these systems and I've also never ran anything before.
>>
>>15102421
I'm running two games already though... Only one way to learn, anon!

What style or themes interest you though? Narrowing it down would help.
>>
>>15102427
>What style or themes
I'm down for pretty much everything, actually. I'd be fine with playing whatever the GM feels comfortable running.

I've actually tried running twice before, but my anxiousness regarding everyone else having fun makes it really hard to do it properly, ending up with me always feeling like it's going badly.
>>
>>15100770
TARSIANS GET THE FUCK OUT REEEEEEE
>>
>>15101825
I like BRP, and my experience running BRP Mecha mirrors this.

Any recs for a mecha game or subsystem that could bolted onto BRP that could do Macross?
>>
>>15102486
A macross flavored game of mercs having to actually spend money repairing and upgrading their machines
>>
>>15102487
Don't do it personal cash, do it as department budget.

That includes transport, support and all that; how they get to the mission (whether with fold boosters, or onboard the company's Quarter) and whatnot. Work it more with the big numbers and a rogue-trader style profit-factor system rather than "I have 1299981 creds, anyone can spare me the other 19?"
>>
>>15102526
>Don't do it personal cash, do it as department budget.
Obviously. But any suggestions on which of the many mecha rpgs to use for mecha being used by a merc unit. Something like the grit of Votoms but with SDF/Plus levels of tech.
>>
>>15102486
Depends on what parts of Macross you want to emphasize. If you want a lot of the Fold Wave musical tie in stuff then something less mechanics heavy and more effects focused might work better, like Fate.

If you want a stronger emphasis on the transforming robot fighter jet dogfights and walking AA platforms duking it out with alien giants, I found this google drive folder some time back that has stats for nearly everything using Mekton Zeta:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B2MWVpzB0HSIcjdnbjRXMDVxS28

If you want a mix of both, god help you.
>>
>>15101936
>>15101945
Also a pretty cool guy. Wouldn't be hard to actually go ask him for an English version if there's enough demand/market for it.

Robot Fortress BR esteve aqui
>>
>>15103292
>If you want a stronger emphasis on the transforming robot fighter jet dogfights and walking AA platforms duking it out with alien giants, I found this google drive folder some time back that has stats for nearly everything using Mekton Zeta:
>https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B2MWVpzB0HSIcjdnbjRXMDVxS28

Bruh

>If you want a mix of both, god help you.

Only if I ended up with players who want to make the galaxy listen to their song
>>
>>15102835
System choice can be a tough one. A lot of them are more tactical, being turn-based and all, so much of the speed and feel we get from videogames and anime can be thoroughly missing often enough. Making up for it... varies.
>>
>>15104144
Cribbing a system that uses relative range bands or abstract zones instead of counting hexes or squares goes a long way to keep that feeling of speed, especially for air and space combat.

Edge of the Empire, the Star Wars RPG by FFG, might be good to look at for ideas, as well as Fate Core. Even if you're not playing those systems, they can give you a picture of how those ways of tracking range and movement work.
>>
>>15104356
Well, conceptually FFG's was decent, but in practice it made Only War's beta look like a golden standard of equipment and vehicle design.

>You mean the one where the empty tube launcher for unguided rockets is 35kg and every individual missile just a single kilogram?
Yes
>The book where the single-target, specialized anti-tank Vanquisher round was significantly weaker against armor than a regular HE detonation, and it took weeks of arguing to get the devs to understand the how and why?
That one
>The one where a single 25kg ammo backpack can hold 80 lasgun shots - just 30% more than your half-kilo chargepack - but 200 autocannon rounds each the size of your arm (assuming you have big arms) without weighing a single gram more whether it's full or empty, despite literally being only a non-dimensional, non-gravitic, piece of canvas with two straps?
Nah they never fixed that or the launcher or any other number of things.

AND THEN we get into the encumbrance system of starfighters, and the wonky defense system that makes a retarded untrained rookie at the helm of a star destroyer more likely to dodge any incoming fire than Wedge Antilles in an A-Wing, on crack, and no that's not some abstract "in total", it's the actual dodging and missing part, the armor and whatnot are separate.

Oh and you basically can't find the room for two pistols in the cargo section (yes, they had one) of an X-wing, but you can fit a power-armored wookie in the cockpit no problem.

Hope you like having no comms, either; since they're slaved to your sensor range most fighters need to be in dogfighting reach of their mothership to talk to it. Also you're *blind* outside your sensor range. As in "can't see the incoming planet for the space" blind by pure RAW.

The mess goes on and on......
>>
>>15104814
That's cool, but did you read the post you're replying to? It isn't even talking about anything related to any of that.
>>
>>15104814

>greentext on the badness of minutia

>>15104356

>literally just saying maybe the abstraction of range might be a good idea for modeling space robots fighting over large spaces at high speeds

I hate FATE and it's derivatives, but I was definitely planning on using a large amount of abstraction for air/space fighting
>>
>>15104829
FFG's utterly plagued mechanically in pretty much all of its games when it comes to equipment and vehicles. Other than for the 'idea' of the abstract rangebands, you basically can't use the system for much else.
>>
>>15105321
And literally all that post is talking about is the idea of range bands, so what's your point?
>>
File: m seal of approval.jpg (122KB, 576x513px) Image search: [Google]
m seal of approval.jpg
122KB, 576x513px
>>15101981
>a multi-purpose repair and demolition unit designed to perform starship maintenance and break up wrecks

That's actually a really cool, unusual, original, interesting mecha concept. Much love!
>>
>>15105655
That sounds like a standard salvage crew in Traveller.
>>
>>15105693
The GM's face when the wreck you're salvaging has a completely functional powerplant and they're going to walk out with completely legal 24MCr easy
>>
>>15105693

Yeah, but a single giant robot that does it, that's neato.
>>
>>15105655
Admittedly I just used pic related from SRW Z for a basis
>>
>>15106197

I never actually realized that was GunLeon's function. I thought it was a construction mech that was customized for combat.
>>
Do any of the systems boast a sensible use of some realspace or FTL drives as weapons?

I mean, if your "standard" thrusters are antimatter pion torches, it would be reasonable that your retros make for potentially vicious grasers.
>>
>>15106601

now that's what I call Extremely Specific
>>
>>15106601
I've lost my previous harddrive so I can't pull anything out specific (anyone have a link to a torrent of GURPS?) but I BELIEVE that book 4 of GURPS Spaceships covered exactly this (along with overlay armor and various mecha systems): using drives as weapons.

I know what I'm looking for but this laptop is literally three days old, so I've got nothing to read on here.
>>
>>15106825
>overlay armor

Explain?
>>
>>15106840
Oh that's one of my favorite parts of the spaceships bits.

You basically design a second spaceship usually at least a size class larger, allowing the smaller one to dock into it as its command module. It's not all lost, either; even your engines and all that work (although if you're pushing a bigger craft you'll want more).

As I recall there's even a rule letting you purge the thing to avoid getting murdered by an incoming hit.

Unfortunately though, weapon scaling is not the best for "bombers vs capitals" in GURPS spaceships, but a few adjustments or just the right choice of weapons (ghost particle in particular if you want a SHMUP-like capship hunter, though you'll be burning your skill points on a very specific weapon system there) will let you deal with that.

On the other hand, the right control rig will literally let you do kung-fu with the Macross, all supported by the rules.
>>
>>15106840
Things like the Dendrobium Orchis, or TF's Brigandine
>>
File: Vambrace Brigandine.jpg (831KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Vambrace Brigandine.jpg
831KB, 1500x1000px
>>15106863
Sorry. Forgot pic.

Other example (also named brigandine) was the Bellzelute's upgrade in SRW J/MD, or the Geant Chevalier.
https://youtu.be/tYPS6G2e3bQ?t=3m57s
>>
File: fanon-vf-11c-armored-dropboxers.gif (100KB, 535x800px) Image search: [Google]
fanon-vf-11c-armored-dropboxers.gif
100KB, 535x800px
>>15106858
>>15106863

I see. I would've expected something more like the Armored Valkyrie or the Fullarmor Gundam.
>>
>>15106875
Those are included (Bellzelute Brigandine's a full-armor basically).
>>
>>15101910
>Forgot that /v/tards are the densest Fuckin people
Ftfy
Anyway, whats the best system for suoer robot shenanigans?
>>
>>15106966
probably either Battle Century G or Strike! RPG
>>
Silhouette does VOTOMS through the less plot-armored Gundams quite well.

Mekton fits a mix of regular and supers better on that crunch and depth level.

BCG/Z fits super-types and more abstract/simple mechanics though.
>>
>>15106997

I see Strike! mentioned a lot in these threads. Does it have a mecha supplement, or mecha rules? Am I missing something?
>>
>>15106379
As I recall Land runs a scrap company? It would explain how they tie his story in with Gundam X and Xabungle.
>>
>>15107391
It's a meme game from /tg/.

It's a homebrew of 4e D&D trying to turn it into a multi-genre "generic" system, it's not that good at all and the best praise it deserves is "mediocre at best."

Why people insist on saying it's good for mecha games I have no idea, because it's not. At all. It comes from this stupid idea that you could use the "classes" from 4e as different mecha types, with their powers as systems, and use a super light system for out of mecha stuff. Thing is using that "refluffing" logic you could use literally any game ever just as well.
>>
>>15107537
Why would you even do that... The classes wouldn't even lend themselves well to that, and the system itself had been divisive.

You'd think if you were going to refluff something, it would at least be a tick-based system (like unchained heroes, hackmaster and a few others). Something that would fit the idea of macross,etc much better, with actions and movement far more often by everyone
>>
>>15108737
Different anon reporting in. I recognize that kinda thing, but not an adapted system, plain old 5e or 3.Xe. Though that's specifically from dozens of cyberpunk threads where you have people from the shadowrun thread saying all other (specifically 2020) systems are garbage, the same people everytime that troll anons with "what is/isn't cyberpunk" forced meta-arguements, AND "why not just reskin pathfinder/5e/etc" comments.
So I don't know how serious and widespread the whole reskinning movement goes.
>>
>>15108961
... I'm unfortunately one of those that can only find pathfinder players (formerly 3.5 players, formerly 3.0 players, formerly 2e players who couldn't stand the thought of skills&powers....) in real life, and so I can assure you those who play pathfinder will try to adapt it to everything.

It's so clunky and full of holes that the time it takes to attain basic system mastery - which unfortunately is higher than the adventure paths would ever require; the devs are REALLY shit at math since 3.0 - ensures no one wants to ever lose that time to something else. That goes double for any system that they can almost SMELL being mechanically better a mile away.

Star wars but in pathfinder, shadowrun but in pathfinder, star trek but in pathfinder, mario kart but in pathfinder, AD&D but in pathfinder (no really), gamma world but in pathfinder...

No, none of those were added as a joke.

Most pathfinder groups would rather break their brains over doing this than learn anything else.

ONE online group I was actually booted from just before the holidays because we couldn't see eye to eye; that is to say I too often "trolled" and "distracted" them by suggesting we could use an existing system to, say, play heavy gear. I'd get a good 2 minutes of whining from just naming other systems, about how those weren't any good, how there was no point, how it was so much easier to just reskin and houserule half of pathfinder's books to pull it off instead, how we'd have heard about this system if it wasn't trash...

A lot of desperate delusion, really.

Spending an hour mid-session with the GM and two of the five players babbling on and on and on and on about an anime about how they'd stat gotenks or vegeta in pathfinder, or about how they'd stat their favorite 'fabulous' muscle men and their stands, however, while the rest of us waited on our turn because it's in the middle of combat, that apparently was never distracting.

I don't miss'em much.
>>
>>15109090
>It's so clunky and full of holes that the time it takes to attain basic system mastery - which unfortunately is higher than the adventure paths would ever require; the devs are REALLY shit at math since 3.0 - ensures no one wants to ever lose that time to something else. That goes double for any system that they can almost SMELL being mechanically better a mile away.
3.5 had its share of problems, but Paizo has a truly special talent for mechanical stupidity. It's genuinely impressive sometimes. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the same boat. It's damn tough to find people willing to play anything else.
>>
If you have a problem finding people who'll play anything but d20/3.5/PF games, try Mutants and Masterminds, it's based on the same system but makes it fully classless with point based customization, and is a million times better than default d20.
Technically it's capeshit but you can build and play mecha in it VERY easily, and I'm not talking about stretching the logic of the system like the 4e/Strike faggots either, there's official material dedicated to it.
2e has a whole book called "Mecha and Manga," and 3e's Gadget Guides cover heavy weapons, vehicles, and mecha.

Those kind of "3.5/PF or nothing" people might accept it easier because it's based on the same system with a huge pile of "house rules" on top. They'll probably accept it easier became for some completely fucking retarded reason those idiots tend to have zero problem accepting d20 with so many houserules it's practically unrecognizable but won't even think about trying a "new" system.
>>
This is a goddamn super-interesting thread. You gentle/m/en rule. Anyway!

>>15108737
>it would at least be a tick-based system (like unchained heroes, hackmaster and a few others). Something that would fit the idea of macross,etc much better, with actions and movement far more often by everyone

Hmmm, eh? Not familiar with Unchained Heroes, nor Hackmaster -- could some explanation/elaboration be offered?
>>
File: keiserephes.jpg (72KB, 779x433px) Image search: [Google]
keiserephes.jpg
72KB, 779x433px
>>15110180
Tick based systems usually start at 0 and go up. It can be seconds or tenths of seconds or whatever.

In Hackmaster, anyone who hasn't reached their initiative roll yet is in surprise. This is where crossbows shine; if you're loaded and go first, you could loose a bolt into someone on like Tick 1 without needing to worry about them dodging or using their shield. Aiming will take time, reloading will take time, everything takes time, not turns.

Movement is usually x/tick. Sprinting and charges might need a second or two of speeding up and down, though, which means someone fast enough or seeing it from far enough could set their polearm against you; whether you see it in time (remember braveheart?) and stop yourself, risk yourself, or whether you run clean into it, well, that depends on your abilities.

Casting a spell takes time; during that time is when you could be interrupted or whatever. As soon as an action's done, you can generally just act right away again. Fire off your arrow, drop the weapon and take 1-2 ticks to draw your sword, start moving... Instead of turns, everyone's always DOING SOMETHING.

That's the biggest advantage; the level of attention and involvement is much higher. You can't just tab out for ten minutes knowing there's three other people taking their damn time with their turn before it's even the enemies. At any moment you can move, abort actions, start something else, counterattack, and so on and so forth. If your action resolves and/or completes on 14, you can declare and start the next one right on 15. maybe you're also moving, maybe you're not, but you're a lot more engaged for it.
>>
>>15110960

Ohhhh I see. Huh! This is pretty much the same as a system I've been working on -- I should have known I didn't think of it first. Well, thanx for the info.

Um... Anyone got links to these games? I've searched /tg/'s PDFshare document, and can't seem to gets me no workin' linx. Halp?
>>
>>15112397
try 7chan for Hackmaster: my copies are a bit too physical to fit in a USB slot.

my copy's not cleaned since it's legit, but the documentation and basic rules should be here for unchained:
http://www.unchainedheroes.com/downloads/
>>
>>15112442

Oh nice, thanks! And actually, I found a copy of Hackmaster to DL. This is gonna be fascinating research.
>>
>>15112954
It's truly unfortunate the direction they then went in come their DMG (which took years. literally years, to come out after the PHB... which is a problem) because that init system worked amazingly well.
>>
>>15112963

Which are we talking about? Hackmaster? And what unfortunate direction do you mean?
>>
>>15103460
t.Guilherme Lizeo
>>
>>15113130
They turned back around on plans for a lot of things including magical items and some progression. Basically, 4-5 years between books... shows.

Although, read that big green hardcover monster manual. It is one of the greatest bestiaries you will ever have the honor of holding in your hands.
>>
Any anon have scans or scanlations of the Gumdam Mekton game?
>>
>>15114647
No.

But!

There's an anon around here who bought the game recently, and has received it. He has said that he bought it expressly for the purpose of disassembling it and scanning it in.

I've chimed in and offered translations of large chunks of the text, once he scans it in.
>>
File: 1367593200478.jpg (108KB, 430x359px) Image search: [Google]
1367593200478.jpg
108KB, 430x359px
>>15115862
>>
>>15100770
>>15101057
Oh boy, I've always wanted to try that one out with my fellow BR /m/en, then I always remember, I don't have any.
>>
>>15113331
>tfw I'm a brazilian tranny
>>
>>15116561
... you're still a dude.
Just because you have long hair and "feel" like you want to be a woman doesn't mean you aren't a guy.
>>
>>15116609

Don't go there dude. This isn't the place. Reported.
>>
File: 20170117_005926.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_005926.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>15115862
i dont have a scanner but i'll take about 4 pictures of each page up close with my camera so the text is clear
>>
File: 20170117_010250.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_010250.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>15116798
will this do?
>>
File: 20170117_010258.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_010258.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>15116802
I skipped the table of contents pages and went straight to the first section, war history
>>
File: 20170117_010344.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_010344.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>15116809
the history section is pretty long, it goes from page 22 to page 120
>>
File: 20170117_010354.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_010354.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>15116814
this is the last of the first page, let me know if you would rather skip to the rules section.

i'll pause here and wait for replies
>>
>>15116819

I'd advise not taking this approach. The photos are too blurry, and you'll be at this forrrrevvvvverrrrr.

Wait for anon who said he'd scan it in, will be better.
>>
>>15116814
>>15116819
i'll probably retake these
i just noticed the blur
>>
>>15116825
i am the anon that said i'd scan it
its just gonna be a while before i can access a scanner
>>
File: Robots-Galore.jpg (466KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Robots-Galore.jpg
466KB, 1024x768px
Got recommended the SRW franchise and decided to start with OG since it was English. Finished Ryousai's campaign the other night and was quite satisfied. However I didn't earn enough battle masteries for the bonus mission I've read about.

Starting on kyosuke's campaign and trying to adhere to the masteries but I'm finding it a lot less enjoyable rushing everything.

Don't think I'll jump into OG2 immediately once I'm done though and I've had AG recommended in multiple places so I might go straight to that.
>>
>>15116891
Newgame+ bonuses of a 3rd or 4th run will get you what you need to pull those off easily, if I recall.

But, not a bad idea to avoid burning yourself out. They're not exactly short games after all.
>>
>>15116891
>>15116930
See
>>15101826
>>
>>15116891
Now wait for SRW V.

The first SRW game in English that features licensed shows.

Only available from internet stores since it's released for Asian markets.

So still no export for you, but you can order it and not need to learn Japanese to understand what is going on.
>>
File: mgg.jpg (262KB, 1106x470px) Image search: [Google]
mgg.jpg
262KB, 1106x470px
>>15116891
>>15116930
>>15118034

For future reference, these threads are about tabletop games, not vidya.

/tg/ means "Traditional Games," as in tabletop games -- that is, board games, miniatures wargames, and pen-and-paper roleplaying games (like Dungeons & Dragons).
>>
>>15119385
You should probably spell that out in the thread's title next time. Remember, 4chan can't into reading comprehension.
>>
>>15119475

Wholly agreed, I shall.
>>
Any news on Mekton Zero? sigh
>>
>>15119534
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1888572386/mekton-zero/posts/1726060

I got a refund a year or so ago by making noise about making a big stink to the WA AG
>>
>>15119534
Just give up on it, it's never coming out.

It'll be less disappointing when they officially announce its canceled, and if by some miracle it ever does get released, you get to be pleasently surprised.
>>
File: 7-1.jpg (2MB, 1944x2800px) Image search: [Google]
7-1.jpg
2MB, 1944x2800px
>>15116479

HUE here, and I have all the books for that game.
>>
>>15119644
This is how I also treat the new edition of the Heavy Gear RPG.
>>
>>15101981 here
Session 2 of the game is tonight. I have done some more thinking on how my character would react to accidentally becoming the "bad guy" and because the game is still meant to be not 100% serious borrowed some ideas from Nadesico.

After getting very drunk immediately after the battle, our heroine uses her time off to unfuck herself mentally and ends up rewatching a super robot show from her childhood that caused her to grow up a mech nerd and want to be a pilot.

She doesn't quite go full Akito about this but the end result is more like Fafner's Goubain kid. Now her mech is renamed THE JUSTICE ARK (written ザ·ジャスティス·アーク), and is armed with an EMP weapon to disable weak enemy units, and an emergency weapon release for if shit gets too real.

This all comes from watching a famous "mech pilot betrays the team due to villain trick, snaps out of it after thinking he killed his former copilots" arc from her childhood favourite show.

I have written some hammy dialogue for this end that she has pinned up in her cockpit.

>Do you know why I'm doing this? It's because a hero doesn't do what's EASY! THEY DO WHAT'S RIGHT! And until you learn this, Joe, you'll never truly win! You'll just fight empty battles and score empty victories for Furnace King! SNAP OUT OF IT, JOE! IF YOU'RE TRULY STRONG, YOU CAN!" - Unstoppable Energy Seigiga, Episode 32 "The Death of Joe, the Birth of Dark Seisaurer"
>>
>>15121167

Fucking awesome. This sounds like a rockin' fun game.
>>
>>15122223
The session was, in fact, awesome.

The party rock god played guitar at the colonial alliance inauguration ceremony, my mecha nerd engineer panicked at a press conference and made a Sailor Moon tier speech about how she wants to protect world peace and fight for justice (and now has a super robot pilot cosplay to wear in battle), and it looks like we're going full Gundam as the leader of one of the colonies was assassinated at the treaty signing, probably by one of the other member states.
>>
File: 1367593284775.gif (460KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1367593284775.gif
460KB, 500x275px
>>15121167
>>
Do you guys think a system for Beam Struggles is necessary for a mecha game? I think it is.
>>
>>15123662
Depends what kind of mecha game you're talking about. Something like Silhouette is fine without it, for instance.

And even in something intended to be more flashy and over-the-top, it might be a fun thing to have, but I'd hardly consider it necessary.
>>
File: anime stud.png (44KB, 200x231px) Image search: [Google]
anime stud.png
44KB, 200x231px
I've read through Mekton Zeta for the first time. It's something special.
>>
>>15123662
No.
>>
>>15124908

It's got a lotta great stuff in it, fo' sho'
>>
>>15124908

Anime Hero
The Girlfriend/Boyfriend
Anime Babe
Anime Stud
Big Lug
The Kid
Celebrity

Wow... out of the seven templates, three are ones nobody would ever want to play. Brilliant!
>>
>>15126970
Yeah.

You know how earlier in the thread, anon mentioned how so very few mecha RPGs give the impression that the writer actually knows mecha shows and their conventions and cliches?

Mekton Zeta is definitely not one of those few.
>>
>>15126970
You know there's like a whole other character template version with dozens of actually good templates, right?

The "young hero" bullshit templates are only particularly good for a very long running game, for shorter game or even campaigns that aren't going to have months and months of weekly sessions the "experience hero" templates are way, way better.
>>
>>15126970
>The Girlfriend/Boyfriend
>Anime Stud
>Celebrity

Are the writers' experience with robot animu exclusively Macross and/or Robotech?
>>
>>15127068

Wait, I'm confused...

Are you saying Mekton Zeta DOES give the impression that the writer actually knows mecha shows and their conventions and cliches?

Or are you saying Mekton Zeta does NOT give the impression that the writer actually knows mecha shows and their conventions and cliches?

>>15127092
I'm aware of all this.

I was just commenting how lame it is that three of the Rookie Templates (The Girlfriend, The Big Lug, and The Kid) seem like very unappealing options for players.
>>
>>15127137

All those archetypes can be found in Gundam too. As well as many other mecha shows.
>>
>>15127137
>The Girlfriend/Boyfriend
Fraw Bow, Reika "Ixtli" Mishima, Mikoto Utsugi, Hikaru Makiba

>Anime Stud
Char Aznable, Kamina, Gai Daigoji, Allen Schezar

>Celebrity
Lacus Clyne, Meer Campbell, Inori Yuzuriha, AKB0048

>>15127144
Q.E.D.
>>
What's the worst mecha ruleset you guys have encountered?
>>
>>15128543
D20 Future.

The idea seems pretty good conceptually, pick a size, plug in armor, structure, weapons and systems. Not a lot of heavy math involved at all.

But then it suffers from d20 syndrome of nothing ever fucking working like it should. For some inexplicable reason it treats ALL mecha like they're power armor, so their stats are BONUSES to the pilot's stats. The HP and DR bloat is insane, with even base model mass production types having hundreds of HP and tens of DR, which combined with weapons that aren't actually balanced for use against other mecha so scale like shit means that mecha vs mecha combat takes fucking HOURS. It's like no one bothered to play test the rules at all, or if they did probably used small power armors with only the most basic gear and then called it a day.
>>
>>15128837

Yikes...!
>>
>>15128837
D20 Future Tech has a optional rules for mecha to have their own physical stats, but still...ugh
>>
The problem, for me, with D20 -- and many other RPG systems -- is how evvvvverything has its own special rules exceptions, stunts, feats, whatever -- every weapon, every power, every attack, every class, every race, EVERYthing has specific rule effects. It's SO much to keep track of, it's hard enough being a player. Being a DM is a nightmare.
>>
>>15130175

"Feat Creep"?
>>
>>15131437
The d20 Modern line's issue was less "feat creep" and more "feat taxes."

Everything you wanted to do was a fucking feat. Even simple things that should have been inherit maneuvers in the combat and skill system were fucking feats. I swear it was getting to the point tying your fucking shoes was going to end up being a goddamn feat. You couldn't do ANYTHING in that fucking game without a feat or class ability.
>>
Agreed. It's a big turn-off to the system.
>>
>>15132442
That's a problem in 3.5, too.

Somehow, Pathfinder managed to make it worse. Much worse.
>>
>>15132460
Spycraft and Fantasy Craft did better in that respect, didn't they? I hear the latter even put "caster supremacy" to bed.
>>
IIRC in order to create a soldier character capable of passing US Army BASIC TRAINING, not even a fancy MOS or whatever, just plain basic training, you needed to be something like level 5+.

>>15132484
Spycraft is a little better but not much, I've never played Fantasy Craft so couldn't tell you.

Mutants & Masterminds certainly works a lot better since the whole point is to just buy every ability you could possibly need out of the gate, and is extra relevant to the thread since it has built-in mecha systems.
>>
>>15132484
>I hear the latter even put "caster supremacy" to bed.
that's mostly because the singular pure spellcasting class in FC is kinda underpowered and has a somewhat lacking spell selection, and the magic focused supplement has been in development hell for the better part of a decade now
>>
>>15132484
I can see the problem with the whole caster supremacy thing, but 90% of the "solutions" I've seen consist of "take away the spellcasters' toys to bring them down to the level of the 'mundane' characters." Why not give the other characters nice things to match, instead of deciding that no one gets nice things ever?

In any case, caster supremacy doesn't bother me that much, because I love playing casters anyway. For all its flaws, I still love 3.5.
>>
>>15126970

It's easy enough to just not use the templates if you don't like them.
>>
Looking to GM a game of Battle Century G myself. Not quite sure, however, about a few things.

The first, I suppose, is that I'm still shaky on how to go about making a plot. Anything in particular to avoid for plot elements or villain factions or the like? (For the sake of gameplay to not turn into a chain of bosses, I do want to use Grunts)

The second issue, not quite related, would be more of gameflow. Would it be better to follow the traditional SRW-style battle-intermission-battle pattern, or would there be ways to make it at least feel less railroaded?
>>
>>15133233
>The first, I suppose, is that I'm still shaky on how to go about making a plot. Anything in particular to avoid for plot elements or villain factions or the like? (For the sake of gameplay to not turn into a chain of bosses, I do want to use Grunts)
Honestly? Don't be afraid to rip off anything and everything. The worst mistake I see GMs make is trying way too hard to be "original" and "unique" and just failing to be anything but "nonsensical and stupid."

>The second issue, not quite related, would be more of gameflow. Would it be better to follow the traditional SRW-style battle-intermission-battle pattern, or would there be ways to make it at least feel less railroaded?
Battle-intermission-battle is pretty much how BCG is set up to work. Though plot set up honestly depends a lot on the setting and what the players are in it.

Like are they members of the military? Then they'll probably get ordered around a lot, a good way to avoid railroading is to give them objectives but then cut them off from the main army so they have to work on achieving their objectives as well as surviving on their own.

Are they mercenaries or rebels or something? Then you'll want to focus on giving them reasons to fight, WHY they're involved in the plot becomes a bigger deal since they don't have the "because you're under orders" as military games.
>>
>>15132586
>Mutants & Masterminds certainly works a lot better since the whole point is to just buy every ability you could possibly need out of the gate, and is extra relevant to the thread since it has built-in mecha systems.

The main issue I see with M&M is that it can't seem to make up its mind if it is an effects-based system or a results-based system. It's like a hodgepodge of Hero and D20.
>>
>>15132929
>Why not give the other characters nice things to match?
>giving non-casters nice things
>ever

I'm poorly acquainted with d20, but the typical response to "let the martials do cool shit (or at least be useful out of combat)" from both casterfags and martialfags on /tg/ consists primarily of angry frog noises.
>>
>>15124908
>>15126970
>>15126970

In the interest of being fair and accurate:

When it came out, Mekton was not just the only anime mecha game (Battletech was mecha but not anime), Mekton was also the only anime game, period.
>>
>>15135063
>Mekton was also the only anime game, period.

Except for Teenagers from Outer Space... which was by the same company, and used the same system. And was slapstick comedy.
>>
>>15134827
Fuck those guys.

I still stand by my belief that the Tome of Battle is one of the best books in the entire 3.5 portfolio, and I say that as someone who prefers to play casters.
>>
A couple of years ago I read about a campaign that was Arthurian knights in mecha on post-apocalyptic Mars. It used a combination of King Arthur Pendragon and Mekton.

Anyone have any idea how the fuck that is supposed to work?
>>
>>15132929
Even with Tome of Battle, which is as close as it ever got, there's only so much you can do to bring martials up to caster levels of power when any given caster can perform the combined feats of every fictional spellcaster in history and more. Even if you outright make them into Goku, that's still not a match for your typical wizard having the combined powers of Merlin, Moses, Loki and Zeus.

I'm in favor of buffing weaker characters instead of nerfing strong ones whenever possible, but when you get up to the absurd heights of D&D casters something's got to give.
>>
>>15135569

No, but it sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>15135569
Sounds kind of like Camelot Trigger, which is based on Fate Core.

I don't know why it sounds so crazy to you, it's a pretty standard "my first mecha setting" idea, and mecha in fantasy is not at all uncommon. Escaflowne meets Gundam, basically. Or Vanguard Bandits in space.
>>
>>15119385
Well,where can i go for mecha video games?
>>
>>15137228
A thread about video games.
>>
>>15137236
but nobody talks about mecha games in video game threads
>>
>>15137241
They will if you make that thread on /m/.
>>
>>15137241
Look, you don't go into a Dougram thread saying you want to talk about Gundam, you don't go into a Gundam thread saying you want to talk about Macross, you don't go into a novel thread saying you want to talk about comic books, why the fuck would you come into a TABLETOP gaming thread crying about wanting to talk about video games?

Poor form, friend.
>>
>>15137394
Im not. im just asking where i should go. thats not the same thing at all
>>
>>15137400
Well then you got your answer "in a thread about video games."

Do you need more information than that?

Scroll to the top of the page, click "catalog," locate the search box, type "game," obviously this thread will come up but of course you should ignore it because now you know it's about Tabletop games. Do any others come up? Are they about video games? Post in those. If not, locate the "new thread" button, type up an enticing OP explaining it's the place to talk about mecha video games, get the conversation going with a question or comment of your own, and don't forget to include an eye catching image. But make sure the image isn't more interesting than the topic (a classic blunder, right up there with starting a land war in Asia).

I hope I answered your question well enough this time.
>>
>>15137412
Well, excuse me for thinking that people who spend more time on this board than i do would know more than i did on the subject
>>
>>15137412
There's like 8 video game related threads on the catalogue right now.
Whether he's being serious or not, it's not worth it to keep responding.
>>
I like mecha TRPGs. I wanna play in one.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLoohrd7IHo
saw this while I was looking for commercials
>>
>>15136324
I meant rules wise, as in, how the fuck do you meld mekton with pendragon.
>>
>>15116798
>>15116825
>>15116840\
Might want to not cut that book up just yet.
I got the game and am currently in the middle of scanning it. I estimate I'll be done in a day or so, unless I manage to finish it tonight.
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (603KB, 956x983px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
603KB, 956x983px
>>15139131
This is from my scan of page 25, just so you know I'm not lying. Gihren's got some hideous teeth. Looks like some George Washington wood dentures shit.
>>
>>15138868

Omigod that's amazing, that's awesome!
>>
>>15138952
Mekton's game rules, Pendragon's lineage tables, I would guess.
>>
>>15116825
>you'll be at this forrrrevvvvverrrrr.
if the book flops open and you have a good camera it can go pretty quick
I did that for when I transcribed my copy of MS Era 0099 so I could do it at work without hauling the book around, I don't think it took more than 30s per page on my /pol/tard neighbor's DSLR.
>>
>>15137600
Us too, anon.

Don't expect anyone to try to put together a game any time soon. 4chan assembled rando groups never work out. Because no one ever wants to GM it's rare one even gets assembled, and if by some miracle one does get assembled it never gets beyond the first round of emails before half the group just vanishes and the rest give up and vanish as well.
>>
>>15140745
>4chan assembled rando groups never work out.
Rando groups in general aren't good, in my experience. Just play with some friends, either from real life or the internet.

Also, I'm >>15139137 and I've scanned Senki. Just waiting for it to upload to mediafire.
>>
>>15140753
In my experience, which is solely my experience and shouldn't be taken as anything but, 4chan rando groups rarely get passed the planning stage while roll20 and the like rando groups manage to get to actual play then fall apart because the LFG player base is made up of creepo That Guys kicked out of normal groups and left to fend for themselves.

What I'm getting at is you're 100% on the money. Rando groups suck, play with friends. And if you really must play with randos don't expect anything of quality to come out of the experience.
>>
File: IMG_0181.jpg (1MB, 1841x1527px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0181.jpg
1MB, 1841x1527px
Here it is.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p492h9ofp7xfm4t/SENKI+SCANS.zip
These are a bit rough, but they're high quality. You'll definitely be able to read everything and see all the art and stuff. I got everything except the maps and the paper pawns from the back, those'd be a bitch to scan and I just want to get the important stuff out already.

One thing is for sure, this book is a lot better formatted than anything R Talsorian has ever put out. It even has an index!
>>
>>15140830

NNnnnnnnnnnnoice!!!! DLing now.
>>
So /mgg/, imagine this situation:

You're going to run a game, and you're NOT a total loser and actually have players, who are all ready and raring to go with whatever you want to run.

What's your campaign, setting, and premise?
What's your dream game that you wanna run (but likely never will)?
Don't be shy about how stupid and unoriginal it is, own it! We all have shit taste, otherwise we wouldn't be posting on /m/.

Tell us all about it (maybe you'll get lucky and get some interested players, who WON'T totally bail on you after the first round of email discussion).
>>
>>15141374
I have already run two games (a Rayearth/Masoukishin thing and a Linebarrel/Aldnoah high school pilots thing) but my "I wish I could run this" list is:

Apocalypse 198X: Boom era set Concrete Revolutio style game, with the players part of the Osaka branch of the Superhuman Registration Office. Oldschool heroes are dying out as edgy newcomers take the stage. The PCs work with a delinquent magical girl, transforming office lady Ultrawoman, master womanising assassin Sweeper X and cyborg alien cop Space Policeman Starban, fighting superhuman related crime.

In the Shadow of the Elevators: G-Reco style mecha in a corrupt, harshly economically divided South American state recovering from a civil war. World powers want it because there's a space elevator off its coast, so the UN has sent a high tech task force to keep the peace. However, evil megacorps and local militias are engaged in vicious fighting...

Unstoppable Energy Seigiga: You all play ordinary school kids granted the power of the ancient energy of lost civilisations by a mysterious glowing space god who possessed your homeroom teacher. Together you pilot robots based on a lion, a jet fighter, a T Rex and a samurai that can combine to form a bigger robot. You fight the evil Foundry Empire's four generals, Furnace King, Welder Queen, Generator Shogun and Blaster Lord as they send Forge Beasts to Japan. (this is based on a Gekiganger-style fake anime that turns up in other games I'm in)

Magical Operators, or The Space Self Defence Force Fighting in the Fantasy World: You play elite tacticool UC types, full on Sentinel/AoZ. A horrible accident sends you beyond the time and you wake up in a fantasy world. The elves and other fantasy hippies were expecting schoolgirls to pilot their magic giant gods and fight wizards and shit. You've got guns, missiles, and a degree from Space West Point. Lock and load.
>>
>>15141451

All of these sound fucking amazing.
>>
>>15141374
>>15141451
My "I wish I could run" game is pretty unoriginal

Gundam Beyond: Literally Gundam meets Battletech.
Quantum physics/mechanics and nano engineering breakthroughs pushes tech to be practically synonymous with "magic." Mankind even develops FTL technology and artificial gravity, so it spreads beyond Earth's solar system with little issue, colonizing the galaxy, and terraforming planets. With the population just exploding with infinite space to grow and hyper advanced medicine curing anything and everything that ails you.

Humans being humans and this being a Gundam title, wars for independence break out between the increasingly independent colonies and the central Earth government, growing into a galactic civil war. ECM tech gets so ridiculous that guided munitions and long range radar are effectively useless in combat so fights close to line of sight distances (which is still a lot in space) yadda yadda MOBILE SUITS BITCHES.

Escalating arms race + virtually magic technology + desperation battles = insane WMD potential. War last like a century but only eventually "ends" with the number of newly independent factions dividing the galaxy up among themselves, but not before huge chunks of humanity get wiped out, entire colonized systems being erased, and the broken and beaten factions all agreeing never to use any of that horrendous shit again. Not that a lot of it they even could anymore, because GUESS WHAT? So much got lost in the decades of war and focus on the war effort that lost technology is totally a thing now.

Though the galaxy is divided among the factions, pretty much everything beyond each faction's cluster of core systems is a high tech wild west frontier. Pirates and mercenaries plague space and muscle frontier colonies for the major factions or local warlords, who in turn kowtow to the major powers. The war never actually ends with constantly shifting borders between the major factions. And lost tech treasure hunters make bank.
>>
>>15141500
I've put a good degree of thought into this, and am not ashamed to admit that I've also ripped off a lot of other settings' ideas.
>>
>>15141500

Iron-Blooded Orphans is a (Sol system sized) version of this, almost exactly.

Just expand it to the scale of VOTOMs' setting and you're done.
>>
>>15140830

I shall name a glorious mecha after you
>>
>>15142000
That's more or less the idea.

I never said it was totally original.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (35KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
35KB, 400x250px
Did anyone here ever play "Mecha!" from Seventh Street games? They had a system which used Action Points and highly specialized Phases during turns -- like, Movement Phase, Missile Phase, explosion phase or something...
>>
>>15100770
>Brigada_Ligeira_Estelar
This looked super interesting so I googled around to see if there was an explanation of 3D&T rules in English and came upon this:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JroB5R-G1h5ME2tnzlvPI0oDmCsOzmq7BwMtHFyfMLE/edit?usp=sharing
At first blush it seems almost too simple. Your ratings are 1 to 5, and you roll a single d6, trying to score equal to or under your rating. You can have modifiers from advantages or such that add to your skill on a roll, but a 6 is always a failure. Having a ~17% chance to outright fail on any roll seems a bit extreme, but it doesn't sound that much different from stuff I played in Jr. High or Highschool.
>>
>>15145398

Seriously? The system is that simple? Yeeks...!
>>
>>15145636
Yeah, it's no kidding a fast, simple system. I would love to crack open one of those BLE books and see how they rundown mecha stats and all of that.
>>
>>15145676

Same here, sheez!
>>
>>15143922

Well, I can't say I was nuts about the system, but "Mecha!" had a cool setting at least:

The Spirit Warrior Empire -- space Aztecs! Their mechs had names like Smoking Mirror and such. Pretty unusual.
>>
>>15141451
What do you run your games in? Specifically your Linebarrel/Aldnoah one.
>>
>>15145398
>>15145636
>>15145676
It's actually very broken. Combat relies on the "ability" stats for everything so players can pump it and become untouchable easily
>>
>>15146046
Not so much, "Ability" get nerf in the more recent versions.
>>
>>15145398
>Your ratings are 1 to 5

Except you can have ratings above 6, its only uncommon. The1 to 5 limit is only to new characters.

the single d6, roll under, is only to Abilities test and Skill text. Combat works on reverser, and using Str or Firepower + Ability + d6 vs Armor + Ability + d6, the higher wins.

Manual do Defensor, comes with new options, like turn everything to dicepools, roll 2d6, roll above for everything and other things.
>>
>>15141374
Basically, it'd be Gundam-flavored Macross, with a bit of Space Battleship Yamato thrown in for good measure.

Have the backstory be highly reminiscent of the 00 movie, in that humanity, previously at war with one another, run afoul of an alien race, known across the cosmos as the fearsome Zelgavez Empire. Though instead of UNDERSTANDING, humanity fucks their shit up, and these aliens, with their fighters outclassed by humanity's Mobile Suits, run with their proverbial tails between their legs. Humanity, having temporarily sided with one another to combat the alien menace, are incredibly tense; things haven't quite been resolved between one another, but they can't afford infighting now that they've effectively declared war on an interstellar scale.

Salvaging what technology they could from the wreckage of the invaders, humanity has finally achieved FTL technology, among other things. Civil War looks to be looming its head once more, and then, the aliens return with what looks like humanoid weapons of their own. In what is considered the bloodiest battle in human history, less than ten percent of humanity survives the onslaught, and Earth is destroyed. Attaching their remaining space colonies to newly developed interstellar travel-capable spaceships, what's left of the human race, flying under the flag of the New Terra Federation, has two goals; explore the vast reaches of space and find planets capable of supporting human life, and to put a stop to the ambitions of the dreaded Zelgavez Empire, feared throughout the cosmos.

Players would be expected to not only combat the empire and find planets capable of supporting human life, but also liberate other alien races oppressed by the Zelgavez Empire, possibly gaining new allies in their crusade against the monsters that destroyed the Earth.
>>
>>15146046
The thing that stands out the most is the artwork, if the insides are anything like the covers they might be worth picking up just for the art + mecha stats

>>15146213
Can you elaborate a little on how they changed it?

>>15146220
Sorry, I was trying to just give a brief understanding on how the basic skill tests work.
Does it matter if you're over a 5 for those even? Unless you're doing something that's going to give you minuses the best you can hope for is needing a five or less, since a six always fails.
>>
>>15146527
>Does it matter if you're over a 5 for those even? Unless you're doing something that's going to give you minuses the best you can hope for is needing a five or less, since a six always fails.

Modifiers, bro.
>>
>>15146620
>Unless you're doing something that's going to give you minuses
the examples go up to getting like a +20. What sort of negative modifiers are you getting that you're going to need that number? Ghost Riding your Zaku while doing a handstand in space with no life support suit?
>>
Any of you anons ever think about running a game on /qst/? It could use some more mech quests.
>>
>>15145792
It was all done in Battle Century G, I just keep the levels low, retheme things and occasionally bend the rules slightly.

So what in fantasy mecha game was flavored as a Granzon style walking mess of ornaments and black holes could be described in generic Hirai land as a Metal Gear style thing.

The most important thing is to hide generic rules by playing enemies in genre appropriate ways and focus on depicting the characters and world with descriptions rather than just reading the rulebook.
>>
It's me, the guy playing the demolition girl, back with another game report.

Session 2 ended with the leader of Novak, a neighbouring country, blown up on his way to peace talks - and a "malfunction" in the defense network causing a bunch of turrets to try and kill his honour guard (us and a few Novak soldiers)

It turns out shouting STOP FIGHTING, destroying the malfunctioning guns before they do much damage and making your mech's right eye glow red as you pose with a giant wrench works, and we avoided WW3 for now.

The problem is there are two main suspects in trying to start shit, our old mentor figure who was a veteran of the past war with Novak and the Sendai Corporation, who are basically Anaheim Electronics.

It turns out our mentor convinced the top brass to give him the ability to assume direct manual control over the capital's defence grid at some point, and it's possible he never removed this from his mech.

He has also gone AWOL along with his elite team, last seen headed to a remote island full of ghost towns and abandoned military bases.

So we set off to the island and found out someone was building drone fighters in an "abandoned" factory, and an old Sendai lab has been brought back online. At the lab we ran into Jericho, one of the rogue unit who opened fire on us.

Fiona fucking lost it and disarmed his mech with her shock wrench, but Jericho escaped by jettisoning his mech's core fighter.

And then things went a bit wrong. Despite our resident android pointing out the shot was impossible, Ax, the rockstar/resident fucking insane Tekkadan member, declared he could "shoot the wing off the core fighter so the pilot survives"

He missed completely but Fiona, still running on a sense of justice that only marathoning a super robot show can give, was EXTREMELY ANGRY because 1) shooting escape pods is extremely against the space Geneva Convention and 2) shooting escape pods is a massive taboo among spacenoids like her. End session.

TO BE CONTINUED -->
>>
>>15147089
So we are about to investigate an abandoned lab, we have a party member with the morals of Mika from IBO who wants to be Kio Asuno and it's very likely we're fighting our own country's Char.

And Fiona has convinced the team to wear Eldran-style communicator bracelets with 正義 written on them. She is rapidly becoming Goubain kid but as an angry lesbian construction worker.

Shit is awesome.
>>
Anyone has tried Traveller with mechs? Votoms tier mechs specially.
>>
>>15146994
If you don't have the Skill, even if you has Ability 6, you can make the damn test

>>15146527
Skill work with Roll under, but you need to have the adequate Skill to make the roll in any difficult beyond Easy (and you make the text with penalties).

So, even with Ability 6, its don't mean you can't Fail.

The new rules for Dodge put penalties equal to your adversaries Ability AND you don't have Ability with Defense in a turn you choose to Dodge.

And if you feel the need to gives more advantages to Strength, Firepower and Armor, you can choose to change the Attack/Defense to Str/Firepower/Armor x2 + Ability + d6.
>>
>>15147009
I always wanted to make a Fatty quest to do something with Votoms' HUGE universe preventing the usual glorified fanfic aspect de most quests and defend glorious Balarant motherland but I lack the time and ability. Even made a folder full of Fatty pics for it.
>>
>>15141374
The last mecha campaign I ran was a combination of King Arthur Pendragon and BRP Mecha. The players were knights piloting ancient mecha defending people from horrific biomechanical creatures and the like in a post-apocalyptic 80s inspired land.

It's a campaign conceit I want to revist.

My other ideas are:

The players are members of an advanced scouting group for the Megaroad-01 Super Long Range Emigration Fleet. This would cover the period of time leading up to and following the disappearance of the fleet in 2016.

The players are members of the ARMD-03 Near Earth Defense Fleet. Despite evidence that they are many of the ARMD fleets around Earth were destroyed in the initial conflicts with the Zentradi, ARMD-03 got folded away due to the stupid low-altitude fold initiated by Cpt Global in the SDF-1. Now you're far far away from home, and know exactly how far and where to go, and have to make your way back before the hopelessness of the situation tears apart what little of the fleet remains.

>>15141451
>Magical Operators, or The Space Self Defence Force Fighting in the Fantasy World: You play elite tacticool UC types, full on Sentinel/AoZ. A horrible accident sends you beyond the time and you wake up in a fantasy world. The elves and other fantasy hippies were expecting schoolgirls to pilot their magic giant gods and fight wizards and shit. You've got guns, missiles, and a degree from Space West Point. Lock and load.

That sounds cool.

>>15147089

Bueno

>>15147167

I think someone was doing something like that. Do a search for STARSLUGS.
>>
>>15147664
While "modern mech pilots in legally distinct La Gias" could be done as Gate done right it could also be extremely good comedy

>magic knight Monsha
>>
>>15147089
>>15147098

Sounds cash. This campaign must be top-tier fun.
>>
File: 3452294.jpg (18KB, 400x304px) Image search: [Google]
3452294.jpg
18KB, 400x304px
>>15147534
>made a folder full of Fatty pics
>>
>>15147664
>knights piloting ancient mecha defending people from horrific biomechanical creatures and the like in a post-apocalyptic 80s inspired land

Fund that fucking show!

>an advanced scouting group for the Megaroad-01 Super Long Range Emigration Fleet. This would cover the period of time leading up to and following the disappearance of the fleet in 2016.

Why the fuck haven't they made a show of this, goddamnit???
>>
File: vf-1j-gbp-lineart2.gif (134KB, 1000x825px) Image search: [Google]
vf-1j-gbp-lineart2.gif
134KB, 1000x825px
Best TRPG rules for Itano Circus?
>>
>>15150527
If you just want cool descriptions matching what happens in your taiwanese puppet shows you (and your GM) have to bring it, it doesn't matter what system you use.
>>
>>15141374
I do want to run a game, but it's a lack of time more than lack of players. But in case that time does open up I've been writing up stats to use for mechs and using non-gundam head gundams for pictures. Probably just do some bog standard war thing and let the heroes be a PMC and let them decide how they want to affect the political landscape.
>>
>>15151486
>let the heroes be a PMC and let them decide how they want to affect the political landscape

While not the most imaginative setup, that's probably the most flexible one and will leave a lot of room for unexpected occurrences. Go for it!
>>
>>15151787
I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not the most imaginative person. But I can populate an interesting political landscape without blatantly ripping anything off.
>>
File: 1482970326411.jpg (26KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
1482970326411.jpg
26KB, 218x231px
>>15140830
holy shit it happened

translators assemble
>>
>>15140830
>>15152942

Okay, the scans have been posted. Now, someone give me an email address where I can send translations.
>>
>>15154173
You could make a pastebin, or a public google doc.
>>
>>15154176

You could make a pastebin, or a public google doc.

Nope, can't do that.
>>
>>15154192
>You could make a pastebin, or a public google doc.

Fuck. Forgot to greentext that.

Anyway, yeah. Can't do that.
>>
>>15154192
>>15154194
Any particular reason why not?
>>
>>15154220
>Any particular reason why not?

Yes.
>>
>>15154228
You already know whatever the reason is you're just going to be called stupid for it.

Now go fucking make a throwaway gmail.
>>
>>15154231

Hmmmm. There must be a better way.
>>
>>15157162
Google drive allows cloud storage of like 15 gigs worth of files for free that you can edit in browser and allow others to see, but not edit it you're worried about memers fucking with it, letting people see the updates in real time.

There is literally no better way. And if you think some stupid shit like spamming some anon who might not ever bother sharing the translations with emails is "a better option" you're literally retarded and probably don't have the mental capacity to be doing translations in the first place.
>>
>>15158115

You seriously can't conceive of any reasons why someone might want to remain anonymous?

I mean, we're on 4chan -- anonymous is the name of the game here.

And dude, insulting me like a 3rd grader is not any way to get anything.
>>
>>15159200
>anonymous is the name of the game here.
oh look it's the google drive belonging to Bullshit von Fakename
>>
>>15159200
>You seriously can't conceive of any reasons why someone might want to remain anonymous?
You seriously think google drive isn't anonymous?

Nigga I've got like six accounts on google that there's no way anyone would be able to trace back to me using any method that wouldn't get you tracked using literally anything else anyway. And all I did was use a fucking fake name.

>insulting me like a 3rd grader is not any way to get anything.
Maybe if the critical thinking skills you displayed thus far weren't on a 3rd grade level you wouldn't be insulted that way.
>>
File: 20170127_154428.jpg (361KB, 905x1324px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_154428.jpg
361KB, 905x1324px
Can anyone identify this poster?
>>
>>15159200

What about using Mega? But I'd have to second Google Drive. I really don't think Google is going to give a shit about Gundam stuff, and it's reasonably anonymous.
>>
File: IMAG0079.jpg (918KB, 3264x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0079.jpg
918KB, 3264x1952px
I'm going to try and get my group to play some mecha pilots tonight. I don't think I'd be able to convince people to learn a new system, so I've tried to bolt mecha onto one they know. Wish me luck.
>>
File: hunchback.gif (92KB, 467x584px) Image search: [Google]
hunchback.gif
92KB, 467x584px
>>15148794

>>an advanced scouting group for the Megaroad-01 Super Long Range Emigration Fleet. This would cover the period of time leading up to and following the disappearance of the fleet in 2016.
>Why the fuck haven't they made a show of this, goddamnit???

Because the music would be the thing in a show on the first emigration fleet is 30 years out of date and would only appeal to old people.

>>knights piloting ancient mecha defending people from horrific biomechanical creatures and the like in a post-apocalyptic 80s inspired land
>Fund that fucking show!

>>15147729
>While "modern mech pilots in legally distinct La Gias" could be done as Gate done right it could also be extremely good comedy
>>magic knight Monsha

I hate having these sweet ass ideas for campaigns that are fucking pains in the ass to do the bare minimum in stats wise.
I like the idea of Mekton for mecha games, but having to make mecha almost wholly from scrap is a such a buzzkill, especially when I want to stick with the conceit of Pendragon and the player knights having multiple mounts, most of which aren't primarily warhorses.
>>
>>15164577
>I like the idea of Mekton for mecha games, but having to make mecha almost wholly from scrap is a such a buzzkill

Just cheat. Skip worrying about Spaces and Construction Points, just stat the mecha out. That makes it WAY easier.
>>
>>15164403

I have very good reasons to want to stay extremely anonymous. Mega isn't a bad idea though. I'll look into it.
>>
>>15164770
Mega is just as anonymous as google drive. I seriously have no fucking idea where you're getting this idea that you can't just make a google drive with the name of "Obvious Fakename" who lives at "123 Notreal Street, USA"
>>
>>15164577
SilCore.

It's effects based mecha construction, just as detailed in the end result as Mekton but instead of calculating spaces and specific systems you just pick and choose what abilities and effects you want the machine to have then calculate up costs in the end, justifying the engineering of it with fluff text not rules.

The play rules also are VASTLY superior to mekton's one-stat-rules-all bullshit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-07-23-16-02.png (313KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-07-23-16-02.png
313KB, 960x540px
it's that guy who keeps posting game summaries again

It's looking like my group's GM is ill, so I may be stepping in for a one shot.

Which means it's 90s primary coloura robot time. Which means I'm stealing a plot from Gosaurer because I'm kind of hooked on it at the moment.

EPISODE 39: RAID ON FORGE CASTLE! THE YUKIKO RESCUE OPERATION!

The Story: After a failed attempt to upgrade Seiwing and perform the Super Unstoppable Combination, Yukiko was captured by Welder Queen and taken to the moon. Now, against the advice of Professor and their school teacher, Joe, Kenta and Ryo are taking their robots Seisenshi, Seisaurer and Seileo to the moon to rescue her.

A fragment of Space God Aeldar's soul is also on the moon - the being who entrusted the team with their robots. Maybe if it can be recovered it will be the key to Super Unstoppable Combination?

But attacking the enemy stronghold won't be easy. Armies of Forge Beasts await, as well as deadly machines, toxic storms and rivers of molten metal.

On top of that, the Self Defence Force have spotted an enormous weapon under construction...

Objectives:

1) Save Yukiko and locate Seiwing
2) Recover Aeldar's soul
3) (Hidden) Destroy the Earth Smelter Cannon

It seems a fun "dungeon crawl" - the players can try to sneak in either via a massive machine room or molten metal canals, or try fighting their way in. At the end they'll get the chance to form the upgraded robot and duel the enemy general.

And yes it's a blatant ripoff of the death of Engine King arc, complete with Acetylknight, Welder Queen's Gilturbo expy.
>>
File: Map - 001.png (9KB, 368x268px) Image search: [Google]
Map - 001.png
9KB, 368x268px
>>15164503
Game ended up being a success. I bolted the MF0 rules onto PDQ and they worked out pretty well. Dice from MF0 got turned into PDQ qualities, and I simplified ranges by using a hex map. (Same tile = hand to hand, 1 tile = direct fire, 2+ tiles = artillery range)

We just did a simple rules test doing a "steal the bacon" style mission and while there were a couple of hiccups, it went swimmingly and I think I can convince them to play in a longer campaign now.
>>
>>15165377
Well our GM was not ill, so legally distinct Eldrans go on the backburner for a bit and instead you get treated to part 3 of the campaign, in which the team get played like a damn fiddle.

Things were going moderately well, the team had managed to down an enemy ace pilot with a minimum of fuss, and despite a slight altercation over whether it was possible to non-lethally shoot a core fighter with an oversized railgun at extreme range (the robot said no, the ego said yes) the team had not killed each other yet.

And so they investigated the wrecked mech. It turned out its pilot had set its computer and internals to burn out on ejecting, but the process hadn't properly taken place and Fiona was able to recover flight recorder data.

Things didn't add up. There was input lag and improperly read inputs on the console logs, which suggested the mech was being piloted remotely. And, conveniently, there were trucks of comms equipment nearby and a long-range antenna on the base.

As the team proceeded, things seemed very much to point to Alpha Team, their mentors, having indeed gone rogue. An Alpha Team mech on-site not answering comms, an Alpha Team security pass discarded on the ground, and blueprints for Alpha Team's mechs in the lab they found.

Indeed, when they found the emails directly incriminating their mentor in a false flag operation it seemed cut and dry.

They duly reported all of this both to the Novak investigatory committee and their own superiors, as they had been ordered to.

Except they also found emails very comprehensively detailing a plan for their own nation to break the peace treaty and assassinate the Novak leaders. Rather too comprehensively, and completely unencrypted, and apparently going from the top brass straight to the "rogue unit".

Their Novak "observers" fucking lost it at this point and went to DEFCON 2, demanding the president be impeached, the military stand down etc.

TO BE CONTINUED ->
>>
File: fiddle.jpg (59KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
fiddle.jpg
59KB, 640x359px
>>15166348
At this point, on a private channel, the android in the party calmly points out that

1) If the mech was remotely piloted where the fuck were the operators?
2) Where the fuck was anyone in this building that had only one access road and no sign of anyone leaving?
3) Why were the meals and coffee cups only a couple of hours old?

and 4) What kind of idiot would Reply All the entire explanation of a complex multi-stage false flag operation to a significant proportion of the military and government under their real name and leave it up on the only computer still turned on in an "abandoned" base?

At this point we rather felt like we had been played like a goddamn fiddle.

However, there wasn't actually anything we could do except return to our dropship.

Halfway there the entire team's mechs suddenly suffer catastrophic system failures and crash in the middle of a remote patch of marshland. And a dozen unmanned fighters (the same ones we had chased off before) attack.

The fighting is so intense Fiona ends up having to release ARSENAL MODE on the Ark Gear, both its eyes glowing red and it opening numerous vents across its body which emit steam as it strikes the classic super robot sword pose.

The drones destroyed, new contacts appear on the radar - Alpha Team, demanding we listen to what they have to say.

Of course, we have been played. The Novak government faked their own leader's death, kidnapped our own president, and planted evidence that it was a false flag operation to justify invading.

TECHNICALLY our team are assumed dead, killed by our own army's drones in the middle of nowhere.

Instead, we are regrouping and forming a plan. And Fiona is measuring herself up to have a mask made, and imagines herself becoming a significantly angrier mix of Sukeban Deka and Rom Stol.

>I might be a traitor to my own country, raising arms by necessity against the nation I swore to protect... but to try and accuse honest men of treason? My soul ain't sunk that low!
>>
Out of curiosity anyone here follow Mecha Space Pirate on quest?
>>
File: 3det-acds1-arte-da-capa.jpg (868KB, 2386x800px) Image search: [Google]
3det-acds1-arte-da-capa.jpg
868KB, 2386x800px
>>15166422
Nope. Is it any good?
>>
>>15166586
I believe it is. The guy who runs it is a really good character writer. Give the first thread a read and decide for yourself though. The quest uses Mekton zeta with some house rules and is based in the qm's original universe.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=mecha+space+pirate
>>
>>15164973
>SilCore.
>It's effects based mecha construction, just as detailed in the end result as Mekton but instead of calculating spaces and specific systems you just pick and choose what abilities and effects you want the machine to have then calculate up costs in the end, justifying the engineering of it with fluff text not rules.
>The play rules also are VASTLY superior to mekton's one-stat-rules-all bullshit.

Silcore is looking to be midway between BRP Mecha and Mekton Zeta, which looks promising.

>>15165377
90s mecha action in a "dungeon crawls" sounds bueno.

>>15166384
SWEET FUCK!!

>>15166125
Thats great
>>
>>15167093
>Thats great
Thanks!
>>
>>15167093
>SWEET FUCK!!
It gets better

The rogue team's plan they're trying to recruit us on is to wait for Novak to begin its invasion and then launch a raid on its capital, particularly military high command, to capture their leaders and force them to go public on camera.

The rock star is suggesting we sneak in under the guise of a "Solidarity for Novak" charity gig.

Eight mechs, attacking the capital city of the enemy nation to reveal their evil plan.

Half the team South Burning types one mission from retirement.

And the whole war orchestrated, it seems, by an arms company whose CEO is on their government.
>>
File: images (11).jpg (7KB, 240x313px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
7KB, 240x313px
>mecha

Eh, how about planes? Any good systems?
>>
>>15167814
http://www.vbamgames.com/shop/mercenary-air-squadron/mercenary-air-squadron/

This is Area 88: The Pen and Paper Game from the look of it.
>>
>>15167814
look up Warbirds
>>
File: 1478982177689.jpg (166KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478982177689.jpg
166KB, 1024x768px
>>15167814
>>
>>15167814
I like Crimson Skies, but it's older and I admit I like it more for the fluff than the system itself.
>>
>>15169681
>Crimson Skies

another Mike Pondsmith related project, IIRC
>>
File: 250724-h1.jpg (56KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
250724-h1.jpg
56KB, 620x349px
>>
>>15141374

Okay, taking a shot at this I guess. For a game I've wanted to run but haven't had the chance to for a while (for varying reasons), I had the following general idea.

Aliens had attacked the earth en-masse. It was uncertain why they attacked, or what they came from, but humanity had difficulties in this attack. It wasn't until GARMs (General Assault and Reconnaissance Mechanoid) were developed that things turned around. Lingering doubts after the end had convinced many that this would only be a temporary reprieve, however, and so varied companies and research groups were given funding under the Global Defense Research Initiative

To complicate matters further, no small number of disenfranchised and/or disillusioned soldiers had straight-up left the military branch of what was now the empowered United Nations, the United Nations Enforcement Corps (UEC), under the leadership of one Adrian Maxwell, one of the heroes of the war. This group called themselves the Wings of Freedom, but ten years later, appeared to have turned into a terrorist group, under the control of someone more in the style of Archibald Grims, for lack of a better reference.

With these threats overhead, a masked man known only as "R" has been headhunting pilots and robots to work for a group only known as "Sector Zero", much to the UN and UEC's chagrin.

Needless to say, the PCs would be among those who were brought on board.
>>
>>15173314

I'm intrigued.
>>
>>15140793
Actually, what happens the most for 4chan random groups is that character creation gets done, and then MAYBE - big maybe - a shortened intro session, but usually not even that much.

Even if it's going well and people get along at first, invariably, the GM simply never shows up to the real game#1
>>
>>15175031
Sometimes games take off, as rare as it may be. Still, I don't think that should stop people from organizing games. At least there's the opportunity to meet new people.
>>
>>15173314
One thing you'd really need to cover is how/why these GRAMs are an improvement. "It's humanoid" is generally speaking a big drawback after all, unless it's power-armor scale.

For advanced technologies in particular: Why can't you just put that beam cannon on an APC? Why are fighters and tanks somehow all disallowed from having that fusion reactor?

It's something that Gundam consistently glosses over to a point where one suspects the extra costs and vulnerabilities are the entire reason for the humanoid mobile suits; a massive war-profiteering scheme by Anaheim and Zeonic from the very start.

Some settings, notably the Silhouette game ones (jovian chronicles, heavy gear) do NOT remove the utility of other vehicles. Aircraft and Tanks can easily be a party's "get the fuck out" hazard or a boss fight for HG respectively and the mechs themselves are kept down at the VOTOMS scale and on par with an APC. They're humanoid primarily because the neural-net currently has to be trained from 0 by a human, so, we can't exactly teach them to walk with six (there's hexapedal striders but those are two-man machines).
>>
>>15175125
Its worse than that. Any advancement that makes bipedal mecha viable would make simpler vehicles completely invincible against those mecha. The Valkyries in Macross can transform at high speed, moving massive parts using thin motorized structures that should be torn apart by the stress. If a plane has armor made of that sort of material, how could a Valkyrie compete? Imagine all the mass and volume wasted by the transformation mechanism. Dedicate it to weapons, ammo, and armor instead. Imagine all the maintenance a Valkyrie needs for all the moving parts and how much less maintenance a tank or plane would need at the same weight (with more weapons, ammo, and armor instead of an articulating internal structure- and the armor is MADE of the same magic material as the articulating internal structure).
>>
File: 916.jpg (40KB, 600x354px) Image search: [Google]
916.jpg
40KB, 600x354px
>discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of giant robots when compared regular vehicles of the same tech level
>>
>>15175441
I'm sure it's new to someone.
>>
File: Map - 01.001.png (9KB, 368x268px) Image search: [Google]
Map - 01.001.png
9KB, 368x268px
Tried to get my players to run a short session tonight, but they all were various forms of flakes. I'm excited to have them assault this facility as mission one, going up against 2 enemy mecha and 4 small defensive machines (power suit equivalents) in an assault on this facility.
>>
>>15175125
>>15175405
"rule of cool"

Done. No more justification needed.
>>
>>15175405
>blah blah blah
Literally no one cares.
>>
>>15135063
>Battletech was mecha but not anime

Battletech is anime as all fuck, anon.
The only people who spout the bullshit about it being somehow original or not at all like anime are overgrown kids who haven't seen anything but Gundam Wing, plus maybe some other crap that the horrendous taste in anything brought to the US back then.
>>
>>15175602
Problem.

Some people find tanks very cool.
Some people find starfighters very cool.
Some people find ships very cool and helis very cool.
>>
>>15135063
Battletech was literally destroids.
As in the ground units in Macross.

Hell they even had Variable Fighters - INCLUDING LITERALLY THE VF-1 VALKYRIE - in the game early on as well.

Even their jump-drive system was fairly similar to the fold-space drives.
>>
>>15175726
So? What does that have to do with anything?
>>
File: CODE_GEASS_-_01_-_Large_02.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CODE_GEASS_-_01_-_Large_02.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>15175733
I mean, the designs are obvious but the influences hardly end there.

It's basically a re-imaging of Dougram, story-wise with a tiny bit of Dune thrown in for the 80s sci-fi tropes.
It's just like Robotech. Take something completely Japanese and then pride yourself on not doing stuff like the Japanese.
Heck, they straight up tell you Japanese never do space opera in face of stuff like Yamato or LOGH.

Heck, the TT game itself is just a straight fucking copy of the Japanese 3D simulation wargames.

About the only thing the franchise contributed to the genre is mech part customization (instead of customization by addition like Macross or Gundam does it with the armors and booster packs) but that is such an obvious concept I really have my doubts about its origin as well.
>>
>>15175778
Speaking of Dougram, Macross wasn't the only source of stole... licensed mech designs.
>>
>>15175786
Those were licensed. One of the very few to be.
It's the stuff from Mosapeda or Votoms that were not.
A lot of tracing with minimal adaptation was going on in there.

Atlas, for instance, is obviously traced over from a Scopedog.
Another good example are the vehicles, again more than a bit inspired by VOTOMS.
Helicopter cockpits they oh so love on the Mad Cats - Dougram.
Et cetera, et cetera.
>>
>>15175773
well if one will apply rule of cool as the reason, it then stands to reason that fighters and tanks should also have those same capabilities because they're cool.
>>
>>15175827
>Those were licensed. One of the very few to be.
All of the licenses were obtained through a company named TCI (Twentieth Century Imports) which did not have authority to be licensing the designs for unlimited use by FASA. None of the anime-derived designs were properly licensed.
>>
File: file.png (229KB, 256x353px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
229KB, 256x353px
Ninty has some cool ones.

Robots/Mecha as the focus
-Custom Robo
-Teleroboxer
-Xeno series
-Chibi-Robo
-Chosoju Mecha MG
-Battle Clash
-Joy Mecha Fight
-and ROB I guess

Sci-Fi with robots
-Metroid
-Star Fox
-Kirby
-Sin and Punishment
-Star Tropics
- X
-MOTHER
-F-Zero
>>
File: 1367588000338.gif (503KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1367588000338.gif
503KB, 300x222px
>>15176059
If someone wants to make that kind of argument, they can easily stay the fuck out of a mecha focused game, and find a game that is focused on tanks or fighter jets or whatever they want to fap to.
>>
File: DRAGON Brigantine Class.png (466KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DRAGON Brigantine Class.png
466KB, 1800x1200px
>>15167093
My conundrum w/ using SilCore over other games is that I want limbs to go flying.

I might just give up and kludge the mecha rules from battletech or mekton ontop of the resolution system for pendragon because I like easy to remember mechanics and references that fit on the character/mecha sheet.

Or use BRP mecha for the mecha creation and stats but totally ignore all the other rules. I already have the basic stats need for almost every mecha I would want to use.
>>
File: TS_MA2mod00.jpg (136KB, 960x697px) Image search: [Google]
TS_MA2mod00.jpg
136KB, 960x697px
>>15176488
Not a fan of the Moebius then?
>>
>>15175125
>>15175405
>>15175726
>>15176059

Right, so giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming this isn't an elaborate trolling attempt, there are a few significant reasons as to why I don't justify GARMs as superior to current military craft. The first may be that given the tone of the game I want to run, and the system I'd be using (BCG, which is pretty much SRW:the TTRPG), it's not really worth caring so much about realism.

More importantly: I, as the creator of the setting and the person who would be GMing the game in question, don't feel it's that important to spend that much time and energy justifying something that would matter less. Should someone want a game that involves tanks, starfighters, battleships, or helicopters being awesome, that is perfectly fine. By all means, more power to them. However, I am not obligated to run that game, nor am I obligated to alter my setting or game, nor am I to jump through hoops justifying things for the people who want that.
>>
>>15176518
I don't know which Gundam that is from, and unless it is somehow better than a gundam, which is unlikely given that it looks like a gundam is using the whatsit, that's irrelevant.

My post is directed at the assholes that decide that "rule of cool" does apply to mecha because they personally think tanks are cool therefore given the same tech a tank would be superior to a mecha. I mean, that's fucking obvious is most cases, which is several franchises come up with some bullshittium explanation on why mecha are a thing.
>>
File: 1367594283917.gif (309KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
1367594283917.gif
309KB, 500x340px
>>15176521
>>
>>15176521
I was that first one. My statement was based on your bit about how the war only turned around with the development of GARMs. Thus the question IS there: "okay what made them so important?". This is in no way trolling; it's asking what their niche is in the same way someone in the late 1910s might ask "what does one of these aero planes do that would in any way help the war?"

The two Silhouette examples:
Heavy Gears are cheap light, small, one-man humvees (in terms of production/economy) that can be dropped by the dozen from a single transport and can literally scale cliffs and large buildings.

Exo-Armors (Jovian Chronicles) are partly a propaganda piece (looks good on posters at least implied if not outright stated), but a particularly effective one due to their linear-frame control system: You move, the mech follows your movement. This allows them to recruit pilots from pools of jocks, athletes and the like en-masse, whereas a fighter pilot is basically programming maneuvers on the fly (Agility piloting for the mech, Creativity piloting for the fighter) and makes training a hell of a lot cheaper and faster.

It doesn't have to be much; especially if your actual intent was "I don't care they don't have to be better" (ie; opposite of mobile suits), but figuring out their main niche or advantages will actually help with the related parts of the setting's design, as well as when stating up models (as you've got clearer roles and intents).

Like, you didn't even state how big they are up there: If GARMs are fucking power-armor or exosuits (where your limbs aren't entirely running the length of the machine's own) then the humanoid bit is a pretty obvious reason, and the advantages are just try piloting a fucking heli through a people-scaled hallway underground.
>>
I know this is mostly RPG focused but I'm here, repping mecha miniatures games...

https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/heavy-gear-blitz-battle-report-150tv-cncs-vs-ast/
>>
>>15176509
>My conundrum w/ using SilCore over other games is that I want limbs to go flying.
You can do that in SilCore, look at the system damage charts and remember that sensors, manipulators, and movement systems (heads, arms, and legs) are systems.
>>
>>15177939
Indeed.
Consider some of the heavier results on the movement table are movement halved or eliminated. For a walker that's pretty clear what happened.

One thing though; actual decapitation on the lighter gears (usually only heavies/assaults avoid this) can mean pilot decapitation too, depending on the model.
>>
>>15176395
Read the thread.

>>15176059
Let me outline why you're a fucking moron: If you like Thing more than Other Thing, don't go into a game focused on Other Thing and bitch about how Thing is better. Doing so makes you a massive faggot.
>>
>>15177962
SilCore is also used in JC, and can generically be used for any style of giant robot game, so a sensor destroyed result being a mecha decapitation in other settings isn't a problem.
>>
>>15176597
>(Agility piloting for the mech, Creativity piloting for the fighter)

not him but, where is this? I'm guessing it's in the silcore rulebook but fuck me if it doesn't make it hard to find
>>
>>15177967
You're retarded. Rule of cool opens up options and allows things, not blocks shit off. Even gundam has fucking mobile armors (how did no one mention those yet earlier). You gonna sit there and go "no, Big Rang is the wrong cool you shouldn't"? If you're writing a setting and are so narrow fucking minded as to imagine no one is even ALLOWED to say something like they wanna play the Raiser, when on top of that you've stated you don't even want to have to think about the setting's mecha, what in the fuck are you even here for then? You don't actually want to fucking do anything, what are you gonna run?

>>15177993
Not silcore, earlier Jovian Chronicles rulebook. Silcore's ... think "D&D 3.5", in that it's a slightly-updated version of the heavy gear and jovian chronicles rules.
>>
File: 1367593057310.jpg (31KB, 272x320px) Image search: [Google]
1367593057310.jpg
31KB, 272x320px
>>15177939
>>15177962
Yeah I noticed that on a more through read through.
So, this might come off weird, but as I've been looking through all these different other games from the viewpoint of "how much of its mecha rules can I lift wholescale into Pendragon" I haven't really bothered digging into the attributes and skills section of SilCore. I'm not really digging the attributes, skills, and secondary attributes thing, and the fact that damage is a multiplier off of the margin of success of an attack roll means I can't just port in the SilCore mecha rules without doing some hardcore tinkering, which will end up affecting armor as well.

>>15178110
>You're retarded. Rule of cool opens up options and allows things, not blocks shit off. Even gundam has fucking mobile armors (how did no one mention those yet earlier). You gonna sit there and go "no, Big Rang is the wrong cool you shouldn't"? If you're writing a setting and are so narrow fucking minded as to imagine no one is even ALLOWED to say something like they wanna play the Raiser, when on top of that you've stated you don't even want to have to think about the setting's mecha, what in the fuck are you even here for then? You don't actually want to fucking do anything, what are you gonna run?

No you're retarded. Mobile armor is basically a mobile suit on roids, and therefore aren't the same kind of shit be talked about, i.e. the stupidity of claiming "Rule of Cool" means you get to shit up a mecha game by insisting you get to pilot a fucking tank or fighter jet if the fiction or rules make mecha out to the top of the food chain.
>>
>>15178110
>Rule of cool opens up options and allows things, not blocks shit off.
>says the anon bitching that everything else MUST be better than mechs
>>
>>15178131
Pendragon is similar to BRP, so use BRP mecha.
>>
>>15178110
Let me outline even further why you're the biggest fucking moron ever:
"Rule of cool means the thing I like should be better than the thing you like" is basically what you're doing. You're just trying to twist "rule of cool" to serve the purpose of being disruptive in the game. You are That Guy, and any sane GM should just kick your dumb ass from the table.
>>
>>15178162
Precisely what I've been wanting to say for a while now.

Rule of cool opens up options and allows things. As such, mecha should be a viable option capable of holding their own in comparison to more conventional technology, despite "realism" claiming that they'd be less practical and effective. Because it's just cooler that way.
>>
>>15178131
Mobile armor is literally mobile-suit techs (like minovsky drives, beam weapons, etc) applied to NON mobile suit designs.

They're actually next-gen replacements of what used to be tanks, planes and other stuff.
>>
>>15178236
>applied to NON mobile suit designa
Psycho Gundam says hi.
>>
>>15178241
Psycho-Gundam is a transformable mobile-armor with an MS mode, not a mobile suit with an armor mode.
>>
>>15178254
Although it's worth noting that its MP version as well as descendants are actually mobile-suits.

Mobile-armor includes SEED's Mobius and Exus, both of which have performance and capabilities similar to same-gen mobile suits.

Most mobile-armor however tends to be massive compared to mobile suits depending on which series you're talking about.

And then there's Big Zam, who the fuck knows WHAT they were thinking with that one, other than what would happen once it's mass-produced!
>>
Mobile Armors basically operate on Boss Monster logic, they're bigger scarier and more expensive model kits whose only purpose is for the MCs to overcome with their visually distinct model kit advertisements in a climactic battle. And they aren't tanks and fighters, they're even bigger big robots, so this whole argument is bunk. A giant robot is a giant robot, humanoid or not.
>>
>>15178333
Actually, there's smaller ones as well. Y'all would likely be better off saying "not complete humanoid bipeds" though as mobile armors range from transformable mobile armors like that ugly-ass Asshimar (it looks like a tau gundrone) which have a humanoid-if-ugly form, the Messala and Gaplant (I love those), to stranger things like the Zakrello or MIP-X1.

Some are small, some are big, but generally speaking the main difference is that while they're the same tech as mobile suits (unlike a regular ship, fighter or tank or helicopter) they're not quite proper-human-looking, judging from looking through a few dozen just now.

The term's annoyingly vague if you ask me. They're certainly all giant robots, so it's just a matter of the shape.
>>
>>15178333
>Mobile Armors basically operate on Boss Monster logic

Except that most Mobile Armors -- at least, orthodox (that is, Tomino) MAs -- pretty much all have glass jaws.
>>
>>15178370
Boss monsters always have an exploitable weakness, so you can hit the weak point for massive damage.
>>
>>15175699
>Battletech is anime as all fuck

please explain why
>>
>>15178220
>Rule of cool opens up options and allows things. As such, mecha should be a viable option capable of holding their own in comparison to more conventional technology, despite "realism" claiming that they'd be less practical and effective. Because it's just cooler that way.

This x10,000
>>
>>15178172
Last night I noticed that the SilCore Damage Multiplier is similar to rolling #d6 equal to the DM. Coincidentally, Pendragon uses d6s for damage. It looks like the range of armor compared to range of expected damage is similar enough between the two games.
>>
>>15178876
Read the thread.
>>
Say, mgg, I hereby humbly request your help.
I have been an SRW fan for some time, and I happen to also like tabletop games (as in - board games, not to be mixed with RPG's, or wargames). I've seen good recommendations in this thread for RPG's, and some for wargames.
Would you have recommendations for board games that involve mecha (ideal Super Robots, since we're at it)?
I assume Japan must have quite a few that didn't come our way - would you have any idea where to look for these on the web?

Thanks for your help!

As for the forbidden topic of SRW video games, I'd recommend asking /srwg/.
>>
It's time for the latest episode of my campaign report: THE WORLD'S SMALLEST COLONY DROP

Having been double crossed by everyone simultaneously, our heroes have ended up working alongside their rogue mentor to try and stop a conspiracy that has them all confused.

Three operations appear to present themselves - apprehend the commander of Novak's army, currently off visiting one of their garrisons, intercept the CEO of the highly suspicious Sendai Corporation, currently about to take off on his private jet to the city he's been handed on a platter, or investigate a strange communications dark spot in the middle of the ocean that receives heavy air traffic.

As the mysterious bit of ocean was fucking huge and in the middle of enemy territory, Fiona had a very clever idea based on her memories of watching Heavy Armour Astelion, a popular anime franchise. If they dropped a satellite on the target area, it would break up in orbit and if there was a floating facility there the Novak army would either intercept the falling debris (revealing their location) or evacuate (revealing their location.)

Somehow this plan was approved, and Alpha Team set about hijacking a telecoms satellite to drop. Meanwhile, our heroes got aboard a cargo plane and started flying towards Novak to apprehend the CEO.

Things went slightly wrong once they were over the airspace of Soko, Novak's ally. Ordered to land or be fired upon, Fiona panicked and with the help of Professor Spectre, the team engineer, made up a story about how they had an "unknown xeno contagion" on board (actually Spectre's alien lab assistant Eric doped up to the eyeballs) and were flying to the CDC. This did not exactly work and Novak troops surrounded the grounded, quarantined plane, at which point they gunned the engine and booked it towards the Novak commander-in-chief's location. At about the same time their very small colony drop was intercepted by an anti-orbital laser fired from an apparently empty ocean. (1/2)
>>
>>15187176
They caught up with the Novak commander and his escort - he was a sniper who hid far behind his own troops, underwater, and tried to fire from concealment while his grunts bought time.

Somehow Fiona was able to talk them down from attacking with appeals to justice, courage and explaining that while this war has made her outcast, delinquent and beyond salvation, her soul had not sunk so low as to hide behind her own men. He said that whatever they wanted would be found at the floating facility, and there the real battle began.

The leader of the "unified planetary government" introduced by emergency measures was the son of the Sendai Corporation's CEO, a cocky street magician looking prick with bad-boy bishounen hair.

It turned out he was defending the facility with an experimental mech built just for him by his family's corporation. Before he could get into his smug speech about how we had no chance to survive, Fiona interjected - with the help of her new ally and best friend Jotaro, a mecha otaku whose mech was built around wielding a massive flaming sword, short-ranged energy beams and a shield.

With a speech that began "STOP!" and ended "I have no name for the likes of you" she made it quite clear that the bastard who had taken over her country was going down. Unfortunately he put up a hell of a fight, his mech having almost limitless - but unstable - power and a powerful barrier. With most of her weapons still locked behind the limiter, her mech crippled and her enemy about to fire, Fiona smashed the glass over her emergency limiter release, tearing the motivational speech from Seigiga she had pinned to it as a reminder of what she fought for, and with a glowing red eye the Ark Gear smashed the head of the Novak mech in with one blow from its chainsaw gauntlet.

The enemy surrendered, and then things got very weird. (TO BE CONTINUED...)
>>
>>15187201
>>15187176
It turned out the war had started over Novak's discovery of limitless energy in its oceans, an algae that was a hugely efficient biofuel, but can only grow on this one planet. Fiona's own country had planned to sell it to the highest bidder, privatising it and opening the bidding up to the other colonies. Novak had planned to keep it a secret and use it to become powerful, absorb the other nations on the planet and start a unified colonial independence movement.

Neither option seems great, but currently the team is thinking the best option is to industrially farm the algae, export the fuel derived from it and effectively become a ludicrously rich trade hub.

Thus the session ended...
>>
>>15178886
i agree
>>
>>15178369
>that ugly-ass Asshimar
I'm sorry we can't be friends any more, Anon.
>>
Probably the last post before this thread hits autosage, but let me pick your brains for a second /mgg/.

If you were writing up a Gundam setting that developed FTL space travel and went interstellar, would you include intelligent alien species or just keep it human-centric?
>>
>>15193942
make a new thread for /m/|/tg/ games and link back to this as a previous thread and you'll probably get more traction.

As for the question, I probably would include aliens if it was for a tabletop game I was running . That being said I hope that Gundam itself never does.
>>
>>15178886
I agree
Thread posts: 302
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.